PDA

View Full Version : Diner morning news: A good deal for both teams

JONtheBRONCO
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
QUOTE: “You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.” -- Robert Frost

Marshall traded to Miami

The Dolphins have been very quiet this offseason, but that ended this morning when they officially acquired Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall for what is believed to be two second-round picks, one this year and one next year. I love the deal for both teams, especially for the Broncos, who never were going to sign Marshall to a long-term deal after this season. They cashed out one year early and received a nice payout. I love the deal for Miami, which desperately needs a playmaker on the outside whom opponents fear.

Brandon Marshall found a new home, landing in Miami in exchange for what is believed to be two second-round picks.
This move makes sense for both, and now we know why Miami is trying to move down in the first round, which I reported Sunday -- to recoup the picks it sent for Marshall.

Denver without Marshall

With the departure of Marshall, Josh McDaniels will be looking for some new playmakers in Denver.

So where does this leave the Broncos? From my perspective, in a very good place because this deal’s key component was the fact they were never going to sign Marshall to an extension.

This was an organizational decision, not a “he couldn’t play for coach Josh McDaniels” decision.

The Broncos’ past and present regime did not trust Marshall enough to place significant dollars on the table — they have been burned too many times in the past thinking a player would change. That lack of trust in Marshall stems from his history of behavior his entire life and most specifically in his time in Denver.

Marshall needed a new team, a new city and, most important, a change of social environment. Once the Broncos decided an extension was too risky, they needed to cash out. With additional second round picks the next two years, which are like gold assets in building a team, they’ll be able to find the right players to help them build the kind of team they want.

There will be no Diner tomorrow since I’m heading to Denver to visit with McDaniels for a one-on-one interview for NFL Network. After our talk, I’ll have more insight into the Broncos’ thinking on this trade and what they can expect from the draft.

Per Michael Lombardi - nationalfootballpost.com

Lonestar
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
This is and always has been the keys to this.

The Broncos’ past and present regime did not trust Marshall enough to place significant dollars on the table — they have been burned too many times in the past thinking a player would change. That lack of trust in Marshall stems from his history of behavior his entire life and most specifically in his time in Denver.

Marshall needed a new team, a new city and, most important, a change of social environment. Once the Broncos decided an extension was too risky, they needed to cash out.

Pat was burned 5 or 6 times (might be more than this) on FA brought into town that were duds and did nothing but eat cap space as dead contracts.

I simply believe that he (contrary to published comments) want no more character issues to waste money on.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Thank you, Jon. That lends some sense to the situation . . .

-----

Traveler
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Can't wait for all the unexpected moves Denver will make on draft day.

Keep the dynasty rebuild moving forward coach! :salute: