PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell- Conviction

Shazam!
04-18-2010, 02:20 AM
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Conviction
Sam Fisher returns after years in development hell

Splinter Cell - Conviction (SCC) is a stealth action/adventure developed and published by Ubisoft for the XBox 360.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_Conviction.jpg/256px-Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_Conviction.jpg

Sam Fisher returns, angry, betrayed, and out for revenge. Sam is after his daughter's killer and to settle the score with his former employers at Third Echelon, a high level Governement agency. This takes place a few years after the last SC game Double Agent. You do not have to be familiar with the series to play this game, but it does help, even if you only played one of the games over the years.

It's clear they tried to make this game mainstream and accessible for gamers not familiar (or not good) with the stealth/action games. Stealth has been simplified, some would say overly-so. The screen turns black and white when Sam is out of sight and in the shadows. You cant pick up bodies as before. Your silenced pistol has unlimited ammo. Directions/hints/objectives appear on the walls, and this bothered me more than anything else, this very easy approach. Sure you can shut it off, but are gamers that stupid?

There's one flashback level and a few areas where the game turns into a total shoot-em up, and it doesnt work. You just arent equipped to go all Master Chief on people and it ruined the flow of the game.

Those minor complaints are now aside. The game is thrilling.

Sam has his usual takedowns and stealth kills. I just wish you can move bodies out of the way or use them as lures.

Once youve been sighted, a virtual shadow is left of you where enemies cue on, allowing you to take a position to mark their new location or flank them. This helped in larger areas when youre on the run.

New to SCC is the execution moves, where you can take down multiple targets after a stealth kill. Just mark the targets when in range and youll be treated to some pretty kill scenes.

There's some interrogation scenes, where you bash your victim into some obviously placed objects (the piano was the best one). I think they couldve done a little better and been more imaginative here, but it worked.

Sam has as many gadgets as Solid Snake or 007, but he doesnt get his trademark night vision goggles until late in the game, which I thought was a downer. As you progress the game and gain points which are earned with executions and the like, you can upgrade most of your weapons and gadgets.

Certain memories from Sam's past are also displayed on walls in a movie projector style, which I kinda liked that. It took you into Sam's mind while still on the same screen, which was a nice effect. I expect to see this in more games.

The graphics are excellent but some of the characters lack detail, notably Anna Grimoire (Grim, whatever). Sam is recreated spectacularly. Most enemies are clones of 2 or 3 models though. The environments have a lot of detail (amusement park especially) and phenomenal lighting throughout.

The sound is great. Michael Ironside returns as the gruff and gravelly Sam Fisher, and he does another spot-on job. Most of the voicework is top notch. The guns sound excellent, but youll mostly be hearing subtle silenced pistol shots.

I have read the single player can be beaten in 5 hours, but Ive been playing it for almost 8 already and Im not at the end yet. Its clear those 'professional reviewers' A- played it on Easy, B- didnt make full use of the stealth options in the game and ran right through it and C- overused the executions.

One of the highlights of SCC is the complete multiplayer coop campaign, online or off, which is a prequel to the single player story. There are all kinds of crazy things you can do, like double executions and saving your bro who's being used as a human shield. In coop, the options are truly endless and the game is engaging. Deniable Ops mode involves 4 multiplayer modes.

SCC has endured almost 2 years of development hell, with delay after delay. The final product is definitely worth it. There are some curious additions and omissions, but the level of polish is definitely there, and if youve followed the SC series throughout the years, there are a few woah moments to be had. Definitely a worthy entry to a great series in the Tom Clancy realm.

8.5/10

Rated M for Mature - Blood, intense violence, strong language, drug reference, sexual themes