PDA

View Full Version : Broncos trade Brandon Marshall to Miami

Pages : [1] 2

claymore
04-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Broncos trade Brandon Marshall to Miami
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2010 7:37 AM ET
Last month, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said that receiver Brandon Marshall wouldn't be a good fit for the Dolphins.

Hopefully, Sparano won't soon be commenting on whether he'll be the Alabama coach.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Marshall has been shipped to the Dolphins for a second-round pick in the 2010 draft and "what is thought to be" a second-round selection in 2011. The deal hinges on Marshall passing a physical. (Though a formality, Marshall has had an on-and-off hip issue, the handling of which caused his relationship with the Broncos to sour.)

Marshall also expected to sign "one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals" in league history. The top of the market has been $10 million for more than two years, when Larry Fitzgerald parlayed the eight-figure back end of his rookie deal into a new contract. Others, like Randy Moss and Roy Williams, earn $9 million annually.

claymore
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
2x 2nd rounders make me happy. Now lets focus on Gaffney's development.

sneakers
04-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Nice going gaymore

This is all your fault, first quinn and now this...although Gaffney should do well without the shadow of Brandon Marshall hanging over him

:tsk:

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Thx, Clay...

Miami is not who was on my radar...

Zweems56
04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Miami is reeling in a Pro-Bowl wide receiver while Denver is reeling in even more premium picks.

For the second straight year, the Broncos will pull off a blockbuster deal, this time trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to Miami for a second-round pick next Friday and what is thought to be an additional second-round pick in 2011, according to league sources.

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paper work and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue Wednesday. Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history. It is the type of contract that an unhappy Marshall had been seeking in recent years. Miami will provide it, making Marshall very happy.

But the Broncos also will be happy to get two high picks for someone who made plays and caused headaches in almost equal numbers. Once the trade becomes official, it will alter the looks of the AFC East, the AFC West and the draft for the next two years. Just over one week before the draft, Miami will match and even top the wide receiver that the New York Jets landed at the start of this week, when they traded for talented but troubled Steelers wide-out Santonio Holmes.

Marshall is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position Miami needed help at most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a legal record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before their deal for Holmes.
What the Broncos will receive in return is something of a windfall in these NFL times. This off-season, Holmes went to the Jets for a fifth-round pick, wide receiver Anquan Boldin went to the Ravens for essentially for a third-round pick, and quarterback Donovan McNabb went to the Redskins for a second- and conditional fourth-round pick. Denver got fair, and possibly better than, market value.

Now, in just over one year, Denver has recouped an impressive two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall. They are two big deals for what were two of Denver's best players.
But Denver now heads into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the top two rounds - but with another hole to fill at wide receiver. Still, it has the ammunition it needs to continue to remake and improve its roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/44198/report-broncos-to-trade-brandon-marshall-to-dolphins-for-second-round-pick

Zweems56
04-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Lol, I was trying to post, but this happened while i was driving to work.

claymore
04-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Sharkies Kid ( I forget his name) is happy as hell today.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Damn it! I'm glad it's over but I was hoping it would have been a team with a higher 2nd rd and in the NFC! :ohwell: Time to move on!!

claymore
04-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Nice going gaymore

This is all your fault, first quinn and now this...although Gaffney should do well without the shadow of Brandon Marshall hanging over him

:tsk:

Sorry Sneak. Marshalls talent and McDaniels ego couldnt fit in the same locker room. This had to happen.

Zweems56
04-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Sorry Sneak. Marshalls ego and McDaniels talent couldnt fit in the same locker room. This had to happen.

Fixt

claymore
04-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Fixt

We shall see.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Thx, Clay...

Miami is not who was on my radar...

Actually Lingus, I mentioned them yesterday because a sportswriter in Miami whose a so-so friend of mine had emailed me and told me that Miami had been on the phone with Denver about Marshall, as had Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay likely offered a second round pick that was higher but Miami offered two.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:15 AM
2x 2nd rounders make me happy. Now lets focus on Gaffney's development.

Gaffney's development? WTF... Gaffney should not be in development, he's a freakin' eight year veteran. People use to use that argument with Plummer...it's nonsense, he has been under several good coaches and is still remains mediocre.

It's more like we just confirmed we are more then likely taking Bryant or another top five receiver in the draft.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Gaffney's development? WTF... Gaffney should not be in development, he's a freakin' eight year veteran. People use to use that argument with Plummer...it's nonsense, he has been under several good coaches and is still remainse mediocre.

It's more like we just confirmed we are more then likely taking Bryant or another top five receiver in the draft.

Take a breathe!! I believe clay was being a little sarcastic!

Benn will be the next receiver to wear the BRONCOS uniform!!

elsid13
04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
yuck

frauschieze
04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
*sighs*

At least it's done.

Who wants to take bets the next player Jrwiz is going to want off the team? :D

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Take a breathe!! I believe clay was being a little sarcastic!

Benn will be the next receiver to wear the BRONCOS uniform!!

Oh good God...I hope so...lol.

I don't think we will take Benn, his hands are too questionable...

My mock draft has us taking Bryant or Gilyard.

claymore
04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
*sighs*

At least it's done.

10 Bucks says it is a talented franchise player. Sooooooo We dont have him yet!

elsid13
04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
10 Bucks says it is a talented franchise player. Sooooooo We dont have him yet!

One word Doom.

claymore
04-14-2010, 07:31 AM
One word Doom.

Meh....

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
One word Doom.

If Jr. curses us to lose on more player from his hate-fest, I am driving him to Mexico getting him drunk then throwing his ass with lube into a gay night club and sealing the doors shut and leaving him there! Then he will know what a pain in the ass is!

:shocked:

:D

:lol:

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Good bye brandon, hello Dez

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3649/3293708869_8a7e4aa7dc.jpg

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 07:35 AM
I started thinking Miami once Ronnie Brown and Ginn were being dangled for trade bait.

So for 2 second round picks.....in Mcd's eyes Marshall is worth a Smith and Quinn.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
He'll be visiting the BRONCOS today and 10 teams have taken him off their board! He'll more than likely hold out half the season as well and won't be worth the bs, so pass!!! BRONCOS need to trade down!!

claymore
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
I started thinking Miami once Ronnie Brown and Ginn were being dangled for trade bait.

So for 2 second round picks.....in Mcd's eyes Marshall is worth a Smith and Quinn.

Thanks for putting that in perspective. :vomit: Oh man....

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 07:38 AM
What you talkin bout willis!?!?!
http://img.youtube.com/vi/slXL0B2DRUo/0.jpg

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
He'll be visiting the BRONCOS today and 10 teams have taken him off their board! He'll more than likely hold out half the season as well and won't be worth the bs, so pass!!! BRONCOS need to trade down!!

Bryant will probably dazzle McDaniels, he's been coached to help his draft stock...don't be too surprised if we call his name come our first pick in the draft whether at eleven or a bit lower.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Bryant will probably dazzle McDaniels, he's been coached to help his draft stock...don't be too surprised if we call his name come our first pick in the draft whether at eleven or a bit lower.

And you know this, man!!!!!!!
http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Deion-Sanders-mugshot.jpg

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm on the Dez band wagon now. This putrid offense needs all the help it can get.....

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Just get used to this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2832489294_a2ae804129.jpg

Nomad
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm on the Dez band wagon now. This putrid offense needs all the help it can get.....

I'm on the 'just say NO to Bryant' bandwagon! We'll see whose bandwagon wins though I believe in the long run BRONCOS will regret if they draft Bryant!!

Lancane
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Just get used to this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2832489294_a2ae804129.jpg

Like Michael Jackson, he walks on air...plays with (cow)boys...and he lies about it!

:eek:

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Like Michael Jackson, he walks on air...plays with (cow)boys...and he lies about it!

:eek:

OK, thats pretty good.:shocked::lol:

Mike
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Where does Miami pick in the 2nd?

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm on the 'just say NO to Bryant' bandwagon! We'll see whose bandwagon wins though I believe in the long run BRONCOS will regret if they draft Bryant!!

Are there any vet WR available right now that could come in and start? I saw enough of Gaffney in NE to know he isn't man enough to be the man at WR.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM

43 i think.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM

The 43rd overall pick, so we now have the 43rd and 45th overall picks in round two...we could end up with more if we trade down in the first round as well.

We should trade down with New England for the 22nd and 44th overall picks...that way we have three consecutive picks in the second round!

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
The 43rd overall pick, so we now have the 43rd and 45th overall picks in round two...we could end up with more if we trade down in the first round as well.

We should trade down with New England for the 22nd and 44th overall picks...that way we have three consecutive picks in the second round!

Lets hope we don't draft another Quinn and Smith............:tsk:

Nomad
04-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Genius idea!!!! Now get on the phone with McD and tell him this

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

No. No trading down. If DWilliams is there, DEN should take him. Cause MIA is taking him with the next pick if we dont. However, now that DEN has an extra 2nd, they could look at Cam Thomas or Torrel Troup at some point in the 2nd, and go elsewhere with the 1st round pick now.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Genius idea!!!! Now get on the phone with McD and tell him this

I would, but he would hang up on me after I expressed my opinion of him!...lol.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
No. No trading down. If DWilliams is there, DEN should take him. Cause MIA is taking him with the next pick if we dont. However, now that DEN has an extra 2nd, they could look at Cam Thomas or Torrel Troup at some point in the 2nd, and go elsewhere with the 1st round pick now.

I would say our offense at this point is vastly more important compared to our defense...

Plus we have to keep in mind that Cam Thomas is sliding down and Troup is a fourth round to fifth round project at best.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:08 AM

OK, thats not bad now that i think about it.
And NE does need help at LB/DE.
They could get McClain or Odrick at #11.
Hmm. you may be onto something.
Lets play with this idea a bit.
SO DEN would have
Ooooh thats some serious firepower.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
OK, thats not bad now that i think about it.
And NE does need help at LB/DE.
They could get McClain or Odrick at #11.
Hmm. you may be onto something.
Lets play with this idea a bit.
SO DEN would have
Ooooh thats some serious firepower.

Exactly, we take Pouncey or Bryant if he's there at the 22nd pick, then we have three consecutive second rounders...

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Exactly, we take Pouncey or Bryant if he's there at the 22nd pick, then we have three consecutive second rounders...

...and imagine the damage we could do with those 3 picks. Either taking players or moving them for additional picks.

ikillz0mbies
04-14-2010, 08:17 AM
At least it's finally over with. The Broncos got the best deal they could get. I love the idea of trading down and garnering even more picks. This is going to be one interesting draft...

Nomad
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
...and imagine the damage we could do with those 3 picks. Either taking players or moving them for additional picks.

I've read where coaches are as excited for the 2nd round talent as they are the 1st rd...that says alot about what's in the 2nd rd and I like Lancane's idea! I'm not too high on Bryant but I would welcome him as a BRONCO with a cautious eye!!

atwater27
04-14-2010, 08:22 AM
You Dez Bryant guys are ******* CRAZY if you think Bowlen is going to OK another dumbass diva wide recieiver with criminal tendencies to replace the one we just got rid of. Good GOD! If the Broncos brass is that stupid, I may be a Washington Redskins fan.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
You Dez Bryant guys are ******* CRAZY if you think Bowlen is going to OK another dumbass diva wide recieiver with criminal tendencies to replace the one we just got rid of. Good GOD! If the Broncos brass is that stupid, I may be a Washington Redskins fan.

Mayock just blasted the Broncos on NFLN about possibly replacing Marshall with Bryant, questioning the move in general. He basically said in an around about we that we were fleeced. Who knows, what the Broncos brass will do at this point.

MileHighCrew
04-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Considering the "talent" from last years second round, I am not as happy as many of you about this trade

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:28 AM

A diva with criminal tendencies. Hmmm...do you know something about Bryant that no one else does?

Nomad
04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Mayock just blasted the Broncos on NFLN about possibly replacing Marshall with Bryant, questioning the move in general. He basically said in an around about we that we were fleeced. Who knows, what the Broncos brass will do at this point.

Mayock seems to dislike Bryant as time goes on! I don't view Bryant as a criminal but as a 'me' player and sometimes they're just as bad as the criminals when it comes to the locker room! Another negative for me is he has the same agent as Crabtree so he could be a potential holdout for a good part of the season and who knows what else he'd do ! So to save the headache, I'd pass on Bryant trade down and get a center!!

sneakers
04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
They better not draft a player with the first name "Dez"....

Lancane
A diva with criminal tendencies. Hmmm...do you know something about Bryant that no one else does?

He's not really a diva, he's just not very smart, he's football savvy just not intelligent beyond the field. Now the Broncos who meet with Bryant have to see if all the issues are a thing of the past or if there is a chance that he will cause issues for the team.

CoachChaz
Mayock seems to dislike Bryant as time goes on! I don't view Bryant as a criminal but as a 'me' player and sometimes they're just as bad as the criminals when it comes to the locker room! Another negative for me is he has the same agent as Crabtree so he could be a potential holdout for a good part of the season and who knows what else he'd do ! So to save the headache, I'd pass on Bryant trade down and get a center!!

Yeah...hiring Parker is more of a turn-off for me than the fact he talked to Deion and lied about it.

sneakers
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Why don't we pick that center out of miami (do we have a center on roster??)

Traveler
04-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm just glad this has been settled. Denver received good value for BM if they did get two 2nd rounders for him.

As much as I'd like for Denver to get another receiver to replace Brandon, I'd be much happier if they solidified the trenches this year.

There really isn't a must have talent at WR or RB this year. Depending on your prospective, that can't be said of the talent available in the trenches.

I say the team should focus on and fortify both sides of the interior lines.

Lock up the best C, NT, G, and DE available!

Dzone
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
So we now have the 11th, 43rd and 45th picks. How does this change things in rd 1 and who is projected at 43 and 45?

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm just glad this has been settled. Denver received good value for BM if they did get two 2nd rounders for him.

As much as I'd like for Denver to get another receiver to replace Brandon, I'd be much happier if they solified the trenches this year.

There really isn't a must have talent at WR or RB this year. Depending on your prospective, that can't be said of the talent available in the trenches.

I say the team should focus on and fortify both sides of the interior lines.

Lock up the best C, NT, G, and DE available!

No way in hell we don't use at least one pick on a receiver, I feel we will use two picks on receivers. While the trenches are important, if you can't score then you can not win and all we'll see is McDaniels on his way out the door.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
He's not really a diva, he's just not very smart, he's football savvy just not intelligent beyond the field. Now the Broncos who meet with Bryant have to see if all the issues are a thing of the past or if there is a chance that he will cause issues for the team.

The guy had lunch with Deon then lied about it. thats it.
There absolutely been no criminal activity EVER from Dez.
No guns. No drugs. No violence. No DUIs. No crazy comments.
None ever.
yeah, hes a real criminal.

Mike
04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
No way in hell we don't use at least one pick on a receiver, I feel we will use two picks on receivers. While the trenches are important, if you can't score then you can not win and all we'll see is McDaniels on his way out the door.

You can't score if the QB doesn't have time to throw or if there are no holes for the RB to get through. The trenches are the most important parts of the team, IMO.

I hope they take BPA in the first...I am sick of reaches. And then do what you got to fix the lines the rest of the draft.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:40 AM

I wont argue that he doesnt always make the wisest choices. There is plenty of eveidence to support that. But, none of his choices have been criminal and he's only 21...so there is time for him to learn.

I just called out the post because it was obviously a hate-based comment thrown out there...not because someone doesnt like Bryant...but because someone is unhappy with the team right now.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
The guy had lunch with Deon then lied about it. thats it.
There absolutely been no criminal activity EVER from Dez.
No guns. No drugs. No violence. No DUIs. No crazy comments.
None ever.
yeah, hes a real criminal.

I never said that he was a criminal, if I would call him anything...it would be a 'Momma's Boy', and he is a self admitted one.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
You can't score if the QB doesn't have time to throw or if there are no holes for the RB to get through. The trenches are the most important parts of the team, IMO.

I hope they take BPA in the first...I am sick of reaches. And then do what you got to fix the lines the rest of the draft.

I agree...but I also side with Lancane on this one.

I've always argued that WR's are the most overrated players on a football team, but Marshall is gone, Stokely is at the end of his career, Gaffney is questionable, McKinley hasnt shown anything, Lloyd is a #5 at best. So in reality...our most reliable WR is the guy coming off of a "sophomore slump". We need to add something to the position in the first 3 rounds.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:44 AM
I never said that he was a criminal, if I would call him anything...it would be a 'Momma's Boy', and he is a self admitted one.

No, no. My post want really aimed at you. But the posters who seem to throw out lies cause they hate a player.

Mike
04-14-2010, 08:44 AM

I've always argued that WR's are the most overrated players on a football team, but Marshall is gone, Stokely is at the end of his career, Gaffney is questionable, McKinley hasnt shown anything, Lloyd is a #5 at best. So in reality...our most reliable WR is the guy coming off of a "sophomore slump". We need to add something to the position in the first 3 rounds.

Which is why they take Bryant in the 1st. I think he will be the BPA and isn't a reach at 11. But I am not a drafturbater, so my opinion means somewhere around jack and .... ;)

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM

We need line depth and a starting center, the line is not in that bad of shape, or at least how some make it out to be. We have Williams and Fields who will rotate at nose, Bannan and Green along with players who were part of our better defense last year. We can live with adding a lineman here and there...MFG. Olsen, Kuper, Harris and Clady are all returning, we need someone to eventually replace Harris and guard depth. We are not in that big of a hurt in the trenches.

Northman
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Thank the lord its over.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Which is why they take Bryant in the 1st. I think he will be the BPA and isn't a reach at 11. But I am not a drafturbater, so my opinion means somewhere around jack and .... ;)

I look at it this way. If Bryant ends up being a guy catching 100 balls for 1400 yards and 10 TD's...and a guy like LaFell (or anyone else in a later round) ends up being a guy that catches 80 balls for 1100 yards and 8 TD's...but in the process you also got a Pro-Bowl player in the first...then I'm of the opinion that the better value is to NOT got with Bryant in the 1st. Then again...I openly admit that WR's are overrated

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Agreed. So who does DEN take?
The ONLY reason Orton had any success whatsoever was because Marshall was on the field. Thats it. Without Marshall DEN loses 3 more games, and Orton looks like he really would look...like a career back up. Marshall saved the offense too many times with his one handed grabs of the most shitbag thrown balls time and again.
Of all the WRs,
Who goes up and gets the most seperation?
WHo has the most hops?
Who has the best hands?
Who has the best red zone potential?
Who scores time and again, no matter who was covering him?
The only one even close to being able to come in and make an impact is DEZ.
Of course Qwinn will start week one, so it really doesnt matter who is on the field!!! :lol:

Nomad
No, no. My post want really aimed at you. But the posters who seem to throw out lies cause they hate a player.

No one hates him and i've only seen one poster calling him a criminal! He has a lot of negative question marks especially who is representing him, so not wanting another potential 'diva' is not hating. Sorry I don't have my lips wrapped around his jock like some of you posters do!!

Traveler

I hear what you are saying. My point is that JMcD has stated several times that he wants this to be a more physical team with a power running game.

As evidenced last year, he can't accomplish that without having the hosses in the trenches. BM was a decent receiver and look where that got us. If we can't run the ball when required, what's the benefit to having a WR like Marshall?

Teams have to fear the run for most passing games to be effective anyway. Teams didn't respect our running game the latter part of the season. Orton doesn't put fear into team with the deep passing game.

So what's left?

We have to establish ourselves in the run game first. To do so, we need the type of players JMFMcD requires to execute his system.

Having said all that, in no way am I stating that fortifying the trenches and possibly adding receiving talent can't be done simultaneously. If they can pull it off, more power to them.

The trenches should be a higher priority IMO.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 08:54 AM
No one hates him and i've only seen one poster calling him a criminal! He has a lot of negative question marks especially who is representing him, so not wanting another potential 'diva' is not hating. Sorry I don't have my lips wrapped around his jock like some of you posters do!!

ATWATER27 posted

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Agreed. So who does DEN take?
The ONLY reason Orton had any success whatsoever was because Marshall was on the field. Thats it. Without Marshall DEN loses 3 more games, and Orton looks like he really would look...like a career back up. Marshall saved the offense too many times with his one handed grabs of the most shitbag thrown balls time and again.
Of all the WRs,
Who goes up and gets the most seperation?
WHo has the most hops?
Who has the best hands?
Who has the best red zone potential?
Who scores time and again, no matter who was covering him?
The only one even close to being able to come in and make an impact is DEZ.
Of course Qwinn will start week one, so it really doesnt matter who is on the field!!! :lol:

I'm confident that Royal and the rest of the offense will be better this year and there will be at least one rookie WR added in the top 3 rounds. If the offense opens up and we see more from Royal and Co., I really dont think we need an immediate "impact" at WR

Lancane
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I hear what you are saying. My point is that JMcD has stated several times that he wants this to be a more physical team with a power running game.

As evidenced last year, he can't accomplish that without having the hosses in the trenches. BM was a decent receiver and look where that got us. If we can't run the ball when required, what's the benefit to having a WR like Marshall?

Teams have to fear the run for most passing games to be effective anyway. Teams didn't respect our running game the latter part of the season. Orton doesn't put fear into team with the deep passing game.

So what's left?

We have to establish ourselves in the run game first. To do so, we need the type of players JMFMcD requires to execute his system.

Having said all that, in no way am I stating that fortifying the trenches and possibly adding receiving talent can't be done simultaneously. If they can pull it off, more power to them.

The trenches should be a higher priority IMO.

But the trenches are not in bad shape, if we add a center who can start and a versatile lineman like Ducasse and so forth, then the offensive line will be better off. And no one can win with just a solid run game, that should be obvious when you see the teams that have won championships over the last ten years all have solid ground games but better passing offenses (New England, Indianapolis, New Orleans, New York).

