PDA

View Full Version : Draft a WR at No. 11? Not so fast, analyst says

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/04/15/draft-a-wr-at-no-11-not-so-fast-analyst-says/

With the Broncos losing their biggest and most productive wide receiver yesterday when they traded Brandon Marshall to Miami, it would be very easy to connect the dots that Denver is setting itself up to replace Marshall by selecting a receiver very high in next week’s NFL draft.

Maybe not, said ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay.

“I don’t expect them at all to take a receiver in the first,” McShay said on a conference call with reporters Thursday. “And it won’t shock me if they don’t take a receiver – I think they have four picks in the top 80 – if they wait until that 80th spot.”

McShay said he expects the Broncos select a player with the No. 11 overall pick that will be a starter, and McShay said he would expect the Broncos to go defense at that spot — perhaps a middle linebacker like Alabama’s Rolando McClain or a defensive lineman.

The consensus amongst the draft gurus is that this is deep draft, especially with players that will still be available late in the first round and early in the second. For that reason, McShay said he thinks the Broncos can get a stud wide receiver even if they chose to wait a bit longer. The two best second-round options, McShay said, are Arrelious Benn of Illinois and Golden Tate of Notre Dame.

The Broncos have recently hosted Dez Bryant, who should be a high first-round pick, and USC’s Damian Williams, among others.

“When you look at it, they could get a receiver that fits what they want with that third pick or that fourth pick,” McShay said.

claymore
04-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I can see the Brady QUinn Golden Taint jokes coming. I dont know why....

Lancane
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/04/15/draft-a-wr-at-no-11-not-so-fast-analyst-says/

With the Broncos losing their biggest and most productive wide receiver yesterday when they traded Brandon Marshall to Miami, it would be very easy to connect the dots that Denver is setting itself up to replace Marshall by selecting a receiver very high in next week’s NFL draft.

Maybe not, said ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay.

“I don’t expect them at all to take a receiver in the first,” McShay said on a conference call with reporters Thursday. “And it won’t shock me if they don’t take a receiver – I think they have four picks in the top 80 – if they wait until that 80th spot.”

McShay said he expects the Broncos select a player with the No. 11 overall pick that will be a starter, and McShay said he would expect the Broncos to go defense at that spot — perhaps a middle linebacker like Alabama’s Rolando McClain or a defensive lineman.

The consensus amongst the draft gurus is that this is deep draft, especially with players that will still be available late in the first round and early in the second. For that reason, McShay said he thinks the Broncos can get a stud wide receiver even if they chose to wait a bit longer. The two best second-round options, McShay said, are Arrelious Benn of Illinois and Golden Tate of Notre Dame.

The Broncos have recently hosted Dez Bryant, who should be a high first-round pick, and USC’s Damian Williams, among others.

“When you look at it, they could get a receiver that fits what they want with that third pick or that fourth pick,” McShay said.

Maybe someone should tell McShay something...to the likes of which J. Anderson originally reported on April 12th that Dez Bryant was to meet with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday following her report, the report was picked up by other media sources the following day, April the 13th and on the 14th running it as though it was that days news. The Wednesday following her report which would have been April the 14th, not sure of his arrival time or anything else. But what I find funny is that we we're meeting Dez Bryant the same day we traded Brandon Marshall, not after the fact. His visit was likely over by the time the trade was finalized the next day. I wonder if Sigmund Freud would consider that a mere coincidence?

We have no idea if Bryant came to Denver on the 13th and was their until Wednesday evening or what transpired, what I do understand is that Dez Bryant according to J. Anderson's report was here at the same time we were going through the steps with Marshall and his trade. Now it could be a pure coincidence, just one of those fubar deals, except the deal could have been agreed upon on the 13th or 14th, so we really don't know crap...like McShay in general. I just find it funny that we were meeting him at the time this trade stuff was going on.

Do I believe that we're going to take Bryant with the first overall pick? Not a 100% sure, but I feel good calling it, like I did with the Moreno pick last year at this time. Right now, unless Cleveland takes him...I think Dez Bryant will be a Denver Bronco.

