PDA

View Full Version : Marshall's parting words to Broncos are kind ones

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14894819

Admit it. It hasn't set in yet. It's difficult to believe the Broncos are carrying on without Brandon Marshall.

Jay Cutler had his fans as a quarterback, but his aloof personality was difficult for even the most ardent Broncos fan to embrace.

Marshall was nothing if not charming. He was so much more, of course. It was sometimes easy to detest his antics. He would say and do some of the darndest things.

But chances are those who didn't like him at least a little probably never met him in person.

If it means anything, Marshall misses you too.

"I wouldn't be in the position I am now if I wasn't drafted by the Broncos, Coach (Mike) Shana-han and his staff," Marshall said Thursday by phone from Miami, where he is now a Dolphins receiver after his trade Wednesday from the Broncos in exchange for two second-round draft picks. "Mr. B is probably one of the best owners in all the sports. The community for embracing me when I was down and when I was up. I wouldn't have become that guy, I wouldn't have made it to the Pro Bowls if the Broncos fans weren't with me."

Marshall wanted to clear something up. His desire to leave the Broncos was about business, was about putting his troubled past behind him. But it was never about anything personal with owner Pat Bowlen — Mr. B, as he is known inside of Broncos headquarters — or coach Josh McDaniels.

"The perception with me and Josh was we hated each other's guts," Marshall said. "The reality is there were a lot of ups and downs, but that's part of football. That's part of being around someone every day. I said it during the season, after the season, that the No. 1 thing I like about Coach is he approaches coaching like I approach playing. And that's with a lot of emotion. And I respect that. That's the type of coach a lot of guys want to play for.

"I think we just got together at a time when there was just too much uncertainty and a lot of concern there, and we just didn't get it done there."

It was pointed out Marshall's departure may have magnified the apprehension among the Broncos faithful. Sure, McDaniels seems like a bright, talented coach with a winning past. But the departures of Cutler, Marshall, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and, soon, Tony Scheffler, have masked the usual optimism with, if not pessimism, at least uncertainty.

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough, but the track the team and organization is on now, there's a lot of success ahead," Marshall said. "With Josh's leadership, there is definitely a bright light at the end of the tunnel."

Maybe it's good the Broncos are moving forward without Marshall. Maybe it's bad. The Broncos without Marshall will be different.

"This time right now is really bittersweet," he said. "I think I'll do great down here, but I know what's going on in that Bronco locker room and with that organization, and I know the Broncos will do well."

rationalfan
04-16-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14894819

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough, but the track the team and organization is on now, there's a lot of success ahead," Marshall said. "With Josh's leadership, there is definitely a bright light at the end of the tunnel."[/U][/B]

key part of the quote in bold, it should be a reminder to all the people who choose revisionist history to remember the days before mcd.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 10:16 AM
key part of the quote in bold, it should be a reminder to all the people who choose revisionist history to remember the days before mcd.

Agreed the following is a key part of what Brandon said: And for those who constantly bash Coach McD - keep in mind that Brandon did NOT have to say this.

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough, but the track the team and organization is on now, there's a lot of success ahead," Marshall said. "With Josh's leadership, there is definitely a bright light at the end of the tunnel."

CoachChaz
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
But because he is saying that now he is "just saying all the right things". Watch...someone will use that excuse

Ravage!!!
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
excuse? Its an excuse to believe he's just saying the right things? Excuse for what? I'm patting him on the back for saying the right things.

Marshall wouldn't have had a chance to sign that contract if we didn't trade him away, first. So if it wasn't bad blood between the coach and the player, why trade the most dynamic player you have on the field? It only causes problems by making more holes to fill and problems for the offense by trading him away. So what reason is there, really, other than the coach didn't want him on the team?

Its not an "excuse" to see him say things are ok.... its an observation that he's mature enough to say the right things to the media. Marshall, in reality, has always been saying the right things to the media.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
excuse? Its an excuse to believe he's just saying the right things? Excuse for what? I'm patting him on the back for saying the right things.

Marshall wouldn't have had a chance to sign that contract if we didn't trade him away, first. So if it wasn't bad blood between the coach and the player, why trade the most dynamic player you have on the field? It only causes problems by making more holes to fill and problems for the offense by trading him away. So what reason is there, really, other than the coach didn't want him on the team?

Its not an "excuse" to see him say things are ok.... its an observation that he's mature enough to say the right things to the media. Marshall, in reality, has always been saying the right things to the media.

