PDA

View Full Version : Plain and simple, what do you want to see happen Saturday?

vtroper
04-21-2008, 07:51 AM
As it stands now Denver has two first day picks, #12 overall in the 1st round and #42 overall in the second round.

What scenerio would make you most happy and what would make you least happy?

(Please if you're projecting trades, make them realistic, none of this, let's give St Louis a 6th rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year to move up to #2 overall.) :-)

Personally, I'd like to see Denver give up their 1st and 2nd rounders and get a 3rd in return to move into the Top 8 for a shot at Sedrick Ellis OR move down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder. (Note: going off the trade chart, trading down to around 15-16 will net us another 3rd rounder. Trading down to 20 or lower could likely net us a 2nd rounder or a future #1) Sitting tight and drafting where we are seems to be a bit of a no man's land as far as I'm concerned.

If we stay at 12, I hope Ryan Clady's there as I'm not 100% sold on Chris Williams or Jeff Otah. If we are serious about a RB, it seems like we could move down a few spots and still get the guy we want.

If we trade down, I'd be good with Mendenhall or Stewart later in the 1st. In the second, I'd love to get Kenny Phillips as I've seen some mock drafts project him to still be there and Trevor Laws interests me. I also think Eddie Royal is just what the Dr ordered for us in terms of our return game. Granted I think the 42nd pick is too early to take him, so getting him at a good value would likely require a trade to acquire a later 2nd rounder or a 3rd.

What would everyone else like to see?

BeefStew25
04-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Trade down to get more picks for depth.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Trade down to get more picks for depth

Bronco9798
04-21-2008, 08:07 AM
A nice sunny day. Temperatures in the high 70's to low 80's.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Mendenhall, Cherilius/Lofton, Guion/Bryant/Rubin (2 of the 3) in the 4th round.

I'd love to trade down for the right price.

Nomad
04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
A nice sunny day. Temperatures in the high 70's to low 80's.

That would really be nice because my sons have baseball tryouts from 1400 to 1730 and of all days, Draft Day.

Shanny make some solid choices for the needs of the team! Anything to make the team better!

Ziggy
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Hire AJ Smith to make our picks for us.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Hire AJ Smith to make our picks for us.

We don't give props to rival teams for drafting in the top 10 every year. Your on the wrong board:D:beer:

D1g1tal j1m
04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
They pick the best available player at #12. Pick for need in the second.

I will sit back on my couch with drink in hand and watch it all unfold in front of me on my massive 25 inch non-plasma, non-lcd, non-hd tv.

The Glory!

Watchthemiddle
04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Draft smart.

:coffee:

honz
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Only take an OT if they feel that they are getting a bona-fide stud, otherwise take Stewart (most likely BPA at 12) or trade down.

In other words...don't **** it up!

tubby
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Todd Blythe gets drafted by Denver. Well, maybe not on Sat. But Sunday for sure.

:salute:

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Todd Blythe get drafted by Denver.

Tubby your love for Blythe is beautiful. Isn't it funny how some people on this site are afraid to express their man love on a player. I hope Denver draft Todd not only because he is a good sleeper pick, but I know it will make your happy. :D

NameUsedBefore
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
World peace to descend upon this world/appearance of a god/Broncos draft a OT or DT.

tubby
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Tubby your love for Blythe is beautiful. Isn't it funny how some people on this site are afraid to express their man love on a player. I hope Denver draft Todd not only because he is a good sleeper pick, but I know it will make your happy. :D

Thanks Boss. I really do love him. I revised my post. I love him on Sunday more than Saturday.

Someone is going to get a good WR. He is huge and has great hands. :cool:

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I want to see Denver trade Travis Henry and/or Mike Bell and pick up an elite back in this years draft as well as load up on OL and DL talent, this way we have great odds of fixing the trenches as well as the running game which will provide Culter and the Broncos a stable foundation for the future and allow us to focus on linebacker, safety, and wide reciever in next years off season.

turftoad
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
If we stay were we're at:

1) Chris Williams
2) Curtis Lofton
4) Best available DT
4) Best available DT
The rest) Depth at OL, S and a kicker.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
id like us to trade down and pick up the cowboys 22 and 28th picks. then draft rb stewart and maybe ot gosder cherilus. if we stay put then ryan clady has to be our choice at 12.

then we MUST get a deal done for robertson on sunday!

