PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Robertson a Bronco

nj10
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Not sure if it has been posted yet but it was just announced on NFL Live. We traded "Undisclosed draft picks"

underrated29
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah,

give me more, give me more.

picks? please nothing before 5.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3365432

Jets receive undisclosed draft pick or picks from Broncos for Robertson

The New York Jets traded defensive lineman Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos for an undisclosed draft pick or picks, ESPN.com's Bill Williamson reported Thursday.

The Jets had agreed to send Robertson to Cincinnati on the first weekend of the NFL trading period for fourth- and fifth-round picks, but because of a knee issue he didn't pass the Bengals' physical.

The Broncos were close to trading for him in mid-March but talks stalled when the team suddenly fired general manager Ted Sundquist on March 12. Sundquist was the point man in the talks with the Jets.

Robertson's contract will have to be restructured and the Broncos have been in on- and off-again talks with his agent, Hadley Engelhard, for several weeks. Robertson is due a $3 million bonus in June and has salary cap number of about $11 million for this season. Thus, Denver would have to redo the deal to make it fiscally worthwhile, especially with the Broncos in a cost-conscious mode this offseason.

Robertson, 26, was the No. 4 overall draft pick in the 2003 draft out of Kentucky. He had 57 tackles for the Jets last season.

nj10
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Mo, I was looking for that.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
So maybe like a 4th and a sixth?

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
So we have to be going for OT at No. 12...right...

We've signed two linebackers, three wide receivers and a defensive tackle...

Drill-N-Fill
04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
The New York Jets have traded defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos for a late-round conditional 2009 draft choice, reports NFL Networks' Adam Schefter.

Robertson is a five-year veteran. After being taken by the Jets with the fourth overall pick in 2003, he has started 75 games with 256 tackles and 14.5 sacks.

HolyDiver
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Hopefully, just a 6th and a 6th..............or, a steak sandwich and......a steak sandwich.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Broncos | Holy Diver

April 24 - 3:33 p.m.

Indianapolis - Denver has reached an agreement to trade fan Holy Diver to the Jets for Dewayne Robertson. "This is good news for everyone," remarked the entire BroncosForums community. We'll have more as this story develops.

Rex
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Hopefully, just a 6th and a 6th..............or, a steak sandwich and......an steak sandwich.

Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.

HD, do you approve of this trade?

Tned
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
The New York Jets have traded defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos for a late-round conditional 2009 draft choice, reports NFL Networks' Adam Schefter.

Robertson is a five-year veteran. After being taken by the Jets with the fourth overall pick in 2003, he has started 75 games with 256 tackles and 14.5 sacks.

If it is a conditional in '09, that's great. Keeps all of our picks this year, and bases the compensation on how he plays in '08.

Buff
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM

I hope we didn't give up 2 picks... The Jets had absolutely no leverage-- He already failed a physical, they couldn't afford to pay him, and they already filled his position...

They're lucky they didn't end up with a Javon Walker situation where they just had to release him.

I'm hoping it's nothing more than a 6th or 7th.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
i can't imagine a "conditional" draft pick being something this year. Kind of takes away the whole "conditional" aspect of it all.

Buff
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM

That's more like it... As it stands now, he's not worth anything more than a 6th or 7th, but I wouldn't mind sending them a 4th next year if the guy reaches certain playing milestones and stays healthy.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, I really haven't followed this guy. He is one of the fat guys in the middle of the field. Is he good?

dogfish
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM

well, we've got some flexibility now at least. . . it certainly look likely that we'll take an OT with one of our 1st day picks, but with some depth at tackle they could still go another direction at 12-- keith rivers or stewart/mendenhall, possibly. . . if we do take an OT at 12, i wouldn't be surprised if we took a WR (earl bennett) or RB (matt forte or kevin smith) at 42, or maybe curtis lofton-- a pick i'd love, but i don't think he'll make it to 42. . .

i still think we need to draft a DT, and i wouldn't be opposed to simms or laws at 42 (though i don't think it's likely now)-- but someone like rhubin i the 4th would be a good investment. . . .

BroncoJoe
04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I like how he spells his first name.

Tned
i can't imagine a "conditional" draft pick being something this year. Kind of takes away the whole "conditional" aspect of it all.

It would be impossible to have a conditional '08 pick, unless the condition is whether or not it rains in NYC on Saturday or Sunday. :confused:

HolyDiver
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.

HD, do you approve of this trade?

As long as there's not a 4th round pick involved.....yeah, I suppose. I just think his knees are trashed.

HolyDiver
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
It would be impossible to have a conditional '08 pick, unless the condition is whether or not it rains in NYC on Saturday or Sunday. :confused:

lmao...............good point..........I feel a little better now.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
57 tackles and 4 sacks while playing out of position for a bad team is okay by me. He's missed all of 3 games in his career and fails a physical. Somehow, I think this is a steal for us even if we gave up every 2nd day pick next season.