---April 13, 2010; 3:40p.m.MDT---

There have been many predictions as to who the Denver Broncos will select with their first-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, however, the organization’s latest scheduled meeting may provide further insight.

Sources told Fox31’s Josina Anderson on Tuesday afternoon that wide receiver Dez Bryant, who is a top prospect out of Oklahoma State, is scheduled to visit with Broncos brass on Wednesday. Bryant is expected to depart Denver on Thursday, however it was emphasized his entire calendar has been very fluid.

In 2009, Bryant recorded 17 receptions for 323 yards and four touchdowns. Bryant played the first three games of the season for the Cowboys.

He was subsequently disciplined for the rest of the season after reportedly failing to disclose interactions with former NFL player Deion Sanders that were deemed an NCAA violation.

Prior to his suspension, Bryant was considered by many to be the best collegiate wideout prospect, and a possible Heisman Trophy candidate.

In 2008, Bryant had 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns which was his best season.
http://http://community.kdvr.com/_Sources-WR-Dez-Bryant-is-scheduled-to-visit-Broncos/BLOG/2298168/96399.html

If the report is true, then Dez Bryant was here in Denver while Marshall was being traded to Miami...

T.K.O.
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM

a)because you're "tainted" clay....:D
b) because you have "taint" on the brain:laugh:
c)because you can't stop thinking about quinn "tossing taters salad":beer:

Lancane
04-16-2010, 10:47 AM

I don't see Golden Tate becoming a Bronco and so far as we know we have shown no interest in him.

I'm not going to agree or disagree that we could find talent in the mid rounds, one kid that I feel has true raw talent like Bryant is Marcus Easley from Connecticut. But at this time, I believe that Dez Bryant is going to be a Denver Bronco.

Northman
04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't see Golden Tate becoming a Bronco and so far as we know we have shown no interest in him.

I'm not going to agree or disagree that we could find talent in the mid rounds, one kid that I feel has true raw talent like Bryant is Marcus Easley from Connecticut. But at this time, I believe that Dez Bryant is going to be a Denver Bronco.

Agreed. From what ive seen in the mock drafts so far most of them have Tate going early in the second or late in the first so really either Denver would have to trade down to get him or trade up in the second (uh oh) to get him. :lol:

topscribe
04-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Smart man, that Todd McShay. I would like to see another receiver in the stable, but not in the first round.

I'm still having nightmares over Marcus Nash and Ashlie Lelie . . .

-----

Lancane
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Agreed. From what ive seen in the mock drafts so far most of them have Tate going early in the second or late in the first so really either Denver would have to trade down to get him or trade up in the second (uh oh) to get him. :lol:

That and he really doesn't fit the mold of the receiver type that Pro-Spread utilizes.

And as I stated above, I find it funny that Dez Bryant who had just visited New England was brought in at the very same time we're working out and if I'm not mistaken and I might be, but I believe this was our second visit with him. I can not find anything to back it up, but there were reports that earlier, before he went to New England and so on that we were going to visit him...so maybe or maybe not.

Northman
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Smart man, that Todd McShay. I would like to see another receiver in the stable, but not in the first round.

-----

I know im stupid but i still think Nash could of been somebody. I guess my problem is i liked him so much in College that i was certain he was going to be a great pickup for us. I just never really felt like he was given an ample chance to succeed. But i could totally be off my rocker too. :lol:

Lancane
04-16-2010, 11:50 AM

-----

Todd McShay like Mel 'The Hair Helmet' Kiper have been wrong more times then I could count when it comes to the draft. I would tend to listen to Mike Mayock, at least he seems to have a clue.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Whether or not we draft Bryant at #11 - which I'm really hoping we don't because we'll look like the biggest bunch of hypocritical dumb-asses in the league if we do giving up one talented, yet troubled, WR for another - we seriously need to improve our WR position. I was looking at the current roster and I can't think of another time since before the 3 amigos when our WR position was as absolutely terrible as it is right now. Even when all we really had was Rod Smith, we still had Rod MFin' Smith.

