PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have plethora of choices for TE

Lonestar
04-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Broncos have plethora of choices for TE
POSTED: 04/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 04/20/2010 07:46:28 AM MDT

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

The draft is a passion for NFL reporter Jeff Legwold, who evaluates several hundred players each year during the months leading up to the annual selections. Legwold offers his insights daily in The Denver Post, with additional entries found at denverpost.com/ premiumbroncos.

With the Broncos' trade of tight end Tony Scheffler, they have a vacancy to fill on offense with a deep group to consider in this year's draft.

Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, who missed the 2009 season with a knee injury, is the top player at the position. At 6-feet-5 and 261 pounds, he has the size Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wants at the position.

Other intriguing players who fit the Broncos' mold at the position include Miami's Jimmy Graham (6-6, 260 pounds), a former basketball player with quality down-the-field skills. There's Arizona's Ron Gronkowski (6-6, 261), a top-rated player who is a bit of a medical concern because he missed the 2009 season after having back surgery. The Broncos had Gronkowski in for a predraft visit.

A couple of players down the board who deserve a look are Kansas State's Jeron Mastrund (6-5, 256), a former wide receiver who played in 48 games and graduated in 3 1/2 years; and Tennessee's Brad Cottam (6-6, 262).

Northman
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I would like them to take Hernandez from Florida.

slim
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Dick Quinn will get it done :welcome:

Lancane
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I would like them to take Hernandez from Florida.

I second that...

Watch us draft Pouncey, Tebow and Hernandez...lol.

claymore
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM

I hope he works out. I was pretty high on him after we drafted him. I expected alot more out of him.

slim
04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I hope he works out. I was pretty high on him after we drafted him. I expected alot more out of him.

He better work out. I wasn't happy with the trade to get him, at all.

Broncolingus
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

"Do you know that a 'plethora' is?"

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/El%20Guapo.jpg

shank
04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
i vote for a healthy combo of dick and dan

Ziggy
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
He better work out. I wasn't happy with the trade to get him, at all.

The trade where we gave up 2- 3rd's for a 2nd and a 4th? We got Quinn and Seth Olsen in that trade. Olsen may be our starting LG this year. I wouldn't write off that trade as a bad one just yet.

slim
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
The trade where we gave up 2- 3rd's for a 2nd and a 4th? We got Quinn and Seth Olsen in that trade. Olsen may be our starting LG this year. I wouldn't write off that trade as a bad one just yet.

I'm not writing anything off, yet.

But when you trade up to take a blocking TE in the 2nd round, he better be a 10 year starter.

broncofaninfla
04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Jury is still out on Quinn but he didn't show me one inkling of anything postive last year except blocking a pass on a busted special teams play. As for Graham, he seemed to be a favorite target in a lot of the bubble screens. I understand the TE's are primarily blockers in Mcd's system but it would be nice to have one who can stretch teh field as well.

Northman
04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm not writing anything off, yet.

But when you trade up to take a blocking TE in the 2nd round, he better be a 10 year starter.

Yea, i didnt like all the reaching up that we did last year. I hope we do the opposite this year and trade down which usually does wonders for NE.

slim
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Yea, i didnt like all the reaching up that we did last year. I hope we do the opposite this year and trade down which usually does wonders for NE.

Absolutely.

This team needs as many 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as they can get.

Lonestar
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I personally do not see the need for another TE this year.

But that said the NE model dictates that a TE is drafted each year.

dogfish
04-20-2010, 05:39 PM

didn't know you were such a big fan of dick, slim. . . .

Lancane
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
POSTED: 04/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 04/20/2010 07:46:28 AM MDT

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

The draft is a passion for NFL reporter Jeff Legwold, who evaluates several hundred players each year during the months leading up to the annual selections. Legwold offers his insights daily in The Denver Post, with additional entries found at denverpost.com/ premiumbroncos.

With the Broncos' trade of tight end Tony Scheffler, they have a vacancy to fill on offense with a deep group to consider in this year's draft.

Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, who missed the 2009 season with a knee injury, is the top player at the position. At 6-feet-5 and 261 pounds, he has the size Broncos coach Josh McDaniels wants at the position.

Other intriguing players who fit the Broncos' mold at the position include Miami's Jimmy Graham (6-6, 260 pounds), a former basketball player with quality down-the-field skills. There's Arizona's Ron Gronkowski (6-6, 261), a top-rated player who is a bit of a medical concern because he missed the 2009 season after having back surgery. The Broncos had Gronkowski in for a predraft visit.

A couple of players down the board who deserve a look are Kansas State's Jeron Mastrund (6-5, 256), a former wide receiver who played in 48 games and graduated in 3 1/2 years; and Tennessee's Brad Cottam (6-6, 262).

Legwold missed a load of names that should be mentioned that are mid-round graded tight end prospects.

slim
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
didn't know you were such a big fan of dick, slim. . . .

I love Dick. :welcome:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
2 words...Dennis Pitta

Broncolingus
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I love Dick. :welcome:

"I expect better manners from you, Dick..."

http://www.liketotally80s.com/images/john_bender_3.jpg

turftoad
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey wait, I thought McD moved up to the second round to pick a TE last year.

Why would we pick a TE in the 2nd or 3rd to draft a pass catching TE?

Lonestar
04-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey wait, I thought McD moved up to the second round to pick a TE last year.

Why would we pick a TE in the 2nd or 3rd to draft a pass catching TE?
I just posted the story as written.

BUT if Josh follows the NE model we will get a TE sometime in the draft. they did it almost every year since Bill came to town.

atwater27
04-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Why draft another tight end? We don't use the ones we got anyway.

Ziggy
04-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Why draft another tight end? We don't use the ones we got anyway.

Wrong. The tight ends play a critical role in this offense. It just happens to be blocking more often than it is catching the ball.

atwater27
04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Wrong. The tight ends play a critical role in this offense. It just happens to be blocking more often than it is catching the ball.

Of course. But the thread was suggesting a high pick, and talks of Gresham. I would possibly commit suicide if we select a tight end in the 1st 3 rounds. ESPECIALLY if it is a pass catcher.

dogfish
04-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Of course. But the thread was suggesting a high pick, and talks of Gresham. I would possibly commit suicide if we select a tight end in the 1st 3 rounds. ESPECIALLY if it is a pass catcher.

yea, i don't understand the desire to draft a TE at all. . .

we pay graham one of the highest TE salaries in the league, and we just traded up to take a TE in the 2nd last year. . .

if all we use them for is blocking, why not bring in a moderately priced vet instead of spending a valuable draft pick on a third stringer? when graham left the pats, they replaced him with. . . kyle brady!

edit: of course,it's just possible that we might spend #11 on a tight end. . . .

tim tebow. . .