View Full Version : Broncos open to draft trade talk, with first-round bait

Lonestar
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Broncos open to draft trade talk, with first-round bait
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/16/2010 04:21:00 PM MDT
UPDATED: 04/16/2010 06:16:17 PM MDT

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the team is fielding calls about their first-round pick in next week's draft. (AP | Ed Andrieski)
The Broncos have begun receiving and making phone calls about their first-round pick — No. 11 overall — in next week's NFL draft, coach Josh McDaniels said today.

McDaniels said the team will listen to offers to deal that pick, though the, "odds would be in favor of us going backwards," McDaniels said.

"Everything we have received has been behind us," McDaniels said. "The opportunity has to be there, the player has to be there that you're looking for, and we have to feel like it is a fair deal. We'll be flexible, we'll listen."

The Broncos currently hold three picks in the first two rounds of the draft that starts next Thursday night. The Broncos are scheduled to select at No. 11 on Thursday and at Nos. 43 and 45 on Friday.

"We are excited with where we're at in terms of having multiple selections in the second round, we feel like we're in a good spot in the first round," McDaniels said. "At the places we select in the first and second rounds in particular, we feel like we're going to get quality players that can come in and compete immediately and make a big impact on our team."

McDaniels said he expects there to be plenty more movement following the end of the first round and the start of the second round on Friday evening, especially considering how many highly rated players will likely still be available.

"We'll have a lot of time on our hands to say, 'I can't believe so-and-so is still there,'" McDaniels said. "It's going to be like that for every team."

In his 42-minute press conference, McDaniels also spoke highly of several prospects, and openly discussed players that the team hosted for visits at Dove Valley. Among them were quarterback Tim Tebow, wide receiver Dez Bryant, linebackers Rolando McClain and Sean Witherspoon, running backs Toby Gerhart, C.J. Spiller and Montario Hardesty and defensive tackle Dan Williams.

"We feel very comfortable with the board," McDaniels said. "We think it's a very deep draft."
Lindsay Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Carl
04-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Scenario...

Pick 11. The Denver Broncos are on the clock. The first 10 picks are as follows:

1. Bradford (Rams)
2. Suh (Lions)
3. McCoy (Bucs)
4. Okung (Redskins)
5. Bulaga (Chiefs)
6. Trent Williams (Hawks)
7. Berry (Browns)
8. Campbell (Raiders)
9. Clausen (Bills)
10. Morgan (Jags)

Do we really pass on Rolando McClain, Dez Bryant, Joe Haden, Dan Williams when we could very likely see:

12. Dan Williams (Dolphins)
13. Haden (49ers)
14. Bryant (Hawks)
15. McClain (Giants)

Im not saying all these picks are guarenteed so dont tell me that you disagree with a pick or something. I think we all can agree that this is a likely scenario and at the very least we shouldnt bet against it. I know Center and Guard are our biggest needs but MLB, WR, and CB are wayyyy sketchy positions when you look at our depth. Ducasse in the second or Walton in the 3rda arent terrible picks and they should be able to start for us this year. Why trade down with so much talent on the board at positions of need? If its smokescreen its a stupid one. It serves no purpose for teams to think we are going to trade down. And unless we only move back to something above 16 i think we miss out on a lot of talent. And moving back 4 picks is not worth potentially missing your guy to get an extra 4th or something. What do you guys think? Any substance to this? And if not why even say it?

jlarsiii
04-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess we will all see what they do in a little less than a week. After the Marshall trade all I have been able to think about is "what are they going to do in the draft this year?"

If we go off of events from the last draft, then we can all expect the broncos to jump all over the place with their picks and they will take at least one player that will shock all of us (probably not in a good way either).

I could see us moving back if all the stars align, but if we do I think that we could see potential fireworks from our war room for the rest of the draft.

xzn
04-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Moving back 9 picks to 20 would get us the 52nd overall pick.