Tell you this, if McDaniels keeps treating this team like his own experimental project, he will be leaving a lot sooner then many believe.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
But the trenches are not in bad shape, if we add a center who can start and a versatile lineman like Ducasse and so forth, then the offensive line will be better off. And no one can win with just a solid run game, that should be obvious when you see the teams that have won championships over the last ten years all have solid ground games but better passing offenses (New England, Indianapolis, New Orleans, New York).

Tell you this, if McDaniels keeps treating this team like his own experimental project, he will be leaving a lot sooner then many believe.

Dont teams historically get productive O-linemen in the middle rounds of most drafts?

Northman
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Ill be fair with Dez just like i was with Brandon. But the fact is Brandon couldnt learn from his mistakes so hopefully in Miami (haha) Brandon can mature to be a better person to go along with his play ability. Denver got fed up and had to cut him loose. But if Denver drafts Dez it doesnt automatically put Dez in the same category as Brandon. Im not sure i would really want to go that route because it is suspect but for all i know Dez could come in and be a fine professional athlete. All that im aware of is that he lied about talking with Deon Sanders. Thats a far cry from 13 arrests including domestic violence and DUI's. Never the less, im with Traveler that we should concentrate on the lines first and then worry about receiver last. We need to force Orton and or Quinn to concentrate spreading the ball around anyway.

Dzone
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Bryants mom served 18 months in prison for dealing cocaine. He was placed in special ed for a learning disorder. Had anger issues in high school,.
A big 12 coordinator said "dez bryant , the dude is a freak, just a freak with all those skills in one body"..Size, speed, hands and absolutely no fear.had 3 punt returns for Tds.S
This guy is a game changer and if he is available at 11, we had better take him or we will regret it.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm confident that Royal and the rest of the offense will be better this year and there will be at least one rookie WR added in the top 3 rounds. If the offense opens up and we see more from Royal and Co., I really dont think we need an immediate "impact" at WR

I am sorry but Royal is a really solid route runner, but as a physical threat in the red zone, ah no. DEN needs a true red zone threat that can get any ball, anywhere, at any time. THey just dont have it now.
There just no replaing the slam dunk kind of player that marshall is, and Dez is simply the closest thing to him. Hes just too good to pass up, and theres plenty of players now with the extra pick in the 2nd to make up for it.
However having 3 picks in the 2nd is awfully enticing!!

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Dont teams historically get productive O-linemen in the middle rounds of most drafts?

Yes, the average for productive left tackles in the NFL is that they're drafted in the first round, but the average for all other productive lineman positions is usually they're drafted as mid round picks.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Yes, the average for productive left tackles in the NFL is that they're drafted in the first round, but the average for all other productive lineman positions is usually they're drafted as mid round picks.

Doesnt DEN have a bunch of mid round picks now?

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I see that Dez may be the best value and obviously a position we need..... but I just find it absolutely stupid to trade away one of the very best in the NFL at his position, a DOMINANT player... to then turn around and take chance on a 'maybe' at the same position. I think thats a way you go no-where in GAINING talent.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I see that Dez may be the best value and obviously a position we need..... but I just find it absolutely stupid to trade away one of the very best in the NFL at his position, a DOMINANT player... to then turn around and take chance on a 'maybe' at the same position. I think thats a way you go no-where in GAINING talent.

I agree with you. But unfortunately the circumstances of marshalls problems, both on and off the field, have caused this.
All DEN can do is try to make up for it with the best possible solution at WR.
Sucks.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Doesnt DEN have a bunch of mid round picks now?

Not really, we have two second round picks, but we have only one third and one fourth round pick, we have no fifth round picks either. Don't be surprised if Denver trades Tony Scheffler for a mid round pick during the draft.

WARHORSE
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Well, to the guys who thought we would get crap for Brandon.......in ya face.

Myhammy is going to have a tough road of it next year against the Jets and NE. But they definitely got a WR that will help them and the way they run their offense.

What will their record be? Who knows.

Anyway, the reports of Dez Bryant needing a baby sitter to get him to practice on time scare me. His talent scares me as well cause the kid has a chip on his shoulder.

Unlike BM, this guy is a real redzone and down the field threat. Brandon can go down field, but going up and getting the ball in full gallop......no.

Bryant will go up and get the ball in the redzone or not.

He is a playmaker. 19 TDs in his season two years ago if I remember correctly.

Id take him, but I cant see it at 11.

Its up to the Broncos. I just hope they make the right choice.

If we pick at 11, I hope we get Morgan.

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Had to happen. This team is determined to rid itself of all its top talent. Mission accomplished.

Now lets go get another TE and/or CB that can't play in the second round of this year's draft as well! Woo-hoo!

Shazam!
04-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Doom is the only player Denver must keep IMO.

2nds are good because 1sts are obviously much more pricey. Im fine with this.

I wish Miami was coached directly by Tuna, then Marshall wouldve wished he never even thought about leaving Denver.

Broncos are going to be fine.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Not really, we have two second round picks, but we have only one third and one fourth round pick, we have no fifth round picks either. Don't be surprised if Denver trades Tony Scheffler for a mid round pick during the draft.
Shoot, i have been saying that for months in the draft section.
to CAR for a 4th.
Wouldnt suprise me to see your boy Orton get traded for a 3rd/4th either.

Northman
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM

I wish Miami was coached directly by Tuna, then Marshall wouldve wished he never even thought about leaving Denver.

Doom will stay. If you look at the history of the guys cut loose they all had bad attitudes and other various troubles. Doom has been on board since day one.

WARHORSE
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM

This is Brandons fault.

And frankly, Im glad we dont have to worry about him having a relapse.

Kicking the balls in practice..........dumb, petulant and childish.

But the last straw, faking injury to hurt the team.

Goodbye BM. I hope you do well, but expect you to implode sooner rather than later, and being a Miami boy............with tons of money in your pocket.........smells like team spirit.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Shoot, i have been saying that for months in the draft section.
to CAR for a 4th.
Wouldnt suprise me to see your boy Orton get traded for a 3rd/4th either.

Hahaha... If we trade Orton I would be as happy as a crack-baby at McDonald's, I think we should trade him...to Oakland.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Doom will stay. If you look at the history of the guys cut loose they all had bad attitudes and other various troubles. Doom has been on board since day one.

Actually the NFLN just reported with all this crap on Marshall, that Doom and the team are having issues because of the tender on him and lack of contract negotiations.

'McDaniels has brought this on himself, Denver will be no better or no worse because of this move, Brandon made them better but they were still awful offensively' - Jamie Dukes

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Trust me...it's not like Sporano is going to sit back and watch him act stupid. What should scare them the most? Brandon Marshall with daily access to South Beach

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I am sorry but Royal is a really solid route runner, but as a physical threat in the red zone, ah no. DEN needs a true red zone threat that can get any ball, anywhere, at any time. THey just dont have it now.
There just no replaing the slam dunk kind of player that marshall is, and Dez is simply the closest thing to him. Hes just too good to pass up, and theres plenty of players now with the extra pick in the 2nd to make up for it.
However having 3 picks in the 2nd is awfully enticing!!

One season of double digit TD's is red zone dominance?

Nomad
04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Ill be fair with Dez just like i was with Brandon. But the fact is Brandon couldnt learn from his mistakes so hopefully in Miami (haha) Brandon can mature to be a better person to go along with his play ability. Denver got fed up and had to cut him loose. But if Denver drafts Dez it doesnt automatically put Dez in the same category as Brandon. Im not sure i would really want to go that route because it is suspect but for all i know Dez could come in and be a fine professional athlete. All that im aware of is that he lied about talking with Deon Sanders. Thats a far cry from 13 arrests including domestic violence and DUI's. Never the less, im with Traveler that we should concentrate on the lines first and then worry about receiver last. We need to force Orton and or Quinn to concentrate spreading the ball around anyway.

Like I said before one person called him a criminal, so that's makes anybody who questions his character a hater because of his actions with his previous team! Now Bryant has to prove his critics wrong and I don't see a team out there signing him without a clause. But seeing who his agent is, he is going to believe he is worth more than what a team will be willing to pay a rookie, unproven NFL receiver with alot of question marks and if he doesn't get what he wants he'll sit out! I'm all for trading down and getting a solid WO in the 2nd or 3rd and focusing on the lines!

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Trust me...it's not like Sporano is going to sit back and watch him act stupid. What should scare them the most? Brandon Marshall with daily access to South Beach

Actually I would be more afraid if it was Big Ben! :shocked:

elsid13
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

interior linemen yes, Stud LT are usually first rounders.

Northman
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Like I said before one person called him a criminal, so that's makes anybody who questions his character a hater because of his actions with his previous team! Now Bryant has to prove his critics wrong and I don't see a team out there signing him without a clause. But seeing who his agent is, he is going to believe he is worth more than what a team will be willing to pay a rookie, unproven NFL receiver with alot of question marks and if he doesn't get what he wants he'll sit out! I'm all for trading down and getting a solid WO in the 2nd or 3rd and focusing on the lines!

Well, not necessarily. If he is taken in the first he is guaranteed money based upon where he is taken and his position. Now, he could hold out if someone tries to put a clause in there but frankly based off this one incident im not sure anyone is really going to do that. All the receivers in this draft are unproven but just like Crabtree and Heyward-Bey someone is going to pay the guy because the potential is there. But, im with you as i would like to trade down and maybe get a later first and possibly a 5th in there and take a guy like Gilyard who i think could fit our offense well.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, not necessarily. If he is taken in the first he is guaranteed money based upon where he is taken and his position. Now, he could hold out if someone tries to put a clause in there but frankly based off this one incident im not sure anyone is really going to do that. All the receivers in this draft are unproven but just like Crabtree and Heyward-Bey someone is going to pay the guy because the potential is there. But, im with you as i would like to trade down and maybe get a later first and possibly a 5th in there and take a guy like Gilyard who i think could fit our offense well.

Crabtree held out half the season and look who his agent is!! If Bryant would have a different agent I may have a different take.

Traveler
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Really? We must not be watching the same team then. Our OL currently has just three players (Clady, Kuper, and Harris). Although he's a solid player, Harris is a question mark because of his back issues. Adding to that, these players were drafted to fit the WCO, but have shown the ability to adapt to the new scheme.

So where does that leaves us? No starting C or LG, and questionable depth after those already mentioned.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but, tell me again how we're not in bad shape on the OL and possibly replacing BM with a rookie WR will make our offense better.

As to your point of the teams winning championships, you further make my point becaase those teams have solid players in the trenches. Brady, both Mannings and Brees wouldn't be worth crap without the good linemen they have in front of them.

Denver has to make the same type of investments.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
interior linemen yes, Stud LT are usually first rounders.

I did happen to know about LTs being taken high, but thanks. I guess since DEN already has the best LT in the NFL, i more or less meant the other positions. :D

broncofaninfla
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Really? We must not be watching the same team then. Our OL currently has just three players (Clady, Kuper, and Harris). Although he's a solid player, Harris is a question mark because of his back issues. Adding to that, these players were drafted to fit the WCO, but have shown the ability to adapt to the new scheme.

