PDA

View Full Version : My experience on Sept 10, 2007

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
This morning I went to WalMart with a list of things I needed. One item was winterizer fertilizer. So, I headed back to the area WalMart uses for their garden shop. They did have some winterizer fertilizer, but not the brand I was looking for.

BUT, the area was already half full of Christmas items, with Christmas songs ALREADY playing.

Let's see - fall does not start until September 23rd, Halloween is a little over a month and a half away, Thanksgiving is a little over two and a half months away, and Christmas is a little over three and a half months away.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY - MONEY - MONEY

Escobar
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
NEVER too early to get me my christmas present, carol :laugh::laugh:

SR
09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
That's why Christmas has lost its appeal to me...that and my family always made the holidays so awful you wanted to drive in to a lake...but it has become a consumer's holiday...aside from the deeply religious, it really has lots all of its meaning. Quite sad.

Jody
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Funny you posted this. I went to Cracker Barrell with my parents last night and daughter. Ever been there? They have old-time candy and a gift shop that is really unique....so it's fun to eat there and look around.

Anyhow, my mom asked my dad to buy her this Christmas music box that played 25 carols and 25 classics and had a snow scene below that had ice skaters.

I've become accustomed to the earliness of the marketing. Obviously, my mom has too, suddenly when she saw this beautiful music box.

Don't let everyone else ruin the meaning of Christmas or the enjoyment of Christmas....when you are an adult....you re-invent how it's to be celebrated within your own life and family.:D

It's funny how when you are out in the stores, all these items you see, one after another and the music, just becomes noise and blurs. Yet, when you decorate in your home and you decide it's time to begin the season, it all becomes a lot more meaningful, suddenly, it's Christmas!

SR
09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I haven't enjoyed Christmas since my early teens. :tsk:

Jody
09-10-2007, 02:20 PM

I went through a few years when I was about your age where family was too heavy and took away from Christmas for me, instead of making it feel a little more like the season of love and family.

I had a couple Christmas' with my friends vs my family, and that was amazingly meaningful! Then I began to miss my family again, and lower my expectations of what THEY should be like on the holidays, and just started concentrating on how I should behave or feel about the holidays. Suddenly, Christmas time improved when in my family's company.

Now, I have my own family, and I still have to be considerate of my other family members, but there's a piece of the holidays....that is just how I had hoped it would be when I was in my teens and younger....for my daughter.

SR----You have the power to change things!

BigBroncLove
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I love Christmas. I don't buy into all the consumer BS, and generally don't buy Christmas trees since they became popular because queen Victoria (of England) started hoisting them in her palace, which made them all the rage, which is why we cut down trees needlessly now IMO.....

However, I celebrate it as a time to give and do what you can for others. Volunteer work and helping the needy are a great way to use some of your days leadign to the Christmas holiday, and there is always a surge of needed goods whether they are blankets, coats, food, or money to the poor and needy. Something I doubt we would have without Christmas. So while there are many abd thigns about it, a lot of good comes from ti as well.

I just miss the days when my bank account got larger, not smaller, from presents. Always so many people to hand presents out to.

To bad to hear about all those trees though Native. They shouldn't be cutting them down so early IMO...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

SR - I totally agree with HW. You have your own family now, and you can make Christmas for them wonderful, and let them know both the true meaning of Christmas, as well as the beautiful and fun meaning of Christmas.

GRLSLUVFTBL2
09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
You know what else is a bummer? That they put all of the XMAS Specials on DVD/Video. When I was little that was the best part is getting to stay up a little past bedtime so you wouldn't miss Frosty or Rudolph because back then they only played once! And usually on a Wednesday night when you had to go to church (Mom let us skip those nights!). They have serious lost they're lustre of coming on and my kids could care less, which really bums me out because this is one of my favorite things to look forward to. eat dinner, get in pj's, make some cocoa and watch Rudolph. Just not the same...

Watchthemiddle
09-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Besides the true meaning of Christmas I used to not get too excited about it either...that is until I had children.

My girls are 6, 4, and 2 years old. There is nothing like seeing them during this.....errrr...that time of year.