Would you rather have Rolando Mc Clain only or Pouncey and Spikes?

I love me some Mc Clain, but I'd rather have the combo plate!

Scenario...

Pick 11. The Denver Broncos are on the clock. The first 10 picks are as follows:

1. Bradford (Rams)
2. Suh (Lions)
3. McCoy (Bucs)
4. Okung (Redskins)
5. Bulaga (Chiefs)
7. Berry (Browns)
8. Campbell (Raiders)
9. Clausen (Bills)
10. Morgan (Jags)

Do we really pass on Rolando McClain, Dez Bryant, Joe Haden, Dan Williams when we could very likely see:

13. Haden (49ers)
14. Bryant (Hawks)
15. McClain (Giants)

Im not saying all these picks are guarenteed so dont tell me that you disagree with a pick or something. I think we all can agree that this is a likely scenario and at the very least we shouldnt bet against it. I know Center and Guard are our biggest needs but MLB, WR, and CB are wayyyy sketchy positions when you look at our depth. Ducasse in the second or Walton in the 3rda arent terrible picks and they should be able to start for us this year. Why trade down with so much talent on the board at positions of need? If its smokescreen its a stupid one. It serves no purpose for teams to think we are going to trade down. And unless we only move back to something above 16 i think we miss out on a lot of talent. And moving back 4 picks is not worth potentially missing your guy to get an extra 4th or something. What do you guys think? Any substance to this? And if not why even say it?

Lancane
04-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Scenario...

1. Bradford (Rams)
2. Suh (Lions)
3. McCoy (Bucs)
4. Okung (Redskins)
5. Bulaga (Chiefs)
7. Berry (Browns)
8. Campbell (Raiders)
9. Clausen (Bills)
10. Morgan (Jags)

13. Haden (49ers)
14. Bryant (Hawks)
15. McClain (Giants)

In my honest opinion, I don't believe we should rule out anything at this point. If there is one thing we know about McDaniels it's to expect the unexpected and never buy into everything he says. Denver may trade down, but they may not...point being is that I would not be surprised if we traded someone we did not think about or anyone they felt that was not at that moment needed or part of the overall picture. I happen to believe that what McDaniels did by being so verbal about their board and the players is throw out feelers to see what value someone might be willing to part with for the 11th overall pick, I in no way feel that it was an admission of wanting to move as some have stated.

Traveler
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
My prediction:

Denver will do something completely unexpected and everyone will be left scratching their heads wondering, Why?

For whatever reason, it's been like that with Denver no matter who the coach is/was.

claymore
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I just hope we go BPA. Thats all I care about. I dont care if we trade back, up or sideways. Take the best player, and dont trade for a need.

Lonestar
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes DEN has had the REP for years of hearing WTH who is that?

I'm sure some of that will continue for both DEN and WAS.

I think in WAS case it will be less than in the past since they have a boneafide GM and lots of huge holes to fill. If they don't pick up an OT there in the first it will be WTF from all of their fans.

As for us I have yet to see Josh not do something OTHER than try to make the TEAM better.

I'll continue to hope he starts with LOS beef and brains. Then worry about WR issues. There is lots of depth there.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

SmilinAssasSin27
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Scenario...

1. Bradford (Rams)
2. Suh (Lions)
3. McCoy (Bucs)
4. Okung (Redskins)
5. Bulaga (Chiefs)
7. Berry (Browns)
8. Campbell (Raiders)
9. Clausen (Bills)
10. Morgan (Jags)

13. Haden (49ers)
14. Bryant (Hawks)
15. McClain (Giants)

That is assumingthat Denver wants the guys that YOU want.

McClain...maybe McD likes who he has now at MLB. Maybe he thinks he can pick up an additional #2 and still grab a Weatherspoon to play alongside DJ.

Dan Williams...Maybe w/ the addition of Jamal, McD doesn't value him as much as we do. Most scouts say that even though he's the #3 DT, he still may be a reach at 11. See my above comment, but change it to Mt. Cody.

