PDA

View Full Version : Foxworth signs on for '08

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm glad about this. I hope Foxy remains a Bronco for good....the dude is quality and has leadership...not to mention a good cb.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8997195

Foxworth signs on for '08
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/20/2008 11:42:48 PM MDT

Even if there wasn't an offer sheet from another team, restricted free agency boosted the value of Domonique Foxworth.

The Broncos' cornerback signed his tender this weekend that will pay him a one-year, $927,000 salary for the 2008 season, or roughly double what he made in 2007.

"Not bad at all. I'll take it," Foxworth said.

If he does, Foxworth might have even greater leverage as an unrestricted free agent after this season.

A third-round draft pick in 2005, Foxworth has started 18 games in his three seasons with the Broncos.

As a restricted free agent, Foxworth had the chance to sign with another team providing that team was willing to surrender a third-round draft pick to the Broncos. No team was would make that trade by the time the restricted free agency period expired Friday.

GEM
04-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm glad about this. I hope Foxy remains a Bronco for good....the dude is quality and has leadership...not to mention a good cb.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Even if there wasn't an offer sheet from another team, restricted free agency boosted the value of Domonique Foxworth.

The Broncos' cornerback signed his tender this weekend that will pay him a one-year, $927,000 salary for the 2008 season, or roughly double what he made in 2007.

If he does, Foxworth might have even greater leverage as an unrestricted free agent after this season.

A third-round draft pick in 2005, Foxworth has started 18 games in his three seasons with the Broncos.

As a restricted free agent, Foxworth had the chance to sign with another team providing that team was willing to surrender a third-round draft pick to the Broncos. No team was would make that trade by the time the restricted free agency period expired Friday.

Isn't Foxy a refreshing sight in today's NFL...wish there were a few more that had some of his characteristics.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Isn't Foxy a refreshing sight in today's NFL...wish there were a few more that had some of his characteristics.

imo, i think he is just as good as dre bly and at only 900k this year you cant really complain.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I think Foxworth will show he can be a starter in this league and he will make it easier for us to trade or push out Bly or Champ in 2009 - 2010

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I think Foxworth will show he can be a starter in this league and he will make it easier for us to trade or push out Bly or Champ in 2009 - 2010

id love to see someone offer two 1st rounders for champ.

honz
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
YAY! Me likey Foxworth.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Foxworth may not look the part, but he is a willing tackler and I love that about him at the cornerback position. In today's NFL you have to have at the very least a decent taclking cornerback. Wide receivers are getting huge. A lot of the best wideouts are very good after the catch and it is very important that you not only cover them tight, but be able to bring them down after the catch.

GEM
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Foxworth may not look the part, but he is a willing tackler and I love that about him at the cornerback position. In today's NFL you have to have at the very least a decent taclking cornerback. Wide receivers are getting huge. A lot of the best wideouts are very good after the catch and it is very important that you not only cover them tight, but be able to bring them down after the catch.

It's nice that as you described that WR, out of all of them in the NFL, the first one that came to mind was Marshall. :D

Timmy!
04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
If they put him at safety, I'm going to bang my head against the wall over and over and over......

Bronco9798
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I like Foxworth. Good deal to have him around next year!!!

JONtheBRONCO
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I like the deal... But please, lets stop the talk here, right now, about pushing Champ out... I don't care about the reasons, or age, or whatever, I'd like to see Champ a Bronco the rest of his career. He still has plenty left, and is arguably the best CB in the league.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I like the deal... But please, lets stop the talk here, right now, about pushing Champ out... I don't care about the reasons, or age, or whatever, I'd like to see Champ a Bronco the rest of his career. He still has plenty left, and is arguably the best CB in the league.

you wouldnt wet the bed for TWO 1st rounders??? we already have foxy and bly...this would help the team. i think champ is second to none but i think bowlen would personally walk bailey to the grey hound station if someone offerd that deal.

Nature Boy
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Apparently no one else thinks he is good enough to give up so less and so small a salary for his services. Good News for the Broncos. He's our #3 CB. we need the depth. Hopefully he doesn't make Reggie Wayne's highlight video on ESPN this year.

JONtheBRONCO
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
you wouldnt wet the bed for TWO 1st rounders??? we already have foxy and bly...this would help the team. i think champ is second to none but i think bowlen would personally walk bailey to the grey hound station if someone offerd that deal.

No way.

Nature Boy
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
id love to see someone offer two 1st rounders for champ.

No way.

That is crazy talk. But should team make that offer, Mike Shanahan and the whole BroncoNation would have to seriously sleep on it.

omac
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Just trying to gauge .....

Would you be confident of Foxworth covering a very strong #2, like they have in Cincy, Arizona, Detroit?

LoyalSoldier
04-22-2008, 07:24 PM
People are talking about Foxy as if he is a proven probowler.....I like the guy, but some of this talk is just nonsense.

I am happy with our corner situation and no need to ruin it. If we ever get a front 4 that can be a factor in a game then our corners will have a field day.

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Thanks for the update Den. I'm glad that we'll have Foxworth for at least one more year because he does provide solid depth.