And, please break down what Brandon meant by the following - pre Coach McD.

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough, but the track the team and organization is on now, there's a lot of success ahead," Marshall said.

rationalfan
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
But because he is saying that now he is "just saying all the right things". Watch...someone will use that excuse

indeed. but i'm hoping someone else points out that he's passively throwing shanahan under the bus.

Northman
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM

True. The last thing he really wants to do is send a message to the tuna that he is spiteful. But we've gotten used to Brandon saying all the right things and yet still screw up so i believe this is just a PR campaign on his part to protect his reputation so that he doesnt make the dolphins nervous about his behavior.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2010, 11:42 AM
True. The last thing he really wants to do is send a message to the tuna that he is spiteful. But we've gotten used to Brandon saying all the right things and yet still screw up so i believe this is just a PR campaign on his part to protect his reputation so that he doesnt make the dolphins nervous about his behavior.

He always did say the right things to the media... even after the benching, during the 'punting' incidents... anytime he was asked about McD during the year....... I remember people pointing out that Marshall was being more 'mature' with the media than the coach.

I agree with you here. This doesn't have anything to do with what may happen off field, maturity wise.

But even Graham in the other article (in the other thread) pointed out how tense things were between the coach and Marshall. I like that he says the right things to the press....... better than goofing up off the field, then backing that up with more mistakes to the press.

Northman
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
He always did say the right things to the media... even after the benching, during the 'punting' incidents... anytime he was asked about McD during the year....... I remember people pointing out that Marshall was being more 'mature' with the media than the coach.

I agree with you here. This doesn't have anything to do with what may happen off field, maturity wise.

But even Graham in the other article (in the other thread) pointed out how tense things were between the coach and Marshall. I like that he says the right things to the press....... better than goofing up off the field, then backing that up with more mistakes to the press.

At least for his sake, now he is 50 million dollars richer.

Ravage!!!
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
And, please break down what Brandon meant by the following - pre Coach McD.

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough, but the track the team and organization is on now, there's a lot of success ahead," Marshall said.

Whats there to break down, Carol? You get so defensive.

If you don't think that Marshall was just being PC about his relationship with the coach.. fine. I do. But whats this have to do with the part you highlighted, anything? :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Whats there to break down, Carol? You get so defensive.

If you don't think that Marshall was just being PC about his relationship with the coach.. fine. I do. But whats this have to do with the part you highlighted, anything? :confused:

No, not defensive at all. You feel that Marshall was just being PC about his relationship with the current coach, and I ask what you felt he meant in regards to this comment:

"For the past few years, even before Josh got there, it's been rough

not sure how you feel that indicates I was being defensive.

Broncolingus
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Marshall's parting words to Broncos are kind ones

Mmmm...interesting.

Nice words, but I guess I still remain confused...

...because if there was apparently no issue then with McD, Bronco's staff, Bowlen, he was happy in Denver, etc., etc., etc....

...then it must simply have been Denver couldn't pay him the money he wanted because he would've loved to have stayed?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Mmmm...interesting.

Nice words, but I guess I still remain confused...

...because if there was apparently no issue then with McD, Bronco's staff, Bowlen, he was happy in Denver, etc., etc., etc....

...then it must simply have been Denver couldn't pay him the money he wanted because he would've loved to have stayed?

I would also have to believe it was all about the $$$$$$$$$$$. Could be, not enough to go around to satisfy both him and Doom - just a guess on my part.

broncobryce
04-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I believe him when he said it was a 'business decision'. He has a brutal past in Denver. Mostly at his own hands, but too many bad memories there I think. Damn shame. But way to show class.

JPPT1974
04-16-2010, 09:21 PM
May not have liked his ego off the field but he did seem nice there. As I wish him nothing but the best of luck!

Lonestar
04-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Just not following through with all the promises he made to do better.

But then............

T.K.O.
04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
i wish just one time casual fans would listen to what the player and coaches had to say,and not put endless speculation and spin on it.
it's so much easier that way...and you get the benefit of actually knowing what really happened.crazy but true:salute:

Bosco
04-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I believe him when he said it was a 'business decision'. He has a brutal past in Denver. Mostly at his own hands, but too many bad memories there I think. Damn shame. But way to show class.

That's what I think it boils down too. Not only with all the legal troubles and D-Will's death, there has been that speculation that he doesn't feel safe in Denver after the trial. He simply felt he needed to get away from that.

BigBroncLove
04-17-2010, 12:21 PM

I agree.... Ya know, I want and will take Marshalls comments at face value, but also with a big grain of salt. You can't put to much stock in PR statements. After all what would he have to gain by putting the Broncos on the slab and hacking away? Cutler did that to a degree last year and the media and obviously fans of Denver looked down upon it as childish. Cutler seemed to have more support in the media before his comments about Denver and its fans. After he was projected more so as being slightly more vindictive and adolescent.

There is, from a purely PR point of view, nothing to gain by lamb basting the Denver organization. Especially since it's obvious they worked with Marshall to land him somewhere where he would make the money he was pressing for. He hired a PR agency (however stupid one of their comments may have been) for a reason. He obviously wanted and needed to be better at projecting the right image. I think there's two sides of the same coin and you have to look at both at what he said and the circumstances he said them under. Come to your own conclusions, whatever they may be....

I think though that saying to only look at what coaches and players say and reading it as gospel is a little foolish. Critical thinking is prized for a reason and should be applied to statements and actions alike with an eye to balance between what has occurred and what has been said.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-17-2010, 12:42 PM
This trade is a win for everybody. Marshall gets a fresh start and gigantic contract, denver gets 2 second round picks, and we lose my favorite player, which I'll get over.

T.K.O.
04-17-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree.... Ya know, I want and will take Marshalls comments at face value, but also with a big grain of salt. You can't put to much stock in PR statements. After all what would he have to gain by putting the Broncos on the slab and hacking away? Cutler did that to a degree last year and the media and obviously fans of Denver looked down upon it as childish. Cutler seemed to have more support in the media before his comments about Denver and its fans. After he was projected more so as being slightly more vindictive and adolescent.

There is, from a purely PR point of view, nothing to gain by lamb basting the Denver organization. Especially since it's obvious they worked with Marshall to land him somewhere where he would make the money he was pressing for. He hired a PR agency (however stupid one of their comments may have been) for a reason. He obviously wanted and needed to be better at projecting the right image. I think there's two sides of the same coin and you have to look at both at what he said and the circumstances he said them under. Come to your own conclusions, whatever they may be....

I think though that saying to only look at what coaches and players say and reading it as gospel is a little foolish. Critical thinking is prized for a reason and should be applied to statements and actions alike with an eye to balance between what has occurred and what has been said.

if this was in reference to my post,i would like to clarify.i said nothing about reading it as gospel,i said without endless "speculation and spin".
obviously we will all have an opinion or come to our own conclusions based on what was said vs. what transpired.
but so many people seem to completely disregard the opinions of the parties that are actually involved.it becomes quite silly:confused:

BigBroncLove
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
if this was in reference to my post,i would like to clarify.i said nothing about reading it as gospel,i said without endless "speculation and spin".
obviously we will all have an opinion or come to our own conclusions based on what was said vs. what transpired.
but so many people seem to completely disregard the opinions of the parties that are actually involved.it becomes quite silly:confused:

It wasn't actually directed at you though I can understand why you took it at that way. It's a general point against looking only at players and coaches and saying, "did they say that?". Going off of what is said only and nothing more. That's a bit ridiculous because in an environment like the one these sport players live what you say doesn't always fall in line with what is true, nor does it mean everything you hear is a lie.

I think it's equally as dangerous to look only at what analysts and sports journalists have to say and take it as gospel (after all they need to write or say something and controversy is a story that bleeds).

However on the flip side it is the same for just looking at every word that falls upon a microphone from these players/coaches as the real story. I think you take both what occurs and what is said and form your own opinion. Generally it means we all come to a somewhat different conclusion, though some may fall in closer to others. It's a difficult balance, but be to far in the extreme in either one will generally lead you down a blind path IMO.

In the case of Marshall, asking to be traded last July (or June.... not sure), his cases of conduct with the team, trading words about injury at the end of the season (with is as much up McD's alley as his), and generally making the most mature statements followed by contrary conduct make me want to question what he says more than digest it without second thought. He's just as susceptible to change as any of us, so you can't say you only look at the past, but it does place itself as a piece of the puzzle. So I take what Marshall says with a grain of salt and am likely to rely just as much on my own opinion of the events as the words he says. If it was a player like Bailey it would likely be very different, but he has a different past and level of credibility in my mind.