Timmy!
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
For a conditional late round pick in 09? Friggin sweet. DT just got an instant upgrade.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
57 tackles and 4 sacks while playing out of position for a bad team is okay by me. He's missed all of 3 games in his career and fails a physical. Somehow, I think this is a steal for us even if we gave up every 2nd day pick next season.

Ok. Based on your advice, I will tell my minions I approve the trade.

I just wonder what his new contract is like.

dogfish
04-24-2008, 03:43 PM

i would say he immediately becomes the best DT on our roster, although that's not saying much. . . gives us some nice quickness along with marcus thomas-- i hope they let the DTs get upfield more this year. . . .

HolyDiver
I think we still need to draft A DT though.

MOtorboat

:rofl:

That would be hilarious...the Broncos and Jets execs standing outside...yup...it's raining...OK, you get a fifth.

Stargazer
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
His knees has to be shot if all the Jets could get was a conditional late round '09 pick. Broncos still might go DT in the draft.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM

I won't disagree, but I don't think it needs to be a first day pick at this point.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
So basically we just replaced Gerard Warren?

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
His knees has to be shot if all the Jets could get was a conditional late round '09 pick. Broncos still might go DT in the draft.

I can buy that, but how do you play successfully...out of position...on a bad team...for 5 years...missing only 3 games...and have knees that are shot?

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I won't disagree, but I don't think it needs to be a first day pick at this point.

Certainly not...and I hope they haven't given up on Thomas, despite his off the field problems.

HolyDiver
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

First day now, is only a 1st or 2nd round. .......3rd -7th is on Sunday.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

No Kidding? That's some breaking news :rolleyes:

Buff
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
i would say he immediately becomes the best DT on our roster, although that's not saying much. . . gives us some nice quickness along with marcus thomas-- i hope they let the DTs get upfield more this year. . . .

Yeah, that's about as prestigious a title as being the world's tallest midget...

I do like the move though as this gives us a DT who we're not signing off the streets in week 10, and we don't have to give up an 08 pick-- which still gives us alot of flexibility on day 2... I'm glad we held out for a better deal than Cincy agreed to originally.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM

Like I said...doesn't have to be a first day need. I'd be happy with a solid guy in the 5th-7th.

BOSSHOGG30
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
One step closer to that stud running back

Davii
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Hopefully the knee problems work out for the best.

I'm going to be pissed if this turns out like a certain other d lineman we got last year after he failed someone elses physical.

I won't even say his name it pissed me off too much, but it rhymes with lice.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
After this I would be very content with Mendenhall in the first and Baker in the 2nd.

Davii
04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's about as prestigious a title as being the world's tallest midget...

I happen to know that MB is very proud of that plaque.

HolyDiver
Like I said...doesn't have to be a first day need. I'd be happy with a solid guy in the 5th-7th.

Oh, you mean, we don't need a DT on the first day? .................I disagree. I think we need Laws, Balmer or Pat Sims on the first day............No guarentee that this guys knees will make it out of training camp............Look how fast Al Wilson feel off the edge of the world.

DenBronx

frank okam in the 4th anyone??? robertson, thomas and okam in rotation??? we already have some good de's. we could have a pretty solid line finally.

HolyDiver
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
frank okam in the 4th anyone??? robertson, thomas and okam in rotation??? we already have some good de's. we could have a pretty solid line finally.

Okam sucks..............seriously..............Maybe in the 7th..........but the guy is just a big body that gets pushed back way too much.

vtroper
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Leave it to Schefter to figure out what "ESPN's" Bill Williamson couldn't.

The Conditional pick is best case scenario as far as I'm concerned. If his knees or anything else prevents him from playing well, I'm sure we don't give up more then a 6th. (Like Jimmy Kennedy)

Considering he'd failed atleast 2 teams physicals I'm sure the Jets were happy to get something for him and it works for us that now we don't have to risk Philly or someone else getting involved if they released him outright.

Perfect low risk move if you ask me...

DenBronx
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
One step closer to that stud running back

id say one step closer to that stud left tackle. :D

but i deffinitely wouldnt mind a stud rb in the 1st.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I thought the Bengals couldn't get him to agree to a contract, and used the "failed physical" card. At least that's what I thought I read about him.

Stargazer
04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I can buy that, but how do you play successfully...out of position...on a bad team...for 5 years...missing only 3 games...and have knees that are shot?

Failed physicals. Heck, the Broncos failed Robertson. But, Denver goes out and still trades for him.:laugh:

DenBronx
04-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Okam sucks..............seriously..............Maybe in the 7th..........but the guy is just a big body that gets pushed back way too much.

haha...straight out of scott wrights nfl draft countdown huh? where did you get that false information? okam was projected to be a 1st day pick...then rumors went around that he was fat, lazy and takes plays off. the dude will help stop the run and stuff the middle.

so...please expound and dont just say he sucks.

turftoad
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Failed physicals. Heck, the Broncos failed Robertson. But, Denver goes out and still trades for him.:laugh:

He's missed three, three games in 5 years. He becomes our best DT this year and all that for a LATE ROUND pick in 2009.