AlWilsonizKING
09-10-2007, 11:24 PM
You were at Wal(we treat employees like crap)Mart?!?!

PEACE!!!

Chica_Ang
09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
This morning I went to WalMart with a list of things I needed. One item was winterizer fertilizer. So, I headed back to the area WalMart uses for their garden shop. They did have some winterizer fertilizer, but not the brand I was looking for.

BUT, the area was already half full of Christmas items, with Christmas songs ALREADY playing.

Let's see - fall does not start until September 23rd, Halloween is a little over a month and a half away, Thanksgiving is a little over two and a half months away, and Christmas is a little over three and a half months away.

ayeyiyi!!! did you feel like vomiting? :laugh:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Christmas has became a capitalists dream and a true Christian's nightmare. I've always enjoyed the gifts and traditions my family has for Christmas, but too many people have lost sight about what it's truly about. Sort of sad, and sort of ironic you're hearing this from an atheist, but that's just my feeling. I always make an effort to go to Christmas (usually the Eve) for service just to go and pay respects and honor Jesus Christ.

Uncle Buck
09-11-2007, 12:55 AM
This morning I went to Wal-Mart with a list of things I needed. One item was winterizer fertilizer. So, I headed back to the area WalMart uses for their garden shop. They did have some winterizer fertilizer, but not the brand I was looking for.

:confused:

Oh, so THAT’S the reason why everyone is lamenting—“God, where has the year gone?!”

Once upon a time, it was only the older folks who uttered such useless phrases. The younger set had all the time in the world, time being relative and all…

But… NOW (and it all started a few decades ago)…

Wanna rush out and buy a snow thrower during the current season’s last wicked February blizzard? WRONG, Toro breath! These beasts were already on “close-out” to make space for this Spring’s Home and Garden department in January!

Planned your summer vaca late? Waited until after Memorial Day to purchase that bitchin’ summer bikini, with visions of the Bahamas on your mind? BUZZZZZZZZ, GLF breath! You’d better shop online, E-bay lady, as summer attire has already been way picked over in local stores!

Let’s face it. Stores stock a quarter in advance. So, your kid needs an underwater snorkel, or a new set of fins. While you’re still enjoying that inflatable swimming pool (which you purchased from Wal-Mart in April, if you’d planned ahead), by mid summer it is ALREADY “back-to-school” time. [Back-to-school is among the WORST in rushing the seasons in the minds of kids currently engaged in enjoying the summer…’cept for parents who can hardly WAIT to getting’ ‘em back to where someone else is watching ‘em for 8 hours a day.]

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas? May as well be the same event/holiday. By “back-to-school” standards (beginning in July), the fall/winter events are only a blur.

And you should have purchased that Toro snow thrower at Home Depot’s close-out sale, the January before.

And they wonder why Americans are neurotic??? :confused:

SR
09-11-2007, 01:45 AM
I went through a few years when I was about your age where family was too heavy and took away from Christmas for me, instead of making it feel a little more like the season of love and family.

I had a couple Christmas' with my friends vs my family, and that was amazingly meaningful! Then I began to miss my family again, and lower my expectations of what THEY should be like on the holidays, and just started concentrating on how I should behave or feel about the holidays. Suddenly, Christmas time improved when in my family's company.

Now, I have my own family, and I still have to be considerate of my other family members, but there's a piece of the holidays....that is just how I had hoped it would be when I was in my teens and younger....for my daughter.

SR----You have the power to change things!

Probably. It was more hectic the past three years being married and trying to split time between both sides of the family. It gets ridiculous. there's so much stress and chaos that it makes the family thing uber hard to enjoy.

SR
09-11-2007, 01:46 AM
SR - I totally agree with HW. You have your own family now, and you can make Christmas for them wonderful, and let them know both the true meaning of Christmas, as well as the beautiful and fun meaning of Christmas.

Ehem...I'm in the process of a divorce, so that whole scenario is changing. I'll be in AZ for my son's first birthday (Dec 19th) and for X-mas, but it won't be the same.