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I want to see Denver trade Travis Henry and/or Mike Bell and pick up an elite back in this years draft as well as load up on OL and DL talent, this way we have great odds of fixing the trenches as well as the running game which will provide Culter and the Broncos a stable foundation for the future and allow us to focus on linebacker, safety, and wide reciever in next years off season.

i dont know if anyone is going to trade for mike bell now. we should have just taken a 7th last year for him and no team is going to trade for travis with all of his baggage. henry is actually more valuable to us ON the team and hopefully ON the field.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Trading down would be nice but if we stay, I'd like us to get an OL or DL in the first round. (Preferably Clady if he's still there) The worst case scenario would be for us to get a RB. Please don't do it Shanny!

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Trading down would be nice but if we stay, I'd like us to get an OL or DL in the first round. (Preferably Clady if he's still there) The worst case scenario would be for us to get a RB. Please don't do it Shanny!

yeah, you will think that till you see Clady play.... which would be sometime in 2010 or 2011 when he actually knows the playbook.

honz
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Just say NO to Clady! Clady is bad for your health.

Drill-N-Fill
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I just don't want any reaches in the 2nd round. I hate it when i'm like :doh:

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I will tell you what I don't want, but can see happening.........The trading of D.J. Williams

BigDaddyBronco
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
First of all I want my daughter to have a wonderful 1st birtday party!

Then I would either like to see is the Broncos trade down for a later 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a 1st rounder next year (the safties and MLB's next year look really good right now). If that didn't happen then I would like to see them trade up to get Sedrick Ellis. If neither of those happen, I don't care unless they draft someone too high then I might throw a shoe at the TV.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I will tell you what I don't want, but can see happening.........The trading of D.J. Williams

If Keith Rivers were on the board at #12, I could see that happening too...

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
What I want to see happen:

Ideally, the Broncos find a trading partner and end up getting an extra selection (hopefully a third) out of it -- but can still nab someone they thought of highly, and would be good value.

I do not want to see the Broncos draft a defensive tackle early. They are slow to adapt to the NFL, and they offer almost no immediate impact. I want them to pass on the defensive tackles, including the top dogs Dorsey and Ellis -- we cannot afford to trade up that high. However, if the Broncos see someone available in the third round that they had rated very highly and can get them by packaging some of our day two selections, I'm cool with that.

I'd like to add an offensive tackle and running back into the mix. As well as a linebacker and another receiver, preferably one who can do well on returns. Bringing in a late-round kicker or a UDFA would be nice, because Prater needs competition; same for the punting position as well.

#1, #2, #4, #4, #5, #5, #6, #7, #7.

I'd love to see two OL picks.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a running back.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a receiver.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a linebacker.

The rest is just gravy. Special teams, etc. Let's do this.

BeefStew25
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM

I guess now is when we would get the most value for him. Kinda like Portis a little.

turftoad
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
What I want to see happen:

Ideally, the Broncos find a trading partner and end up getting an extra selection (hopefully a third) out of it -- but can still nab someone they thought of highly, and would be good value.

I do not want to see the Broncos draft a defensive tackle early. They are slow to adapt to the NFL, and they offer almost no immediate impact. I want them to pass on the defensive tackles, including the top dogs Dorsey and Ellis -- we cannot afford to trade up that high. However, if the Broncos see someone available in the third round that they had rated very highly and can get them by packaging some of our day two selections, I'm cool with that.

I'd like to add an offensive tackle and running back into the mix. As well as a linebacker and another receiver, preferably one who can do well on returns. Bringing in a late-round kicker or a UDFA would be nice, because Prater needs competition; same for the punting position as well.

#1, #2, #4, #4, #5, #5, #6, #7, #7.

I'd love to see two OL picks.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a running back.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a receiver.

I'd like to see a top four pick on a linebacker.

The rest is just gravy. Special teams, etc. Let's do this.