LRtagger
04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
woooooooooooooo

Stargazer
04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
He's missed three, three games in 5 years. He becomes our best DT this year and all that for a LATE ROUND pick in 2009.

I'm not having high hopes for him. He could be this year's Jimmy Kennedy. Denver loves to recycle trash on the DL.

Lonestar

Think this is a huge upgrade IF he can play half the snaps the next two-three years and his contract is not BIG MONEY!!!

BroncoJoe
The Jets were to receive the Bengals' fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources. But sources say that Cincinnati and Robertson's agent, Hadley Englehard, were unable to agree on contract terms.

The deal could be revisited, but for now it is on hold. The Jets would apparently still like to move Robertson before he is due a roster bonus in June. No other deal is imminent, however.

Completion of the trade had been contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical.

. . .

... Robertson would be a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season, but he is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, would be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297

Lonestar
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Which means mikey is a hero or BUM depending how much his new contract it worth.. Hopefully they got a good one that is based off of production..

Davii
04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Which means mikey is a hero or BUM depending how much his new contract it worth.. Hopefully they got a good one that is based off of production..

With the strong emphasis on value this year i'm sure they will. It wouldn't make much sense to trade almost nothing for the guy then give him the moon on a contract.

Hopefully the FO learned their lesson from Simeon.

Hoshdude7
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I bet it's a relatively small contract.

atwater27
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Is the guy even going to play this year? How could someone with a bone on bone condition even put their helmet on? Did we sign him so he could get knee surgery and sit out a season and a half? Does anyone have any info on whether or not he has already had offseason surgery to try to fix his knees? I'm confused. I don't know if I should get excited or not.

dogfish
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM

I'm not having high hopes for him. He could be this year's Jimmy Kennedy. Denver loves to recycle trash on the DL.

i don't think robertson deserves comparisons to these big lazy slugs. . . it's true that he hasn't lived up to his draft status, but he's played the last two years out of position in the wrong scheme, and he's kept his mouth shut and played hard. . . he's been statistically productive, and he's much bigger and stouter at the point of attack than guys like josh mallard and kenny peterson. . . unless his knees are bad enough to make his play fall off significantly from last year, he should be a nice upgrade from the DTs we used last year-- and he's more active and a better worker than guys like warren or kennedy. . . .

tubby
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
So what did we give up? A conditional 2009 pick is all?

I'm cool with that. :five:

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Offensive tackle or a runningback would be my guess.

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Think this is a huge upgrade IF he can play half the snaps the next two-three years and his contract is not BIG MONEY!!!

There is a lot of money involved about $11 million in guaranteed money which Denver is now responsible for as I had pointed out weeks ago.

NightTrainLayne
04-24-2008, 04:46 PM
There is a lot of money involved about $11 million in guaranteed money which Denver is now responsible for as I had pointed out weeks ago.

I'm sure that re-working his contract has been part of the negotiation. Of course, with $11 million at the high end, that probably means that he is still getting paid more than most of us would like. .. unless of course he has 20 sacks next year or something.

G_Money
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Robertson is a quality player, even with a bum knee. And honestly, when you look at the number of knee surgeries linemen (both offensive and defensive) get, it's not like their knees are the best-working parts of their bodies anyway.

If you have a guy with a knee problem that isn't gonna go away, will cause him arthritis and a knee-replacement later and requires him to take care of it in the offseason, then you kinda want a guy who actually likes to play football.

Robertson likes to play football. And what he'd really like is to get out of the frozen-statue scheme he was in and get into a collapse-the-pocket scheme like the one we SHOULD be running in Denver next year.

He plays a lot like Marcus Thomas (or at least he did when he was allowed to play that way). Assuming he has a few years left in the tank and doesn't cost us a bundle, I like this move.

I would still sell relatives into slavery for a real MLB and S, but now whatever DL we happen to pick up on draft day can be happy additions instead of dire necessities.

We had a year to see what DIDN'T work from the last scheme. Now we've added another up-the-field DT to go along with Thomas and Crowder, and have Moss, Doom, Peterson and Co as more up-the-field guys. I think the LBs are gonna be absolutely crucial this year with all that pursuit and pocket pressure, which is why I'm having trouble handing the MLB job to the better of Niko/Webster, but we'll see.

If our defensive weaknesses turns out to be safety and MLB, well...we'll have said it for 2 years now, but at least they'll be the only remaining weaknesses.

We do what we can, add the best players available, and patch as possible. Robertson is a good attempt at a patch on a bad problem, and will hopefully keep us from reaching on a DT who just won't measure up early in the draft.

We need to absolutely nail the first two picks. Now one of them doesn't have to be the ever-risky position of DT.

~G

PatricktheDookie
04-24-2008, 05:05 PM
A legitimate starting DT? With no character issues? Without having to give up a pick in this draft?

I think Denver scored big-time. This solidified our return to playoff contention.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
What are the chances we cut him before the season starts because he knees are completely shot?

And if that happens, do we still owe the NYJ a conditional draft pick?

Skinny
04-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I rolled out the orange and blue carpet for him. I hope he likes it.

