PDA

View Full Version : Did The Broncos Get Good Value for Marshall

Ziggy
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Easy poll. Two 2nd round picks for Marshall. Regardless of who is drafted in those spots, was the draft pick compensation good value or not?

#1dolphinfan
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
They got the best deal they were going to get

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
For someone that doesnt over value Marshall's skill based on inflated numbers...yes...I think they got great value for him.

T.K.O.
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
considering he said and showed on several occasions he wanted out of denver,i would say yes.
we can use the picks to build the team around the new concept being used in denver.
i like having draft "ammo":salute:

Edmonton Bronco Fan
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM
No.

Just brutal and reading the headlines this morning quite literally made me sick to my stomach.

I can't believe this.

Good luck to Brandon Marshall. Going to miss him.

Lonestar
considering his FUBAR factor absolutely..

TXBRONC
I wish you would have put in maybe as part of your poll because I thinks way to hard to tell right now.

MileHighCrew
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I think the best value was to keep him -NO

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
For someone that doesnt over value Marshall's skill based on inflated numbers...yes...I think they got great value for him.

You under value his skills.

ikillz0mbies
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
The Broncos were pretty adamant to move him and teams around the league knew that. So yes, I think they got the best deal they could get considering they didn't get robbed by another team like in the Holmes-to-Jets trade.

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
If the preliminary reports of a second 2nd rounder in 2011 are true then I say yes.

Honestly, whether you agree with trading the player in question, I don't think I've seen this current front office make one trade, either for or away, that I thought had bad value for the Broncos.

UnderArmour
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, it was good value. I figured we'd trade with Miami, but we'd end up with a package like Tedd Gin Jr, a 2/3rd, Smiley, and maybe a 3rd next year. But, 2 2nds is never a bad trade.

claymore
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
If we get the 2nd #2 then yes we got great value. Hopefully McD doesnt screw the picks up with his FUBAR factor.

Timmy!
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Two 2nd's is basically a 1st in terms of value. Considering what the Steelers just got for a superbowl MVP receiver, I'll take it.

Will a rich Marshall stay out of trouble in Miami? Good luck with that Dolphins.

Timmy!
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
If we get the 2nd #2 then yes we got great value. Hopefully McD doesnt screw the picks up with his FUBAR factor.

This is what I'm worried about.

Hopefully we draft well this year.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
You under value his skills.

Maybe...but that's safer than OVER-valuing his skills.

Northman
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Yea, i believe so.

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Maybe...but that's safer than OVER-valuing his skills.

I think both are not safe.

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
absolutely...many pundits predicted a mid 2nd rd pick and a conditional later pick.......and even worse than that

we essentially got the value of a mid(20-late(32) first rd pick.....

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
i will say MCD knows how to get value from pro bowl players, now whether the trade helps or hinders us, remains to be seen, but the value is very good right now....

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
i will say MCD knows how to get value from pro bowl players, now whether the trade helps or hinders us, remains to be seen, but the value is very good right now....

I agree. Personally I attribute more of the credit to Xanders then McD, but both deserve a share of it.

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
With the CBA and what else was going on this year for other 'top' talent WRs...I think what Denver got was fantastic.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
No. There's nobody in this draft who will help us as much this year as Marshall could've. Name an offensive player that you have the confidence can come in and start as a rookie and make the kind of impact Marshall did.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. Short of trading Marshall for a proven player and draft picks, we lost out. Marshall is worth a first round pick. We (once again) got impatient and traded Marshall to the first guy who came along.

We probably could've gotten a 1st for him on draft day when one of the top WRs was already off the board that someone else wanted. We are worse impulse buyers than a bunch of women at a shoe sale. I'm glad McDaniels and Zanders don't handle my finances, I'd be bankrupt.

Buff
04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
If you evaluate the trade in a vacuum, I'd say it's just about a wash. Miami is getting a very productive player without giving up a 1st rounder, we are getting two picks that have great "salary:production" value historically.

If you look at the entire historical context and the fact that everyone knew Marshall wasn't going to play in Denver this season--then I think we got outstanding value.

Buff
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
No. There's nobody in this draft who will help us as much this year as Marshall could've. Name an offensive player that you have the confidence can come in and start as a rookie and make the kind of impact Marshall did.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. Short of trading Marshall for a proven player and draft picks, we lost out. Marshall is worth a first round pick. We (once again) got impatient and traded Marshall to the first guy who came along.

We probably could've gotten a 1st for him on draft day when one of the top WRs was already off the board that someone else wanted. We are worse impulse buyers than a bunch of women at a shoe sale. I'm glad McDaniels and Zanders don't handle my finances, I'd be bankrupt.

Using the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart... Our two second rounders = the #20 overall pick. So, we essentially got 1st round value but spread out over two years. I know that probably doesn't change your opinion, but I really think this was the best deal out there... I don't think waiting til next week was going to change anything.

T.K.O.
04-14-2010, 12:59 PM
for the first time i'm really starting to regret trading up for smith.i am not one of those who have already labeled phonz a bust.....but,man it would have been a fun draft if we had #11,#14,#43 and #45.
we could have ruled the draft and really shored up the lines for years to come.
but all in all i think we're in good shape and seem to be building for the future.
which is rare in the "win now or else" nfl market.
we could be seeing the makings of a return to glory for the broncos !

HORSEPOWER 56
04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Using the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart... Our two second rounders = the #20 overall pick. So, we essentially got 1st round value but spread out over two years. I know that probably doesn't change your opinion, but I really think this was the best deal out there... I don't think waiting til next week was going to change anything.

Sure, if both second rounders were for THIS DRAFT. This "potential" 2nd round pick could end up as the 64th pick in the second round next year, NTM, the value in this draft is high, next year may not be so much. Not that it matters anyway, I fully expect McDaniels and Zanders to screw the pooch in this draft, too.

silkamilkamonico
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
If we get the 2nd #2 then yes we got great value.

If there is a lockout next year, is there no NFL draft, meaning, we lose that pick?

Buff
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
If there is a lockout next year, is there no NFL draft, meaning, we lose that pick?

The draft is happening regardless of a lockout. The NFL has made that clear.

silkamilkamonico
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Sure, if both second rounders were for THIS DRAFT. This "potential" 2nd round pick could end up as the 64th pick in the second round next year, NTM, the value in this draft is high, next year may not be so much. Not that it matters anyway, I fully expect McDaniels and Zanders to screw the pooch in this draft, too.

I don't think Miami is going to be a playoff team next year. I know everything is based on assumption and whatnot, but at this point they are the third best team in their own division.

broncophan
04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
The fact that Marshall is no longer a bronco.....is a value in itself.........
2 second round draft picks is icing on the cake........

dogfish
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
i wouldn't call it great value for a player of his age, production and ability, but in this particular circumstance we probably did as well as could be expected. . .

G_Money
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Based on Marshall's talent, we didn't get as much as he was worth.

Based on his risk, we probably got more than we should have.

Based on Belichick's love of 2nd rounders and McDaniels' already proven desire to swap 1st round picks for 2nd rounders, we probably got exactly what our coach wanted - two top-tier picks without the expense of the first round.

I'll take it. I just hope we don't draft any more gd blocking TEs with those picks.

~G

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
FROM WALTERFOOTBALL......

KEEP IN MIND HE HATES MCD AND THE BRONCOS....

Dolphins acquire WR Brandon Marshall from Broncos for 2010 2nd-rounder and 2011 2nd-rounder
The Dolphins needed a No. 1 receiver for Chad Henne, so if you're a Miami fan you have to love this trade. Brandon Marshall is a big risk because he'll be suspended for a long time if he screws up again, but Bill Parcells knows how to handle diva wideouts; he's worked with Terrell Owens, Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn before.

The bottom line for Miami is that it obtained one of the top wideouts in the NFL for two second-round picks. That's a great deal.

As for the Broncos, this may seem like a loss because they were initially hoping to obtain a first-round selection for Marshall. But there was growing speculation that they would have to settle for a second-rounder on Draft Day. Getting two Round 2 picks is a good deal - especially in two deep drafts.

You can't argue this trade for either team; both sides got what they wanted. This may look different down the road if Marshall gets suspended, or if both of Denver's second-round choices turn out to be busts, but right now it's an even deal.

My 2010 NFL Mock Draft will be updated by tomorrow morning to incorporate this deal. It'll also include Round 6.

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Depends on what you call "value." Do I think the 2nd round pick will give us a player that will produces at their position as well as Marshall has proved? Nope. Do I think we'll get a WR that will be as good as Marshall in the draft.... nope.

Did it save us money? yes. There, I guess there is the value.

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Depends on what you call "value." Do I think the 2nd round pick will give us a player that will produces at their position as well as Marshall has proved? Nope. Do I think we'll get a WR that will be as good as Marshall in the draft.... nope.

meh i think were just gonna have to see if MCD and xanders are as good a drafters this year as they feel there gonna be...

silkamilkamonico
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Why are you extending it to this? DId you not say before this, "Denver will NOT get a pair of second round picks"?

C'mon Rav....;)

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Once again, we won't really know who 'won' in this deal (perhaps it will end up being both organiztions even in the long run) for a while...

...and BM wanted out of Denver, and Denver (probably) wanted rid of BM - so in that sense, both parties probably won...not to mention BMs big $$$ contract and Denvers two second round picks in a year when it seems you couldn't get anything for talented WRs.

...so patience, my brothers, and lets see what happens over the next few seasons.

Slick
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Easy poll. Two 2nd round picks for Marshall. Regardless of who is drafted in those spots, was the draft pick compensation good value or not?