I don't have a problem with this scenerio however, what does that do for our 28th ranked run "D"???

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't have a problem with this scenerio however, what does that do for our 28th ranked run "D"???

Obviously Denver thinks having a new linebackers corp will help, and they brought in some safeties who have some nice run support skills. I think the Broncos will hope that their defensive line will continue to improve and get better; and I still think that we'll deal for Robertson. Robertson offers true immediate impact at defensive tackle (even with his knees, I think it's an overblown scenario, considering he doesn't miss many games) -- a rookie won't. A rookie at DT is a long-term project nine times out of ten. That's why you saw teams trading for proven players and were avoiding this class of defensive tackles.

The earliest I'd touch a DT would be with our fourth rounder, even if that included a trade down. It's just not worth it this year.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM

I doubt that gets fixed this year. The DT class isn't very deep and there aren't a ton of 2-gap defenders available. The biggest impact we could have in the run game is probably grabbing an ILB to replace Niko next year.

In rounds 4-6 there are a number of intriguing options like Athyba Rubin, Red Bryant, Letroy Guion, and Nick Hayden. Others have argued Marcus Harrison and Frank Okam could be solutions as well. If we take a pair of these talents, the impact probably won't be felt until midway through 2009. We can improve in the run game this year, but we aren't going to be dominant for at least another 2 years. Our neglect for youth at DT over the past several years has finally caught up with us in a bad way.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I doubt that gets fixed this year. The DT class isn't very deep and there aren't a ton of 2-gap defenders available. The biggest impact we could have in the run game is probably grabbing an ILB to replace Niko next year.

In rounds 4-6 there are a number of intriguing options like Athyba Rubin, Red Bryant, Letroy Guion, and Nick Hayden. Others have argued Marcus Harrison and Frank Okam could be solutions as well. If we take a pair of these talents, the impact probably won't be felt until midway through 2009. We can improve in the run game this year, but we aren't going to be dominant for at least another 2 years. Our neglect for youth at DT over the past several years has finally caught up with us in a bad way.

That's how I see it as well. Good thoughts.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Obviously Denver thinks having a new linebackers corp will help, and they brought in some safeties who have some nice run support skills. I think the Broncos will hope that their defensive line will continue to improve and get better; and I still think that we'll deal for Robertson. Robertson offers true immediate impact at defensive tackle (even with his knees, I think it's an overblown scenario, considering he doesn't miss many games) -- a rookie won't. A rookie at DT is a long-term project nine times out of ten. That's why you saw teams trading for proven players and were avoiding this class of defensive tackles.

The earliest I'd touch a DT would be with our fourth rounder, even if that included a trade down. It's just not worth it this year.

I have a mock in my sig similar to what you want minus the receiver you are looking for.

Stargazer
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm kinda disappointed day 1 is only two rounds. Even though Denver doesn't have a 3rd round pick, which could change by draft day, I prefer the 3 rounds on day 1.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I have a mock in my sig similar to what you want minus the receiver you are looking for.

I'd get rid of Okam because he's made it clear he doesn't want to play football and replace him with a receiver or another defensive tackle. I'd also probably replace the third OL and do something different -- like go linebacker. Otherwise, I think that's a pretty good draft.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd be ok with that.... I like Okam more than most... but as for the OL thing, I figure that Zuttah or Baker could always slide to Center when Nalen retires and the other of this battle would project as the other starting tackle. Shawn McMackin projects as a very good OG and gives us not only some depth but insurance if Holland or Hamilton go down or if we have to use Kuper at tackle.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Okam is a bum. Bryant was a team captain and he's a smart kid. Most draft pundits don't like him because his bench reps were anemic. Watching him on tape, its clear to me that his bench press is not endemic of his lower-body strength. I think Bryant is head-to-toe better than Okam. Okam has all the talent in the world, but he's not going to work hard enough to succeed in the NFL.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Okam is a bum. Bryant was a team captain and he's a smart kid. Most draft pundits don't like him because his bench reps were anemic. Watching him on tape, its clear to me that his bench press is not endemic of his lower-body strength. I think Bryant is head-to-toe better than Okam. Okam has all the talent in the world, but he's not going to work hard enough to succeed in the NFL.

