PDA

View Full Version : What side of the ball with the Broncos go with their first pick?

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Do you think Denver will go Offense or Denfense in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft?

turftoad
04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
If we move up I say "D". If we stay put I say "O". If we move down it could go either way.

MOtorboat
04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Offense, but it better be O-line.

LRtagger
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I think its a no brainer we go offense unless we trade up. The only first-round defensive need we have is at DT and Ellis and Dorsey are both gone by 12...plus I think the Robertson deal will finalize this weekend.

Every other DT is a reach at 12. OL and RB are our best options at that slot if we do not trade out of it.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
(a) Draft Mendenhall

or

(b) Move down into the 20's, draft Cherilius, and add two MLB/S/CB/WR in round 2.

turftoad
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I think its a no brainer we go offense unless we trade up. The only first-round defensive need we have is at DT and Ellis and Dorsey are both gone by 12...plus I think the Robertson deal will finalize this weekend.

Every other DT is a reach at 12. OL and RB are our best options at that slot if we do not trade out of it.

I agree with all of this except OT is the best value at #12.

jetrazor74
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, the poll said what will they draft. Although I feel that OT is our greatest need at the moment, and the best value to take at 12, I'm betting Shanny picks up a D player.

Then again, who knows? It's Shanahan. He may draft a TE for all I know!!! :pound:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Besides landing three receivers this option, Denver spent a majority of their time getting linebackers and safeties to come in and help their defense win now. Also, we kept Ekuban and Engleberger as insurance to the youth we have on our defensive line. It seems that the only way Denver really goes defense in the first round would be a trade up for a guy like Ellis at defensive tackle; otherwise I think we'll see our draft focused more on the offensive side of the ball, with the special teams additions in the late rounds.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Besides landing three receivers this option, Denver spent a majority of their time getting linebackers and safeties to come in and help their defense win now. Also, we kept Ekuban and Engleberger as insurance to the youth we have on our defensive line. It seems that the only way Denver really goes defense in the first round would be a trade up for a guy like Ellis at defensive tackle; otherwise I think we'll see our draft focused more on the offensive side of the ball, with the special teams additions in the late rounds.

Dream.... You state that you believe that Denver spent a majority of their time getting defensive players to come in and help their defense win now. Would this also lead you to believe that the guy we draft with the 12th overall pick would also be a player to contribute immediately?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Dream.... You state that you believe that Denver spent a majority of their time getting defensive players to come in and help their defense win now. Would this also lead you to believe that the guy we draft with the 12th overall pick would also be a player to contribute immediately?

Well, the draft usually is based on players for the future (as you're well aware of) but it should be expected that the early selections a team makes (in our case #12 and #42) will be able to make some sort of impact this year to get the whole value's worth out of them. That's the only reason I see us not taking an OT; because it's likely that one won't start this year -- but then again, I look at Pears and Harris and say "How can't a Christopher Williams beat out one of these guys?"

I'm sure hoping that our #12 pick, even if it's a tackle can come in and produce right away, but that's one of the reasons I'm hoping for Jonathan Stewart. I'm pretty sure the kid would blow the tails off of Henry and Young and would be a solid back from the get go. Maybe it'd take a game or two to get in rhythm, but I see no reason why if he played all sixteen games, he couldn't run for 1,500 yards.

As far as immediate impact goes and long-term impact; I think that running back is the wiser choice; but I still won't be disappointed at all if we go OT.

I'd take a Stewart/[Offensive Tackle Here] or Williams/[Running Back Here] scenario. I'd be hella thrilled for either, preferably the first.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Well, the draft usually is based on players for the future (as you're well aware of) but it should be expected that the early selections a team makes (in our case #12 and #42) will be able to make some sort of impact this year to get the whole value's worth out of them. That's the only reason I see us not taking an OT; because it's likely that one won't start this year -- but then again, I look at Pears and Harris and say "How can't a Christopher Williams beat out one of these guys?"