So where does that leaves us? No starting C or LG, and questionable depth after those already mentioned.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but, tell me again how we're not in bad shape on the OL and possibly replacing BM with a rookie WR will make our offense better.

As to your point of the teams winning championships, you further make my point becaase those teams have solid players in the trenches. Brady, both Mannings and Brees wouldn't be worth crap without the good linemen they have in front of them.

This, 100%, this......................:salute:

elsid13
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I did happen to know about LTs being taken high, but thanks. I guess since DEN already has the best LT in the NFL, i more or less meant the other positions. :D

One of those football geek sites had breakdown of were most position starters came by in round in the draft.

I think it went something like this
QB -1st
LT- 1st
RT- 3rd
C-3rd/4th
G 2nd
RB -2nd/3rd

Lonestar
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Well I'm glad now poor BM will not have to worry about cold air practices.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Lancane
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Olsen is slated at this time to be challenge for the starting left guard spot, per McDaniels. Clady is solid and Kuper will return, at least for this year. I agree that Harris could be an issue...let me take this a step further, how many guard or tackle prospects has Denver had workouts with thus far? The answer is three, Ducasse, Valdheer and Hawley, Ducasse is a tackle/guard while Hawley is a guard/center, while Valdheer is a straight laced tackle. Now how many receivers have they had workouts with? Bryant, Gilyard, Benn, Ford, Decker, Edwards, Williams and Mitchell, so eight...thus far.

Wonder what position worries them the most, and most of those workouts happened before long before we rid ourselves of Marshall. We have looked at the center position second most to receiver, followed by defensive lineman.

I agree the trenches are important, but you can not forsake playmakers for the LOS alone or you have no shot of winning in this league.

T.K.O.
04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
kinda weird that miami announced that they were shopping ted ginn just hours before the marshall trade :confused:hmmmmm
sounds like some behind closed door dealings to me.
on a bright note we did get 2 2nds. giving us a shot at pouncey and/or mclain

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
kinda weird that miami announced that they were shopping ted ginn just hours before the marshall trade :confused:hmmmmm

How did adding the 2nd give us a shot at these two, any differently than we had before the trade?

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM

The opening post doesn't say we got 2 second round picks for sure. We have for sure the Dolphins 2010 2nd rounder and "what is thought to be" their 2nd rounder in 2011.

Traveler
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Olsen is slated at this time to be challenge for the starting left guard spot, per McDaniels. Clady is solid and Kuper will return, at least for this year. I agree that Harris could be an issue...let me take this a step further, how many guard or tackle prospects has Denver had workouts with thus far? The answer is three, Ducasse, Valdheer and Hawley, Ducasse is a tackle/guard while Hawley is a guard/center, while Valdheer is a straight laced tackle. Now how many receivers have they had workouts with? Bryant, Gilyard, Benn, Ford, Decker, Edwards, Williams and Mitchell, so eight...thus far.

Wonder what position worries them the most, and most of those workouts happened before long before we rid ourselves of Marshall. We have looked at the center position second most to receiver, followed by defensive lineman.

I agree the trenches are important, but you can not forsake playmakers for the LOS alone or you have no shot of winning in this league.

We could do this all day.;)

So your logic is that becasue they've looked at more WR's than interior linemen, that's the position they are most worried about.

Okay, I can see how you can make that assumption.

As you say, let's take this a step further. You, as well as many in the league know that this time of year, you can't read alot into whom teams invite for visits.

No team is truly going to make known their priorities. We all agree that WR is a need. Put me in the camp that believes it's not our biggest need.

We should use this year to get more solid in the trenches because the talent is more readily available in this years draft.

Buff
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
How did adding the 2nd give us a shot at these two, any differently than we had before the trade?

C'mon Rav, don't be stubborn and dense. The answer is obvious.

T.K.O.
04-14-2010, 10:15 AM

well because if you have more 2nd round picks its more likely you will be able to pick up more 2nd rnd players.
OR.....as josh showed last year if he wants a player he is not afraid to trade up to get them.
we could easily pawn off both picks to move up this year. which would likely squeeze us back in to the bottom of the 1st (which is what the team wanted for marshall)

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
C'mon Rav, don't be stubborn and dense. The answer is obvious.

How does picking up Miami's 2nd rounder this year help us to get McClain and Pouncey both. I can see the possibility of getting one of them but both? I don't see how that would be possible if since both of those guys are expected to go by early in the 2nd round.

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
well because if you have more 2nd round picks its more likely you will be able to pick up more 2nd rnd players.
OR.....as josh showed last year if he wants a player he is not afraid to trade up to get them.
we could easily pawn off both picks to move up this year. which would likely squeeze us back in to the bottom of the 1st (which is what the team wanted for marshall)

Oh.. ok..... so you think that one may fall into the second round then... thats where I was confused.

turftoad
04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
How does picking up Miami's 2nd rounder this year help us to get McClain and Pouncey both. I can see the possibility of getting one of them but both? I don't see how that would be possible if since both of those guys are expected to go by early in the 2nd round.

They will both be first rounders.

Buff
04-14-2010, 10:23 AM

More picks = more leverage. Greater potential to trade up/down to get your guy.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Or maybe...we could deal the two 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd for a late first to get Pouncey. There are lot's of different scenarios

weazel
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
so... do we draft Bryant?

man, that 1st rounder we traded away for Gullum sure would look good now.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Or maybe...we could deal the two 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd for a late first to get Pouncey. There are lot's of different scenarios

Or Iupati. I think he would be a more highly coveted O linemen than pouncey, who i think is a bit overrated and in last years draft would have gone in the 3rd.
DEN could aquire JDWalton with #80 and still be set. Or Olsen as well.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
so... do we draft Bryant?

man, that 1st rounder we traded away for Gullum sure would look good now.

Alphie. now i am nauseated

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Or Iupati. I think he would be a more highly coveted O linemen than pouncey, who i think is a bit overrated and in last years draft would have gone in the 3rd.
DEN could aquire JDWalton with #80 and still be set. Or Olsen as well.

IMO, Iupati will be drafted to play tackle in the NFL.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM

WHo cares!?!? Thats just cause a team needs him to play there! He can still dominate at guard and then if Harris gets injured, he could move over to RT. Or if our awsome LT has to go to a bridal shower and cant make the game, he could move over to LT.
Its a win/win dude.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Iupati has Steelers written all over him! I'd be surprised if they pass on him unless there is a must have LB there!! As people believe Bryant will be special, I believe Iupati will be on the Pro Bowl/All Pro list many times in his career!JMO!!

rationalfan
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
according to adam schefter miami just made marshall the highest paid WR in nfl history. personally, he's not worth that contract.

elsid13
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

He doesn't have the feet for it. He is in the box type player that will struggle in space. Iupati reminds me a lot of Leonard Davis.

#1dolphinfan
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Love the trade as a dolphin fan

jlarsiii
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I just don't understand most of the posters here concerning this move. IMO we really did just get fleeced. Right now we get a mid 2nd round pick this year, and we have yet to find out exactly what pick we get in the 2011 draft.

All of that for a pro-bowl WR. I know that most people upset with Brandon had issues with his off field behavior, but no one can argue that the guy didn't produced on the field. Honestly, that is all I really care about for the most part, and Marshall produced when he was on the field.

Now we don't have his services at all, and the best we can do is wait to see who we draft and pray that they actually become successful pro players. Last year we traded away a 1st round pick to take Smith early in the 2nd round last year. How has that move worked out so far?!?!

The draft is a crap shoot at best, and you all act like the team just did a good thing. It hasn't, and the fact remains we just traded away a pro-bowl WR in his prime for the 43rd pick in the draft this year. How can anyone be happy with that deal?

Spiritguy
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
according to adam schefter miami just made marshall the highest paid WR in nfl history. personally, he's not worth that contract.

@Adam_Schefter: Marshall reaches agreement with Dolphins on four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
WHo cares!?!? Thats just cause a team needs him to play there! He can still dominate at guard and then if Harris gets injured, he could move over to RT. Or if our awsome LT has to go to a bridal shower and cant make the game, he could move over to LT.
Its a win/win dude.

Exactly it's going to depend on who draft as where Iupati plays. If Denver were to draft him I have no doubt we stick him in at left guard.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I just don't understand most of the posters here concerning this move. IMO we really did just get fleeced. Right now we get a mid 2nd round pick this year, and we have yet to find out exactly what pick we get in the 2011 draft.

All of that for a pro-bowl WR. I know that most people upset with Brandon had issues with his off field behavior, but no one can argue that the guy didn't produced on the field. Honestly, that is all I really care about for the most part, and Marshall produced when he was on the field.

Now we don't have his services at all, and the best we can do is wait to see who we draft and pray that they actually become successful pro players. Last year we traded away a 1st round pick to take Smith early in the 2nd round last year. How has that move worked out so far?!?!

The draft is a crap shoot at best, and you all act like the team just did a good thing. It hasn't, and the fact remains we just traded away a pro-bowl WR in his prime for the 43rd pick in the draft this year. How can anyone be happy with that deal?

I think the way people that are okay with the trade are looking at it is we lost a player that put up inflated numbers and was a threat to be suspended yearly.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Its a win/win dude.

My point being...I think he'll be drafted a little higher based on this.

He doesn't have the feet for it. He is in the box type player that will struggle in space. Iupati reminds me a lot of Leonard Davis.

He hasnt had to show his footwork, but I dont doubt he has the potential. He could walk into a RT spot right now

Nomad
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree!

__________________________________________________ __

Marshall gets $24 million guaranteed
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 14, 2010 11:34 AM ET
Brandon Marshall wanted $10-million-per-year, and he got it.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports Marshall will get $50 million over the next five years as part of a four-year, $47 million extension tacked on to his scheduled $2.5 million salary in 2010.

The deal includes $24 million in guaranteed money, and close to $29 million in the first three years of the contract. It's not backloaded, although we're looking forward to seeing more details to learn if there are any natural outs for Miami if things don't go well.

This deal essentially matches Larry Fitzgerald's last contract and arguably makes Marshall the league's highest paid receiver, depending on you count the money

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
@Adam_Schefter: Marshall reaches agreement with Dolphins on four-year, $47.5 million extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

Wait wait wait.... I'm confused.

I thought people here were telling us that NO GM was going to take a chance on Marshall, he wasn't worth much.. and that no GM would DARE pay him BIG money??? :confused:

So now, they are saying that Bill Parcells, a HOF coach known for building teams fast, is not only bringing him in but paying him BIG money as well???

Weird

Crush05
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
He was a Denver Bronco and I am a fan of his still!!! Good Luck Brandon and have a great career. You will be missed!

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM

I thought people here were telling us that NO GM was going to take a chance on Marshall, he wasn't worth much.. and that no GM would DARE pay him BIG money??? :confused:

So now, they are saying that Bill Parcells, a HOF coach known for building teams fast, is not only bringing him in but paying him BIG money as well???