Lonestar
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
With the strong emphasis on value this year i'm sure they will. It wouldn't make much sense to trade almost nothing for the guy then give him the moon on a contract.

Hopefully the FO learned their lesson from Simeon.

but we have history here to fall back on..

r8rh8r
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I've just finished a comprehensive blog post on my thoughts on this issue. Feel free to read it here:

D-Rob a Bronco (http://www.rockymountainfever.net/2008/04/d-rob-bronco.html)

Here's the executive summary on my thoughts about this deal:

1. Oakland leaked the news of this deal possibly against Denver's wishes. We probably won't know the full details until Sunday given that any 2008 consideration in the trade will possibly have strategic implications during the draft.

2. Is Cincinnati tipping their hand here? Either (a) they have revealed that DT is a top priority to them this year, (b) they plan on taking someone else at 9th overall and were trying to find a stop gap, or (c) this is all an elaborate ploy to increase their negotiating position with Denver in a possible trade up.

3. Did Cincinnati's failure to trade for D-Rob blow our chances at landing Ellis?

4. The renegotiated contract will most certainly be an incentive-laden deal. If true, this would be a no-lose situation for Denver. Robertson is only 27 so if he plays up to his potential he could be a big score. Even if he's only here a year, he buys us time to develop a couple of DT picks in this year's draft.

5. I'm not buying the conditional pick story from the NFL network. My guess is that either (a) a conditional 2009 pick is part of the deal but not all of it, (b) someone leaked this to known-sensationalist-liar Adam Schefter to destroy Oakland's attempt to out us before Saturday, or (c) the 2009 pick is conditional on Robertson signing a contract.

That's all. I feel pretty good about this trade as I don't see a lot of downside but I definitely want to know about the contract and compensation.

TXBRONC
I'm sure that re-working his contract has been part of the negotiation. Of course, with $11 million at the high end, that probably means that he is still getting paid more than most of us would like. .. unless of course he has 20 sacks next year or something.

Oh I not balking at it is what is. My comments were based on a conversation I had with an other poster who believed that Denver wouldn't be responsible for the $11 million.

Requiem / The Dagda
I've been at a battle of the bands all day, and this is certainly good news. I got a text from a bud saying we gave up #42; and I was pissed -- he was just joking and later told me the real news.

Great stuff guys!

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I rolled out the orange and blue carpet for him. I hope he likes it.

Please make sure the carpet is all smoothed out we don't want him injuring his bad knee. :D

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
It seems everyone is over looking the bad knee. How bad is it? Will he play this season...

NameUsedBefore
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Damn this topic exploded fast...

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
It seems everyone is over looking the bad knee. How bad is it? Will he play this season...

He has bone one bone condition.

BOSSHOGG30
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Wonder when he will change his website?

http://www.dewaynerobertson.com/

mopatt24
04-24-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8647

That was pretty darn fast, unless thats an edit over from the Jets pic.

Anyway, I love this move and still kept our draft picks in this draft. I still say, we go DT in the second round though

r8rh8r
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8647

That was pretty darn fast, unless thats an edit over from the Jets pic.

Anyway, I love this move and still kept our draft picks in this draft. I still say, we go DT in the second round though

Unless Balmer is there, it probably won't happen because the rest of the DT class doesn't project that high. Its not a deep class in terms of draft stock; although, I like a lot of guys at DT available in rounds 4 through 6.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
This is a win-win. If he's healthy, we give up a pick. If he's not, we don't.

No harm, no foul.

Fan in Exile
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I really think that we go Stewart at 12 and a guy who can play right tackle at 42. I wouldn't even be surprised to see us move up into the first again to take Cherilus.

shank
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
that's an edit, i know i've seen that picture before.

i'm really glad this is done, and if it's for a conditional 09 then that's freaking awesome, hopefully an 09 4th is the highest it goes.

i hope we can manage to acquire a third rounder some how so that we can secure ahtyba rubin. i don't think he's going to be there in the 4th any longer. okam in the 5th would also be acceptable, but we need another body in there, and a true run stuffer would be a nice thing to have (even though i'm confident that robertson can handle whatever DT role we give him). i would still not mind laws in the 2nd either. why not go from having terrible DTs to having a good rotation with lots of talent? i'd be fine doing that and sticking with later round OL for at least one more year.

r8rh8r
04-24-2008, 05:54 PM
that's an edit, i know i've seen that picture before.

i'm really glad this is done, and if it's for a conditional 09 then that's freaking awesome, hopefully an 09 4th is the highest it goes.

i hope we can manage to acquire a third rounder some how so that we can secure ahtyba rubin. i don't think he's going to be there in the 4th any longer. okam in the 5th would also be acceptable, but we need another body in there, and a true run stuffer would be a nice thing to have (even though i'm confident that robertson can handle whatever DT role we give him).

Amen to that. Rubin's lateral mobility is astonishing for a guy his size. He'll never be a sack-master but he can collapse the pocket and has the agility to smother running backs. I love this guy.

mopatt24
04-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I really think that we go Stewart at 12 and a guy who can play right tackle at 42. I wouldn't even be surprised to see us move up into the first again to take Cherilus.