I can't honestly answer this question because in my mind, it's always going to be abut WHO we got with those picks, not what the picks themselves are worth.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
no :hurt:

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Well...we got Marshall's inflated stats for a 4th round pick. I guess it's feasible to imagine it could happen again.

Lonestar
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Value is not having to worry all off season if the diva is going to grace OTA's and TC.

NOt having to worry about him being arrested again for bitch slapping his wife.

not having to worry about if he is going decide if it is to cold to practice.

Not having to worry about hip issues or hamstrings being to tight.

We got a lot more value than I thought we would after all the latest trades that have happened.

We got more than any of them.

Yes we got value.

Overtime
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
shoulda been a 1st and a 2nd. not a pair of 2nd's. stupid. wth hell are they thinking?

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I guess it reamins to be seen. Considering Mcd and Xanders drafted Smith and Quinn in the second round last year, no. But if they do a better job this draft and next draft maybe so.

Lonestar
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
shoulda been a 1st and a 2nd. not a pair of 2nd's. stupid. wth hell are they thinking?

And what did the Eagles get for a PRO Bowl QB?

same for CLE for their trades.

Someone else got squat for their player either.

You can want in one hand and wish in the other see which one fills up first.

I'll take the 2's and laugh all the way to MSG.

dogfish
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM

i think an argument can easily be made that two seconds is BETTER than a first, specifically in our present situation. . . in an ideal scenario it would be best to have both of them this year, but you have to trade with the available suitors in the real world, and they can only trade you the picks they have. . .

with miami's #12, we would have been in the same situation we'll likely be in at #11-- trying to figure out how to get value. . . which with our needs, should be much easier in the 2nd round. . . we need interior linemen badly, and it's much better to have a selection of solid options available considerably cheaper in the 2nd than to reach our arms off for someone like pouncey at 11 or 12. . . .

i'd SO much rather have JD walton, roger saffold, vlad ducasse, terrence cody, koa misi, lamarr houston, cam thomas or linval joseph at a considerably lower salary-- AND another valuable 2nd round pick next year-- than pay top twelve money for rolando mcclain or earl thomas. . .

edit: oops, just saw that you think we should have gotten a 1st AND a 2nd. . .

i think we should have gotten adrian peterson and jared allen, but unfortunately we didn't. . .

e-Lou-sive1
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
So far Marshall got the better deal getting the money he wanted and proving that If you are good enough and complain eventually you will be rewarded. Mc Daniels trying to teach Marshall a lesson by placing him in his doghouse and refusing to play him later dropped Denver's chances of getting a better value.

Denver will no longer have the distractions because of Marshall unless other unsigned RFA's decide to create a little of their own problems.Will they get what they want or will they opt out looking for a better offer?

The Dolphins became a contender with this trade If that shows the impact of Marshall's abilities . Denver's just became another mediocre team who needs a receiver with Marshall's abilities.Dez Bryant seems to be the candidate but will the Broncos give him a lucrative deal as well and will he come in with the excess baggage?

OrangeHoof
04-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I voted yes, although, by comparison, the Jets just pulled off the crime of the century.

frauschieze
04-14-2010, 06:31 PM
i wouldn't call it great value for a player of his age, production and ability, but in this particular circumstance we probably did as well as could be expected. . .

This.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
In terms of pure talent? No.

But in terms of what it will do in the future for the team, perhaps.

We'll see . . .

But I notice our Dolphins fan voted yes. :laugh:

-----

nevcraw
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Im not sure you could say the ROI is even remotely comparable.

nothing like training a guy for someone else's benefit. well done!!!!!!!!!

Superchop 7
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Not bad, the 2nd round has some gems.

rcsodak
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM

In a word?

Hell yes!

Add the two picks and you get a 1st rounder.

He brought more value than:

Holmes
Boldin
AND
McNabb

Only an idiot would say denver got screwed.

Hellsbells, how many people were saying denver would be lucky to get 1-2nd rounder....

....or a 3rd/4th....

....or a 3rd and a 'player'....

Miam was almost bottom of the bowl last year, in passing/td's. They were going to have to address the position early in the draft. Now, they can wait, and address other areas.
Smart by Miami.
*as for the money, well, we'll see, won't we*

Denver had a malcontent that has said publicly he didn't want to stay
(in between times he said he did)
He'd been in/out of trouble both on/off the field since his college days
(NOT just since McD)
In a draft as deep as this one, where MULTIPLE NFL heads have said the 2nd round will be as good as the first, this was a coup. They COULD combine 43/45(that right?) and move back into the 1st if they see someone. That could land them #18-20. Throw in next year's 2nd, and they're already ahead of the game.
SmartER by Denver.

PS. As an after thought, McD could surprise the world, and trade #43/80(that right?) to Shanny, who is hurting for picks, and grab Bradford if St Losers have another Epic Fail of a draft. Eh....just a thought.