Gaffney, Royal, Lloyd, Stokely, McKinley. Sounds like a group of #3s don't it? Do any of these guys scare any of the starting CB tandems in the NFL? Would you really worry too much about these guys as a DC? Look, I LOVE me some Eddie Royal, but he's just not big enough or physical enough to ever be "that guy". He needs a complementary big-body WR to really use him effectively, that's why he and Marshall were the perfect match.

The rest of those guys are all smaller and quicker. Even Gaffney is only 6'1" and 200 lbs (on his best day - by the looks of him, his playing weight is closer to 185 lbs) and he's our biggest WR. Even Rod Smith had a bigger guy line to up with him in Eddie Mac, Lelie, Walker, and then Marshall.

What worries me even more is it seems that the TEs are devalued into just extra Tackles in this offensive scheme. That means even less options for the QB.

Sitting here and really thinking about the status of our passing game, especially not knowing if the running game will be improved, is really starting to bother me. With our current offense, looks like the 17 PPG we averaged last year will be the high water mark for this year.

Yeah, I'd say we need some help.

DenBronx
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM

David Bruton and Ryan Harris are also from Notre Dame.

CoachChaz
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Whether or not we draft Bryant at #11 - which I'm really hoping we don't because we'll look like the biggest bunch of hypocritical dumb-asses in the league if we do giving up one talented, yet troubled, WR for another - we seriously need to improve our WR position. I was looking at the current roster and I can't think of another time since before the 3 amigos when our WR position was as absolutely terrible as it is right now. Even when all we really had was Rod Smith, we still had Rod MFin' Smith.

Gaffney, Royal, Lloyd, Stokely, McKinley. Sounds like a group of #3s don't it? Do any of these guys scare any of the starting CB tandems in the NFL? Would you really worry too much about these guys as a DC? Look, I LOVE me some Eddie Royal, but he's just not big enough or physical enough to ever be "that guy". He needs a complementary big-body WR to really use him effectively, that's why he and Marshall were the perfect match.

The rest of those guys are all smaller and quicker. Even Gaffney is only 6'1" and 200 lbs (on his best day - by the looks of him, his playing weight is closer to 185 lbs) and he's our biggest WR. Even Rod Smith had a bigger guy line to up with him in Eddie Mac, Lelie, Walker, and then Marshall.

What worries me even more is it seems that the TEs are devalued into just extra Tackles in this offensive scheme. That means even less options for the QB.

Sitting here and really thinking about the status of our passing game, especially not knowing if the running game will be improved, is really starting to bother me. With our current offense, looks like the 17 PPG we averaged last year will be the high water mark for this year.

I gues I'm still the only one that has yet to see where Bryant is "troubled"

Northman
04-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Blasphemy!!

You didnt like the Amigos homebre? Let me get my bat. :coffee::lol:

topscribe
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I know im stupid but i still think Nash could of been somebody. I guess my problem is i liked him so much in College that i was certain he was going to be a great pickup for us. I just never really felt like he was given an ample chance to succeed. But i could totally be off my rocker too. :lol:

Well, if, as you say, Nash might have been something, then you may be right in both counts here . . . :D

-----

Lancane
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Let me ask you this, if investigators came in like police and began to sweat you, would you not be iffy, possibly be weary of what you say to them. Unless your a career criminal which Bryant is not, then it's an uncomfortable situation. Beyond him lying to the NCAA what else has he done?

That's what I thought. :coffee:

topscribe
04-16-2010, 12:08 PM

I believe Bryant's "troubles" have been grossly overblown.

But I still cringe at the thought of a WR in the 1st round.

Question, Coach: In which round do you think Armanti Edwards will go?

-----

Northman
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM

-----

I dont know if his issue was overblown as that is a major violation of NCAA rules but it certainly a far cry from physical altercations with women and DUI arrests. I can live with a guy who has one bad incident on poor judgement but not 13.

CoachChaz
04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

-----

I'm not advocating drafting Bryant. I have 2 other guys I'd prefer over him at #11.