Dont know why, but my gut is telling me we're gonna move back up in the 1st. Maybe its that pizza i just smashed on:rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that's an edit of this picture. . . dang -- I wish I would have know they were that quick to do it!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/hartcavalcade/robbbbb.jpg

Rex
04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
He has bone one bone condition.

I would be willing to bet that 75% of all lineman in the NFL do.

Superchop 7
04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Robertson reminds me of Schlereth, everyone said Schlereth was too injured to play but he never listened and played his tail off.

What is impressing me......well.....it's Shanny's deals.

Great work.

Smart moves.

Wow.

WARHORSE
04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
A good day at the office for the Broncos.

Robertson is not a NT, and yet he was productive in a scheme not formatted to his skillset.

Barring bad health, he will be a great help, and just gave us some real draft flexibility.

Its back to the hammock I go.................
:beer:

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM

I agree with you up us taking a tackle with the 42 pick but I don't think Shanahan would trade back up into the first round to select a tackle.

mopatt24
04-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Robertson reminds me of Schlereth, everyone said Schlereth was too injured to play but he never listened and played his tail off.

What is impressing me......well.....it's Shanny's deals.

Great work.

Smart moves.

Wow.

Yeah, I have to agree. They made some good moves this offseason, but I really love how they stayed put on what they we're offering for him.

WARHORSE
04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
All of Robertsons vehicles are orange in salute to his hood............must be destiny that hes here.

Lonestar
04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Trade for Robertson Complete

Robertson was the fourth selection in the 2003 NFL Draft. PHOTO: EZRA SHAW / GETTY IMAGES

By Kyle Sonneman
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo -- Less than two days before the draft, the Broncos addressed a need along the defensive line acquiring Dewayne Robertson from the New York Jets for a conditional pick in the 2009 draft.

Robertson has shown durability over his five-year career, seeing time on 75.4 percent of the Jets' defensive snaps in 2007, 82.5 percent in 2006 and a career-high 85.8 percent in 2004.

Over those five seasons, Robertson started 75 of the 77 games he appeared in amassing 319 tackles, 14.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two pass breakups.

Last season Robertson posted a career high in sacks with four, including a 2.5 sack performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Robertson joined the Jets as the fourth overall selection in the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Kentucky.

Additionally, the Broncos waived center Norm Katnik.

Tned
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
This was probably already posted, but I am in a rush and can't check. Here are some more details that I hadn't read earlier:

From rotoworld.com

Dewayne Robertson - DL Apr. 24 - 9:03 pm et

Upon acquiring him from the Jets for a late-round conditional pick in 2009, the Broncos signed DT Dewayne Robertson to a five-year contract.

Terms are unknown, but it's likely closer to a one- or two-year pact in reality and worth far less than what Robertson was due from the Jets. The draft pick can escalate to as high as a second-rounder, most likely based on stats.

Source: New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/04/lowdown-on-robertson-trade.html)

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
The draft pick can escalate to as high as a second-rounder, most likely based on stats.

As high as a 2nd rounder? That would suck. The defense plays great but we lose a 2nd round draft pick next season.

nevcraw
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
As high as a 2nd rounder? That would suck. The defense plays great but we lose a 2nd round draft pick next season.

So what.. I would gladly give up 2nd rounder if he and the defense play well. That would be a low 2nd rounder b/c the broncos would be back in the playoffs.

BANJOPICKER1
04-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I so agree here,I just dont see the issue with a guy that played all of last year and played for a 3-4 and a bad team??Whats the harm??:salute:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!:D

krackback
04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I read from a jets fan ,think it was jets .com that robertson had knee issues before he was even drafted in the first place.

MHCBill
04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
THE SIG IS ALIVE!!!

STICK WITH THE REST OF THE SIG DOVE VALLEY!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
It's about time. I'm pumped now. Now we don't even consider reaching for Balmer and can go different directions. Dude is a beast and will be for us. I don't get why folks question whether or not he'll ever play again. He has not missed 1 game due to a knee "condition" that obviously doesn't bother or disrupt his play. He failed the physical due to x-ray results, not his reactions to stimulus...big difference. The tests are generic. His play is not.

Rick
04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
If they play DR and MT right and to thier strenghts we can have a killer defence.

Two 300 pound DTs that have the ability to pressure the QB, just let the line go...

Have those 2 and another rookie DT in the middle rounds rotating and pressuring the QB and Doom, Crowder, Moss, Ekubon rotating on the ends and rush rush rush.

No reason to assume we can't bring the heat on QBs like manning anymore, we can bring it from all positions of the line.

What I also like is that even though our 2 DTs are not 330 lane cloggers they are still 300 pounds, and can play every down with the abilty to get to the RB on running downs and QB on passing.

Safety is a concern but my hope is the pass rush is so much better now that QBs won't have consistent time to drop the long bombs on the safeties and if the passes are hurried it can play more to the experiance strength of the safeties.