Weird

At that price...they can have him. I preferred he stayed at the right price, but if this is what he was looking for...good riddance. Whether it was here or Miami, he wont see 100 receptions again. No way in hell is he worth that much money

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Actually Lingus, I mentioned them yesterday because a sportswriter in Miami whose a so-so friend of mine had emailed me and told me that Miami had been on the phone with Denver about Marshall, as had Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay likely offered a second round pick that was higher but Miami offered two.

I must've missed the 'memo'...thx.

http://aftergradavenues.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/office-space.jpg

jlarsiii
04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I think the way people that are okay with the trade are looking at it is we lost a player that put up inflated numbers and was a threat to be suspended yearly.

I can understand people not being psyched about a player who potentially could get suspended at a moments notice. However, he didn't put up inflated numbers. You could say that if he only did it one season, but he put up great numbers in multiple seasons. That is the kind of production I want from my #1 WR. Who is going to produce those numbers now?

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't tell the how the future will turn out. All I know is we just traded away a very productive player for draft picks.

weazel

LMFAO!!!!

and THAT is the reason we wouldn't sign him. Man is Miami going to regret that...

Nomad
I must've missed the 'memo'...thx.

http://aftergradavenues.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/office-space.jpg

Great movie!!

Lonestar
04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Let's hope they fix the LOS issuses before going sexy with skill positions.

IMO we need starters for Center, OLG, first then look at backups/starters at OT (ORT) as harris while good could till be Upgraded. Also need a couple DL types like NT to replace our aging Vet there as well as atleast one more DE. IMO the jury is out on all the current DE's. Need one stud in the making there to mix in over the next year or so.

RB is not an area of concern except for backup unless we can snag that kid from stanford in the 3rd. To good a kid to pass on there.

I want to see how the current batch of QB's does behind a pass blocking/power blocking OLINE. If the kid Skelton is available late grab him.

As for WO I think one later could be good but with the ball hog gone the QB's will be forced to look past #1 to see if anyone else is open.

Also with an oline that is able to hold a block and not get pushed into the pocket they just night have the time to do that.

If there is an instant starter at CB or safety then I could be enticed to spend a day 1 or 2 pick on him now that we have an extra pick there.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM
At that price...they can have him. I preferred he stayed at the right price, but if this is what he was looking for...good riddance. Whether it was here or Miami, he wont see 100 receptions again. No way in hell is he worth that much money
Agreed. And i wonder if there are stipulations involved in that contract regarding his off the field behavior?

jlarsiii
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Agreed. And i wonder if there are stipulations involved in that contract regarding his off the field behavior?

I bet there are. I am sure he would sign any contract that would make him the highest paid WR regardless of clauses.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I, for one, do not believe the Broncos did well in that trade, in terms of quality alone.

But it the closure and ensuing peace may eventually be worth it . . .

-----

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
I can understand people not being psyched about a player who potentially could get suspended at a moments notice. However, he didn't put up inflated numbers. You could say that if he only did it one season, but he put up great numbers in multiple seasons. That is the kind of production I want from my #1 WR. Who is going to produce those numbers now?

I don't have a crystal ball so I can't tell the how the future will turn out. All I know is we just traded away a very productive player for draft picks.

Personally, I dont want anyone to set single game records (in a loss) or put up 100+ reception seasons in 3 straight non-playoff years. I want the ball to be spread around. I'd rather keep a defense spread out covering three 50 reception players than one 100 reception guy.

Ziggy
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
People are down on Iupati after the senior bowl game. I'm not. It was one bad game. I still think he'll be a perennial all pro within 2 years at guard, or a solid right tackle.

rationalfan
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Peter King just tweeted this: "Heck of a job by McDaniels, GM Xanders in getting second 2 from Miami. Most league people thought getting one high 2 was all they'd get."

it reminds me of something else: last year mike lombardi wrote about how he'd handle uncapped years as an nfl gm. one of his prime directives was to acquire as many picks as he can because in an uncapped year they're like "gold." with the marshall picks and the one expected to be coming from a scheffler trade, this sounds fine.

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Weird

Well it's interesting with Bill not in the Coaching seat anymore. Parcell's has always been very vocal about his dislike of diva's and me players in his locker rooms. Sure he had Keyshawn with the Jets (and I don't think we can relate T.O. to Parcells at all.... Jerry Jones gets that credit) and L.T. with the Giants but he shows a large disdain for players that prove or could prove troubled.

I think being in a seat where he doesn't have to work and mold these players on a day to day basis gives Parcells a bit more freedom to choose people he may have passed up when he was a coach. Plus there is no doubt Marshall adds a nice compliment to the wild cat system Spagnulo uses. That expands his usefulness to the offense beyond just the obvious and gives more incentive to bring him in. That and maybe the Dolphins staff and coaches think Marshall being closer to where he spends most of his time (south/central florida) can keep him out of the trouble he has experienced in the past.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
People are down on Iupati after the senior bowl game. I'm not. It was one bad game. I still think he'll be a perennial all pro within 2 years at guard, or a solid right tackle.

That's why I believe Steelers don't pass on him!!

I was just listening to ESPN first take and they had a fella on from 104.3 The Fan and he said Bowlen didn't want to pay Marshall that kind of money and that's is why they traded their #14 pick because Bowlen didn't want to pay for 2 first rounders!! So all this blame on Mcdaniels, could Bowlen be the man steering the ship and mcdaniels is made the scapegoat????

Shazam!
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM

No way would I want to see Denver pay him that kind of dough.

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 11:14 AM
No way would I want to see Denver pay him that kind of dough.

Me too, bud...I think you're right.

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
That's why I believe Steelers don't pass on him!!

I was just listening to ESPN first take and they had a fella on from 104.3 The Fan and he said Bowlen didn't want to pay Marshall that kind of money and that's is why they traded their #14 pick because Bowlen didn't want to pay for 2 first rounders!! So all this blame on Mcdaniels, could Bowlen be the man steering the ship and mcdaniels is made the scapegoat????

I read a report some time ago about McDaniels and Xanders having to deal with the short amount of time they had last year to prepare for the draft, and how having the whole year this time around would make things a little less chaotic with much more knowledge about each draftable player.

Anyhow in the report McDaniels talked about the trade for Alphonso Smith and that Xanders was the one who approached him about it. I'll try and dig it up, but IIRC Xanders was largely the one behind the decision to chase Smith when he fell to the 2nd.

BroncoAV06
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I am going to kick puppies and shoot unicorns today.

Damn you B-Marsh, well the "egos" are out of the locker room, see if McD and company step up with a solid draft since another position was added to the need list.

A+ move for the Dolphis, Marshall had more catches by himself against the Colts then any Dolphin team did combined as a team all last season.

jlarsiii
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Personally, I dont want anyone to set single game records (in a loss) or put up 100+ reception seasons in 3 straight non-playoff years. I want the ball to be spread around. I'd rather keep a defense spread out covering three 50 reception players than one 100 reception guy.

I don't care about personal records. I care about winning. If winning means it takes one WR to produce 100 catch seasons then bring it on. If it means 3 WR each having 50 catch seasons then bring it on. I don't care which it is as long as it ends with a W instead of a L for our team.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I read a report some time ago about McDaniels and Xanders having to deal with the short amount of time they had last year to prepare for the draft, and how having the whole year this time around would make things a little less chaotic with much more knowledge about each draftable player.

Anyhow in the report McDaniels talked about the trade for Alphonso Smith and that Xanders was the one who approached him about it. I'll try and dig it up, but IIRC Xanders was largely the one behind the decision to chase Smith when he fell to the 2nd.

I am not trying to dig up old dirt ,but it was interesting to hear that Bowlen may have had them do such a thing because he didn't want to dish out the money!

MileHighCrew
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Either way if you are unprepared then why trade a #1 for a player you haven't done all your homework on. It is one thing to make a mistake in a trade, but to make a trade that you admit less than a year later you were not prepared for is a stupid mistake.

D1g1tal j1m
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
B. Marsh got what he truly wanted: Out of Denver (where the Death of D Will was hanging over him) and a huge contract (that Denver was never going to give him). He was paid handsomely for his past performance on the field and Denver got the compensation that it was looking for. It's a win-win situation for both parties.

I can't wait for the Draft next week, it's gonna be fun with all the wheeling and dealing the Broncos have done and will probably do during the Draft. There is no way they stay pat at 11. They will trade down and gain more picks and also trade away Sheff.

In-com-plete
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
In my opinion, this, like most every other thing that's happened since mid January of '09, does not make the Denver Broncos a better football team.

Italianmobstr7
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't care about personal records. I care about winning. If winning means it takes one WR to produce 100 catch seasons then bring it on. If it means 3 WR each having 50 catch seasons then bring it on. I don't care which it is as long as it ends with a W instead of a L for our team.

I'd say the majority of Broncos fans feel the same way. The thought is that the 100 catch WR was the one helping us win some games. So I agree, if we have 2 or 3 WR's catch 50 passes and we win 10-11 games, I'm all for it. What if we have 2 or 3 WR's catch 50 passes and we win 4 games though? That's what I'm scared of. Regardless if you have team players, you've got to have TALENT to win. We've gotten rid of 2 of our 4 most talented players over the last year. First Cutler, now Marshall. Soon to be Scheffler too. If this all works out for the better, I'll be thrilled and if it doesn't we'll be the laughing stock of the league unfortunately.

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Either way if you are unprepared then why trade a #1 for a player you haven't done all your homework on. It is one thing to make a mistake in a trade, but to make a trade that you admit less than a year later you were not prepared for is a stupid mistake.

I wasn't defending the trade for Smith. I never said that.

I was responding to him saying that trading for him may have been directly linked to Bowlen not wanting to put out for two first rounder contracts. He may well be right about Bowlen but I was telling him what i read in the past.

That and I'm not ready to cast my opinion on a player who has had only one year in the NFL. It usually takes much longer for a player to develop into someone worth what the Broncos paid for Smith. I think what the Broncos did do resulted in increasing my expectations based on the value they threw for him, but I'm not about to call a player a bust after one season.

Shazam!
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
All of those AFC West Titles, AFC Championships and Super Bowl titles the Broncos won since 2000 are now void since Cutler and Marshall are gone.

Traveler
04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
2 number 2's, no conditions. Nice value!
--------------------------------------------

Broncos confirm terms of Marshall trade
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 14, 2010 11:47 AM ET

The results of Brandon Marshall's physical won't be official until this afternoon, but the Broncos have already announced that he's headed to Miami, pending said physical.

The Broncos also announced the trade picks involved. Denver will receive Miami's Dolphins' second-round pick in the 2010 and 2011 NFL Drafts. (The 2011 pick was previously not confirmed.) There are no conditions on the 2011 pick.

As we wrote before, it was a fair deal for Denver all things considered.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/14/broncos-confirm-terms-of-marshall-trade/

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I am not trying to dig up old dirt ,but it was interesting to hear that Bowlen may have had them do such a thing because he didn't want to dish out the money!

I doubt there is any truth to it. Bowlen rarely gets involved in personnel decisions and I've never known him to get involved in draft decisions.

jlarsiii
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
All of those AFC West Titles, AFC Championships and Super Bowl titles the Broncos won since 2000 are now void since Cutler and Marshall are gone.

