PDA

View Full Version : Why is Peter King pretending to be a draft guru?

lex
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I saw that he has recently done a mock draft. Thats fine. Whatever. But now he's on Sirius answering questions regarding the draft and Im listening to this and thinking, "whats this fraud doing on the air talking about this"? Suddenly this jerk thinks he's Mike Mayock? All this guy does is annexes the thoughts of others and passes it on. What kind of analysis is that? Anyone can do what he does. Why is Peter King relevant anyway? I really dont see what he brings to the table that makes him so prominent in NFL coverage. Yikes!

Rex
04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Imagine that? People pretending to be draft experts.

lex
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM

What are you implying?

turftoad
04-23-2008, 01:26 PM
What are you implying?

Probably that we all have an opinion about the draft, not just the experts.

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM

And Peter King HAS been covering the NFL 27 years.

Rex
04-23-2008, 01:28 PM

DC loves Peter King

atwater27
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM

L.M.A.O.

lex
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM

Yeah, but "we all" arent on the radio. Like I said, a lot of what he says is annexed ideas. Its not like I really get the impression he's spent a significant amount of time watching college football. A lot of us have our opinions from actually watching guys play.

How long has he been a draft expert? I think he's just riding the trend. And, btw, he's been blocking Denver Broncos from getting into the HOF for a significant part of that 27 years.

Rex
04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but "we all" arent on the radio. Like I said, a lot of what he says is annexed ideas. Its not like I really get the impression he's spent a significant amount of time watching college football. A lot of us have our opinions from actually watching guys play.

How long has he been a draft expert? I think he's just riding the trend. And, btw, he's been blocking Denver Broncos from getting into the HOF for a significant part of that 27 years.

He gets paid.:shocked:

lex
04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
He gets paid.:shocked:

Im aware of that. He is associated with the NFL because he has been doing his sappy old man stories on the NFL for 27 years and has created a brand for himself. People associate him with the NFL. That doesnt mean he's good or that he should be passing himself off as a draft expert.

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Bash the journalists! They all suck!

Find something more productive to do...

atwater27
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Cold glass of bitter jealousy? Anyone?

lex
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Cold glass of bitter jealousy? Anyone?

What am I jealous about? Its not like I aspire to be a draft guru...not that theres anything wrong with that.

lex
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Bash the journalists! They all suck!

Find something more productive to do...

Yeah, a lot of them do suck. And sports is kind of the toy department of journalism...not exactly Kristianne Amanpour stuff we're talking about.

Rex
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, a lot of them do suck. And sports is kind of the toy department of journalism...not exactly Kristianne Amanpour stuff we're talking about.

Ding ding ding.

atwater27
04-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Then why criticize them so much?

lex
04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Then why criticize them so much?

Because I want to.

lex
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Ding ding ding.

I wasnt the one who used the word journalist. Im not saying they should get the kid glove treatment because theyre not real journalists.

mclark
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Best laugh of the day.

(Guilty as sin, your honor!)

mclark
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
What am I jealous about? Its not like I aspire to be a draft guru...not that theres anything wrong with that.

Second best laugh of the day, Seinfeld.

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Just so you know, the requirements for being a journalist don't include, "must be in the Middle East fighting a war against George Bush."

BroncoJoe
04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
PK's picks / draft guesses are just as good as any other "expert" out there. If you read his article, he starts off by saying something to that effect.

Here's the problem with mock drafts: I had my top 13 done Sunday morning. I was pretty happy with it. (The way I look at it is after the top 10 or 12, predicting the draft is fruitless anyway, like picking the Trifecta at a dog track, so I concentrate on trying to be remotely competent at the top.) But after talking to two teams' final-deciders in a 20-minute span, I decided that everything I knew was blown to smithereens. If Jake Long signs with Miami, every one of the smart guys on the planet is screwed.

What follows is my best guess about the how the first round will go. Operative words here: "best guess.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/04/20/mmqb/index.html

JONtheBRONCO
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Because you touch yourself at night.

mclark
04-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Just so you know, the requirements for being a journalist don't include, "must be in the Middle East fighting a war against George Bush."

Best thread in a while. Getting primed for the draft in the right way.

lex
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Isn't there a forum for that?

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Isn't there a forum for that?

You brought it up.

Go ahead and bag on the profession. Make your opinions about my peers. I'll defend them because idiots like you continue to read them and get pissed off.

Idiots, like you, have no clue about my profession. They should study it for once before they go off half-cocked.

mclark
04-23-2008, 11:42 PM
A 'real journalist' is someone who works in journalism.

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
A 'real journalist' is someone who works in journalism.

Define journalism...because sports journalism is a profession...

Time to bag on journalists more...

lex
04-24-2008, 12:02 AM
You brought it up.

Go ahead and bag on the profession. Make your opinions about my peers. I'll defend them because idiots like you continue to read them and get pissed off.

Idiots, like you, have no clue about my profession. They should study it for once before they go off half-cocked.

I brought up Kristianne Amanpour...didnt make anything political out of it though. Like I said, theres a thread for that. Idiots like me eh? I think I could take up your profession easier than you could mine. Just a hunch. Journalism is dead for the most part. When news departments stopped being loss leaders, journalism started dying. Its virtually dead now. Youre defending an idea...one that doesnt really exist. Nice try though.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I brought up Kristianne Amanpour...didnt make anything political out of it though. Like I said, theres a thread for that. Idiots like me eh? I think I could take up your profession easier than you could mine. Just a hunch. Journalism is dead for the most part. When news departments stopped being loss leaders, journalism started dying. Its virtually dead now. Youre defending an idea...one that doesnt really exist. Nice try though.

No, I live it every day. You just have no clue. So...please...quit bagging on my profession, because, again...you have no clue.

lex
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
No, I live it every day. You just have no clue. So...please...quit bagging on my profession, because, again...you have no clue.
Im sorry if it hurts your feelings. And I dont really need to know how the sausage is made to know its bad sausage.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Im sorry if it hurts your feelings. And I dont really need to know how the sausage is made to know its bad sausage.

No...you've proven over and over again that you don't even know how it's made,

lex
04-24-2008, 12:13 AM
No...you've proven over and over again that you don't even know how it's made,

Thats what I just said. I dont know every step in the process but Im familiar with the finished product...if you want to call it that.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Thats what I just said. I dont know every step in the process but Im familiar with the finished product...if you want to call it that.

You are clueless. It's laughable actually.

I'm not even going to try and explain, because you won't even listen, because you're so jaded by your beliefs.

Oh, btw, there are thousands upon thousands of journalists who are "toy" journalists. So you can basically **** off.

Your profession is a joke, btw..don't even know what it is, but I'm sure you're useless.

lex
04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
You are clueless. It's laughable actually.

I'm not even going to try and explain, because you won't even listen, because you're so jaded by your beliefs.

Oh, btw, there are thousands upon thousands of journalists who are "toy" journalists. So you can basically **** off.

Your profession is a joke, btw..don't even know what it is, but I'm sure you're useless.

Im an accountant. And like I said, Im sorry I hurt your feelings.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Im an accountant.

Good...you're useless. People can do their own accounting.

lex
04-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Good...you're useless. People can do their own accounting.

LOL

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
LOL

You're an idiot because you didn't give so and so a good tax return.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

lex
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
You're an idiot because you didn't give so and so a good tax return.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

If you say so. Im actually enjoying this. Keep going.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
If you say so. Im actually enjoying this. Keep going.

So, you don't see how ridiculous it is that you hold a grudge against Peter King?

Gotcha...

lex
04-24-2008, 12:35 AM
So, you don't see how ridiculous it is that you hold a grudge against Peter King?

Gotcha...

Peter Kings not even a journalist per se. He's a journalist the same way someone who is in marketing can call themself finance or accounting. Both work in the toy department. And, moreover, people in more substantive news cant really call themselves journalists. Market forces have robbed it of its integrity for the most part. I realize you see it as a discipline and you may think it is but Im most concerned with what I see as a finished product compared to what I used to see. Like I said, your profession has been overrun by market forces.

Watchthemiddle
04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
An accountant criticizing a journalist.....:laugh:

Math vs. actually doing work....:laugh:

Not saying I agree with P. King, but I am not going to knock his progession...

lex
04-24-2008, 12:51 AM
An accountant criticizing a journalist.....:laugh:

Math vs. actually doing work....:laugh:

Not saying I agree with P. King, but I am not going to knock his progession...

What makes you so sure he's a journalist? ;)

Watchthemiddle
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
What makes you so sure he's a journalist? ;)

Who to say he isn't? Who is to say you are an accountant? Maybe i am a MLB for the Broncos.....who is anyone to say otherwise??

Just because you or I might not agree with his opinion, doesn't mean his "title" is wrong.

lex
04-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Who to say he isn't? Who is to say you are an accountant? Maybe i am a MLB for the Broncos.....who is anyone to say otherwise??

Just because you or I might not agree with his opinion, doesn't mean his "title" is wrong.

I wasnt talking about lying on the internet. I was talking more about journalism being a thing of the past. Im perfectly willing to concede that he has a degree in journalism.

Watchthemiddle
04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I wasnt talking about lying on the internet. I was talking more about journalism being a thing of the past. Im perfectly willing to concede that he has a degree in journalism.

Interesting.............