I'm sure hoping that our #12 pick, even if it's a tackle can come in and produce right away, but that's one of the reasons I'm hoping for Jonathan Stewart. I'm pretty sure the kid would blow the tails off of Henry and Young and would be a solid back from the get go. Maybe it'd take a game or two to get in rhythm, but I see no reason why if he played all sixteen games, he couldn't run for 1,500 yards.

As far as immediate impact goes and long-term impact; I think that running back is the wiser choice; but I still won't be disappointed at all if we go OT.

I'd take a Stewart/[Offensive Tackle Here] or Williams/[Running Back Here] scenario. I'd be hella thrilled for either, preferably the first.

I pretty sure we are thinking along the same lines here... although the OT/[Running Back Here], I wouldn't put that [Running Back Here] intill later in the draft because my main concern at RB is that we need a big back that excels in short yardage situations.

MOtorboat
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Why does everyone assume tackles don't start right away?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM

They've always sat down for a year and learned the nuances of our system. Foster, Harris, etc. Drafted or undrafted; first round or not. It just seems to be a rule of thumb. Learn the system, work on the technique -- then go out and play. That's what I'm basing it off of.

yardog
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM

History of OL players in Denver.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM

We run a complicated offense... our offensive linemen are asked to do a lot.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-22-2008, 12:49 PM
See, and I think Christopher Williams is smart enough to pick it up and has good enough technique already to play right away.

I mean, how hard is it to beat Erik "Daniel Graham holds my hand and my cup" Pears for a starting position? I mean, this isn't rocket science. That guy sucks so bad.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
See, and I think Christopher Williams is smart enough to pick it up and has good enough technique already to play right away.

I mean, how hard is it to beat Erik "Daniel Graham holds my hand and my cup" Pears for a starting position? I mean, this isn't rocket science. That guy sucks so bad.

I can see Denver starting a rookie at G, C, or even RT, but not LT. Not with Cutler as the franchise QB. Our LT situation would have to suck so bad before Denver, a team not known for starting rookies regardless of round, would start at LT. I think the rookie would start at RT then possibly move over to LT the following year if our current LT doesn't show he can get the job done.

But with all this I think we are fine at LT for now, that we are in trouble at RT and we need a couple of players for depth. Center may also be an issue if Hamilton can't slide over there or we don't draft someone in the near future when Tom Nalen retires.

lex
04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

I think a big part of it is that we pick lower round guys...like Pears. I think Foster is an exception because I dont think he was well suited for the system. If they draft a guy with a high grade that has the traits you look for in our system, you could find someone to improve on the likes of Pears immediately...but it just cant be anyone like we saw with Foster. Picking a better talent may still result him needing to wait a year but its far less likely I think.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I think a big part of it is that we pick lower round guys...like Pears. I think Foster is an exception because I dont think he was well suited for the system. If they draft a guy with a high grade that has the traits you look for in our system, you could find someone to improve on the likes of Pears immediately...but it just cant be anyone like we saw with Foster. Picking a better talent may still result him needing to wait a year but its far less likely I think.

1st rounders are 1st rounders mainly do to talent or potential, not smarts. Clady is considered the 2nd best OT in the draft by many and he is dumb as bricks.

Ziggy
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
They've always sat down for a year and learned the nuances of our system. Foster, Harris, etc. Drafted or undrafted; first round or not. It just seems to be a rule of thumb. Learn the system, work on the technique -- then go out and play. That's what I'm basing it off of.

Foster was at best an average college player and a HUGE reach in round 1. If Harris doesn't hurt his back, he may have had a chance to start earlier than the end of the season.

lex
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
1st rounders are 1st rounders mainly do to talent or potential, not smarts. Clady is considered the 2nd best OT in the draft by many and he is dumb as bricks.

OK, what part of my post are you disagreeing with?

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:08 PM
OK, what part of my post are you disagreeing with?

I didn't say I disagree... I was adding on:D

Ziggy
04-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Is this statement based on wonderlic score alone, or is there other evidence supporting it?

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Is this statement based on wonderlic score alone, or is there other evidence supporting it?