Can be hard to take when our team breaks up a dynasty just like that, huh? :lol:

Ziggy
04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I'd say the majority of Broncos fans feel the same way. The thought is that the 100 catch WR was the one helping us win some games. So I agree, if we have 2 or 3 WR's catch 50 passes and we win 10-11 games, I'm all for it. What if we have 2 or 3 WR's catch 50 passes and we win 4 games though? That's what I'm scared of. Regardless if you have team players, you've got to have TALENT to win. We've gotten rid of 2 of our 4 most talented players over the last year. First Cutler, now Marshall. Soon to be Scheffler too. If this all works out for the better, I'll be thrilled and if it doesn't we'll be the laughing stock of the league unfortunately.

Let's set the line right now Mobster. If the Broncos go 9-7 or better, this team has improved without it's 2 best players and we are headed in the right direction. Agreed?

MileHighCrew
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Because Cutler and Marshall are responsible for the play of Greise, Plummer and all the other players. Thank God John and TD won those championships with no other good players on the team.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM

So is most of the talent on the offensive side of the ball... At least we still have R.C., or for now.

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree with Schefter...

Knowing there's a lot more chapters to this book (aka Portis/Bailey), I think this is a good trade for both teams right out the gate...

...at least so far as Denver getting two second round picks when talented (if not troubled) WRs seemed to be going for next to nothing this year.

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
we are not drafting dez bryant....MCD does not draft any character concern players at all in the reg draft he takes risks in UDFA.....

my guess is we will trade back to get pouncey and get a extra 2nd rd pick.....and then with 1 of the second rd picks combined with a third rd pick will trade up to get arrelious benn or golden tate in late rd 1..., both would be great here BTW....

so essentially it would go

1. Pouncey
1. Golden tate
2. DE Lamar Houston
2. RB Toby Gerhart
4. CB AJ jefferson
6. QB/WR/KR- Armanti Edwards
7. FB matt clap

add in a extra 4th or 3rd for sheffler.....and thats pretty good.....

MileHighCrew
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I wasn't defending the trade for Smith. I never said that.

I was responding to him saying that trading for him may have been directly linked to Bowlen not wanting to put out for two first rounder contracts. He may well be right about Bowlen but I was telling him what i read in the past.

That and I'm not ready to cast my opinion on a player who has had only one year in the NFL. It usually takes much longer for a player to develop into someone worth what the Broncos paid for Smith. I think what the Broncos did do resulted in increasing my expectations based on the value they threw for him, but I'm not about to call a player a bust after one season.

I was only commenting on the trade itself not your opinion of it. Either way I bet all members of this board, Cutler and Marshall supporters and haters alike would be happier with the 11th 14th and 2 second round picks. I would give Smith back for #14

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Sooo.. they were on the team the last 10 years? Getting better players is not the way to move TOWARDS getting to those accolades?? Getting rid of the best players on your team, is not a way to build upon?? So getting RID of talent, and then having to go and replace those talents... to you... makes sense since we didn't win a SB in the last 4 years?

ok

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Because Cutler and Marshall are responsible for the play of Greise, Plummer and all the other players. Thank God John and TD won those championships with no other good players on the team.

WTF are you talking about!?!??!
Baby Cutler and baby Marshall were BOTH present at both Super Bowls, and both Elway and Davis laid there hands on them and uttered prayers before the game giving homage to the football gods.

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:37 AM
we are not drafting dez bryant....MCD does not draft any character concern players at all in the reg draft he takes risks in UDFA.....

my guess is we will trade back to get pouncey and get a extra 2nd rd pick.....and then with 1 of the second rd picks combined with a third rd pick will trade up to get arrelious benn or golden tate in late rd 1..., both would be great here BTW....

so essentially it would go

1. Pouncey
1. Golden tate
2. DE Lamar Houston
2. RB Toby Gerhart
4. CB AJ jefferson
6. QB/WR/KR- Armanti Edwards
7. FB matt clap

add in a extra 4th or 3rd for sheffler.....and thats pretty good.....

I would love this draft if it happened. We'll see. You know my thoughts Benn, I'd prefer him, but Tate has just as much potential IMO as a draftable player with a little more proof in the pudding.

As for scheff...... mmmm I hope we get a 3rd but see a 4th or 5th more likely. Just my take.

Nomad
I doubt there is any truth to it. Bowlen rarely gets involved in personnel decisions and I've never known him to get involved in draft decisions.

Just passing on what was said on ESPN First Take:whoknows:! I forgot the guys name maybe Dave K ??? (he was affiliated with 104.3 the fan) but he said Bowlen wouldn't pay that kind of money for Marshall and is why they traded the #14 pick because he didn't want to pay the price!

rationalfan
people really need to get over that alphonso smith trade. they act like it's the only bad draft day move in the history of the franchise. forget it. that move was just one of many bad decisions from a past denver draft board.

also, this marshall trade indicates something else to me: mcd and xanders won't get fleeced in a trade.

sure, you'll point to the smith situation (but, remember, they had him rated as a first round pick and saw the value as an even deal). though they got two first rounders and kyle orton for a qb everyone knew was going to be traded (thus, lowering trade value). and they got two second rounders for a WR everyone knew was going to be traded. these guys can negotiate a trade for their favor. we should see that as a positive.

now, hopefully, their evaluations of free agent Dlinemen are as astute.

underrated29
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=CoachChaz;947179]I think the way people that are okay with the trade are looking at it is we lost a player that put up inflated numbers

exactly! I love Brandon, but his numbers are way way way way inflated. He is a great WR, but he is only good at YAC. The rest he is just above average. It will be interesting to see how he does in MIAMI.... he wont see nearly that many balls, but I have a feeling because of the ground game he will see more TDs...

I am thinking about 700-900 yards and 12 tds.

**** We will be Drafting Either Dez Bryand or Arreluois Benn**** You can mark that down.

Everyone thinks that Dez will be there at 11, but I am not so sure...There are top 10 teams that could certainly use him, and also some team in the lower teens that might trade up to snag him knowing that we might.

(time to bust out the prediction thread)

BigBroncLove
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I was only commenting on the trade itself not your opinion of it. Either way I bet all members of this board, Cutler and Marshall supporters and haters alike would be happier with the 11th 14th and 2 second round picks. I would give Smith back for #14

So would I.... in a second. Smith of course could prove bot hof us wrong by becoming a huge player, but.... I don't know. I'd prefer to have that #14 back as a fan in the here and now. It will be interesting to see if Haden gets taken at #14 or later. I don't think he will be there at #14, but if he does get taken there or later I'll be comparing Smith with Haden just for #$&*'s and giggles. Hind sight is 20/20 though, and it's easier from an armchair.

D1g1tal j1m
Regardless if you have team players, you've got to have TALENT to win. We've gotten rid of 2 of our 4 most talented players over the last year. First Cutler, now Marshall. Soon to be Scheffler too. If this all works out for the better, I'll be thrilled and if it doesn't we'll be the laughing stock of the league unfortunately.

Agreed that you need talent to win, no question. But the players that we got rid of were all young and to some extent immature. Cutler in Chicago is the same one that played for our Broncos. The Bears F.O. is already feeling the heat and Lovie's job is in jeopardy because is run first philosophy has been scrapped to accommodate Cutler's gunslinger mentality. Marshall is one bad off the field decision away from being handed a multiple game suspension. He played good solider while awaiting his big payday and now that he has gotten it, how will he behave (he is now in Miami, where trouble, vip access to many clubs and a seedy crowd abounds). Sheff pouted when his good friend and off the field party buddy Cutler was shipped off and now he is going to be next. He is a above average pass catching tight end in a system that is implementing a run first offensive system. He is a round peg trying to fit in a square hole.

I can't wait for the Draft when we get bigger and tougher players along the lines and in the "skill" positions. We are gonna get team leaders who will run through walls to get the job done. The players change but the Broncos are more than the individual glory hound players.

(long winded rant over)....

SOCALORADO.
[QUOTE=CoachChaz;947179]I think the way people that are okay with the trade are looking at it is we lost a player that put up inflated numbers

exactly! I love Brandon, but his numbers are way way way way inflated. He is a great WR, but he is only good at YAC. The rest he is just above average. It will be interesting to see how he does in MIAMI.... he wont see nearly that many balls, but I have a feeling because of the ground game he will see more TDs...

I am thinking about 700-900 yards and 12 tds.

**** We will be Drafting Either Dez Bryand or Arreluois Benn**** You can mark that down.

Everyone thinks that Dez will be there at 11, but I am not so sure...There are top 10 teams that could certainly use him, and also some team in the lower teens that might trade up to snag him knowing that we might.

(time to bust out the prediction thread)

Arreluois "stone hands" Benn
Great.

TXBRONC
Just passing on what was said on ESPN First Take:whoknows:! I forgot the guys name maybe Dave K ??? (he was affiliated with 104.3 the fan) but he said Bowlen wouldn't pay that kind of money for Marshall and is why they traded the #14 pick because he didn't want to pay the price!

A lot of us I know that includes you have been following this team for more than a decade does that sound like something that Bowlen would do?

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=underrated29;947329]

Great.

Could he drop more than Marshall did in the first few years?

Nomad
A lot of us I know that includes you have been following this team for more than a decade does that sound like something that Bowlen would do?

I assume not! Though I don't know if Bowlen is a little more micro managing since he has a rookie HC because this is his first stint with a rookie HC or now a 2nd year HC or was Wade a rookie too:confused:! Regardless, it was said and just passing it along for people's takes!!

topscribe
people really need to get over that alphonso smith trade. they act like it's the only bad draft day move in the history of the franchise. forget it. that move was just one of many bad decisions from a past denver draft board.

also, this marshall trade indicates something else to me: mcd and xanders won't get fleeced in a trade.

sure, you'll point to the smith situation (but, remember, they had him rated as a first round pick and saw the value as an even deal). though they got two first rounders and kyle orton for a qb everyone knew was going to be traded (thus, lowering trade value). and they got two second rounders for a WR everyone knew was going to be traded. these guys can negotiate a trade for their favor. we should see that as a positive.

Why are so many already attaching the "bad decision" tag to Alphonso after
one single season? It is universally known that it takes a CB two or three years
to make a significant impact in the league. As BBL said, I am not going to
declare that a bad pick when that pick has not been here for a calendar year . . .

-----

MileHighCrew
So would I.... in a second. Smith of course could prove bot hof us wrong by becoming a huge player, but.... I don't know. I'd prefer to have that #14 back as a fan in the here and now. It will be interesting to see if Haden gets taken at #14 or later. I don't think he will be there at #14, but if he does get taken there or later I'll be comparing Smith with Haden just for #$&*'s and giggles. Hind sight is 20/20 though, and it's easier from an armchair.

Except I said it the day it happened, I agree with you 100%

Lancane
04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=SOCALORADO.;947332]

Could he drop more than Marshall did in the first few years?

He's worse, Benn is more like Braylon Edwards in that department.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=CoachChaz;947360]

I still like the looks of Golden Tate . . .