Bryant...Love the kid, but again, Benn, Tate or Thomas and an additional pick??? I'd be all over it.

Haden...Sorry, 11 is way to high. We can get a Kyle Wilson later too.

But you also fail to mention where some value may be for a position of HUGE NEED. OLine and DE. Names that I'd break my TV if we picked at 11, but would be giddy at 20 or later include: Jared Odrick, Mike Iupati, Pouncey.

Just cuz you value these names, doesn't mean that's what the team necessarily wants to do. Just my 2 cents.

Ziggy
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
That's one thing about the draft. No matter who McD picks, the usual contingent is going to bash him for it. Then others are going to praise the picks because it was McD picking them. After the draft, all will be status quo once again at broncosforums.

nevcraw
04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
That's one thing about the draft. No matter who McD picks, the usual contingent is going to bash him for it. Then others are going to praise the picks because it was McD picking them. After the draft, all will be status quo once again at broncosforums.

probably so - but even as a skeptic of the the MCd regime - I do believe he has done his homework this year to set up a very good draft. Things have to fall into place but I would be shocked if we don't look back in a couple years and talk about one of the best draft classes in denver history.. The talent level and the large player pool due to impending lockout also helps our chances greatly..

jlarsiii
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Most likely you are right. Still, it will be hard not to be a little critical of McD if he pulls off another move that landed us Quinn last year in the 2nd round. I still scratch me head about that particular move. I would add the Smith deal as well but I hold out hope that the kid develops and becomes productive enough for the team for that move to just be "water under the bridge".

Either way I expect the draft to be entertaining this year given the unknown on if we move or how much we move.

jlarsiii
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
probably so - but even as a skeptic of the the MCd regime - I do believe he has done his homework this year to set up a very good draft. Things have to fall into place but I would be shocked if we don't look back in a couple years and talk about one of the best draft classes in denver history.. The talent level and the large player pool due to impending lockout also helps our chances greatly..

I hope you are right. I would really like to look back with 20/20 hindsight and state, "man, what a sweet draft we had in 2010!"

SmilinAssasSin27
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Most likely you are right. Still, it will be hard not to be a little critical of McD if he pulls off another move that landed us Quinn last year in the 2nd round. I still scratch me head about that particular move. I would add the Smith deal as well but I hold out hope that the kid develops and becomes productive enough for the team for that move to just be "water under the bridge".

Either way I expect the draft to be entertaining this year given the unknown on if we move or how much we move.

I still don't get the hate about the Quinn move. The Steelers wanted him and were gonna take him at their spot...according to local reports. He is an incredible blocker who scouts said had better hands than people thought....UNC just didn't use the TE. For all of us who cried and cried about the goalline failures, maybe this guy is a piece to the puzzle who will help get a push and or be a guy noone pays attention to as a RZ threat. Give it more than 1 year my man.

jlarsiii
04-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I still don't get the hate about the Quinn move. The Steelers wanted him and were gonna take him at their spot...according to local reports. He is an incredible blocker who scouts said had better hands than people thought....UNC just didn't use the TE. For all of us who cried and cried about the goalline failures, maybe this guy is a piece to the puzzle who will help get a push and or be a guy noone pays attention to as a RZ threat. Give it more than 1 year my man.

I am doing my best to give it some time. Sometimes it is hard to do so when I thought we would have been better served by utilizing all of our picks without trading some of them away.

I just assumed that with McD coming in as a new coach, and with all the holes we had to fill, that he would use each and every draft pick that we had last year to bring in quality and quantity. I suppose that is my big hang-up with trading away some picks during last years draft.

Only time will tell if those moves were prudent, or if they were the result of having little time to prepare coupled with inexperience at drafting.