Now that comment was about a useful as a fart in a space craft.:D Thanks for dogging my 4th round DT.:beer:

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Now that comment was about a useful as a fart in a space craft.:D Thanks for dogging my 4th round DT.:beer:

No problem! I like the 4th round DT strategy, I'm just not an Okam lover (like many).

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Shanahan is going to take Letroy Guion at the top of round 4. He's everything Shanny likes in a player. He'll take at least a year to develop, but he's got Ellis-like upside. He's arguably the only DT available after pick #10 that has the ability to play the 2 or 3 technique.

If I were going to bet money on one player that I was sure Shanahan will draft on Saturday, Guion is it.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I like Guion, and almost have to since I'm a Florida State fan -- but I'm not sure where the "He's everything Shanahan likes in a player." comes from. Could you elaborate on this?

lex
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Boss, Okam does really well in the class room and has spoken about other intersests outside of football. It just doesnt seem like he's THAT into football.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I like Guion, and almost have to since I'm a Florida State fan -- but I'm not sure where the "He's everything Shanahan likes in a player." comes from. Could you elaborate on this?

Plays in an elite conference. He's a great bull rusher and run stuffer. Can play the 2-technique on run downs and shoot the gap on passing downs. He's motivated, injury free, shows no character flags. He uses his hands well and has a great wingspan. He has the height to add more size.

Guion's technique is a little raw and he's very young. These things are coachable. His combination of strength, athleticism, and resolution are not coachable. Shanahan tends to look for 'diamond in the rough' type players that he thinks he can develop into franchise type players (like Marcus Thomas).

Guion is arguably a better talent and a safer bet than Thomas (because he has no character flags) who can be had for the same price. Plus, Guion takes nothing away from the pass rush yet he's among the more capable run stuffers available in any round this year. How teams covet Balmer and yet rate Guion a 4th rounder is perplexing to me.

The alternative would be an NT-type 2 gap tackle. Shanahan has never had much success with these types. I think Guion is easily the most palatable option for what Denver needs. I think Shanahan will draft a Rubin, Bryant, or Okam out of need, but I think guys like Guion and Hayden are going to really stand out on his draft board. Fluellen wouldn't be a big surprise either.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Boss, Okam does really well in the class room and has spoken about other intersests outside of football. It just doesnt seem like he's THAT into football.

I like smart football players and his size and athletic ability are awesome. I think he will be a great football player. :D

lex
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Plays in an elite conference. He's a great bull rusher and run stuffer. Can play the 2-technique on run downs and shoot the gap on passing downs. He's motivated, injury free, shows no character flags. He uses his hands well and has a great wingspan. He has the height to add more size.

Guion's technique is a little raw and he's very young. These things are coachable. His combination of strength, athleticism, and resolution are not coachable. Shanahan tends to look for 'diamond in the rough' type players that he thinks he can develop into franchise type players (like Marcus Thomas).

Guion is arguably a better talent and a safer bet than Thomas (because he has no character flags) who can be had for the same price. Plus, Guion takes nothing away from the pass rush yet he's among the more capable run stuffers available in any round this year. How teams covet Balmer and yet rate Guion a 4th rounder is perplexing to me.

Thomas was almost universally considered to be a first round talent. The concern over character is what made him fall, not talent. To say Guion has more talent than someone with a first round grade is kind of a big statement. I can see what youre saying with the character concerns but youre losing me on the more talent part.

lex
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I like smart football players and his size and athletic ability are awesome. I think he will be a great football player. :D

I like smart football players too provided theyre not also indifferent football players. Thats the concern with Okam.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM

I think that Guion was involved in the academic scandal at FSU, but I may be wrong. That's the only concern I've really heard on him as far as character goes; but yes - I do like him. Much better than Fluellen, but I was really surprised he came out. Had he stayed, I think he could have been a potential first-rounder.