-----

Lancane
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
one single season? It is universally known that it takes a CB two or three years
declare that a bad pick when that pick has not been here for a calendar year . . .

-----

I agree...the sad thing is that he will likely be breaking into a capable corner while McDaniels is packing his office up.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=CoachChaz;947360]

I'm not advocating that we draft him, but I've seen a lot of Benn. He drops balls, but Edwards style? That's pushing it a bit

underrated29
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=underrated29;947329]

Great.

Not by my choice...But we have brought the guy in what,,,,2 or 3 times now to workout.

That tells me 1 of 2 things..

1- We either really like the guy and want to make sure he is worth a 2nd or moving up to get him, because we want to take someone else with 11

2- That he has not refined skills or whatever. bring him in once, send him on his way, bring him back- no improvement and we go dez.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree...the sad thing is that he will likely be breaking into a capable corner while McDaniels is packing his office up.

Cane, you've got to get over this man-crush of yours for McDaniels . . .

-----

rationalfan
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
I can't wait for the Draft when we get bigger and tougher players along the lines and in the "skill" positions. We are gonna get team leaders who will run through walls to get the job done. The players change but the Broncos are more than the individual glory hound players.

good point. my takeaway is that it seems like so many fans get wrapped up in the glory of the skill position players. yes, they're important. but (from my memory, not checked facts) the majority of super bowl winning teams in the last decade weren't champions because of skill players. they had tough players in the trenches and good defense.

in many ways, the broncos of shanny's final years were like the atlanta hawks of the 80s - full of exciting, talented basketball players who never figured out how to win or play team ball.

underrated29
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
good point. my takeaway is that it seems like so many fans get wrapped up in the glory of the skill position players. yes, they're important. but (from my memory, not checked facts) the majority of super bowl winning teams in the last decade weren't champions because of skill players. they had tough players in the trenches and good defense.

in many ways, the broncos of shanny's final years were like the atlanta hawks of the 80s - full of exciting, talented basketball players who never figured out how to win or play team ball.

Correct. But you should add QB to the list. Good defenses, Great QBs, good trench warfare. QBs are as sorely needed as Trenches.

Lancane
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Cane, you've got to get over this man-crush of yours for McDaniels . . .

-----

Nope, don't think so...

He has to prove more to me then how to destroy a football team before I will accept him or credit him with anything...well, other then being good at trading Pro-Bowl talent.

claymore
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Now lets see them replace the talent.

claymore
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM

-----

Anyone who defends the Smith trade is grasping at straws.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Go back and read my post again, Clay.

My point obviously blew way over your head . . .

-----

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM

...and anyone that declares it a complete bust after one year is premature.

Buff
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM

I agree with both of you. I'm in the "doesn't look very good right now" crowd, but I'll give him a couple more years before I declare it an outright bust.

slim
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree with both of you. I'm in the "doesn't look very good right now" crowd, but I'll give him a couple more years before I declare it an outright bust.

Get off the fence, hippie.

claymore
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Go back and read my post again, Clay.

My point obviously blew way over your head . . .

-----

Just because people disagree with you Top doesnt mean they dont understand what youre saying.

claymore
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Ive Always liked Smith. Its the trade I hate. THe trade is over the top stupid. If you dont understand that then there is no sense in arguing.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Just because people disagree with you Top doesnt mean they dont understand what your saying.

If you understood what I was saying, then I have even less hope for you.

Had you read my post properly, you would not have inferred that I was defending
any one player. I was saying just what Coach just said to you and BBL said a few
posts ago: If you judge a player a bust after a single year, you are judging poorly.

Now, do as I suggested: Go back and read again my post . . .

-----

slim
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Ive Always liked Smith. Its the trade I hate. THe trade is over the top stupid. If you dont understand that then there is no sense in arguing.

Just because people disagree with you doesnt mean they dont understand what you're saying :yo:

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM

He was at the very least suppose to help out on punt and kick returns. If he had been able to do that I would be more comfortable with saying he should get about three years. If shows little to no improvement this year I don't see him making it past this upcoming season.

claymore
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
If you understood what I was saying, then I have even less hope for you.

Had you read my post properly, you would not have inferred that I was defending
any one player. I was saying just what Coach just said to you and BBL said a few
posts ago: If you judge a player a bust after a single year, you are judging poorly.

Now, do as I suggested: Go back and read again my post . . .

-----

I read your post once. I understood it. Its your opinion, and I think your hope for Smith is based off of hope alone.

I Think smith has a chance to be good, but I have no proof of that because he hasnt shown anything good in his one year.

The trade for the 2nd rd pick last year was stupid. we lost value before we even knew who we were going to take with it. We will never have that value back.

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
i got a great idea...im gonna go into work tomorrow and complain i hate my job and the city and i want out, i should expect in a couple months to be in a new city and a millionare.....

glad irresponsibility is rewarded with 50 million dollars....

Lancane
04-14-2010, 12:18 PM
i got a great idea...im gonna go into work tomorrow and complain i hate my job and the city and i want out, i should expect in a couple months to be in a new city and a millionare.....

Doesn't matter now... He's gone and he got his money. The point now, is how does McDaniels fix it so we are not a worse offensively.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Doesn't matter now... He's gone and he got his money. The point now, is how does McDaniels fix it so we are not a worse offensively.

http://www.nytimes.com/images/blogs/thequad/cowboys1.JPG[

HORSEPOWER 56
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/images/blogs/thequad/cowboys1.JPG[

Ten letters....

BUST

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 12:29 PM

But what if he ends up being a Pro-Bowl player? Is trading a 1st round pick for a top DB in today's NFL considered "over the top stupid"?

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Wasn't the guy, the UDFA, that we put in the lineup INSTEAD of Alphonso a rookie? Why would I not consider a player that had a first round pick used on him, that was beat out by an UDFA a 'busted first year' if nothing else? If the UDFA rookie can get in the lineup, why would I not expect Aphonso to? His rookie showing was an absolute bust. DOesn't mean his career will be... but as of right now... his showing was a failure compared to what was used to get him.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I read your post once. I understood it. Its your opinion, and I think your hope for Smith is based off of hope alone.

I Think smith has a chance to be good, but I have no proof of that because he hasnt shown anything good in his one year.

The trade for the 2nd rd pick last year was stupid. we lost value before we even knew who we were going to take with it. We will never have that value back.

Once again, Clay, you are referring to a fact as my opinion. We went through the
same thing on statistics, where I presented a fact, an axiom, and you argued with
it. Now, I stated something that is accepted unanimously throughout all of
football: You cannot judge a draft choice, especially at certain positions (such as
CB) after one single year. That is my one single solitary point. That is not an
opinion. That is a commonly accepted fact.

I was not fond of that trade. But that was not my point. Get it now?

-----

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Wasn't the guy, the UDFA, that we put in the lineup INSTEAD of Alphonso a rookie? Why would I not consider a player that had a first round pick used on him, that was beat out by an UDFA a 'busted first year' if nothing else? If the UDFA rookie can get in the lineup, why would I not expect Aphonso to? His rookie showing was an absolute bust. DOesn't mean his career will be... but as of right now... his showing was a failure compared to what was used to get him.

I'll agree with that part

Lancane
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I'll agree with that part

What if McDaniels makes a similar move this draft, trading next year's number one for a second this year, or one of our seconds for a third?

Elevation inc
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
What if McDaniels makes a similar move this draft, trading next year's number one for a second this year, or one of our seconds for a third?

that would piss me off

Nomad
04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

They'll jut send your ass back to the United States!!:D

Lancane
04-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Ten letters....

BUST

:confused: B-1, U-2, S-3, T-4... Ummm, unless core math has really changed since my college days that is only four.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
:confused: B-1, U-2, S-3, T-4... Ummm, unless core math has really changed since my college days that is only four.

Plus 6 when this happens

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/5/0/1/c/ea.JPG?WLSource=yardbarker.com&adImageId=11139652&imageId=3332383

Northman
04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Plus 6 when this happens

http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/5/0/1/c/ea.JPG?WLSource=yardbarker.com&adImageId=11139652&imageId=3332383

You must really hate this guy.

LTC Pain
04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Bryant has maturity/self-discipline issues (B. Marshall 2.0???) that bother me.

In a recent ESPN interview, Bryant seems to communicate at about the sixth grade level. That bothers me.

The fact that Bryant has Parker as an agent (It's all about me!!!) bothers me.

I'd pass on Bryant at #11 because the O-line (trenches) needs to be addressed first. Partcularly center where the Broncos did not address the need in free agency. But if the Broncos do take Bryant at #11, I will support him until he gives me reason not to.

As for A. Smith, the fat lady has definitely not sang yet concerning his development or ability as an NFL player. I'm expecting more this upcoming season.

weazel
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM

The 1st rounder back would be great but I would give Gullum back for the 2nd round spot we picked him at... heck, give us a 3rd!

claymore
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
But what if he ends up being a Pro-Bowl player? Is trading a 1st round pick for a top DB in today's NFL considered "over the top stupid"?

The trade is still stupid. Nothing erases that. If Smith goes to the HOF the trade was still a stupid move.

We didnt trade the #1 for a "top DB in today's NFL". We traded it for an unproven rookie in the 2nd round.

Nomad
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Here's a piece from Todd McShay! BTW, I stole it from a guy at BM!:shhhh:

__________________________________________________ _______

Bryant isn't the right fit in Denver
April, 14, 2010 Apr 14 11:31AM
By Todd McShay, Scouts Inc.

For the second year in a row the Denver Broncos have traded one of their most productive players for valuable draft picks. Last year, it was quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears and this year it is Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second round pick (No. 43) this year and another second rounder in 2011. The initial reaction of many is that Miami got the better end of the bargain. I would disagree. Sure, they are giving up a Pro Bowl wide receiver, but when Josh McDaniels was winning Super Bowl rings with the Patriots the "go-to receivers" were guys like Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Patten. Randy Moss helped QB Tom Brady and the offense set a handful of records, but the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since trading for Moss. The Broncos have dealt away two extremely talented players in Cutler and Marshall in less than a two-year span, but in doing so they've also dealt away the two biggest headaches on the roster.

With Brandon Marshall in Miami, Denver needs a receiver. But is Dez Bryant the right fit?
The Broncos are looking for players to fit their specific schemes and people that fit their culture. That much has been established, which is why I'm convinced Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is not the right match at pick No. 11 overall -- assuming, of course, he's still on the board. This is a crucial, but exciting time in Denver and you could make a strong case that the Broncos get the better end of this deal, even though they are giving up a Pro Bowl wide receiver.

With the right team, Bryant could be a special player, but he needs a veteran receiver to guide him. He doesn't have as much baggage as Randy Moss did when he entered the NFL, but Bryant needs someone like Cris Carter to be his mentor. Right now, he isn't surrounding himself with the best people and there are concerns about his self discipline.

Plus, history is not on the Broncos side if they decided to take a shot on Bryant. Over the past decade, 14 receivers have been taken in the top-10 overall, but only three have lived up to their potential and become superstars -- Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Of the remaining 11, only two are adequate starters -- Braylon Edwards and Roy Williams -- and for every Fitzgerald there are twice as many Mike Williams and Koren Robinsons.