Edwards...right now, I have a 5th round value on him, but I could see him moving up draft boards. Nice speed, but he's a small guy from a small school with very limited experience at the WR position. if we're looking for Pat White we may as well just wait until Miami releases him.

Taylor Price - round 3. Bigger and faster than Edwards and the only part of his game that needs work is blocking

SOCALORADO.
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I dont know if his issue was overblown as that is a major violation of NCAA rules but it certainly a far cry from physical altercations with women and DUI arrests. I can live with a guy who has one bad incident on poor judgement but not 13.

What name did Armanti Edwards name his daughter?

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Frankly Coach, I don't know shit about the kid so I have to believe what's been said repeatedly about the kid from multiple sources. This is what I've picked up on:

The Good:

-He's very talented on the field. He's a potential top 5 player in this draft.

The Bad:

-He lied to the NCAA and was suspended - this I know to be fact.

-Off the field, he has an accountability problem and was often late to practices, meetings, and games.

-He's friends with (being mentored by) Deion Sanders and is using the same agent as Deion and Michael Crabtree who held out 'till mid season and threatened to hold out all year and re-enter the draft (all with Deion's blessing).

-He attended his friend Pac-Man Jones' "pro-day" to show support which leads me to believe he associates with him "outside of the office".

-He was unprepared for the BIGGEST JOB INTERVIEW IN HIS LIFE aka his pro-day when he forgot his cleats. He had a sub-par pro day (Rolando McClain actually had better 40 times, I think) even though he didn't participate at the combine due to injury and waited until late to hold it so he'd have maximum time to be ready - obviously he wasn't.

There you have it. In my world if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck. Like I said though, I don't know shit about him and didn't follow his career.

I respect you opinion however, and if you say the stuff above is just BS and he's a good kid who will be that "team player" that Marshall wasn't, I'll believe you and start carrying his flag, too. I just don't want to see another talented player come to Denver to be driven off because of "character issues".

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Let me ask you this, if investigators came in like police and began to sweat you, would you not be iffy, possibly be weary of what you say to them. Unless your a career criminal which Bryant is not, then it's an uncomfortable situation. Beyond him lying to the NCAA what else has he done?

That's what I thought. :coffee:

Lancane, please see my post above ^^^. And sincerely, I'd just be honest. Come on, it's not like he's never talked to the cops before. :D

CoachChaz
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Frankly Coach, I don't know shit about the kid so I have to believe what's been said repeatedly about the kid from multiple sources. This is what I've picked up on:

The Good:

The Bad:

-Off the field, he has an accountability problem and was often late to practices, meetings, and games.

-He's friends (being mentored by) Deion Sanders and is using the same agent as Deion and Michael Crabtree who hel;d out 'til mid season and threatened to hold out all year and re-enter the draft (all with Deion's blessing).

-He attended his friend Pac-Man Jones' "pro-day" to show support which leads me to believe he associates with him "outside of the office".

-He was unprepared for the BIGGEST JOB INTERVIEW IN HIS LIFE aka his pro-day when he forgot his cleats. He had a sub-par pro day (Rolando McClain actually had better 40 times, I think) even though he didn't participate at the combine due to injury and waited until late to hold it so he'd have maximum time to be ready - obviously he wasn't.

There you have it. In my world if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck. Like I said though, I don't know shit about him and didn't follow his career.

I respect you opinion however, and if you say the stuff above is just BS and he's a good kid who will be that "team player" that Marshall wasn't, I'll believe you and start carrying his flag, too. I just don't want to see another talented player come to Denver to be driven off because of "character issues".

The suspension was hardly what I would call a character issue. He's young and tried to lie about it and got caught. it happens

Being late for practices, etc...I'm willing to bet that he isnt the first draft prospect in history that ever did this.

The agent is a concern, but that's on the agent...not the player

Going to Pac-Man's pro-day. Who knows what that's about. but I dont see where is proves he hangs out with him and if he does, he's at the very least been able to avoid trouble.