The only thing that really bothers me with Guion (outside being raw) is his mental capacity for the game. He struggled mentally at FSU; and I think he'll continue to struggle in the NFL -- but if he gets dedicated to studying film and taking criticism from coaches seriously at the pro level, I think he can be a real good player. Like I've said in regards to other players. Physically he has it all, mentally the kid is lacking and that's one of the reasons he's probably ranked a little lower than others because coaches and GM's realize how important it is to have guys who can come in and make an impact right away and learn the scheme. For me, Guion's not going to be that type of player -- and the mental aspects is what are probably keeping him down.

That's expected though, and the improvements as you alluded to in regards to technique and stance adjustment can certainly be taught; however there's a certain mental capacity for football some people have or don't -- and I'm not sure if Guion will ever be able to have "it" - at a consistent and needed level. We'll see though.

I'd love him here, but as you mentioned -- big developmental guy.

I'd also disagree with you saying Guion was a better talent (or is) in comparison to Thomas. I think you're coupling in character concerns to make that assessment, which is certainly fair -- but as a player and what he did on the field, it's really not comparable. Thomas, prior to suspension was on an absolute clinic. He was playing like a man possessed. Then again, that's what drugs do to you. Make you possessed!

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Thomas was almost universally considered to be a first round talent. The concern over character is what made him fall, not talent. To say Guion has more talent than someone with a first round grade is kind of a big statement. I can see what youre saying with the character concerns but youre losing me on the more talent part.

Thomas also slipped because he had a pulled hamstring at the combine and harly participated. Pick your poison, combine results or pro day results, Guion outperformed Thomas across the board (the lone exception is bench reps in which Thomas did 27 and Guion did 26).

On film, Guion is equally as impressive. The knock on him would be that his technique is very inconsistent. This isn't all the unexpected given that Guion only has 13 starts. This also means his mileage is low. I think Guion is every bit as good as Thomas without all the baggage.

lex
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Thomas also slipped because he had a pulled hamstring at the combine and harly participated. Pick your poison, combine results or pro day results, Guion outperformed Thomas across the board (the lone exception is bench reps in which Thomas did 27 and Guion did 26).

On film, Guion is equally as impressive. The knock on him would be that his technique is very inconsistent. This isn't all the unexpected given that Guion only has 13 starts. This also means his mileage is low. I think Guion is every bit as good as Thomas without all the baggage.

I disagree. Thomas was an absolute wrecking ball especially in big games like against Tennessee.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I think that Guion was involved in the academic scandal at FSU, but I may be wrong. That's the only concern I've really heard on him as far as character goes; but yes - I do like him. Much better than Fluellen, but I was really surprised he came out. Had he stayed, I think he could have been a potential first-rounder.

The only thing that really bothers me with Guion (outside being raw) is his mental capacity for the game. He struggled mentally at FSU; and I think he'll continue to struggle in the NFL -- but if he gets dedicated to studying film and taking criticism from coaches seriously at the pro level, I think he can be a real good player. Like I've said in regards to other players. Physically he has it all, mentally the kid is lacking and that's one of the reasons he's probably ranked a little lower than others because coaches and GM's realize how important it is to have guys who can come in and make an impact right away and learn the scheme. For me, Guion's not going to be that type of player -- and the mental aspects is what are probably keeping him down.

That's expected though, and the improvements as you alluded to in regards to technique and stance adjustment can certainly be taught; however there's a certain mental capacity for football some people have or don't -- and I'm not sure if Guion will ever be able to have "it" - at a consistent and needed level. We'll see though.

I'd love him here, but as you mentioned -- big developmental guy.

I'd also disagree with you saying Guion was a better talent (or is) in comparison to Thomas. I think you're coupling in character concerns to make that assessment, which is certainly fair -- but as a player and what he did on the field, it's really not comparable. Thomas, prior to suspension was on an absolute clinic. He was playing like a man possessed. Then again, that's what drugs do to you. Make you possessed!

