PDA

View Full Version : Grade your teams performance

sanluis
09-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I was just curious what kind of grades you guys would give the opening day performances.

over all offense
oline
te
wr
rb
fb
qb

over all D
dline
lbers
corners
safeties

Special teams

Coaching

I did not get to see all of Denver's game so your insights would be appreciated.:salute:

topscribe
09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
over all offense C+ - Fourth quarter heroics brought it up from a D.

oline B- - Sometimes A, sometimes D. But Henry's 139 speaks well for them.
te B+ - Good blocking throughout.
wr A- - A couple drops, but when they caught, great work. And what a block by Marshall! :shocked:
rb A - Henry and Young: nothing to mess with.
fb B - Sapp did a credible job.
qb B - When he was good, he was phenomenal. Two dumb mistakes brought it down from an A.

over all B - Started out a D, but what a finish!
dline B - See above.
lbers B- - Williams and Webster were an A, but Gold was a D.
corners A Bailey and Bly did their thing, and Shoate held up well for the injured Foxworth.
safeties A - They were a big part of shutting down the passing game . . . and that blitz! Wow! :woot:

Special teams C - D until the game winning FG . . . maybe the best single play I have ever seen.

Coaching C+ - Generally good, but I believe they could have hammered with Henry a bit more.

Good thread, SanLuis.

-----

BigBroncLove
09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I was just curious what kind of grades you guys would give the opening day performances.

over all offense
oline
te
wr
rb
fb
qb

over all D
dline
lbers
corners
safeties

Special teams

Coaching

I did get to see all of Denver's game so your insights would be appreciated.:salute:

Oline - B- ... maybe a C+ : They performed well, stopping Schobel from getting a sack all game, and from allowing to much pressure to bleed through. I've certienly seen worse performances. At the same time, run blockign seemed hap hazard, and there were times it seemed Cutler had to hurry his throws to avoid the pressure coming at him. Overall, better then I expected, but not nearly good enough to expect them to hold up against Pittsburgh/Indy/or SD's Dlines.

TE - B+ - Good looking job by Grahham blocking ,and on the few 2 TE sets, you could see better run blocking ahead. Still would of liked the TE to be more involved in the passing threat, which is why they don't have an A, but toherwise I felt Graham and company did a great job.

RB/FB - A - Henry and Young both did a good job. Both ran well, and Young made a really heady play by knocking that lateral pass out of bounds. Henry did well with what blocking he had ahead of him, and made some great gains when he did have the lanes to drive on, drive on. I also liked how the RB's and FB's picked up the blitz.

QB - B - Cutler did a great job of engineering those drives when the Broncos needed it, but also made a lot of rookie mistakes, and sloppy decisions. However, his accuracy and arm strength were looking great for a season opener, and 308 yards speak for itself. I think Cutler did an excellent job despite the growing pains, which are to be expected.

WR - A - Great job all around in getting open, breaking tackles, and finding the holes in the opposing defense. The Wr's did a great job, every one of them Stokley, Marshall, and especially Walker all had great days, and early on against two of the better young safeties in the league. Two thumbs up!

Defense

DT - C+ - I liked the gap control and how they held on to the players, but they didn't react as well as I would have hoped, and they should have done better in closign those gaps against the run IMO. I know Bates system with the Broncos has switched to a more one gap approach with his personel and putting even more responsibility on the Bronco LB'ers in comparison to his days in Miami, but overall, I felt the DT's could hav picked it up more.

DE - B- - I liked some of the pressure they created. Rice and Dumerville both looked good, and Engleberger made great plays to help broken plays, but there wasn't the amount of pressure I was hoping from this group. I think against hte Bills OFfensive line, while they have a great lineup, have had troubles geling as a unit through preseason, and it showed today IMO, but I felt the DE's could have done mroe, even though they looked far mroe impressive then they ever did last season IMO.

LB - C - Terrible terrible start to the day IMO. If it wasn;t for the blitz by DJ and the loss of 13 yards, that first Bilsl drive would have likely ended ina TD the way things were progressing. They did a so-so job at best at bottling up Marshawn Lynch, until the end of the game that is, and there was some poor tackling, especially by Gold. They certienly improved as the game progressed, but I want to see them do more out of the gates. A good enough job ot get it done, but simply average IMO.

CB - A++ - Shutting down the passing game like they did, and the way Bly and Bailey attacked the run as well, excellent day by the Corners. Couldn;t ask for much more really. They did so well. I didn't like that they yanked Foxworth for Shoate, but otherwise an extremly impressive day for the Bronco CB's.

