PDA

View Full Version : Tecmo Bowl Throwback

Shazam!
04-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Tecmo Bowl Throwback Hands-on
A wonderful trip down memory lane.
by Nate Ahearn
IGN

April 19, 2010 - The original Tecmo Bowl was one of my favorite games as a child. I'll never forget the hours I spent playing as some of my favorite pro teams for the first time. Fast-forward more than twenty years and Tecmo is treating gamers to a remake of the SNES classic Tecmo Super Bowl, a football experience that isn't all that different from the original NES game. The remake, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, is the latest entry in the hallowed series that blends HD graphics seamlessly with the old school 2D look, while the gameplay retains its simplicity -- regardless of visual style. Tecmo Bowl Throwback is scheduled to launch in the next few weeks on PlayStation 3 ($9.99) and Xbox Live (800 Microsoft Points).

The coolest thing about Tecmo Bowl Throwback is the fact that you have the ability to switch between picture-perfect 2D visuals and new-school graphics with that coveted third dimension and an expanded color palette. It's a great feeling to break off a huge run and switch between the 3D view and the old school visuals as you sprint downfield. What's even more impressive is that Tecmo has been able to keep the animations and feel of the movements on the field consistent, regardless of the graphics. That means that switching between the two different looks won't provide a strategic advantage to either player.

While being able to scrub between the new HD visuals and the old, pixely sprites is undoubtedly cool, I can't help but think that users would be able to get more bang for their buck if the developers had separated the two presentation styles into different modes. As it stands, the array of moves are limited to two buttons, no matter the visuals on-screen. You pass with one button, you switch your targeted receivers and players on defense (though never during a play) with another and you run with the left analog stick with the ability to break out of tackles by frantically tapping on a button. There's no speed burst, no hurdle, and no dive button. Yes, Tecmo Bowl Throwback is football at its simplest, so don't expect to find a replacement for Madden.

From my relatively limited experience with Tecmo Bowl Throwback, I can say that there's a lot of nostalgic fun to be had, though it's not quite the same feeling as it was back in the good old days, due to the lack of the NFL license. It also doesn't help that you can't create your own team, at least not in my preview version. Tecmo claims "customizable teams" as being included, but that only allows you to edit current squads. Thankfully every pro NFL city is represented, so it shouldn't take you all that long to get the proper rosters locked in.

For ten bucks, you get a few modes including season, quick play and a few multiplayer options. There's tournament play online, along with standard quick games. At five dollars, this package would've been loved by gamers the world over, but at ten bucks I'm a little concerned that some will be too intimidated to take the plunge into what could (at least for younger players) appear to be an unproven football title.

Tecmo Bowl Throwback certainly lives up to the "Throwback" portion of its title. Even with the new 3D graphics flipped on, the movement is identical to the old style which enables players to switch between 2D and 3D at will. It seems like this handcuffs the play experience slightly, as moves are still constrained to the old two-button setup. Tecmo Bowl Throwback seems like it will provide players with a nice trip down memory lane when it launches on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network in the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for IGN's full review.

I think this game will be more like Super Tecmo Bowl (not Tecmo Super Bowl).

http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/107/1073438/tecmo-bowl-throwback-20100302003744349_640w.jpg

http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/107/1073438/tecmo-bowl-throwback-20100302003801035_640w.jpg