Why is journalism a thing of the past?

atwater27
04-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I will have to put a fork through my eye if I have to read anymore of this.

Rex
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Lex, how about this? When you get paid for your opinion on football like Peter King does, you can rip him apart.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Lex, can you post your 7 round mock including trades? GM's around the league are influenced by you.

lex
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I will have to put a fork through my eye if I have to read anymore of this.

Ill do it for you.

lex
04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Lex, how about this? When you get paid for your opinion on football like Peter King does, you can rip him apart.

Why do I need to be in the media to rip him apart? Thats dumb.

Mike
04-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Knock the personal crap off, guys.

lex
04-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Interesting.............

Why is journalism a thing of the past?

News departments used to operate more as loss leaders but now theyre more like profit centers. And as a result theyve delved into more shoddy "journalism" and have become more apt to not check sources and to focus on that which is more sensational. One of the big events that I remember where you could really see the wheels turning in this direction was when Star Magazine scooped all the other news outlets on the Jennifer Flowers story because the networks were too stringent on checking sources and things of that nature. It seems like since then, its become pretty much the rule that anyone who reports anything is given acknowledgment. But these, to a large extent are decisions made from a top level. I also think theres a greater tolerance for biased reporting.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Lex, can you post your 7 round mock including trades? GM's around the league are influenced by you.

Im not out there claiming to be a draft guru. Im not on Sirius fielding draft questions. Why do you fail to make this distinction?

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Im not out there claiming to be a draft guru. Im not on Sirius fielding draft questions. Why do you fail to make this distinction?

So if Siruis called, and said, "Lex, we saw your 7 round super dooper mock, and you seem pompous and full of yourself. We will pay you to give opinions on the draft."

You would say, "No, I am not qualified. But I can help with your taxes".

Riiiiight.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:10 AM

That's an interesting point.

Peter King is on Sirius Radio because he's been covering the NFL for 27 years. He's got every GM and Owner on speed dial...if ANYONE is qualified to talk about the Draft and Team Needs during the draft and offseason, I'm going to say its him. In the article posted he even made fun of the Mock Draft process...

lex
04-24-2008, 09:11 AM
So if Siruis called, and said, "Lex, we saw your 7 round super dooper mock, and you seem pompous and full of yourself. We will pay you to give opinions on the draft."

You would say, "No, I am not qualified. But I can help with your taxes".

Riiiiight.
No, I would not offer to do their taxes. And no, Id prefer not to go on air and do what Peter King did. I feel my familiarity is from watching the players whereas, I think his familiarity is compiling various opinions and passing them off as his own. But even then, I know that there are people who devote more time to this stuff than I have or even could.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
That's an interesting point.

Peter King is on Sirius Radio because he's been covering the NFL for 27 years. He's got every GM and Owner on speed dial...if ANYONE is qualified to talk about the Draft and Team Needs during the draft and offseason, I'm going to say its him. In the article posted he even made fun of the Mock Draft process...

Here is my original post. Notice how I wasnt calling out his mock draft as much as I was having him on air.

I saw that he has recently done a mock draft. Thats fine. Whatever. But now he's on Sirius answering questions regarding the draft and Im listening to this and thinking, "whats this fraud doing on the air talking about this"? Suddenly this jerk thinks he's Mike Mayock? All this guy does is annexes the thoughts of others and passes it on. What kind of analysis is that? Anyone can do what he does. Why is Peter King relevant anyway? I really dont see what he brings to the table that makes him so prominent in NFL coverage. Yikes!

And your point about having guys on speed dial is diminished by the fact that you have to take all information at arms length in the days/weeks leading up to the draft. Even if a GM is telling the truth theres too much of a reason for him not to tell the truth to not treat it with an extremely high degree of skepticism...and for this reason the point you raise along thes lines is a red herring.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
But people still want information...and Peter King is the guy that talks to all the GMs, erroneous information or not?

Tell me...who would you have rather heard on that radio station?

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I seriously do not understand your problem with having an NFL beat reporter on the radio right now?

lex
04-24-2008, 09:24 AM
But people still want information...and Peter King is the guy that talks to all the GMs, erroneous information or not?

Tell me...who would you have rather heard on that radio station?

An ex-GM. A lot of what he said was stuff that has been said by others but others who are more familiar with players.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know why Peter King is always ripped on. I enjoy his MMQB - read it every Monday. He provides good insight, and like MB said, he has great connections. Nearly everything he writes about eventually comes true.

Rex
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
An ex-GM. A lot of what he said was stuff that has been said by others but others who are more familiar with players.

Wow. Regurgitating other people's information. That sounds familiar too.

Mike
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
The real question that I have...is why is Mel Kiper pretending to be a draft guru? :confused:

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM

His job is to relay information, he's doing that...I still don't see the problem here.