I agree. The only point I'd differ on is that I think Guion's struggles are attributable more to his inexperience than his lack of effort. When he executed effectively, I think he was the top DT in college football in 2007. He was technically very inconsistent, however.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I agree. The only point I'd differ on is that I think Guion's struggles are attributable more to his inexperience than his lack of effort. When he executed effectively, I think he was the top DT in college football in 2007. He was technically very inconsistent, however.

the top DT!? :confused: Did you watch any LSU games?

also I would like to add... Pat Sims is this years Marcus Thomas.......meaning could of been a 1st round talent, but because of character issues......no longer a 1st round talent.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM

also I would like to add... Pat Sims is this years Marcus Thomas.......meaning could of been a 1st round talent, but because of character issues......no longer a 1st round talent.

Sims is a pure 3-technique tackle. He'll play end sooner than he'll cover 2 gaps. I love the guy, but he doesn't fix our running game woes. If we took Sims, he'd battle Thomas for the same starting position. I'm not necessarily saying thats a bad thing, only that it doesn't address our primary need.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM

okam is great value in the 4th! i would love it if we took him there...

tubby
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
So where does Marcus Harrison go? He would be a good pick in the 4th.

That's 3 guys Mo.

Davii
04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I would just like to see my plane leave North Carolina early enough to get me HOME in time for the draft.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Plain and simple, what do you want to see happen Saturday?

I'd like to get laid :coffee:

tubby
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Plain and simple, what do you want to see happen Saturday?

I'd like to get laid :coffee:

I think it has been established that there is nothing simple at all about that.

:huh:

hamrob
04-22-2008, 12:54 AM
1st round: Albert, Mendenhall, Stewart, Williams...in that order
2nd round: Cherilus, Laws, Phillips, Lofton...in any order

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 01:36 AM

i dont want anymore people on the team with character issues. we have enough of those already.

BeefStew25
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
By Mark Wogenrich | Of The Morning Call
April 22, 2008

On a glorious December day in Miami Beach, five days before the 2006 Orange Bowl, Austin Scott was talking about Willie Parker. Here was this unknown from North Carolina who rushed for 1,202 yards for the Steelers in 2005 (and ultimately became a Pro Bowl back).

Scott, who had rushed for just 273 yards that season, said he could relate.

''What you do in college,'' Scott said then, ''really doesn't determine what you do in the pros.''

If that's so, the former Penn State running back just might get a fresh start with the NFL after all. After the Centre County district attorney dropped all charges against him last Friday, Scott and his agency team began their final, emphatic press toward this weekend's NFL draft.

It remains a longshot, which his agent, Chris Lencheski of the Bethlehem-based SKI & Co., acknowledges. More likely, Lencheski will be negotiating free-agency contracts for Scott come Monday.

''A lot of times what happens in a general sense is, the player doesn't get drafted, he becomes a free agent and then you're looking at little risk for the team,'' said Charlie Casserly, the former Houston Texans general manager who is now an analyst for the NFL Network. ''You give him a couple thousand bucks, you sign him, maybe you hit a home run like like [Buffalo All-Pro lineman] Jason Peters.''

With what Lencheski said NFL scouts called the ''character issues'' resolved, Scott now can be part of the discussion among NFL teams. Penn State coach Joe Paterno said he would help Scott by making calls to NFL contacts on his behalf.

Scott also is beginning to appear on some teams' late-round chalkboards. The Dallas Cowboys are scheduled to conduct a private workout with Scott on Thursday at TEST Sport Clubs in Martinsville, N.J., and five other teams have asked where Scott and his team will be Sunday.

''I'm hoping to hear my name be called Sunday,'' Scott said last week. ''I'm praying to God. Hopefully, he'll answer my prayers again.''

Scott, a Parkland High graduate who is scheduled to graduate from Penn State next month, still has some convincing to do. His best single-season rushing total is 436 yards, with only four career 100-yard games and four with 20 or more carries. With no NFL combine or all-star games appearances, Scott has little videotape to show prospective teams.

But then there's his performance at Penn State's Pro Day on March 18. Scott, weighing 223 pounds, did 27 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press and ran a 4.58 40-yard dash, numbers that appealed to scouts. In fact, times in two of his drill times (the 20-yard shuttle and three-cone) were better than any back who ran at the February NFL combine.

