PDA

View Full Version : Broncos likely to find a new team picking ahead of them

Lonestar
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Broncos likely to find a new team picking ahead of them
Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The draft is a passion for NFL reporter Jeff Legwold, who evaluates several hundred players each year during the months leading up to the annual selections. Legwold offers his insights daily in The Denver Post, with additional entries found at denverpost.com/premiumbroncos.

It could certainly impact what the Broncos do with the 11th pick of the draft, but the Jaguars have made it clear to anyone and everyone in the league they are interested in moving out of the 10th spot in Thursday's first round.

Several general managers and personnel executives have said the Jaguars were actively pursuing deals with the intention of getting more draft picks, including a second-rounder to replace the one they surrendered in a trade in last year's draft.

So for the Broncos, who also are willing to trade if they don't see what they want to as the first round unfolds, it may be difficult to predict what will go on with the picks in front of them.

The most active scenario would be if Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen isn't selected by the time Buffalo picks at No. 9. If the Bills don't take Clausen, or if he isn't off the board already, then those who want him will be looking to move up and win the race for the quarterback.

But it's clear that the Jaguars want out, and the Broncos will have to be ready for whoever moves in.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

claymore
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I hope Claussen goes before our pick. More talent for us to choose from.

Traveler
04-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Broncos likely to find a new team picking ahead of them
Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The draft is a passion for NFL reporter Jeff Legwold, who evaluates several hundred players each year during the months leading up to the annual selections. Legwold offers his insights daily in The Denver Post, with additional entries found at denverpost.com/premiumbroncos.

It could certainly impact what the Broncos do with the 11th pick of the draft, but the Jaguars have made it clear to anyone and everyone in the league they are interested in moving out of the 10th spot in Thursday's first round.

Several general managers and personnel executives have said the Jaguars were actively pursuing deals with the intention of getting more draft picks, including a second-rounder to replace the one they surrendered in a trade in last year's draft.

So for the Broncos, who also are willing to trade if they don't see what they want to as the first round unfolds, it may be difficult to predict what will go on with the picks in front of them.

The most active scenario would be if Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen isn't selected by the time Buffalo picks at No. 9. If the Bills don't take Clausen, or if he isn't off the board already, then those who want him will be looking to move up and win the race for the quarterback.

But it's clear that the Jaguars want out, and the Broncos will have to be ready for whoever moves in.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Especially when we trade back. Several new teams will be ahead of us.:beer:

HORSEPOWER 56
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I hope it's the Giants trading up for McClain so we won't be tempted to draft him at #11.

Ziggy
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
It doesn't affect our draft one bit. Denver has a list of players that they want at 11. If one falls, we take him, if not, we look to trade down. I think Jacksonville is looking to trade down and justify taking Tebow in the first, but not at 10.

Carl
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Spiller, Thomas, Haden, Bryant art the only potential top 10 picks that wont go in the top 10 that I could see a team justifying trading up for. Byant and Haden's stock are falling though so I would question a team moving up that high to take one of the two. Actually the more I think about it, the more unlikely this seems. Im thinking Jacksonville might get stuck with the 10th pick unless they are willing to take a subpar deal. In that case I could see Spiller or Thomas being drafted at 10 although it still seems a bit high for Thomas. Spiller has been compared to Chris Johnnson tho. I dont see NY moving up to take McClain. Hes already a reach for us at 11. You dont trade up to reach for players. Thats like paying someone to shoot you in the foot. You trade up to draft falling players who should have already been picked.

broncohead
04-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Spiller, Thomas, Haden, Bryant art the only potential top 10 picks that wont go in the top 10 that I could see a team justifying trading up for. Byant and Haden's stock are falling though so I would question a team moving up that high to take one of the two. Actually the more I think about it, the more unlikely this seems. Im thinking Jacksonville might get stuck with the 10th pick unless they are willing to take a subpar deal. In that case I could see Spiller or Thomas being drafted at 10 although it still seems a bit high for Thomas. Spiller has been compared to Chris Johnnson tho. I dont see NY moving up to take McClain. Hes already a reach for us at 11. You dont trade up to reach for players. Thats like paying someone to shoot you in the foot. You trade up to draft falling players who should have already been picked.

But it really depends on every teams draft board. McClain will be higher on some and lower on others.

gobroncsnv
04-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Probably higher on ours... we need help at ILB with Davis gone... kinda needed it with him there. He did ok early, but faded late. Need someone there with mad skills. THIS year.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
it does hurt...because if both 10 and 11 are looking to trade down, who do you suppose the teams willing to move up is going to deal with, first... 10 or 11? Its been rumored we have been looking to move down.... and now #10 wants to move down. Thats going to thin out the possible candidates if Jags take roughly the same trade offers.

There isn't just an endless number of teams that are willing to spend picks to move UP to the spots we want to move down from. So its not just simply 'wanting' to move down. We have to find a suitor.

DenBronx
04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
should have won the damn coin flip then it would have been easier for us to trade back. losing it could have screwed us out of trading down, getting "our guy" anyway and picking up an extra 2nd.

flippin fergazies.

Broncolingus
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
should have won the damn coin flip then it would have been easier for us to trade back. losing it could have screwed us out of trading down, getting "our guy" anyway and picking up an extra 2nd.

flippin fergazies.

...I blame McDaniels.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
...I blame McDaniels.

Me too.

DenBronx
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
...I blame McDaniels.

HA!

I sense sarcasm in that.

When someone cuts in front of me at the video store or takes too long to go when the light turns green I tend to blame McDaniels too. :laugh:

Broncolingus
04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
HA!

I sense sarcasm in that.

When someone cuts in front of me at the video store or takes too long to go when the light turns green I tend to blame McDaniels too. :laugh:

"Now we're talkin..."

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZRG1tWQN6e8/0.jpg

^^^
04-19-2010, 10:04 PM

There was talk of Philly moving up to take Thomas.