So you take more stock in what the former Titans GM says on ESPN says rather than Peter King...even though its more likely Peter King is talking to the current GMs and the former GM is not?

BroncoJoe
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
The real question that I have...is why is Mel Kiper pretending to be a draft guru? :confused:

I'll take Peter King over Kiper any day.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Agree with him or not, you can at least say he has put in a significant amount of time watching players...or at least did at one point.

BeefStew25
04-24-2008, 09:28 AM

He used to be an accountant.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Agree with him or not, you can at least say he has put in a significant amount of time watching players...or at least did at one point.

And it doesn't really matter what the players look like on their game film, what matters to King's listeners and readers is who is selecting who. That's why he was on the radio. He's an NFL beat reporter, if you have such a problem with beat reporters, I suggest you turn the radio off and never buy a newspaper.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
His job is to relay information, he's doing that...I still don't see the problem here.

So you take more stock in what the former Titans GM says on ESPN says rather than Peter King...even though its more likely Peter King is talking to the current GMs and the former GM is not?

No. Floyd Reece is a jerk with an axe to grind. I dont really watch him in particular but also, he's on E!SPN and I just find it hard to tolerate their NFL coverage. Ill listen to McShay and Kiper go at it from time to time but I dont make a point of it.

Rex
04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Mel Kiper has watched more film on college football players in the last 2 months than any internet message board draft guru has in the last 5 years.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
No. Floyd Reece is a jerk with an axe to grind. I dont really watch him in particular but also, he's on E!SPN and I just find it hard to tolerate their NFL coverage. Ill listen to McShay and Kiper go at it from time to time but I dont make a point of it.

Well, then, which GM do you suggest?

lex
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, then, which GM do you suggest?

Name one. Its not like I didnt give Reece a shot but when he was on air and demonstrated a bias, I realized he wasnt for me.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Name one. Its not like I didnt give Reece a shot but when he was on air and demonstrated a bias, I realized he wasnt for me.

Why can't you name one? I thought you had someone in mind. Apparently you didn't.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
He used to be an accountant.

Whats your profession?

lex
04-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Why can't you name one? I thought you had someone in mind. Apparently you didn't.

Even though I know he's full of BS, Id be curious to see what Sundquist had to say. He might as well talk to the world without using Burger Bill as a conduit.

CoachChaz
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
It's simple...if one of these guys makes a mock that has a fan happy with who they have projected for that team...the fan is happy and loves Kiper/McShay/King. I f the fan does not like the mock...they are considered an idiot.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
And it doesn't really matter what the players look like on their game film, what matters to King's listeners and readers is who is selecting who. That's why he was on the radio. He's an NFL beat reporter, if you have such a problem with beat reporters, I suggest you turn the radio off and never buy a newspaper.

This isnt his show. He was a guest.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Even though I know he's full of BS, Id be curious to see what Sundquist had to say. He might as well talk to the world without using Burger Bill as a conduit.

Yet he probably hasn't spoken with a single GM other than the Broncos organization...

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
This isnt his show. He was a guest.

And he's a guest because he is a beat reporter...

What part of this do you not understand?

I'm done. You should quit listening to the radio.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:44 AM
It's simple...if one of these guys makes a mock that has a fan happy with who they have projected for that team...the fan is happy and loves Kiper/McShay/King. I f the fan does not like the mock...they are considered an idiot.

No, I dont like someone annexing the opinions of others on prospects and passing them off as his own. And Im quite certain most of what he was saying came from draftniks and not GMs. I dont really think the GMs have the time to discuss 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round guys with him.

lex
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
And he's a guest because he is a beat reporter...

What part of this do you not understand?

I'm done. You should quit listening to the radio.

Or maybe you should pay for your subscription to Sirius since you like him so much. Plus, youd actually be able to comment on what he said having actually heard it. Im not interested in his garbage however.

BTW, recently Ive posted summaries of interviews done by DJ Williams and Jon Stewart. Shall I not pass those on? People actually appreciated hearing what Stewart had to say. I was able to pass that on by listening to the radio. I know youre more into blindly defending Peter King but I just thought Id point that out.

MOtorboat
04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
No, I dont like someone annexing the opinions of others on prospects and passing them off as his own. And Im quite certain most of what he was saying came from draftniks and not GMs. I dont really think the GMs have the time to discuss 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round guys with him.

They've got time to do press conferences just about every day...I'd imagine they'd have a few moments for an NFL beat reporter from Sports Illustrated.

WARHORSE
04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Define journalism...because sports journalism is a profession...

Time to bag on journalists more...

Definition of journalism:

Jo....u.....r........n-al......ism.