He wasn't stellar in the classroom; he has concentration problems during games resulting in stupid penalties and sacks. Besides this, yes the wonderlic score was pretty horrible itself. What did he get again? A 12 or 13?

Chris Williams is by far the better athlete, student of the game, and OT. Clady is just another player with god given talents who doesn't work hard to do anything with them.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM

What's the knock on Harris? Have we even seen enough tape on this guy to prejudge him? He's only been in the system for a year...

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
What's the knock on Harris? Have we even seen enough tape on this guy to prejudge him? He's only been in the system for a year...

I thought he played very good in the Vikings game last year.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM

The only guys I've seen that I think can step in by week 9 this year and make an impact are Albert at G, Cherilius at G/RT, or Clady at LT. The Clady comment is based purely on his experience and athleticism. His Wonderlic score doesn't support my theory.

Like I've said all along, Clady is the only offensive lineman who I think Denver is seriously considering with the #12 pick. He probably won't be there.

In my opinion, all this running back hype is a ploy to get a team with a late pick and a running back need to move ahead of Carolina, Detroit, Houston, and Arizona. If we drop down to #22 and take Cherilius or Williams, I'll be happier than a pig in shit (pardon my French).

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
The only guys I've seen that I think can step in by week 9 this year and make an impact are Albert at G, Cherilius at G/RT, or Clady at LT. The Clady comment is based purely on his experience and athleticism. His Wonderlic score doesn't support my theory.

Like I've said all along, Clady is the only offensive lineman who I think Denver is seriously considering with the #12 pick. He probably won't be there.

In my opinion, all this running back hype is a ploy to get a team with a late pick and a running back need to move ahead of Carolina, Detroit, Houston, and Arizona. If we drop down to #22 and take Cherilius or Williams, I'll be happier than a pig in shit (pardon my French).

Clady is middle of the pack in experienced OT prospect in the draft, at least as far as games started go

G. Cherilus: 51 starts
R. Schuening (OG): 50 starts
S. Baker: 49 starts
J. Greco: 49 starts
K. Brown (OG): 46 starts
B. Richardson: 45 starts
C. Rinehart: 44 starts
K. Barton: 42 starts
R. Felton (OG): 42 starts
M. McGlynn (OG): 42 starts
J. Long: 41 starts
J. Sullivan (C): 41 starts
J. Zuttah: 40 starts
S. Justice (C): 39 starts
D. Brown: 38 starts
R. Clady: 37 starts
B. Albert: 37 starts
Corey Clark: 37 starts
C. Williams: 35 starts
J. Otah: 24 starts
A. Collins: 24 starts
T. Hills: 24 starts
K. Dunlap: 24 starts
E. Young: 23 starts
C. Rachal: 23 starts
O. Cousins: 18 starts
C. Nicks: 13 starts

Requiem / The Dagda
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM

I love Harris, I had him slotted at our third round pick and said it'd be him or Free on the Mane last year. I love the kid. I hope he can do well, and I think he can be the guy. He's not a nasty run blocker and needed to work on some technique. Also the two surgeries he had on his back have made some people concerned, but I still think he has good potential here in Denver; whether it's at OT or OG.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Purely Wonderlic score on my part. Although, I've seen some interviews with Clady and he's an esoteric person. He gives me the willies. But hey, maybe he'll get along with the ultimate warrior?

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_2799.jpg

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Clady is middle of the pack in experienced OT prospect in the draft, at least as far as games started go

G. Cherilus: 51 starts
R. Schuening (OG): 50 starts
S. Baker: 49 starts
J. Greco: 49 starts
K. Brown (OG): 46 starts
B. Richardson: 45 starts
C. Rinehart: 44 starts
K. Barton: 42 starts
R. Felton (OG): 42 starts
M. McGlynn (OG): 42 starts
J. Long: 41 starts
J. Sullivan (C): 41 starts
J. Zuttah: 40 starts
S. Justice (C): 39 starts
D. Brown: 38 starts
R. Clady: 37 starts
B. Albert: 37 starts
Corey Clark: 37 starts
C. Williams: 35 starts
J. Otah: 24 starts
A. Collins: 24 starts
T. Hills: 24 starts
K. Dunlap: 24 starts
E. Young: 23 starts
C. Rachal: 23 starts
O. Cousins: 18 starts
C. Nicks: 13 starts

