PDA

View Full Version : TSN Team Report 4/23/08

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Here's the latest from TSN that I think you will find interesting. While we all have a pretty good why Darrell Jackson was signed this kind of fills in the picture for us. In the paragraph it mentions Marshall and I came a way the feeling that the Broncos aren't worried that his career might be in danger but that it could take longer for him to heal than what might be expected.

I also found the paragraph on Kuper interesting and as reminder Rasizer points out that even if we do draft a offensive lineman there is very good chance he will not start his first year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=403667

Broncos Team Report
Posted: April 23, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS

The addition of wide receiver Darrell Jackson should have a three-fold impact. Jackson has scored 50 career TDs, which should aid a Broncos team that had major red-zone issues last season. The move also creates competition for Keary Colbert at the No. 2 receiver spot. And if Brandon Marshall's recovery goes slower than expected, with Jackson in the fold the team will still be able to play three experienced receivers while keeping Brandon Stokley in his natural slot position. It also likely means Denver will have no designs on drafting a wideout on the first day of the NFL draft. ...

Of all the position switches made by D.J. Williams, the linebacker should have the easiest time with his latest -- a move to the weak side. It's the position he played at the University of Miami, and where he starred as a rookie in 2004. Williams' best attributes -- moving laterally in open space and attacking the ball -- are essential at his new position. But having played middle linebacker last year also will help since he'll likely slide over in nickel pass coverage situations.

SCOUTING REPORT

The Broncos are, for the time being, placing their faith in Chris Kuper as their starting left tackle at mini-camps. Kuper played the postion as a college senior. But during his Denver tenure, he has switched between four different positions -- both guard and tackle spots -- before settling in as a starting left guard last season. Kuper already has begun preparing for the challenge by studying tape of Matt Lepsis both from the 2005 and '07 seasons. Kuper is extremely strong and has good movement skills for his size but the challenge will be whether he has the feet to slide in pass protection against the quickest defensive ends in the league. Denver has Ryan Harris as a backup option, but he has yet to play even a preseason game. And he will have to demonstrate not only his skills, but that he can stay healthy after two back surgeries, if he wants to displace Kuper. Denver also is expected to add a tackle in the draft but has nearly always sat rookie linemen for a season.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I also found the paragraph on Kuper interesting and as reminder Rasizer points out that even if we do draft a offensive lineman there is very good chance he will not start his first year.

Denver has Ryan Harris as a backup option, but he has yet to play even a preseason game. And he will have to demonstrate not only his skills, but that he can stay healthy after two back surgeries, if he wants to displace Kuper.

It's hard to say for sure that our soon be rookie OT will start or not. Let's get him to camp 1st then we can take the analysis from these pros to be credible.

I didn't know Ryan Harris had 2 back surgeries already and he hasn't even played a game yet, not even in pre-season. Why did Mike Shanny draft him in the 1st place?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh, back injuries. Might not want to draft Christopher Williams then.

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 10:17 PM
It's hard to say for sure that our soon be rookie OT will start or not. Let's get him to camp 1st then we can take the analysis from these pros to be credible.

I didn't know Ryan Harris had 2 back surgeries already and he hasn't even played a game yet, not even in pre-season. Why did Mike Shanny draft him in the 1st place?

Historically they don't start. I can't think of one offensive lineman that we've had that started in their rookie season.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I agree, but let's not etch that in stone til we actually draft the guy and get him into camp to see what he can do. We are not exactly loaded with OTs.

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I agree, but let's not etch that in stone til we actually draft the guy and get him into camp to see what he can do. We are not exactly loaded with OTs.

Agreed it's not etched in stone but the odds are against it.

turftoad
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Here's the latest from TSN that I think you will find interesting. While we all have a pretty good why Darrell Jackson was signed this kind of fills in the picture for us. In the paragraph it mentions Marshall and I came a way the feeling that the Broncos aren't worried that his career might be in danger but that it could take longer for him to heal than what might be expected.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=403667

Broncos Team Report
Posted: April 23, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS

The addition of wide receiver Darrell Jackson should have a three-fold impact. Jackson has scored 50 career TDs, which should aid a Broncos team that had major red-zone issues last season. The move also creates competition for Keary Colbert at the No. 2 receiver spot. And if Brandon Marshall's recovery goes slower than expected, with Jackson in the fold the team will still be able to play three experienced receivers while keeping Brandon Stokley in his natural slot position. It also likely means Denver will have no designs on drafting a wideout on the first day of the NFL draft. ...

Of all the position switches made by D.J. Williams, the linebacker should have the easiest time with his latest -- a move to the weak side. It's the position he played at the University of Miami, and where he starred as a rookie in 2004. Williams' best attributes -- moving laterally in open space and attacking the ball -- are essential at his new position. But having played middle linebacker last year also will help since he'll likely slide over in nickel pass coverage situations.

SCOUTING REPORT

The Broncos are, for the time being, placing their faith in Chris Kuper as their starting left tackle at mini-camps. Kuper played the postion as a college senior. But during his Denver tenure, he has switched between four different positions -- both guard and tackle spots -- before settling in as a starting left guard last season. Kuper already has begun preparing for the challenge by studying tape of Matt Lepsis both from the 2005 and '07 seasons. Kuper is extremely strong and has good movement skills for his size but the challenge will be whether he has the feet to slide in pass protection against the quickest defensive ends in the league. Denver has Ryan Harris as a backup option, but he has yet to play even a preseason game. And he will have to demonstrate not only his skills, but that he can stay healthy after two back surgeries, if he wants to displace Kuper. Denver also is expected to add a tackle in the draft but has nearly always sat rookie linemen for a season.

And how often does Denver draft a lineman as early as #12.

They won't sit him if they do.

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM

You make a very good point but how many of these guys come ready to play in a zone blocking system? It takes about year to get down. I think it is doubtful that a rookie offensive lineman would start for us immediately. I could rookie maybe starting by mid season but that assuming that Kuper or Harris can't handle the position.

Stargazer
04-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Georgie went #20 and sat the entire year. His second season he started at RT.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
When we drafted George Foster in 2003, we had Lepsis and Epham Salaam as the incumbent OTs. Now we have Pears and that's it. Salaam is still the Texans starting LT. Was kinda difficult for Foster to depose those 2 vets then and probably now still.

TXBRONC
04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
When we drafted George Foster in 2003, we had Lepsis and Epham Salaam as the incumbent OTs. Now we have Pears and that's it. Salaam is still the Texans starting LT. Was kinda difficult for Foster to depose those 2 vets then and probably now still.

I don't think Salaam is a very good left tackle.

Nature Boy
04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
You go and tell Kubiack that. Salaam is their starter for 2 years now. I remember they kicked our arse pretty bad last year. Remember Ron Dane rolling over our defense?

Rick
04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I remember EVERY RB rolling over our defence.

I do feel it depends on the tackle drafted though on if he starts.

If we had drafted Joe Thomas type I don't see him sitting.