Safeties - A - A good job. Both Lynch and Furgeson swarmed to the ball and handled their coverage assignments well. Especially Lynch, who made his presence extremely well known o nthe sack, even though he was un-abated by any Bills blocker. OVerall, I was very impressed, and with the Broncos CB's playing as impresively as they did, I hope to see more freedom taken with the safeties to produce not only pressure, but big blinding hits on WR's to force incompletions and fumbles :D.

Overall Grade for the Broncos - B- - It was a sloppy game that ended in a W. There were many things to build off of, but also a great many mistakes made by both units. There's ground to be made to get this team humming, but overall I like the way things are headed :D

sanluis
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Good thread, SanLuis.

Thanks Tops!

Henry put up some great numbers and so did Jay. The way Jay led you guys and kept his cool was very impressive.

( dam it) :D

KCL
09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
A BIG FAT.....

F

we lost!
And they looked ridiculous while they were losing :doh:

sanluis
09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Oline - B- ... maybe a C+ : They performed well, stopping Schobel from getting a sack all game, and from allowing to much pressure to bleed through. I've certienly seen worse performances. At the same time, run blockign seemed hap hazard, and there were times it seemed Cutler had to hurry his throws to avoid the pressure coming at him. Overall, better then I expected, but not nearly good enough to expect them to hold up against Pittsburgh/Indy/or SD's Dlines.

TE - B+ - Good looking job by Grahham blocking ,and on the few 2 TE sets, you could see better run blocking ahead. Still would of liked the TE to be more involved in the passing threat, which is why they don't have an A, but toherwise I felt Graham and company did a great job.

RB/FB - A - Henry and Young both did a good job. Both ran well, and Young made a really heady play by knocking that lateral pass out of bounds. Henry did well with what blocking he had ahead of him, and made some great gains when he did have the lanes to drive on, drive on. I also liked how the RB's and FB's picked up the blitz.

QB - B - Cutler did a great job of engineering those drives when the Broncos needed it, but also made a lot of rookie mistakes, and sloppy decisions. However, his accuracy and arm strength were looking great for a season opener, and 308 yards speak for itself. I think Cutler did an excellent job despite the growing pains, which are to be expected.

WR - A - Great job all around in getting open, breaking tackles, and finding the holes in the opposing defense. The Wr's did a great job, every one of them Stokley, Marshall, and especially Walker all had great days, and early on against two of the better young safeties in the league. Two thumbs up!

Defense

DT - C+ - I liked the gap control and how they held on to the players, but they didn't react as well as I would have hoped, and they should have done better in closign those gaps against the run IMO. I know Bates system with the Broncos has switched to a more one gap approach with his personel and putting even more responsibility on the Bronco LB'ers in comparison to his days in Miami, but overall, I felt the DT's could hav picked it up more.

DE - B- - I liked some of the pressure they created. Rice and Dumerville both looked good, and Engleberger made great plays to help broken plays, but there wasn't the amount of pressure I was hoping from this group. I think against hte Bills OFfensive line, while they have a great lineup, have had troubles geling as a unit through preseason, and it showed today IMO, but I felt the DE's could have done mroe, even though they looked far mroe impressive then they ever did last season IMO.

LB - C - Terrible terrible start to the day IMO. If it wasn;t for the blitz by DJ and the loss of 13 yards, that first Bilsl drive would have likely ended ina TD the way things were progressing. They did a so-so job at best at bottling up Marshawn Lynch, until the end of the game that is, and there was some poor tackling, especially by Gold. They certienly improved as the game progressed, but I want to see them do more out of the gates. A good enough job ot get it done, but simply average IMO.

CB - A++ - Shutting down the passing game like they did, and the way Bly and Bailey attacked the run as well, excellent day by the Corners. Couldn;t ask for much more really. They did so well. I didn't like that they yanked Foxworth for Shoate, but otherwise an extremly impressive day for the Bronco CB's.

Safeties - A - A good job. Both Lynch and Furgeson swarmed to the ball and handled their coverage assignments well. Especially Lynch, who made his presence extremely well known o nthe sack, even though he was un-abated by any Bills blocker. OVerall, I was very impressed, and with the Broncos CB's playing as impresively as they did, I hope to see more freedom taken with the safeties to produce not only pressure, but big blinding hits on WR's to force incompletions and fumbles :D.

Overall Grade for the Broncos - B- - It was a sloppy game that ended in a W. There were many things to build off of, but also a great many mistakes made by both units. There's ground to be made to get this team humming, but overall I like the way things are headed :D

Thanks!! I did notice Marshawn Lynch had a good day. It suprised me a little!

sanluis
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
A BIG FAT.....