Clady played in a zone blocking system eerily similar to our own. By experience, I was referring his knowledge and proven executional excellence in a system that you don't pick up in a month or two of practice.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Purely Wonderlic score on my part. Although, I've seen some interviews with Clady and he's an esoteric person. He gives me the willies. But hey, maybe he'll get along with the ultimate warrior?

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_2799.jpg

I'm not sure what the football player curriculum are these days but there are a few GPA's:

Clady had a 2.5 GPA at Boise St.
Williams had a 3.9 GPA at Vanderbilt
Zuttah had a 3.2 GPA at Rutgers

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Clady played in a zone blocking system eerily similar to our own. By experience, I was referring his knowledge and proven executional excellence in a system that you don't pick up in a month or two of practice.

my bad:D

lex
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure what the football player curriculum are these days but there are a few GPA's:

Clady had a 2.5 GPA at Boise St.
Williams had a 3.9 GPA at Vanderbilt
Zuttah had a 3.2 GPA at Rutgers

I think Zuttah is an economics major if memory serves. Not recreation management, physical education, or marketing.

LRtagger
04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I am dead set on Stewart/Mendenhall at 12 and Baker at 42. I wouldnt be entirely disappointed if we went Williams/Albert at 12, but I wouldnt be as happy. I liked Cherilus at 42, but I dont think he falls that far. I'm not even sure Baker will, but I hope so.

I think this is the best opportunity we will have to get a HoF runner who will run for 1500 yards and 15 TDs for the next 7-8 years regardless of how banged up the offensive line gets (see 2007). I think Baker can probably fill the RT spot as a rookie, but could also move to LT if Kuper or Harris dont cut it. He seems like a pretty versatile player and would be tremendous value if he is available for us in the second round while it is obvious that Mendenhall/Stewart would be great values at 12.

I think the 2009 draft is when we will really stack the defense with studs. Just predicting a year in advance I see us taking LB, S, CB, and probably DE/DT. This year I see OL, WR, RB, K, and probably a DT in there for good measure (assuming we get Robertson for a 5th).

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
He wasn't stellar in the classroom; he has concentration problems during games resulting in stupid penalties and sacks. Besides this, yes the wonderlic score was pretty horrible itself. What did he get again? A 12 or 13?

Chris Williams is by far the better athlete, student of the game, and OT. Clady is just another player with god given talents who doesn't work hard to do anything with them.

I hate to differ with you on this but Williams is nowhere near the athlete that Clady is. Both have comparable speed; however, Clady is the stronger and more mobile of the two. Clady is an enviable ZBS tackle on film. He gets to the second level quickly and with agility. He's technically capable. He's strong. Very impressive. Williams doesn't show the same mobility and he's not as strong. Both are the same size and weight and have comparable speed. Williams plays with a little more leverage and I think he's a little better pass protector; the difference isn't much though.

The combine reinforced these obvious truths where Clady blew Williams out of the water. Clady beat Williams by a full second in the cone drill, has 6" on him in the vertical jump, a full foot in the long jump, and they were about the same in the 20-yard shuttle. Clady also bested Williams in the bench press 24 to 21.

Its not a fluke that many have Clady going in the top 5 picks this year. He's the real deal. I doubt he slips to us, but if he does we could do a lot worse. The guy makes me nervous though. He's weird.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I am dead set on Stewart/Mendenhall at 12 and Baker at 42. I wouldnt be entirely disappointed if we went Williams/Albert at 12, but I wouldnt be as happy. I liked Cherilus at 42, but I dont think he falls that far. I'm not even sure Baker will, but I hope so.