I would much rather see the Broncos draft the best player available that fits their need in the first round. Players like ILB Rolando McClain, S Earl Thomas or even reaching for G Mike Iupati or C Maurkice Pouncey make more sense than taking Bryant. Then they could capitalize on the strong group of second-round receivers and take Illinois WR Arrelious Benn or Notre Dame's Golden Tate with pick 43 or 45.

In what appears to be one of the deeper talent pools in many years, the Broncos (with four picks in the top 80 overall) join the Patriots, Eagles and Browns as teams in best position to cash in on this very deep draft.

topscribe
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
The trade is still stupid. Nothing erases that. If Smith goes to the HOF the trade was still a stupid move.

We didnt trade the #1 for a "top DB in today's NFL". We traded it for an unproven rookie in the 2nd round.

Clay, as I said, I was not happy with the trade when it happened.

But aren't all rookies unproven at the time they are drafted? :noidea:

-----

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Here's a piece from Todd McShay! BTW, I stole it from a guy at BM!:shhhh:

__________________________________________________ _______

Bryant isn't the right fit in Denver
April, 14, 2010 Apr 14 11:31AM
By Todd McShay, Scouts Inc.

For the second year in a row the Denver Broncos have traded one of their most productive players for valuable draft picks. Last year, it was quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears and this year it is Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second round pick (No. 43) this year and another second rounder in 2011. The initial reaction of many is that Miami got the better end of the bargain. I would disagree. Sure, they are giving up a Pro Bowl wide receiver, but when Josh McDaniels was winning Super Bowl rings with the Patriots the "go-to receivers" were guys like Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Patten. Randy Moss helped QB Tom Brady and the offense set a handful of records, but the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since trading for Moss. The Broncos have dealt away two extremely talented players in Cutler and Marshall in less than a two-year span, but in doing so they've also dealt away the two biggest headaches on the roster.

With Brandon Marshall in Miami, Denver needs a receiver. But is Dez Bryant the right fit?
The Broncos are looking for players to fit their specific schemes and people that fit their culture. That much has been established, which is why I'm convinced Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is not the right match at pick No. 11 overall -- assuming, of course, he's still on the board. This is a crucial, but exciting time in Denver and you could make a strong case that the Broncos get the better end of this deal, even though they are giving up a Pro Bowl wide receiver.

With the right team, Bryant could be a special player, but he needs a veteran receiver to guide him. He doesn't have as much baggage as Randy Moss did when he entered the NFL, but Bryant needs someone like Cris Carter to be his mentor. Right now, he isn't surrounding himself with the best people and there are concerns about his self discipline.

Plus, history is not on the Broncos side if they decided to take a shot on Bryant. Over the past decade, 14 receivers have been taken in the top-10 overall, but only three have lived up to their potential and become superstars -- Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Of the remaining 11, only two are adequate starters -- Braylon Edwards and Roy Williams -- and for every Fitzgerald there are twice as many Mike Williams and Koren Robinsons.

I would much rather see the Broncos draft the best player available that fits their need in the first round. Players like ILB Rolando McClain, S Earl Thomas or even reaching for G Mike Iupati or C Maurkice Pouncey make more sense than taking Bryant. Then they could capitalize on the strong group of second-round receivers and take Illinois WR Arrelious Benn or Notre Dame's Golden Tate with pick 43 or 45.

In what appears to be one of the deeper talent pools in many years, the Broncos (with four picks in the top 80 overall) join the Patriots, Eagles and Browns as teams in best position to cash in on this very deep draft.

I got all the way to here- By Todd McShay

Jaws
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Sharkies Kid ( I forget his name) is happy as hell today.

The Finster will be pretty excited when I tell him!

Buff
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Conventional wisdom says trading a 2nd for a first is always a bad move... I'm with you there. But if he turns into a HOFer then you praise the Broncos for having that kind of foresight. You can't be so stubborn that you won't change your position if proven wrong. Highly unlikely at this point, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

dogfish
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
*sighs*

At least it's done.

looks to me like this is all setting up for dez bryant to inherit that mantle. . .

hell, at least half of me wants us to draft dez just because it'll be amusing watching JR have to decide between defending the coach he loves so much, and expressing his hatred for drafting wide receivers. . . . :laugh:

underrated29
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
looks to me like this is all setting up for dez bryant to inherit that mantle. . .

hell, at least half of me wants us to draft dez just because it'll be amusing watching JR have to decide between defending the coach he loves so much, and expressing his hatred for drafting wide receivers. . . . :laugh:

That would be comical!

But if we draft Dez, within two years people will be saying Brandon WHO? This kid is going to be that Good!

Northman
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
That would be comical!

But if we draft Dez, within two years people will be saying Brandon WHO? This kid is going to be that Good!

Maybe. Too early to say.

claymore
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Once again, Clay, you are referring to a fact as my opinion. We went through the
same thing on statistics, where I presented a fact, an axiom, and you argued with
it. Now, I stated something that is accepted unanimously throughout all of
football: You cannot judge a draft choice, especially at certain positions (such as
CB) after one single year. That is my one single solitary point. That is not an
opinion. That is a commonly accepted fact.

I was not fond of that trade. But that was not my point. Get it now?

-----

Your axiom argument is a weak ass way of losing an argument Top. You couldnt admit that Campbell has had a better career than Orton. Your axiom comparison is ******* gay.

Trading a #1 pick for a 2nd round pick is widely accepted as stupid.

Oh... And there is no way to prove your single solitary point. Kinda like an axiom... Get it?

claymore
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Clay, as I said, I was not happy with the trade when it happened.

But aren't all rookies unproven at the time they are drafted? :noidea:

-----

Yes. Thats what makes the trade so ridiculous.

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000TF2H5f65uqQ/s

Kiss him, Northman. do it. You know you want to.

Northman
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000TF2H5f65uqQ/s

Kiss him, Northman. do it. You know you want to.

If he plays well without the headaches i will personally get Clay to wash his balls weekly. You have the Northman guarantee. :salute::lol:

topscribe
04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Your axiom argument is a weak ass way of losing an argument Top. You couldnt admit that Campbell has had a better career than Orton. Your axiom comparison is ******* gay.

Trading a #1 pick for a 2nd round pick is widely accepted as stupid.

Oh... And there is no way to prove your single solitary point. Kinda like an axiom... Get it?

Clay, that is what you did not, and do not, understand: I did not present an argument.
I never said Orton has had a better career or that Campbell has had a better career.

I only presented a basis upon which such an argument should be based. Which
makes the entire issue, regardless of which side you are on, baseless and invalid.

And now, you are flying in the face of commonly accepted facts in the NFL, that
a draft class cannot be properly judged after a single year.

Wow, Clay, you're my bud, but get a clue . . .

-----

SOCALORADO.
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
If he plays well without the headaches i will personally get Clay to wash his balls weekly. You have the Northman guarantee. :salute::lol:

Well, we will need video of that!!!
Actually, maybe still shots would be best......
Wonder if Clay will pose...

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 02:02 PM

now you just gave me reason to root for Bryant at 11 :lol:

Overtime
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
stupidity reigns once again in the Denver front office. a pair of second round picks won't equal the talent and skill Marshall brought to the position.

******* idiots.

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
stupidity reigns once again in the Denver front office. a pair of second round picks won't equal the talent and skill Marshall brought to the position.

******* idiots.

I repeat...ONE 4th round pick brought Marshall's "talent" here, but two 2nd rounders cant?

Pessimism rules!!!!

Northman
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Ignore is such a beautiful thing.

Broncolingus
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes. Thats what makes the trade so ridiculous.

Oh, c'mon, Clay...you don't remember this?

I'm just spitballing here, but if I had to take a guess, I bet Marshall will be traded to Miami on or about April 14, 2010 for two-second round picks (unconditional) and the result of that will be a continued (but spirited and entertaining) split/rift in Broncos Forums members regarding Marshall, McDaniels, Politics, and a lot of other shit-n-stuff...

...unless it's interior design, womens fashions, or programming on Lifetime, I just go with whatever Lingus says...

:D

broncobryce
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

******* idiots.

No one knows that yet. Marshall himself was a fourth round pick, and outplayed most of the receivers picked ahead of him. It's possible we get two players who are better than him, but that story is yet to be told.

MNPatsFan
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Broncos fans probably don't care what I think, but I don't think there is any chance that the Pats would trade up to the Broncos current draft position, let alone trade their 22nd and 44th picks to do so. Pats don't want to draft that high and pay the enormous salary presently required.

If the Pats wanted to draft high in this years draft and pay the required enormous salary, they would have taken the Faiders #1 pick this year, instead of next year when they are anticipating a rookie salary cap or slotting system.

Just my :2cents:

Now you can tell me to mind my own business, stick to non-Broncos dedicated forums on here and/or flame me.:laugh:

Overtime
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
No one knows that yet. Marshall himself was a fourth round pick, and outplayed most of the receivers picked ahead of him. It's possible we get two players who are better than him, but that story is yet to be told.

that's like saying we'll find a receiver better than Jerry Rice. :tsk:

Lancane
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Broncos fans probably don't care what I think, but I don't think there is any chance that the Pats would trade up to the Broncos current draft position, let alone trade their 22nd and 44th picks to do so. Pats don't want to draft that high and pay the enormous salary presently required.

If the Pats wanted to draft high in this years draft and pay the required enormous salary, they would have taken the Faiders #1 pick this year, instead of next year when they are anticipating a rookie salary cap or slotting system.

Now you can tell me to mind my own business, stick to non-Broncos dedicated forums on here and/or flame me.:laugh:

Me...flame you? Not a chance, not with a hottie like that for an avatar...I praise you!

topscribe
04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Me...flame you? Not a chance, not with a hottie like that for an avatar...I praise you!

The post, Cane, read the post . . .

-----

topscribe
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
that's like saying we'll find a receiver better than Jerry Rice. :tsk:

That thought entered my mind. Rod Smith, for instance, wasn't even drafted, and
the Broncos could not find another like him until Marshall.

How long is it going to take this time? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thhuh.gif

-----

Nomad
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM

More than likely, you're right, but if it were to happen I'd be thrilled hoping McD/Xanders would make the most out of the picks!

CoachChaz
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Even if we get a guy that can handle 70 receptions a game and the running game improves and the passing is spread out...who cares? We dont NEED another Brandon Marshall

dogfish
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM

enh. . . nobody should flame you for that. . .

matter of fact, i'm confident that you're probably right. . . i think the talk about new england trading up is just daydreaming-- the pats like to trade DOWN, not UP. . .

Lancane
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
The post, Cane, read the post . . .

-----

Oops, I knew I forgot to do something! :D

TXBRONC
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
enh. . . nobody should flame you for that. . .

matter of fact, i'm confident that you're probably right. . . i think the talk about new england trading up is just daydreaming-- the pats like to trade DOWN, not UP. . .

Didn't they trade up to take Maroney? If they did that's the only time I can recall them doing so.