PDA

View Full Version : Matt McGuire's Denver Broncos Draft Analysis

LRtagger
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see this posted. It is mainly a rehash of what everyone here has been discussing for the past couple of months...seems to be old since he mentions DJ in the middle, ect but I figured it was worth posting

The Chargers look like they have control of the AFC West, but not if Mike Shanhan has anything to say about it. He is fearless and aggressive in the draft, and very confident in his scouting department. The Broncos are a true wild card in the top half of the first round, so let's get right to their draft range at No. 12:

Ryan Clady/Chris Williams: I think there is something to be said for spending a mid-round pick on Ryan Harris. He has a good attitude (as evidenced to his appearance on MTV's True Life) and I think he fits the zone-blocking scheme very well at left tackle. Can he develop there? I think so. Shanhan could go with a pure left tackle here, but it wouldn't be addressing a need in my opinion.

Keith Rivers: Likely not to be on the board when nearly every team picking from 7-10 needs a linebacker, but the Broncos sure wouldn't mind his athletic ability and leadership on their defense to compensate for the loss outside when they moved D.J. Williams to middle linebacker.

DeSean Jackson/Devin Thomas: Brandon Marshall's recent freak injury certainly complicates things at receiver, and I think if Denver was to go receiver that they would go with a deep threat. Both these players are exactly that, and they certainly aren't perfect prospects. I consider them to be in the No. 12 pick range.

Brandon Albert: He is the prototypical ZBS lineman. He can play four positions on the offensive line, and has elite athletic ability for a guard/tackle in this scheme, yet he is extremely powerful and can only get stronger. His versatility, upside, and scheme fit make him one of the front runners at No. 12.

Rashard Mendenhall: Mendenhall is a one-cut-and-go type back with great vision, thus being a perfect fit (like Albert) in the ZBS. He can see lanes and accelerate on a dime. He is simply on a different level than Selvin Young and Travis Henry.

Summary: Albert and Mendenhall are the favorites at No. 12, but because of a semi-wide draft range here for the Broncos, I feel like there are a few potential shocker picks.

The Broncos' next selection is at No. 42 in the second round. There are certainly a number of directions they can go in with this pick, if they choose not to trade it (as high second-round picks are very shoppable).

If they want to look at weakside linebacker this is certainly a great place to consider it. Erin Henderson, Xavier Adibi, Wesley Woodyard, and Tavares Gooden are in their range here.

They could look at a zone-blocking lineman here as well if they pass up on Albert. Jeremy Zuttah and Sam Baker would be excellent fits in this offense providing more power and talent at guard. Baker can play tackle as well in the ZBS.

If they pass on Mendenhall, they could look for a running back later in the draft. Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, and Felix Jones are options in the second or third rounds. Allen Patrick, Rafael Little, Yvenson Bernard, and Justin Forsett could be in the 6-7 round range.

They could look at defensive tackle in the middle of the draft as well. Dre Moore, Red Bryant, Pat Sims, and Trevor Laws would all be solid options in the second round. I think if they were to spend a less costly pick on the position, DeMario Pressley, Letroy Guion, Andre Fluellen, and Marcus Harrison are options in Rounds 3-5.

The emphasis here is to stop the run, and run the football in this draft for the Broncos, which is the very basis of winning football games.

http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftden.php

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
What do you do if both Williams and Stewart are available?

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 09:06 PM

That would be a great problem to have.

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
That would be a great problem to have.

It would in deed, but still how do you make the decision of which one to take?

Buff
04-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Williams! Not only is it the safer pick, he's a high character smart guy (not saying Stewart isn't) who is strong enough and quick enough to play right now. Plus he's already comfortable at the LT position-- which is more than we can say for Kuper, who Shanahan said would get the first crack as it stands.

Why take a chance on the #12 pick with a position that has a short shelf life and a guy who has a few injury question marks surrounding him? Even if he has success, chances are he'll be let go to free agency in 5-6 years because it's hard to justify that kind of $$ with a veteran RB. A veteran tackle has much more value...

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Williams! Not only is it the safer pick, he's a high character smart guy (not saying Stewart isn't) who is strong enough and quick enough to play right now. Plus he's already comfortable at the LT position-- which is more than we can say for Kuper, who Shanahan said would get the first crack as it stands.

Why take a chance on the #12 pick with a position that has a short shelf life and a guy who has a few injury question marks surrounding him? Even if he has success, chances are he'll be let go to free agency in 5-6 years because it's hard to justify that kind of $$ with a veteran RB. A veteran tackle has much more value...

But as far as I know Williams hasn't played in a zone blocking scheme so I don't think he would start immediately. That being said, if Denver is stuck with this quandary I would be in agreement with you that we should take Williams over Stewart.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
It would in deed, but still how do you make the decision of which one to take?

I would go Stewart because I like too many offensive linemen from the 2nd round on. I don't like too many backs in the later rounds and I also feel good enough about my team as far as winning in the near future to feel that I won't have this high of a pick or this great of an opportunity to draft an elite running back. I also understand that both positions are ones that Denver usually has success with in later rounds so with this said the fact I like many more offensive linemen makes my choice easier.

As for Denver, the coaching staff needs to decide what is the biggest need. I would have to imagine that both players are pretty high on their draft board. What would seperate the players from one another is need. Coaches will have to decide how much they like Ryan Harris, Chris Kuper, and Erik Pears as a left tackle prospect. They will also have to look at Henry's age and injury history, Selvin Young's off-season surgery and injury history and decide if that position is at a weaker state.

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:02 PM

And he wants to live in Cutler's basement...:cool:

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I was on ESPN today talking with the Sports Nation about Denver today if anyone was listening. I was talking to them about Denver should draft a runningback. Orestes Destrade and John Seibel agreed with me and said that it would not only help Cutler big time but it would make the Broncos a very interesting team to watch. If you are an insider you might be able to listen to it again on the ESPN website.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Does anyone listen to ESPN radio?

Skinny
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
In the mornings. Mike & Mike .... Colin Cowherd .... Mike Tirico.
Then it goes to the local sport station.

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I was on ESPN today talking with the Sports Nation about Denver today if anyone was listening. I was talking to them about Denver should draft a runningback. Orestes Destrade and John Seibel agreed with me and said that it would not only help Cutler big time but it would make the Broncos a very interesting team to watch. If you are an insider you might be able to listen to it again on the ESPN website.

That was you? Because yes I didn't listen to Sports Nation on my way home from work today and I remember a caller saying we need to draft a running back.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
That was you? Because yes I didn't listen to Sports Nation on my way home from work today and I remember a caller saying we need to draft a running back.

:D That was me

Buff
04-22-2008, 10:46 PM

Listening to it right now... "Brandon in PA"

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=sportsnation#

Comes in at 6:45

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Does anyone listen to ESPN radio?

I have XM radio that's how was able listen to the program.

Scarface
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM

That's when we find out how confident Shanny is in Harris/Kuper/Pears. That is the question I've been dying to hear answered.

LRtagger
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
i would ultimately be happy with Stewart/Mendenhall/Albert/Williams

turftoad
04-23-2008, 10:34 AM
That's when we find out how confident Shanny is in Harris/Kuper/Pears. That is the question I've been dying to hear answered.

Very true Scar................. very true.