PDA

View Full Version : Broncos give vet Robertson a shot

Lonestar
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Staring at a draft filled with question marks and uncertainties at defensive tackle, the Broncos have decided a veteran risk was better than a risk with no experience.

That's why the team, in on-and-off talks in recent weeks, had kept pushing for a deal for defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson that finally was filed with the NFL on Thursday.

However, Robertson's health is a big enough question mark that coach Mike Shanahan said last month the player had already failed the Broncos' physical because of his troublesome knees.

At the time, Shanahan said, "Whenever a guy fails your physical, it's never good. . . . Because you take a look at his knees - he still played 80 percent of his games - but you are taking a risk."

This year's draft board is wafer thin at defensive tackle once you get past Louisiana State's Glenn Dorsey and Southern Cal's Sedrick Ellis. And the Broncos had little chance of getting either, with Dorsey expected to go to the Rams at the No. 2 pick and Ellis not long after.

After those two, there is only uncertainty about players at the position, either about their on-field play or off-field character.

So the Broncos have surrendered a conditional pick in the 2009 draft, depending how much Robertson plays this season. And they already have the framework in place for a new deal for Robertson.

All for a player the Jets were expected to release before June to escape paying a $3 million roster bonus.

Robertson's knees are a concern - the Bengals scuttled a deal, also for two draft picks, last month because of his physical condition - but he has played in 16 games in four of his five seasons in the league. And he has started at least 15 games in four of his seasons.
Turn back the clock

Broncos safety John Lynch is not participating in the team's offseason conditioning program because he said he wants to "go back to my roots, as far as getting myself ready to play."

"(Broncos strength coach) Rich Tuten is the best strength coach in the league, but I just decided if I'm going to give this one more run, for one more year, I'm going to do it on my terms," Lynch said. "There are some people who believe my best days are behind me, and (the Broncos have) told me the competition for the spot is wide open, so I'm doing what I think gives me the best chance to get on the field."

Since he was a high school player in Southern California, Lynch has worked with noted conditioning coach Pete Egoscue, who gained notoriety working with Jack Nicklaus and several NFL players.

That continued while Lynch was with the Buccaneers, who allowed him to return to San Diego in the offseason to work with Egoscue. But since he signed with the Broncos in 2004, Denver's coaches have said they preferred he work out at the team's Dove Valley complex, which he has done.

However, having been told his job is on the line, Lynch wanted to put in more time with Egoscue to have a more varied training regimen. So, with Shanahan's blessing, he has returned to San Diego several times this offseason for a week at a time to work out.

Lynch said he will attend all of the Broncos' minicamps.

Not long ago, though, after he was asked to redo his deal, Lynch believed he would be playing elsewhere in '08. But then came an 11th-hour discussion with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

Lynch originally had been scheduled to earn a $2 million base salary in '08 to go with a $1.12 million roster bonus that was to be paid in March. However, in his reworked deal, he forfeited the roster bonus and agreed to a $1.5 million base salary and $500,000 signing bonus.

The Broncos also guaranteed $250,000 of his base salary. He could earn the $1.12 million bonus back if he and the team reach several incentives that include playing time and a playoff appearance.

Draft tidbits

A couple of odds and ends to remember during draft weekend . . .

* Packers general manager Ted Thompson has overseen eight drafts as a personnel executive and has traded down 14 times. He has traded up, uh, zero times.

* Most in the league expect the first three rounds to include some unexpected selections because more teams than ever are primed to draft early for need instead of the best player on the board.

* Watch the effect of off-field woes in the current league climate on Mario Manningham. The wide receiver handed out a letter at his Pro Day in which he basically admitted to failing two drug tests at Michigan and that he had lied to every team he talked to at the combine about his 2007 suspension: He had said it was because of work ethic when it was actually the failed drug tests.

NUMBERS GAME

2 Division I-AA players in the past 10 years have been among the first 30 draft selections - cornerback Rashard Anderson (No. 23, Carolina, 2000) and wide receiver Sylvester Morris (No. 21, Kansas City, 2000), both from Jackson State. Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco is hoping to become the third.

ALMOST PERFECT

Michigan tackle Jake Long is so disciplined and skilled that he was penalized only twice in 42 college games.

He was called for holding as a freshman - he started 10 games at right tackle that season - and for a false start in 2007.

ON SHAKY GROUND

The University of Miami has had a player taken in the first round of 13 consecutive drafts, but that streak is in jeopardy.

By their previous standards, the Hurricanes' draft crop is thin, and most teams rate defensive end Calais Campbell, a Denver native, and safety Kenny Phillips as early second-round picks with slight opportunities to sneak into the first round.

HE SAID IT

"I take it personally. I wanted to make sure that I was perfect and not let up a sack, but Vernon is a great player and he had a good move on me and I let it up."

Long, whom the Dolphins signed as the No. 1 pick, on surrendering one sack in '07, to Ohio State's Vernon Gholston.

THE LONG AND THE SHORTLIST OF IT

Virginia defensive end Chris Long will join some select company this weekend - draftees whose fathers have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Father Inducted Son Drafted Team

Tony Dorsett 1994 Anthony Dorsett 1996 Houston

Bob Griese 1990 Brian Griese 1998 Broncos

Don Shula 1997 Mike Shula 1987 Tampa Bay

Kellen Winslow 1995 Kellen Winslow 2004 Cleveland

Howie Long 2000 Chris Long 2008 -

DenBronx
04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
dang...long only gave up one sack last year and it was against gholston? this guy is going to be a mauler at the next level....i wish we could have got him.

goods news is clady only gave up 3.

btw jwriz, 4 more post and your at 6000!!!!!!!!!