At this point however, I don't think he'll be a Bronco for the rest of his career. He wants to start and unless Bly or Bailey is gone by next season I don't see him signing a long term contract to remain a Bronco.

Nature Boy
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
At this point however, I don't think he'll be a Bronco for the rest of his career. He wants to start and unless Bly or Bailey is gone by next season I don't see him signing a long term contract to remain a Bronco.

He wants to start but I don't think he is a starting caliber CB. If he were, someone would have signed him already for a measly 7th rounder and a pretty lousy contract.

I think Foxworth wants to stay in Denver and once he is done, I think the guy has aspirations to be the NFLPA executive director.

Just trying to gauge .....

Would you be confident of Foxworth covering a very strong #2, like they have in Cincy, Arizona, Detroit?

nope.

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
with the pacman deal going south for the cowboys....i wonder if they will try and deal for one of our cbs come draft day.

champ: two 1st rounders

or

bly: second rounder

or

foxy: high 3rd rounder

not that id like to see any of those guys go but...it would be nice to get any of the above scenarios.

shank
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
He wants to start but I don't think he is a starting caliber CB. If he were, someone would have signed him already for a measly 7th rounder and a pretty lousy contract.

I think Foxworth wants to stay in Denver and once he is done, I think the guy has aspirations to be the NFLPA executive director.

he was a 3rd round tender, and i wouldn't say that all bets are off at this point. a lot could go down this weekend.

i think he could start if he would just be able to play at cb. we are retarding his development just like we have been doing to dj, and it's the reason i think both players will be gone the second they get the chance.

Nature Boy
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
he was a 3rd round tender,

That's right. That year we drafted 3 CBs out the 2nd-3rd round. got my stats mixed for a minute.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I hope Ryan is drafted before Bmore is up and we can tempt em into taking Foxxy and a 4th for a draft pick swap so we can take Ellis before Cincy does.

Lonestar
04-22-2008, 11:29 PM
While he may be a stellar guy he will never be a stellar CB in the NFL and
average one at best..IMO

got beat like a rented mule against quality QB's playing nickle..

Most to the teams in the league need CB's if they were smart they would have gladly give up a #3 for a starter IF HE WAS ONE..

Most of the Coaches in the NFL know what they are doing.. that is why he is still a bronco. they rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes..

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM

nope.

I think it had more to do with the fact Denver had a 3rd round tender on him.

shank
04-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I hope Ryan is drafted before Bmore is up and we can tempt em into taking Foxxy and a 4th for a draft pick swap so we can take Ellis before Cincy does.

i agree, i think it's best if ryan goes to atl.

long to st louis
gholston to oak
albert to kc
mcfadden to nyj
pats would probably take dorsey if he fell this far :mad: even though it doesn't make much sense...

the farther the DTs fall, the more i like our chances at nabbing one. and with jake long off the board, the remaining OTs stocks rise and someone ahead of us might just reach for one? idk

Nature Boy
04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I think it had more to do with the fact Denver had a 3rd round tender on him.

Agree. and he sucks.

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
i agree, i think it's best if ryan goes to atl.

long to st louis
gholston to oak
albert to kc
mcfadden to nyj
pats would probably take dorsey if he fell this far :mad: even though it doesn't make much sense...

the farther the DTs fall, the more i like our chances at nabbing one. and with jake long off the board, the remaining OTs stocks rise and someone ahead of us might just reach for one? idk

I don't know Shaw, they are awfully long in the tooth at linebacker. I think there is good chance that they take Rivers with their pick.

Lonestar
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Agree. and he sucks.

Well I would not quite go that far but probowler he will not be.. Put a great DLine and set of LB's in front of him with a good deep safety and he will be a good one..

shank
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't know Shaw, they are awfully long in the tooth at linebacker. I think there is good chance that they take Rivers with their pick.

i agree that they could be best taking either a LB or CB as it's their true needs, but everyone is so adamant that the pats will draft solely on BPA, and if dorsey is there at 7, they have no option if they seek to adhere to that policy.

also, rivers is the only one there remotely worthy of a pick that high and he's best suited to be a 4-3 Will...

if they did go a diff direction, then that would leave baltimore free to get CB help in mckelvin or cromartie and cincy would win the dorsey prize.

all of this could mean we only have to jump ahead of NO to get ellis, but i don't think it's all that likely, just a pipe-dream.

and st. louis is said to be very interested in dorsey at 2, so i'm starting the whole scenario off with an assumption that they won't take him because they drafted carriker last year.

Nature Boy
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Well I would not quite go that far but probowler he will not be.. Put a great DLine and set of LB's in front of him with a good deep safety and he will be a good one..

You know, if I played along side a great D-Line, an establish set of Linebackers and a good safety playing deep, I too would be a good one every time. Only way I can get beat if the QB drops a 1 in 10 ball in the perfect spot.:elefant:

omac
04-23-2008, 06:03 AM

nope.

Me neither. He needs to show something spectacular, or he'll always be the backup.

Ziggy
04-23-2008, 10:14 AM
No teams wanted him for a 3rd, and there's some teams out there that are desperate for another corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos try to use him to trade up in a round. Right now his value is slim, so he would basically be little more than a throw-in on a trade.