At LBer Boss will be fine and DJ will explode but Niko is a real concern. He has shown he is a great special teams player but whether the run D can be elite depends on if he can carry his special teams success to starting ability. The DTs are good enough to take some of the pressure off but he still needs to get in there quickly and make the tackles before the big gains are made.

Jst my opinion anyway :)

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
If they play DR and MT right and to thier strenghts we can have a killer defence.

Two 300 pound DTs that have the ability to pressure the QB, just let the line go...

Have those 2 and another rookie DT in the middle rounds rotating and pressuring the QB and Doom, Crowder, Moss, Ekubon rotating on the ends and rush rush rush.

No reason to assume we can't bring the heat on QBs like manning anymore, we can bring it from all positions of the line.

What I also like is that even though our 2 DTs are not 330 lane cloggers they are still 300 pounds, and can play every down with the abilty to get to the RB on running downs and QB on passing.

Safety is a concern but my hope is the pass rush is so much better now that QBs won't have consistent time to drop the long bombs on the safeties and if the passes are hurried it can play more to the experiance strength of the safeties.

At LBer Boss will be fine and DJ will explode but Niko is a real concern. He has shown he is a great special teams player but whether the run D can be elite depends on if he can carry his special teams success to starting ability. The DTs are good enough to take some of the pressure off but he still needs to get in there quickly and make the tackles before the big gains are made.

Jst my opinion anyway :)

Pressure up the middle should create a lot of sack opportunities for the defensive ends.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
DE? Did I hear someone say Jason Taylor?

shank
04-24-2008, 10:13 PM

no.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
He's the premier NFL defensive end. Only problem is he'll cost. I would love to see him in Denver for the next 3-4 years; Jason Taylor that is.

shank
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
He's the premier NFL defensive end. Only problem is he'll cost. I would love to see him in Denver for the next 3-4 years; Jason Taylor that is.

no.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Taylor is better than any of the DEs we have, Doom included.

shank
04-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Taylor is better than any of the DEs we have, Doom included.

so, peyton manning is better than cutler:coffee:

Rick
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
With DR and Rogers we had to entertain what picks may be needed to get them as we had a major, gaping need at DT.

But at DE we have too much invested in a young group of guys that have the potential to be very good in 1st rounder Moss, 2nd rounder Crowder, and 12 sack guy Doom(Dude has 21 sacks in his first 2 years). Throw in experianced vet Ekubon and I really do not see a reason or need to get Taylor unless for a late draft pick.

We just have too much we need to consider on the OL and Safety positions, and possibly may be wanting that stud RB at pick 12 to compement Cutler and still need a DT atleast in the mid rounds.

Taylor just isn't a possibility.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
so, peyton manning is better than cutler:coffee:

I like Cutler and all, but What do you think?

shank
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I like Cutler and all, but What do you think?

what?

jason taylor is a great player, there's no denying that. but he's 34 and we already have a deep pool of talent (most of which is very young) at defensive end. mix that with the fact that they want a 1st rounder, and i don't see them giving him up for anything much less than that, and there is no reason why his name should be brought up.

peyton manning is better than cutler at this point. should we pursue him too, purely for that reason?

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
If we can afford both Taylor and Manning, yes, bring them aboard. Taylor is better than any of our DEs and Manning is better than Cutler. But as I stated 1st, Taylor is out of reach.

Why did I bring Taylor? as a joke... don't get too uptight huh?

nj10
04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
WTF? I posted this thread...Not MO!

krackback
04-25-2008, 01:21 AM
what is wrong with our de's.you can't just say they are no good after one year. have some optimisum..LOL.And as far as harris goes,as boss stated he only had 5 sacks against him,in 3.5 years in collage. not to shabby.:laugh:

Nature Boy
04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I was unaware Ryan Harris had 2 back surgeries. This was in college? Exactly what was the procedure? I'm thinking it wasn't that serious as Shanny drafted him.

shank
04-25-2008, 02:53 AM
one was in college and the other was after we drafted him. i believe neither were serious, but are still of some concern to many.

WARHORSE
04-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Youth to be served this season in Broncos' D-line

By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/25/2008 02:01:35 AM MDT

There cannot be a younger front four in the NFL.
Better, maybe. More proven, certainly. But good luck finding a more dynamic defensive line than the one the Broncos figure to play in 2008.
At defensive end there are Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, the Bronco's first- and second-round picks in the 2007 draft, and Elvis Dumervil, who already has 20 1/2 sacks in his two NFL seasons.
At defensive tackle, Marcus Thomas, who started five games as a rookie last season, will be joined by Dewayne Robertson, the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2003 whom the Broncos acquired Thursday from the New York Jets for a conditional draft pick. "That'll work," Moss said. "It sounds like we made a great addition. I can't wait to get started. People are going to see how good the Broncos' defensive line is going to be this year."

And for years to come, according to the team plan. The average age of the Broncos' top five defensive linemen: 23.4 years.
There will be veterans sprinkled in. Defensive tackle Alvin McKinley and ends John Engelberger and Ebenezer Ekuban should get their share of playing time on running downs. All will be at least 30 years old by training camp.
Robertson, 26, could serve as the bridge between the young and the old. Although he has a damaged knee that can't clear a physical, the Broncos felt Robertson was worth the risk because he has played in every game the past two years and all but three games in his five-year NFL career.
Robertson was due a $3 million roster bonus in June and a $6.8 million salary, but two NFL sources said the Broncos already have the parameters in place for a restructured, multiyear contract. In the new deal, Robertson, who was expected to be released by the Jets before a bonus was due in June, would receive around $4 million guaranteed, with $3 million to be paid in 2009.
Footnotes.
The Broncos are hoping to sign a punter and kicker as undrafted free agents next week. One punter they like is Toledo's Brett Kern. . . .
Either in the second round or with one of their two picks in the fourth, the Broncos would like to draft an inside linebacker. Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton and UNLV's Beau Bell are possibilities. . . .
If the Broncos don't take Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall in the first round, somewhere out there is an unknown running back the team is targeting between the fourth round and the pool of undrafted free agents. Hard to believe, but Michigan's Mike Hart and West Virginia's Steve Slaton, both celebrated players in college, are projected fourth- round picks. . . . If they don't take an offensive tackle in the first round, the Broncos likely will select one in the second.

DenBronx
04-25-2008, 04:10 AM
only 4 mill guaranteed for robertson....off to a good start already. now id like to see the complete terms. sounds like highway robbery to me.

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 05:09 AM
The big question now is whether he will be able to keep healthy or not. Hopefully we got him for no more than a late rounder. I think this signing decreases the likely hood of a DT in the 1st round and increases the likely hood of a Offensive Tackle/ Running back in the 1st round. Of course no one be suprised if Shanahan takes a wide receiver.

Anyway this was a good trade if it is only for a late rounder. Robertson has been a good player when healthy.

MHCBill
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Youth to be served this season in Broncos' D-line

By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/25/2008 02:01:35 AM MDT

Either in the second round or with one of their two picks in the fourth, the Broncos would like to draft an inside linebacker. Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton and UNLV's Beau Bell are possibilities. . . .
If the Broncos don't take Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall in the first round.

At this point I'm fairly certain Dove Valley is reading my posts!

Tned
04-25-2008, 07:29 AM

Sorry, the thread was merged with the "Robertson not coming to denver" and then split back out. Must have been split at the wrong place.

Tned
04-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Sorry, the thread was merged with the "Robertson not coming to denver" and then split back out. Must have been split at the wrong place.

Ok, I think it's fixed now.

eessydo
04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Well we are at least now getting a little bit better at bringing FA's. Instead of brining in 30+ year over the hill retreads, we got smart and started picking up younger players that never really showed any promise with their other clubs and have bad knees.

Not exactly the best case scenario, which would be to trade up and grab a young stud like sedrick ellis.

So I am not really seeing what the big deal is about? Younger YES, undebatable , Much improved.............uh we'll see. I don't think we improved that much with this acquisition.

Ziggy
04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Just got home from work and saw the good news. I'm pumped. The Broncos just adressed the biggest need on the team. Robertson is already our best DT. He was playing out of position in NY, and still did a good job without whining.
For those of you who are worried about the bone on bone condition of his knee...I heard all the same crap when we brought in Mark Schlereth, who subsequently went on to play in the Pro Bowl in 1998 and become a mainstay on the best O-line Denver has ever had.
Great deal for Shanny. If it doesn't work out, we lose a late round draft pick next year. If it does, he looks like a genius. I've been bashing the Shanny the FO guy as hard as anyone in this forum. Now I'll give him props. He made significant moves in last year's draft and now this year to address the D-line. Whether it works out or not, he's trying to rebuild the trenches on the defensive side of the ball. Here's to hoping that he does the same on the offensive side.:beer:

CoachChaz
04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
The big question now is whether he will be able to keep healthy or not. Hopefully we got him for no more than a late rounder. I think this signing decreases the likely hood of a DT in the 1st round and increases the likely hood of a Offensive Tackle/ Running back in the 1st round. Of course no one be suprised if Shanahan takes a wide receiver.

Anyway this was a good trade if it is only for a late rounder. Robertson has been a good player when healthy.

Maybe I'm missing something, but when has he been UNhealthy? He's missed 3 games in 5 years. Ok...he failed a physical, but God only knows the details of that. I keep reading posts about his knees being shot and his health being a concern...but when I look at him coming off a season where he played all 16 games in an unfamiliar position and played VERY well...I guess I just fail to see where he has health concerns.

Drill-N-Fill
04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Broncos acquired defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson from the New York Jets on Thursday in exchange for a 2009 conditional draft pick.

The condition is playing time. If Robertson can't play a down in 2008 because of his balky knee, the Broncos would give nothing to the Jets. If Robertson plays in every game as he has in four of his five seasons with the Jets, the Broncos would surrender a mid- to late-round pick.

underrated29
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Broncos acquired defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson from the New York Jets on Thursday in exchange for a 2009 conditional draft pick.

The condition is playing time. If Robertson can't play a down in 2008 because of his balky knee, the Broncos would give nothing to the Jets. If Robertson plays in every game as he has in four of his five seasons with the Jets, the Broncos would surrender a mid- to late-round pick.

What does he have to do for us to cough up a 2nd?

Davii
04-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Recite the Gettysburg address verbatim while holding the Lombardi trophy above his head.

BroncoJoe
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but when has he been UNhealthy? He's missed 3 games in 5 years. Ok...he failed a physical, but God only knows the details of that. I keep reading posts about his knees being shot and his health being a concern...but when I look at him coming off a season where he played all 16 games in an unfamiliar position and played VERY well...I guess I just fail to see where he has health concerns.

Same here. I keep reading all these posts about "bone-on-bone" condition in his knees, but can't find one single article that talks about his knees. CIN used the "failed physical" card because they couldn't agree on a contract IMO.

Davii
04-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Same here. I keep reading all these posts about "bone-on-bone" condition in his knees, but can't find one single article that talks about his knees. CIN used the "failed physical" card because they couldn't agree on a contract IMO.

I've sween articles stating he even failed a physical with the Bronco's, but the condition is something that will not heal, it's already bone on bone, but that it has not in the past, and should not in the future, impact his ability to play.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
At this point I'm fairly certain Dove Valley is reading my posts!

Probably not, but it's wishful thinking. :beer:

Drill-N-Fill
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM

The article was from a NY paper. Which means it had no truth to it. :cool:

No1 is going to give up a 2nd for a player who was going to get cut.

HolyDiver
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM

It's not that he's missed games..............Because, neither did al Wilson.............Or Steve Atwater............But, it's more about failing Physicals.

CoachChaz
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
So he's not healthy enough to pass a physical, but he's healthy enough to play out of position and get 60 tackles and 4 sacks. I get it.

NightTrainLayne
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
So he's not healthy enough to pass a physical, but he's healthy enough to play out of position and get 60 tackles and 4 sacks. I get it.

I'll take that kind of unhealthy everyday and twice on Sunday.

mclark
04-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Either than or the Stewart/Mendenhall surprise.

SM19
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
The price is right. The only risk here is that his presence might prevent us from drafting younger talent at the DT position, but I suspect we'll still try to draft a DT it sometime in the first three rounds.

Ziggy
04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
The price is right. The only risk here is that his presence might prevent us from drafting younger talent at the DT position, but I suspect we'll still try to draft a DT it sometime in the first three rounds.

I don't think it will affect the draft at all. Denver rotates D-lineman a lot, and we still have very little quality depth behind Robinson and Thomas.

Lonestar
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM

not only no but

HELL NO

pilfin
04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I think it does affect our draft strategy a little bit. We probably won't attempt to move up in the draft to get Ellis should he fall, or move down to get Balmer. We probably stay put and draft the best player available (probably Clady or Albert or Williams), or trade down a few spots and go after Stewart or Phillips. If we want Mendenhall, I think we will stay put because it is unlikely he falls past Detroit at 15

Nature Boy
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
not only no but

HELL NO

I say if the Dolphins would take a 3rd rounder(trade for it), or next year's 2nd rounder or one of our young DEs Crowder or Moss and we are able to redo Jason Taylor's contract to fit our salary cap, I say hell yea. Taylor is still the premier NFL pass rusher. Anyone that doesn't think so is just an idiot.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Recite the Gettysburg address verbatim while holding the Lombardi trophy above his head.

I don't care what he does...as long as he has the trophy.

Davii
04-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Just saw the full details of the trade with an explanation to the conditional pick.

If Robertson plays in LESS THAN 65% of all defensive plays the Jets get absolutely nothing.

If he plays over 65% of the plays they will get a pick, no higher than third round, depending on the percentage of plays he is on the field.

Soooo... They're not getting a pick. With the defensive line rotation I don't think he will be on the field more than 65% of the time. We only had one lineman that was on the field that much last year. Dumervil was our only D lineman to play more than 65% of the plays.

This was an absolutely risk free trade. Good job Shanny and Front Office.

shank
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Just saw the full details of the trade with an explanation to the conditional pick.

If Robertson plays in LESS THAN 65% of all defensive plays the Jets get absolutely nothing.

If he plays over 65% of the plays they will get a pick, no higher than third round, depending on the percentage of plays he is on the field.

Soooo... They're not getting a pick. With the defensive line rotation I don't think he will be on the field more than 65% of the time. We only had one lineman that was on the field that much last year. Dumervil was our only D lineman to play more than 65% of the plays.

This was an absolutely risk free trade. Good job Shanny and Front Office.

we better not gus frerotte him, or we'll never have another trade partner

Davii
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
we better not gus frerotte him, or we'll never have another trade partner

I'm sure he'll get his normal rotation, nothing less unless it's less because of his knee. I don't see Shanny sitting him to make sure he doesn't get over the 65% mark, Shanny is a competitor and wants the best players playing, no matter what.

CoachChaz
04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Let him get 66%...provided he can do it...and give them a 7th