Bosco
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM

That's exactly it. The Broncos really liked Quinn and they weren't confident that he would last to their pick in the 3rd round so they moved up into the 2nd to get him. As we know now, their worries were justified.

broncobryce
04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
As far as Quinn goes, setting the edge is very important. That's why Shanahan paid out the ass for Graham. Now we have someone to replace Graham if he leaves or when he retires.

turftoad
04-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes DEN has had the REP for years of hearing WTH who is that?

I'm sure some of that will continue for both DEN and WAS.

I think in WAS case it will be less than in the past since they have a boneafide GM and lots of huge holes to fill. If they don't pick up an OT there in the first it will be WTF from all of their fans.

As for us I have yet to see Josh not do something OTHER than try to make the TEAM better.

I'll continue to hope he starts with LOS beef and brains. Then worry about WR issues. There is lots of depth there.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Yeah, besides giving up Pro Bowl caliber playmakers and moving up in the draft to take suspect talent. :tsk:

T.K.O.
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
the draft is gonna be fun....i just have to try and remember not to go crazy reading fluffed up scouting reports on every guy we draft.i tend to do that and then place unrealistic expectations on the players.
it is hard to keep in mind that it typically takes 2-3 years to find out if a player is gonna be good/great or a bust.
and it's historically proven every draft will have a little of each.
but i will say i hope we get tough mothuhs on both sides of the line.
watching sb32 last night on nfln reminded me what a team made up of guys who wanted something so bad,and were willing to kick a$$ to get it done really looks like !!:salute:

gregbroncs
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, besides giving up Pro Bowl caliber playmakers and moving up in the draft to take suspect talent. :tsk:He got fair value for those cry baby pro bowl player's. That's a far cry from giving them up. In fact he robbed Chicago blind IMO.

Tempus Fugit
04-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I am doing my best to give it some time. Sometimes it is hard to do so when I thought we would have been better served by utilizing all of our picks without trading some of them away.

I just assumed that with McD coming in as a new coach, and with all the holes we had to fill, that he would use each and every draft pick that we had last year to bring in quality and quantity. I suppose that is my big hang-up with trading away some picks during last years draft.

Only time will tell if those moves were prudent, or if they were the result of having little time to prepare coupled with inexperience at drafting.

The thing is.... people now think that a difference of strategy automatically means that the other guy is wrong. It just doesn't work that way.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-18-2010, 03:13 PM

And I'll be complaining w/ ya if it doesn't pan out...but I'm gonna wait another 2 years.

Lonestar
04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
As far as Quinn goes, setting the edge is very important. That's why Shanahan paid out the ass for Graham. Now we have someone to replace Graham if he leaves or when he retires.

But if you look at Joshes NE model they drafted TE's almost every year, so I will not be surprised if we see another TE taken this year next year and the latest.

Lonestar
04-18-2010, 03:52 PM
He got fair value for those cry baby pro bowl player's. That's a far cry from giving them up. In fact he robbed Chicago blind IMO.

Lets see If I got his correct we got 2 1sts and 3rd for the former 12th pick in the draft

and we got 2 seconds for the former 119 pick plus we got a couple of years of production from them

the only thing that will hurt this is getting a 4th for the former 61st pick in TS.

I'll take doubling my picks any day for NON TEAM players.

Northman
04-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I just hope we go BPA. Thats all I care about. I dont care if we trade back, up or sideways. Take the best player, and dont trade for a need.

You might not want to watch this draft then. :lol:

Northman
04-18-2010, 04:16 PM

A-fricking men.

Northman
04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Because you move up if that guy is going to payoff immediately. We moved up to get Smith (although i stated many times that day that Butler would play as well or better) and low and behold NE picks him up and outplays Smith in everyway. Quinn may pay off 10 years from now but the team really needs players who can be plugged in and start right away to improve NOW. And moving up to get a guy that many didnt really care about just doesnt make sense to me. I know, im not the coach but i dont give a shit. I didnt like the move and as a fan i can state so.