Though Scott did have an extra month to prepare -- he did combine training at TEST Sports Clubs with other NFL draft hopefuls -- he also faced the prospect of the Pro Day being his only chance. And at the time, the rape and sexual assault charges still were pending.

''Was he venting some frustration? Perhaps,'' Lencheski said. ''But our phones starting ringing after that day.''

Lencheski and Al Leonzi, the former Kutztown University football coach now advising Scott, are attempting to position Scott as a ''sleeper'' late-round pick for teams in need of running backs. They have lists of teams with sixth- and seventh-round picks (some multiple because of compensatory selections) that need backfield depth.

In addition, they have cross-checked those with salaries of third- and fourth-string backs whom teams might consider releasing should a cheaper option become available.

''Physically, Austin's in the best shape he has ever been in, and he has done everything we've asked of him regarding the workouts,'' Leonzi said. ''I still think he's the best running back I've seen play in the state of Pennsylvania. That has to count for something.''

Leonzi has some draft experience, notably with former Kutztown stars John Mobley and Andre Reed. In 1995, a Denver Broncos scout came to a Kutztown game to watch Mobley, left early and never called back. Leonzi figured the Broncos weren't interested.

At the 1996 draft, Leonzi was called backstage, where he took a call from then-Denver coach Mike Shanahan: The Broncos were selecting Mobley as their No. 1 pick (15th overall).

''Somewhere in those late rounds,'' Lencheski said, ''someone is going to take the sleeper pick of the decade and choose Austin.''

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Austin Scott fumbles ALOT, he lost his job to Tony Hunt and Rodney Kinlaw so that should tell you something about his motivation.

BeefStew25
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Austin Scott fumbles ALOT, he lost his job to Tony Hunt and Rodney Kinlaw so that should tell you something about his motivation.

I just saw the mention of Mobley. I didn't even read what position the guy in the article played.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
So where does Marcus Harrison go? He would be a good pick in the 4th.

That's 3 guys Mo.

Marcus Harrison was honorable mention in my "best value DT's" article. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him. He's not the run stuffer we need, but he's got the skills to be a great DT in the NFL. I think he'll be gone in round 3 though, so I doubt we get him.

My mistake, my eyes read Marcus Harrison but my mind said "DeMarrio Pressley." Harrison is absolutely a 4th rounder and would be a great fit for Denver if he didn't have so many character flags.

r8rh8r
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
1st round: Albert, Mendenhall, Stewart, Williams...in that order
2nd round: Cherilus, Laws, Phillips, Lofton...in any order

I like your round 2 list, with the exception of Laws. Here is what I wrote about him in my DT analysis:

At 6'0" 301 lbs, Laws isn't getting any bigger. In his present condition, I don't believe he possesses the lower body strength to be effective from the interior in the NFL. Laws doesn't show the ability to anchor the line or bull rush his opponent to collapse the pocket. As a 3-technique player, Laws doesn't have elite speed. He's a technically impressive player with great lateral agility, he plays with passion, and he's a likable guy. Unfortunately, I don't see him developing into an elite defensive tackle in the NFL. If he lost 30 lbs and pushed his 40-time into the 4.6 range, I'd think he could play inside linebacker. Given that he's skyrocketing into the late first round, he's a very poor value in my book.

Obviously, the Laws euphoria didn't catapult him into the first round. He's got chicken legs and is going to get overpowered in the NFL. I don't think he'll stick.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I want to trade back w/ Minnesota or Philly and draft Kenny Phillips. That's what I want the most.

Buff
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I'll get into more detail as we get closer to... But let me just say I really hope we don't take Laws... The last thing we need is an undersized DT to compliment undersized Dumervil and undersized Engelberger (Unless his name is Sedrick Ellis).

MOtorboat
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll get into more detail as we get closer to... But let me just say I really hope we don't take Laws... The last thing we need is an undersized DT to compliment undersized Dumervil and undersized Engelberger (Unless his name is Sedrick Ellis).

You're really Shanahan, aren't you...the whole hippie with a hot girlfriend is a cover, isn't it...

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM

Let alone the fact he is a Notre Dame pu55y. :huh: