PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want?

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Tomorrow is one of the strangest days in all of sports. Yet none of us can turn our eyes away.

For approximately eight hours on Saturday and another eight on Sunday, many National Football League fans will be glued to their television, as an NFL suit, be it Roger Goodell or some other exec, will march to the podium every ten minutes and call out one name.

And we're riveted.

We're riveted by the Mock Drafts that started being circulated the minute after the 2007 Draft ended. We're riveted by what our team might do, and who they might trade with and who they might select. And we're riveted by Mel Kiper's hair (I don't think it has moved in the 15 years I've been watching the draft).

Draft talk has trumped everything on the radio and in your local major daily, and its focused on ESPN as much, if not more than the NBA Playoffs (Real, actual games).

And still, there I will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow, staring at the television and wondering who is going to be chosen next.

So...who do you want?

There seems to be three factions of Broncos fans right now when it comes to the No. 12 pick.

Fan 1 wants an offensive tackle to replace future Ring of Famer Matt Lepsis.

Fan 2 wants a running back that will bring the Denver running game back to the dominant force it was with Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis at the helm.

And Fan 3 wants to trade down to acquire more picks, specifically a third-round pick, which the Broncos lack after giving up way too much for a defensive tackle last year.

While no one will argue with Fan 3, that, of course is the harder of the three options since it requires another team to want to move up. Maybe Matt Ryan drops down and someone is willing to trade up and get him. Or maybe Arizona wants Keith Rivers and thinks Carolina will take him at No. 13, so they have to get to No. 12 to get him. All sorts of trade scenarios could be played out, and we’d never predict it right.

In Fan 1’s scenario, the Broncos are looking at any one of four guys: Ryan Clady of Boise State, Jeff Otah of Pittsburgh, Chris Williams of Vanderbilt and Brandon Albert of Virginia.

In Fan 2’s scenario, the Broncos are looking at Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois or Jonathan Stewart of Oregon.

I’ve been very clear that I’m Fan No. 1. I think this team needs a solid left tackle. However, we can’t afford another George Foster, an under-motivated player, who had all the physical tools, but never turned it in to production. So who do I think is the best player at that spot? Right now, Ryan Clady. I’ve stated that all along, and I’ll stick with it. My second choice would by Chris Williams out of Vanderbilt, who we know knows Jay, and who we know is an intelligent young tackle. I’m not going to pretend to be a scout, but that’s my layman’s assessment of the situation.

In Scenario 2, I’d rather have Mendenhall. I remember him eating up the Ohio State defense in that crazy game at the Horseshoe last year. That was the moment I said, “man, he’s pretty good, and I wouldn’t mind having him on the Broncos.”

If we can find a trade partner, I think taking Stewart or Otah might be the best options for this team later in the first round, unless Mendenhall slips, which I think is a possibility.

So...who do you want?

Here’s my mock...it’s not perfect, and I guess I’m not stepping out on to any limbs, but hey, gotta give it a go. Everyone else does.

I think if you look at teams that may trade down, it has to be Kansas City, New Orleans and Denver, but then you have to ask if there are people that want to move up to get anyone?

My Mock
1, Miami Dolphins – Jake Long, T, Michigan
2, St. Louis Rams – Chris Long, DE, Virginia
3, Atlanta Falcons – Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
4, Oakland Raiders – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
5, Kansas City Chiefs – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
6, New York Jets – Vernon Gholston, DE/LB, Ohio State
7, New England Patriots – Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
8, Baltimore Ravens – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
9, Cincinnati Bengals – Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
10, New Orleans Saints – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
11, Buffalo Bills – Keith Rivers, LB, USC
12, Denver Broncos – Ryan Clady, T, Boise State
13, Carolina Panthers – Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
14, Chicago Bears – Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
15, Detroit Lions – Branden Albert, G, Virginia
16, Arizona Cardinals – Jeff Otah, T, Pittsburgh
17, Kansas City Chiefs – Chris Williams, T, Vanderbilt
18, Houston Texans – Jerod Mayo, OLB, Tennessee
19, Philadelphia Eagles – Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
20, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
21, Washington Redskins – Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
22, Dallas Cowboys – Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
23, Pittsburgh Steelers – Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
24, Tennessee Titans – DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
25, Seattle Seahawks – Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
26, Jacksonville Jaguars – Dan Connor, ILB, Penn State
27, San Diego Chargers – James Hardy, WR, Indiana
28, Dallas Cowboys – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
29, San Francisco 49ers – Mario Manningham, WR, Michign
30, Green Bay Packers – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
31, New York Giants – Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Great write up MissouriBronc.

I'm definitely a mixture of fan two and three. I want to trade down a few spots and take Jonathan Stewart (because I reckon he will fall a few spots after the surgery).

By the way, your mock draft looks really good APART from Stewart dropping to 30. There is no way that happens surgery or not.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Great write up MissouriBronc.

I'm definitely a mixture of fan two and three. I want to trade down a few spots and take Jonathan Stewart (because I reckon he will fall a few spots after the surgery).

By the way, your mock draft looks really good APART from Stewart dropping to 30. There is no way that happens surgery or not.

I know, I kept looking at him going...well, are they gonna take a shot at him...are they gonna take a shot at him...and everytime it was a no, at least in my mind...

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
It really didn't have anything to do with his injury, though...

claymore
04-25-2008, 02:40 PM
To be honest Im confused on who I want. There are a number of different scenarios that would be appealing to me.

OT 1st, Saftey second
or
RB first, OT second.......

Ideal for me would be Mendenhall 1st, and luck into Cherilus in the 2nd.

Skinny
04-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Good stuff MB.