F

we lost!
And they looked ridiculous while they were losing :doh:

Hi KClady!!
I have TG on my fantasy team and he is getting benched! Not that it was his fault but he didn't put up any numbers for me!!:tsk:

So every area was a F?!!! :eek:

KCL
09-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi KClady!!
I have TG on my fantasy team and he is getting benched! Not that it was his fault but he didn't put up any numbers for me!!:tsk:

So every area was a F?!!! :eek:

well I can give an A to Colquitt....he is the only one on the team
that did a good job!

The whole fricking team fell apart...Tony dropped a pass and also
got a OPI call...:mad:

too many TOs and penalties! :rant: <----------KCLady

sanluis
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
:bump:

Let's hear your opinions!

BroncoWave
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Offense:

QB: B+ Made a few dumb mistakes but was pretty accurate for the most part and led one of the best 2 minute drills I have seen in a while.

RB: A. Henry was a beast in this game and Young did well in limited time.

WR: A- Our Wrs did a pretty good job of getting open all day. There was a drop or 2 but they were pretty solid overall. They also blocked well on running plays. And that TD my Marshall... :shocked:

TE: B+ Graham is a great blocker and also had a good catch or 2.

OL (run): B. Our run blocking was pretty solid as seen by Henry's #s.

OL (pass): C. Cutler was pressured alot which led to some stupid mistakes. Also Nalen did a horrible job snapping to Culter in the shotgun. Every damn one of them was low.

Overall: B- We moved the ball well inside the 20's but we just couldn't seem to punch it in. We really should have scored alot more than 15 points.

Defense:

DL: C+ They played ok. The pass rush was average at best and they were about average in stopping the run.

LB: B- DJ and Webster get A's but Gold's sorry game drops the LB corps to a B- overall.

DB: A+ The lone A+ of the game. We absolutely shut down their passing game and the DBs also were good in run support.

Overall: B- The defense was good but they missed WAY too many tackles. If Bates can teach these guys to tackle, this defense will be SCARY!

Special Teams:

Kick and punt return and coverage: F. We were horrible in kick and punt returning and we let Parrish take one, and nearly two to the house on us.

FG team: B- Would have been a D but that last second FG was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my 10+ years of watching football.

Overall Team Grade: B- We got the win, which was nice, but we still have a lot of improving to do. If we can somehow fix our tackling and special teams, this will be a team to be reckoned with!

HORSEPOWER 56
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM

over all offense - (C) Good at racking up yardage, but fell apart in scoring position.
oline - (B) Did well enough for the offense to rack up 450+ yards on offense, but the holding call on the last drive almost cost us the game.
te - (B) Good blocking but really didn't add a lot as receiving threats.
wr - (B) Made clutch catches near the end of the game, but dropped some that cost us points.
rb - (A) Ran hard all game. Good pass protection/blitz pickup...NO FUMBLES!
fb - (C) Non factor. Didn't hurt or help really.
qb - (B) Cutler was clutch when it counted and showed a lot of poise for a noob.

over all D - (B) allowed some big plays in the run game that kept drives alive for Buffalo.
dline - (C) applied some pressure, but couldn't seem to get it done without help from the blitz.
lbers - (C-) Allowed too many yards on the ground and teams with good running games like SD, KC, and Indy would've rushed for 150+.
corners - (A) As expected, they didn't get a lot of work. Showed why they are regarded as the top tandem in the league.
safeties - (C) Run support is 50% Safety's job. The didn't really help much in this area. Did okay vs the pass.

Special teams - (D-) Except for the last play of the game, these guys were awful. You can't give up a TD on a punt return. Champ bailey should NOT be playing STs and covering kicks, but he made 2 TD saving tackles. Blocking on kick and punt returns was atrocious as usual. If it wasn't for the game winning FG which was a great play/effort they would've received a solid F-.

Coaching - (C) Moving the ball wasn't an issue until we got inside Buffalo's 40. A ton of drives stalled just inside/outside the red zone. I don't care who you're playing, you just can't leave points on the field like that. We didn't make the necessary adjustments to improve in the redzone and really take advantage of all the yards we were chewing up on offense. I like that Shanny kind of "dropped the leash" on Cutler a little and let him throw the ball around, but there were some series that we just didn't run enough. Two straight passes leading to a long third down attepmt and a 3 and out was just too common. The defense got the job done and manned-up when they needed to. They weren't "dominant" but they did shut down buffalo's ability to move the ball throught the air and took away the deep ball which is their bread-and-butter with smaller/faster guys like Evans and Price.

Team Overall - (C+) played well when it mattered most and got the "W". Shouldn't have been as close as it was, especially with the Bills suffering from so many devastating injuries.

I did not get to see all of Denver's game so your insights would be appreciated.:salute:

That about sums it up. :ballchain: