PDA

View Full Version : 00-09 Denver All-Decade team

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Not necessarily the most productive, but for me the most explosive. I'm going 3-4 because our dline has generally sucked for so long and I hate the 4-3.

QB Jay Cutler
RB Clinton Portis
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Rod Smith
WR Javon Wlker
WR Ed McCaffery
TE Shannon Sharpe
T Ryan Clady
G Mark Lepsis
C Tom Nalen
G Dan Neil
T Ryan Harris

DE Ebeneezer Ekuban
DT Trevor Pryce
DE Reggie Hayward
OLB Elvis Dumerville
MLB DJ Williams
MLB AL Wilson
OLB John Mobley
CB Champ Bailey
CB Deltha ONeal
S Brian Dawkins
S John Lynch

K Jason Elam
P Who Cares

Discuss

Magnificent Seven
04-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Don't forget Bill Romanowski. He played in two seasons in that decade.

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Romo was good but I'm not sure I'd rather have him over Dooms and Mobley. Man our dline has sucked with good players.

BroncoBJ
04-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Well I'll probably put the players that I enjoyed watching the most / the best imo as well. A lil combo :P

But heres what I'd go with...

Offense:

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Clinton Portis
FB: Kyle Johnson
TE: Shannon Sharpe
TE: Wesley Duke :lol: ( really wanted him to be a star here)
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Eddie Mac
WR: Javon Walker
WR: Ashley Lelie ( I just liked him as a deep threat. Also liked Watts and Kasper. :elefant: )
T: Ryan Clady
T: Matt Lepsis
G: Ben Hamilton
G: Dan Niel
C: Tom Nalen

Defense:

DE: Trevor Pryce
DE: Bertrand Berry
DT: Gerard Warren
DT: Michael Myers
LB: Al Wilson
LB: DJ Williams
LB: Ian Gold
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Darrent Williams :salute:
S: Brian Dawkins
S: John Lynch

Kicker: Jason Elam
Punter: Tom Rouen :elefant:

Also liked Nick Ferguson for some reason. :elefant:

BUt I went with the 4-3 defense mainly because thats what we've ran the most and havn't used the 3-4 much over the last 10 years. Although I hate the 4-3 and like 3-4 a lot more.

And I realized that we really had no good Defensive tackles over the last 10 years. I was struggling thinking about who I liked. :lol:

But that'd be my 2000-2009 team. :salute:

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2010, 03:22 AM
FB: Kyle Johnson
DT: Gerard Warren
:

I forgot all about Kyle Johnson. Good call on that he was great for us a couple seasons. I struggled with Warren only having the one very solid season. I think Rueben Droughns was one of my favorite utility players. Dude was on kick off coverages, blocker and returner, played FB, RB, and even TE at times real well. I bet he could have played defense somewhere for us if we needed him too.

BroncoBJ
04-17-2010, 04:28 AM
I forgot all about Kyle Johnson. Good call on that he was great for us a couple seasons. I struggled with Warren only having the one very solid season. I think Rueben Droughns was one of my favorite utility players. Dude was on kick off coverages, blocker and returner, played FB, RB, and even TE at times real well. I bet he could have played defense somewhere for us if we needed him too.

Yea man, I thought Kyle was dope. I was sad when we cut him a few years ago. And yea, I was gonna put Droughns on the list as well but just put Portis on there instead. Rueben was definatly versitile for us and played a bunch of different Roles. McDaniels would have liked him. And yea, I wasn't sure on Warren either, but IMO, we havn't had any good D tackles over the last 10 years. :lol: Just average players. Nothing much.

cuzz4169
04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I think its a toss up between Plummer and cutler at QB I'd go with plummer he won more games for us. Cutler had the one good season and his #'s were inflated because our defense sucked so bad.

Lonestar
04-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Delta oneal at CB?

Matt Lepsis was an OT not OG.

While Hamilton sucked at OG the past 4-5 years since the change that dinger brought in. He was the best there. But maybe Kuper instead.

You can take all the DT off the list as for the most part we did not have any. 0ne year does not qualify for all decade.
Yes I think Jake accomplished a lot more than jay did at QB.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

EMB6903
04-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Ahh... Wesley Duke... the next Antonio Gates.

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Delta oneal at CB?

That's just it, who else?

Darrent Williams?
Terrell Buckley?
Andre Goodman?

Our CB's haven't been impressive by any means either. Funny how they are the one main position that has some relatrion to the dline, which has been terrible over the years.

Ahh... Wesley Duke... the next Antonio Gates.

LMAO I was even drinking that kool-aid. I wanted to like that guy so bad, but maybe there was more of a result for having Jeb Putzier for our TE.

EMB6903
04-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Delta oneal at CB?

While Hamilton sucked at OG the past 4-5 years since the change that dinger brought in. He was the best there. But maybe Kuper instead.

You can take all the DT off the list as for the most part we did not have any. 0ne year does not qualify for all decade.

Kuper might have been better the last 2 years but as far as career goes? he doesnt touch Hamilton's success yet.

Aside from Champ I couldnt think of a better CB then Deltha Oneal. Who would you have chosen at that position? Kelly Herndon? Darrent Williams? Dre Bly? lol, our CB's sucked in that era.

DenBronx
04-17-2010, 01:13 PM
QB Jay Cutler
RB Clinton Portis
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Rod Smith
WR Brandon Stokely
WR Ed McCaffery
TE Shannon Sharpe
T Ryan Clady
G Chris Kuper
C Tom Nalen
G Dan Neil
T Matt Lepsis

DE Ebeneezer Ekuban
DT Trevor Pryce
DE Reggie Hayward
OLB Elvis Dumerville
MLB DJ Williams
MLB AL Wilson
OLB Bill Romanowski
CB Champ Bailey
CB Deltha ONeal
S Brian Dawkins
S John Lynch

K Jason Elam
P Tod Sauerbruan

BroncoBJ
04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Delta oneal at CB?

But maybe we had a Mark Lepsis who was a Guard. :lol: But yea, I noticed that as well. And I agree with you on Defensive tackles. We havn't had anyone. Definatly the position that we've been terrible at the last 10 years.

And yea, I was always a big fan of Dukes. Wish he never got hurt. I remember I was mad when we drafted Scheffler because I liked Dukes. :lol:

Bosco
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Griese needs to be the guy over Cutler. That 2000 offense was 2nd best in the league (something Jay Cutler never came close to) and Griese was like a machine that year. Easily the best statistical season for any Denver quarterback in the post Elway era. I honestly think that if Griese didn't shred his shoulder that year that we could have made a run at the Super Bowl.

Lonestar
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Kuper might have been better the last 2 years but as far as career goes? he doesnt touch Hamilton's success yet.

Aside from Champ I couldnt think of a better CB then Deltha Oneal. Who would you have chosen at that position? Kelly Herndon? Darrent Williams? Dre Bly? lol, our CB's sucked in that era.

As for hamilton he played well until we changed to Pass protect in 06. then he became a guy on Skates getting pushed around a lot.

As for CB, we did not have one worth a crap besides Roland.
You can't pick a player just because he sucked less than the others, can you?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

GEM
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
I loved me some Mike Anderson.

topscribe
04-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Delta oneal at CB?

The Broncos went to the playoffs four times since 2000, and Jake quarterbacked
three of them. Cutler did not even have a winning season. I don't know how
Cutler could even be considered in the same breath as Jake. :tsk:

And O'Neal at CB? The guy was a bust here. I would put Goodman in there
instead. Even though he played only one season, he was part of a #3 pass
defense.

Ditto Javon Walker. I believe no WR is a better selection than him.

And yes, Kuper belongs there . .

-----

topscribe
04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I loved me some Mike Anderson.

Absolutely! :beer:

-----

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
As for hamilton he played well until we changed to Pass protect in 06. then he became a guy on Skates getting pushed around a lot.

As for CB, we did not have one worth a crap besides Roland.
You can't pick a player just because he sucked less than the others, can you?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You kind of have to to field a team. We don't want to put 8 players on defense this year because we really don't have a third dlinemen, 2nd MLB, or a FS.

The Tony Parker rule works wonders in this argument!!