I guess it strikes me as curious that a uy that slaps women and punches TV's and could at any moment be suspended for a lengthy time is okay to hand millions of dollars to simply because he plays well and a kid that has been exactly that...A KID is black-listed before he ever gets a chance to prove anything.

Like I said...I'm not advocating that we draft him at #11, but whoever ends up with him will have themselves one hell of a player

topscribe
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm not advocating drafting Bryant. I have 2 other guys I'd prefer over him at #11.

Edwards...right now, I have a 5th round value on him, but I could see him moving up draft boards. Nice speed, but he's a small guy from a small school with very limited experience at the WR position. if we're looking for Pat White we may as well just wait until Miami releases him.

Taylor Price - round 3. Bigger and faster than Edwards and the only part of his game that needs work is blocking

Oh goodness, if they drafted someone such as Edwards at #11, I think I would
end up in cardiac care. I never meant that at all. I just saw an article in the DP
about him, and it intrigues me a little. But, on second thought, it seems we
already have a player with similar size and skill set in McKinley, don't we?

-----

Lonestar
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM

OK what position does he play? WR

How many top college WR's are not head cases.

Therefore WR=trouble.

ANyway now that I have explained the logic. Lets say him not playing his senior year bothers me.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Blasphemy!!

That's not what I said! I said I can't think of a time since BEFORE the three Amigos!

Dude, I'd never dis Johnson, Jackson, and Nattiel like that!

topscribe
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Blasphemy!!

There is only one reason the Three Amigos had any success: John Elway.

They were three pedestrian receivers. I was never particularly impressed with them.

IMHO.

-----

Lancane
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM

They were three pedestrian receivers. I was never particularly impressed with them.

IMHO.

-----

So they were the elder version of Gaffney, Lloyd and Stokely? :lol:

Northman
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
What name did Armanti Edwards name his daughter?

Um, no idea. You got me what was it?

Northman
04-16-2010, 12:30 PM

IMHO.

-----

Of course they werent allstars but they were ******* fun to watch. That was my point so you guys are losers for not getting my humor. :tsk:

topscribe
04-16-2010, 12:35 PM
So they were the elder version of Gaffney, Lloyd and Stokely? :lol:

At least you didn't include Royal in that.

But they were okay, I guess. It was just that I got all wrapped up in the fanfare
surrounding them, and then got dumped by their mediocrity . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
The suspension was hardly what I would call a character issue. He's young and tried to lie about it and got caught. it happens

:confused: So it's okay? You're a coach, if your player lied to you and you caught them would you not think it's a "character" issue? One of the 1st things you're taught as a child is not to lie, cheat, or steal - at least in most households. This wasn't a "technicality". If he'll lie to the NCAA with so much on the line, then he'll lie to Bowlen, McDaniels, his teammates, hell even Goodell.

Once again, I don't know the kid. Everyone says he's talented (I never really saw him play but I think, once). Great, but how often has a player EVER turned over a new leaf. Guys were clamoring for Marshall because they thought he'd "turned over a new leaf"... we'll see. Chris Henry (RIP), Travis Henry, Dale Carter, etc, etc, etc. The pattern of misconduct is what it is.

All I'm saying is, if all I'd heard about was the suspension, okay he made a mistake, move on.

Dude, the guy just "hired a life coach" whatever the hell that means?! He's obviously so messed up right now (before all the fame and money of the NFL has tainted him) that he felt the need (or more likely was forced by his agent) to hire someone to tell his currently unemployed ass where to be and when because his schedule of working out, chillin' with his homies, and visiting teams that might be willing to pay him MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is too hectic for him to handle on his own... really? This is the guy you want on your team?

Who's going to keep this guy in check if nobody in the locker room could keep Marshall straight? It's not like we have a Ray Lewis type of locker room leader and more importantly off the field mentor right now. But, if you can overlook all of that stuff and say he's good to go, I'll believe you.

Nomad
04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
OK what position does he play? WR

How many top college WR's are not head cases.

Therefore WR=trouble.

ANyway now that I have explained the logic. Lets say him not playing his senior year bothers me.