I think this is the best opportunity we will have to get a HoF runner who will run for 1500 yards and 15 TDs for the next 7-8 years regardless of how banged up the offensive line gets (see 2007). I think Baker can probably fill the RT spot as a rookie, but could also move to LT if Kuper or Harris dont cut it. He seems like a pretty versatile player and would be tremendous value if he is available for us in the second round while it is obvious that Mendenhall/Stewart would be great values at 12.

I think the 2009 draft is when we will really stack the defense with studs. Just predicting a year in advance I see us taking LB, S, CB, and probably DE/DT. This year I see OL, WR, RB, K, and probably a DT in there for good measure (assuming we get Robertson for a 5th).

I think MLB is a strong possibility in round 2 and don't be surprised if Derrick Harvey is taken at #12. He's arguably the BPA and Shanahan is a Gators guy. He took Moss last year and we nearly lost him as coach when Spurrier left town.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I hate to differ with you on this but Williams is nowhere near the athlete that Clady is. Both have comparable speed; however, Clady is the stronger and more mobile of the two. Clady is an enviable ZBS tackle on film. He gets to the second level quickly and with agility. He's technically capable. He's strong. Very impressive. Williams doesn't show the same mobility and he's not as strong. Both are the same size and weight and have comparable speed. Williams plays with a little more leverage and I think he's a little better pass protector; the difference isn't much though.

The combine reinforced these obvious truths where Clady blew Williams out of the water. Clady beat Williams by a full second in the cone drill, has 6" on him in the vertical jump, a full foot in the long jump, and they were about the same in the 20-yard shuttle. Clady also bested Williams in the bench press 24 to 21.

Its not a fluke that many have Clady going in the top 5 picks this year. He's the real deal. I doubt he slips to us, but if he does we could do a lot worse. The guy makes me nervous though. He's weird.

Clady will be a bust...... I seen him play way too much and he struggled versus good teams. He will not be able to be the big dog in the NFL.... not when he has to go up against talent like he has never seen before every Sunday. I also question his work ethic in football and off the field.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Williams is no sure thing either. The guy played Guard for Cutler, not tackle (contrary to popular belief). It would be suicide to take him at #12.

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Williams is no sure thing either. The guy played Guard for Cutler, not tackle (contrary to popular belief). It would be suicide to take him at #12.

I don't think it would be suicide, I don't see anyone that can come in a play LT as a rookie...not in Denver anyways.... Who ever we draft will start off at RT. JMO

turftoad
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM

But............. he played LT the last two years.

Ziggy
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM

I'll take game film over combine numbers any day. Williams gave up 1 sack against the best competition in college football and looked good doing it. Clady was in a spread offense and struggled against good teams. Clady may be a better athlete, but Williams is the better football player. I'll take the player every time.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I've always had the philosophy that you finish 1 piece if you can and then address the otehr pieces. Given that logic, it has to be OFFENSE. The D needs more help, but the O is 2-3 players away from top 5 status. We have the interior OLine and 2 young, potentially solid OT prospects. We have Cutty and the best TE tandem in the league. We have Marshall, Stokley and a few projects. We also are OK at RB as it stands now. HOWEVER, a stud WR, RB or OL could really put this offense over the top. I want greatness on at least 1 side of the ball. It won't be coming on the defensive side anytime soon, so let's finish a dominant O.

There are some defensive players I want more than a few of these names, but if I hear any of the following called at #12, I wouldn't be upset:

Mendenhall
Otah
Williams
Stewart
Thomas
Sweed
Albert

Skinny
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I wanted to pick defense so bad, but i just know Mikey's gonna go offense. Mendenhall, Stewart or Jackson. I'm forcing myself to accept this.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't think it would be suicide, I don't see anyone that can come in a play LT as a rookie...not in Denver anyways.... Who ever we draft will start off at RT. JMO

And that's why it should be OTAH! Otah and Holland on the right side. Harris and Hamilton/Kuper on the other. Nalen in the middle. We could run right all day in short yardage situations and goalline.