BroncoBJ
04-17-2010, 09:36 PM
The Broncos went to the playoffs four times since 2000, and Jake quarterbacked
three of them. Cutler did not even have a winning season. I don't know how
Cutler could even be considered in the same breath as Jake. :tsk:

And O'Neal at CB? The guy was a bust here. I would put Goodman in there
instead. Even though he played only one season, he was part of a #3 pass
defense.

Ditto Javon Walker. I believe no WR is a better selection than him.

And yes, Kuper belongs there . .

-----

Yea, I agree. With Jake we won and went to the playoffs. I put Jay over him though just because I enjoyed watching Jay play a lot and seemed like I enjoyed his lil time here. Jake seemed to piss me off. However winning games didn't piss me off. I miss Jake because I miss winning. I miss that feeling. :( Sucks having to watch every team in the playoffs now instead of us.

And yea, I really liked Goodman actually as a CB this year. He grew on me. As for Walker, I'd def put Marshall as the better WR. He's been my favorite WR to ever watch in a Broncos uniform. I did enjoy Walker and wish we still had him and Marsh. I think D-will death definatly ruined him.

Like seeing everyones selections though. This is the Era that I've grown up around. Was too young for the 90's and wasn't around for the 80's. :lol:

:salute:

Lonestar
04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
You kind of have to to field a team. We don't want to put 8 players on defense this year because we really don't have a third dlinemen, 2nd MLB, or a FS.

The Tony Parker rule works wonders in this argument!!

Frankly we were fielding a team with 9 players for the past decade in some manner or the other.
:laugh::laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Who was that QB we signed as a FA from that Miner's college?

Anyways...
QB: Plummer w/o a doubt. Multiple playoff appearances. AFFCG appearance. Beat NE in the playoffs. Sorry Jay lovers, dude didn't accomplish shit while he was here.

RB: Mike Anderson. Portis is better, Mike was a Bronco longer, and hardly a slouch.

WR: Rod Smith, BM, Eddie mac

TE: Shannon Sharpe

OL: Nalen and Clady. Lepsis did his thing, but he's also the one who hurt TD. I hate that man.

DL: The browns? I kid. Trevor Pryce, Reggie Heyward, Ummm...I guess Doom since he played 4-3 most of his career so far.

LB: (4-3, we played 1 year of 3-4. It's just silly to call Denver's team of the 90s a 3-4 defense) Al Wilson, DJ Williams, John Mobley

CB: Champ and Deltha

S: Lynch and I guess dawkins, even though it was only for 1 season.

topscribe
04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Yea, I agree. With Jake we won and went to the playoffs. I put Jay over him though just because I enjoyed watching Jay play a lot and seemed like I enjoyed his lil time here. Jake seemed to piss me off. However winning games didn't piss me off. I miss Jake because I miss winning. I miss that feeling. :( Sucks having to watch every team in the playoffs now instead of us.

And yea, I really liked Goodman actually as a CB this year. He grew on me. As for Walker, I'd def put Marshall as the better WR. He's been my favorite WR to ever watch in a Broncos uniform. I did enjoy Walker and wish we still had him and Marsh. I think D-will death definatly ruined him.

Like seeing everyones selections though. This is the Era that I've grown up around. Was too young for the 90's and wasn't around for the 80's. :lol:

:salute:

Can you imagine Walker in his prime and Marshall on the same field? That had
me really excited at one time. Wow, as I think back now, that seems so long ago . . .

-----

BroncoBJ
04-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Can you imagine Walker in his prime and Marshall on the same field? That had
me really excited at one time. Wow, as I think back now, that seems so long ago . . .

-----

It does seem like forever ago. I remember thinking about Marshall and Walker playing on the same field for a while. Plus we locked him up for 5 years so I really got excited at the thought of them playing together for a while.

But I remember after the 1st few weeks of the 08 season. I really enjoyed the thought of Eddie and Marshall for years to come. :lol:

It feels great to have play makers on offense. I hope we become the team of the new decade. These last 10 years really did go by fast.

Funny how theres more sad times in sports then not. Even as happy as the Patriot fans have been this last decade. They still had 7 years without winning the Superbowl.

And I always think that if I live to be 80 years old. Denver might win a Superbowl 2 more times or so in my liftetime. Thats like 78 years of failure. Pretty depressing actually.