I've only seen one person around here call him a criminal! Bryant has a few ? but like JR I have grown to paint most WOs with the same brush with rare ones coming out such as LF or AJ until proven otherwise!!

I want to trade down and get a certain olineman so that's my reasoning for skipping Bryant plus his agent is another factor for me to be wary!!

nevcraw
04-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I actually think they draft 2 Wr's.

One with the 2 second round picks and one mid..

and I am still hoping beyond hope that jordan Shipley becomes our slot machine for the next 6 years.

SOCALORADO.
04-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I actually think they draft 2 Wr's.

One with the 2 second round picks and one mid..

and I am still hoping beyond hope that jordan Shipley becomes our slot machine for the next 6 years.

Couldnt Royal become a slot machine for the next 6 years?!?!?

And does anyone specifically know what Josh McDaniels said today at the presser about Dez Bryant and his evil, monstrous, "criminal" activities??

Lonestar
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
:confused: So it's okay? You're a coach, if your player lied to you and you caught them would you not think it's a "character" issue? One of the 1st things you're taught as a child is not to lie, cheat, or steal - at least in most households. This wasn't a "technicality". If he'll lie to the NCAA with so much on the line, then he'll lie to Bowlen, McDaniels, his teammates, hell even Goodell.

Once again, I don't know the kid. Everyone says he's talented (I never really saw him play but I think, once). Great, but how often has a player EVER turned over a new leaf. Guys were clamoring for Marshall because they thought he'd "turned over a new leaf"... we'll see. Chris Henry (RIP), Travis Henry, Dale Carter, etc, etc, etc. The pattern of misconduct is what it is.

All I'm saying is, if all I'd heard about was the suspension, okay he made a mistake, move on.

Dude, the guy just "hired a life coach" whatever the hell that means?! He's obviously so messed up right now (before all the fame and money of the NFL has tainted him) that he felt the need (or more likely was forced by his agent) to hire someone to tell his currently unemployed ass where to be and when because his schedule of working out, chillin' with his homies, and visiting teams that might be willing to pay him MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is too hectic for him to handle on his own... really? This is the guy you want on your team?

Who's going to keep this guy in check if nobody in the locker room could keep Marshall straight? It's not like we have a Ray Lewis type of locker room leader and more importantly off the field mentor right now. But, if you can overlook all of that stuff and say he's good to go, I'll believe you.

Life coach AYE, sounds like he needs a mother.:salute:

Ravage!!!
04-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Seems there are a lot of great 'life' coaches. Zig Ziglar could absolutely be considered a 'life coach.' If you are more business oriented, and money minded, people like Robert Kiyosaki could be considered a life coach.

Neither one, is someone I would say replaces a 'mother.' :coffee:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Nope...not the only one.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Many 20 year olds who don't have all of the rules memorized and get questioned by a bunch of suits will lie as a defense machanism. It's not right, but it is normal. Lying, to many, tends to result in a lesser penalty than admitting to something. Again, not ideal, but hardly the end of the world. I've lied before. So has everyone else here. Some people live by a "admit to nothing" creed. Are they all terrible people? The kid got bumrushed, freakd out and handled it not 100% perfectly, but did handle it like a normal college aged kid. No more. No less.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM

The Good:

The Bad:

-He's friends with (being mentored by) Deion Sanders and is using the same agent as Deion and Michael Crabtree who held out 'till mid season and threatened to hold out all year and re-enter the draft (all with Deion's blessing).

Ummm...let's take the bad.

He did lie...but do ya think the NCAA held a symposium for all student atheletes and informed them that LYING =year long suspension? I kinda doubt it.

He denies all the tardiness allegations. Both he and fellow players said the situations that were "reported" were not even possibilities...and the stuff didn't even get reported until 2 months prior to the draft. Maybe certain teams are hoping he drops to em???

Deion Sanders has never been accused of a crime last time I checked. Many players hold out. Dez may, but Deion isn't the problem IMHO.

The Pac_man thing...I agree 100% w/ ya. That was a bad call on his part.