James Bond
04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, besides giving up Pro Bowl caliber playmakers and moving up in the draft to take suspect talent. :tsk:

And I give you Jarvis Moss....

Point is that you are describing Shanahan. A couple of names Trevcor Price, Shannin Sarpe, and all that group that started with Toviessi, and I don't know how many busts Shanahan had.

His tremendous skills got one AFFG in 10 years.

WOWZA!

I have more faith in McD than I do in your "expert" analysis of McD's work so far. And your criticism seems a bit too pat to be anything but a mimic of "canned" attitudes.

It is possible that McD can fail big, but I don't think it is happening yet, and I am inclined to believe he will do quite well. In the meantime, it seems ****** to lay such unfounded negativity on McD.

It's okay to have your opinion, but it sure is ******.......IMO.

nevcraw
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Lets see If I got his correct we got 2 1sts and 3rd for the former 12th pick in the draft

and we got 2 seconds for the former 119 pick plus we got a couple of years of production from them

the only thing that will hurt this is getting a 4th for the former 61st pick in TS.

I'll take doubling my picks any day for NON TEAM players.

It's only good if the picks work out.. otherwise a cluster of epic porportion..
They've had the whole offseason to study the deepest draft in forever.. ;et's hope the pull the trigger on all the right guys.. The cupboard is pretty bare now with hardly any holdovers before 2008.

BigBroncLove
04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't know what the rest of you think but I hear a lot of talk about trading back for an additional pick this year. Though it is merely my preference I would be just as happy if not happier with a pick next year from trading back in the first round.

Usually picks that are attached to draft day trades for next year have much better value for the team moving back then their current draft day counter parts. Meaning we likely will get a second round next year compared to a third round this year if we switch first round picks. That or the same goes for second round picks this year and a first round pick next year.

Honestly if its in the same round (a second this year or a second next year) I'd prefer this years pick because you know where that second round pick is compared to guessing what it might be next, but usually you receive higher pick value for a pick in the following draft. That is of course unless the Broncos have someone specifically in their sights with the pick any draft day trade may entail for this year.

Is it just me though, but after the press conference did you get the idea that the Broncos have already been in negotiation with other teams with a draft day trade if the top 10 picks unfold in a way that certain players are there for the trading team? I did.... we'll see though.

Lonestar
04-19-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't know what the rest of you think but I hear a lot of talk about trading back for an additional pick this year. Though it is merely my preference I would be just as happy if not happier with a pick next year from trading back in the first round.

Usually picks that are attached to draft day trades for next year have much better value for the team moving back then their current draft day counter parts. Meaning we likely will get a second round next year compared to a third round this year if we switch first round picks. That or the same goes for second round picks this year and a first round pick next year.

Honestly if its in the same round (a second this year or a second next year) I'd prefer this years pick because you know where that second round pick is compared to guessing what it might be next, but usually you receive higher pick value for a pick in the following draft. That is of course unless the Broncos have someone specifically in their sights with the pick any draft day trade may entail for this year.

Is it just me though, but after the press conference did you get the idea that the Broncos have already been in negotiation with other teams with a draft day trade if the top 10 picks unfold in a way that certain players are there for the trading team? I did.... we'll see though.

But there are many Juniors that are hitting ht market this year and therefore the draft pool may not be as deep next year.

This is the deepest draft in certain ares OL, DL and LB for a long time. All areas for fixing a bare cupboard this year. a 3rd rounder this year will most likely be as good as 2 next year.

I think we will be trying to lay as many 2s as we can get our hands on and I think some 3s will be coming also. Josh is looking for Quality players this year and has a shopping list and is checking it twice.

we could come out of this draft with as many as 6-7 players in the top100 or so players. right now we have 3 under 50, 4 under 80.

dogfish
04-19-2010, 03:22 AM

yea, i agree with JR-- in a normal year i'd be very cool with that strategy, but next year's draft class could be somewhat talent-depleted by this year's influx of juniors. . .