Lately, i've been leaning toward Rodgers-Cromartie. The talks of him playing Safety (McShay) are really intriguing to me. I would love to see his athletic ability at that position in our secondary. Pack on a little more weight of course.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:42 PM
To be honest Im confused on who I want. There are a number of different scenarios that would be appealing to me.

OT 1st, Saftey second
or
RB first, OT second.......

Ideal for me would be Mendenhall 1st, and luck into Cherilus in the 2nd.

I want Clady...like I said...but I'm not going to be upset with anyone...I think that this draft has a lot of talented players. Now, I don't think it's got just sure super-star power at the top, it's just pretty solid all the way into the fourth round even...so I'll be OK with whoever Shanahan decides on...

Although...if we go WR...my opinion on this issue might change.

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
It really didn't have anything to do with his injury, though...

Are you saying you think he would drop to 30 EVEN without the injury?

Because there were talks of him going at #6 before the surgery.

claymore
04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I want Clady...like I said...but I'm not going to be upset with anyone...I think that this draft has a lot of talented players. Now, I don't think it's got just sure super-star power at the top, it's just pretty solid all the way into the fourth round even...so I'll be OK with whoever Shanahan decides on...

Although...if we go WR...my opinion on this issue might change.LOL, man am I pissed we dont have a 3rd this year.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Are you saying you think he would drop to 30 EVEN without the injury?

Because there were talks of him going at #6 before the surgery.

But that talk has really died off...I guess we'll see tomorrow...

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
But that talk has really died off...I guess we'll see tomorrow...

It died off after his surgery in my opinion. I have no problems taking Stewart at 12 even with the injury. The thing is I get the feeling he will drop a few spots, in the case we might as well trade down (if possible) and pick up an extra pick. I have been moaning abou the offensive line HARD for the last 3 seasons so I really want an OT. However, Stewart is just too good to pass up on.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
It died off after his surgery in my opinion. I have no problems taking Stewart at 12 even with the injury. The thing is I get the feeling he will drop a few spots, in the case we might as well trade down (if possible) and pick up an extra pick. I have been moaning abou the offensive line HARD for the last 3 seasons so I really want an OT. However, Stewart is just too good to pass up on.

I think you have to look at the guys who are around 9-13 on draft boards...which for me are Clady, McKelvin, Williams, Stewart and Rivers. If a team like Arizona, at 16 or Houston at 18 really want Rivers and he falls to 12...then that's a real possibility. But, of Carolina, Chicago and Detroit are any of them going to take him? Plus, I don't think he gets past Buffalo anyway...and is Detroit going to see a guy like Williams and say, "well, we can take our chances on him dropping, or get Otah, and not trade any picks..." and stay put?

I'm just looking at these 9-13 guys on the board and not really seeing guys that I would make a move to get...not saying an NFL GM wouldn't, I just wouldn't.

If you like Clady and Williams, you can get Otah, and maybe Cherilus in the second. If you like Stewart, he might drop anyway. If you like Rivers, there's Dan Connor and Jerod Mayo down the list...I think there are a lot of comparable players in this draft, so its extra hard to predict trades this year, imo.

tubby
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I want to trade down a little, picking up a 3rd in the process, and select Jerod Mayo.

I highly doubt HOU takes Mayo at #18, they have DeMeco Ryans.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I want to trade down a little, picking up a 3rd in the process, and select Jerod Mayo.

I highly doubt HOU takes Mayo at #18, they have DeMeco Ryans.

I thought he was a Mike...

tubby
04-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought he was a Mike...

Yeah, they both are.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they both are.

I thought Mayo was OLB...

tubby
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't you think the chiefs will take Gholston if he's there at #5?

Rex
04-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I want the Chiefs to draft Todd Blythe

claymore
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
:rofl:

tubby
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM

I would turn on Todd Blythe so fast I would throw my back out.

Timmy!
04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Round 1: RB Stewart
Round 2: DT Laws
Round 3 (trade late 4th & late 5th): OT (best available...Brown?)
Round 4: S Zbikowski
Round 5: OL McMackin
Round 6: K Mehlhaff
Round 7a: WR Dillion :D
Round 7b: WR Blythe :D

mclark
04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I've got two scenarios, like many Bronco fans:

Round 1
1. Branden Albert, OT/OG, Virginia
Round 2
2. Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
Round 4
3. Beau Bell, MLB/OLB, UNLV
4. Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
Round 5
5. Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
6. Frank Okam, DT, Texas
Round 6
7. Corey Lynch, S, Appalachian State
Round 7
7. Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia
8. Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas

or if we go for a splash:

Round 1
1. Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
Round 2
2. Sam Baker, OT, USC
Round 4
3. Beau Bell, MLB/OLB, UNLV
4. Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
Round 5
5. Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
6. Thaddeus Coleman, OT, Mississippi Valley State
Round 6
7. Corey Lynch, S, Appalachian State
Round 7
8. Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia
9. Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas

slim
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I want OL and DL with our first two picks. If we take a RB at 12, I hope it is Mendenhall.

Davii
04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I want Jessica Alba.

slim
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I want Jessica Alba.

I want a chalupa and some nachos.

Davii
04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I want a chalupa and some nachos.

Damn. That sounds good. How about a REAL Philly Cheese Steak? I could go for that. Or some Kielbasa.

slim
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
The draft is only a few hours away. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight...and even if I fall asleep I am sure I will dream about large men in tight pants.

yardog
04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
The draft is only a few hours away. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight...and even if I fall asleep I am sure I will dream about large men in tight pants.

More info than I needed slim. :tsk:

Ziggy
04-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Great read MB. I'm hoping Denver starts investing in the OL early and often. I wouldn't be heartbroken if they spent thier 1st and 2nd rd picks on the line.

Hoshdude7
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
J STewart!!!