PRO DAY...He took 6 pairs of shoes and forgot the cleats. Stupid mistake? yes. An indication that he isn't interested or lazy? hardly. And who cares how he ran? Didi he not just skip the combine to to a pulled hammy? If that's not 100% yet, it could easily cost him .05 seconds. That 0.5 is the difference between him being "out of shape" (although he put on 12 lbs of muscle) and the scouts drooling.

Trust me, I don't want the second coming of BM, Santonio, TO, etc. But I really believe the stuff about this kid is overhyped. I wouldn't put it past a team picking in the late teens to "leak info" that could make other teams second guess him. And I don't even want him at 11. I want OLine. I just think he's getting a bit of a bad rap.

dogfish
04-16-2010, 09:54 PM

plus he's a bobcat! MAC represeeeeeent!

:whoo:

Lancane
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
plus he's a bobcat! MAC represeeeeeent!

:whoo:

Yep...just what we need another project pick! ;)

WARHORSE
04-16-2010, 10:47 PM
If Bryant is the top rated player on our board at the pick.......pick him.

My thought is Spiller is high on our board.

Lonestar
04-16-2010, 10:51 PM
If Bryant is the top rated player on our board at the pick.......pick him.

My thought is Spiller is high on our board.

We really do not need a 194 RB regardless of speed. He does not run up the middle one of Joshes favorites.

Sorry I do not see him in DEN. atleast not in the first couple of rounds.

Nomad
04-17-2010, 06:49 AM
I honestly believe McDaniels wants to move down and I agree with Florio that this his way of trying to get another team to bite on him early or if he can find a team to move up.

More red flags than at the parking lot at a Nebraska game:lol:!
__________________________________________________ ______________

Josh McDaniels says Dez Bryant is on the Broncos' board
Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2010 7:02 AM ET
With receiver Brandon Marshall finally getting his long-coveted ticket out of Denver, the Broncos need to acquire at some point another dominant receiver -- a project that is far easier said than done. Some think that the Broncos will simply pounce on Dez Bryant with the No. 11 pick in the draft. At Friday's pre-draft press conference, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels talked both about Bryant -- and about the 11th overall selection.

"We had Dez Bryant here the other day, we spent time with him at the Combine, we spent a lot of time with him actually," McDaniels said. "I'm not going to comment on Brandon, but with Dez Bryant, I think you need to be careful confusing character issues with some people who have made some mistakes.

"This guy has never been arrested, never had a drinking issue and never done anything to put himself in that position. I think he's made a few mistakes that he wishes he hadn't made but I think there's a difference. You can say well, 'This guy has made a couple mistakes that have been really glorified,' and made a big deal of it and all of the sudden turn him into a really bad kid. That's the farthest thing from the truth relative to [Bryant]. We enjoyed our visit with him and he did everything we asked him to do. He had a smile on his face and he did everything well. I'll tell you this, he's on our board -- there's no question. I know there are other teams that may have taken him off their board but he is not one of the players who is off our board."

Of course, everything a coach says less than a week before the draft is subject to a very thick B.S. filter. Given that McDaniels also mused about trading down, it could be that his comments about Bryant were aimed at persuading someone to move up to get him if Bryant remains on the board at No. 11.

Really, why gush about the guy if you truly want him? Indeed, there's a chance that such talk could prompt one of the teams sitting at No. 3 through No. 10 to take him.

Though we think Bryant's story has the potential to be an inspiring one, the problem with taking him is that, if he becomes a problem at the NFL level, it will be hard for the G.M. and/or coach who takes a chance on him to explain his way out of the situation when the guy who signs the checks wants to know why both a first-round pick and so much of the owner's money was spent on a guy with more red flags than the parking lot at a Nebraska game.

Lancane
04-17-2010, 07:13 AM
At least you didn't include Royal in that.

But they were okay, I guess. It was just that I got all wrapped up in the fanfare
surrounding them, and then got dumped by their mediocrity . . .

-----

That's because there is still some hope that Royal is not another Lelie or Nash...

;)