PDA

View Full Version : New approach helped Kern succeed with Titans

Traveler
04-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Posted April 10, 2010 @ 1:39 p.m. ET
By Mike Wilkening

A change of scenery might have been just what Titans P Brett Kern needed to turn around his career.

After the Broncos released him six games into the 2009 season, Kern, a third-year pro from Toledo, signed with Tennessee, and in 10 games with the Titans, he looked like a worthy successor to Craig Hentrich, Tennessee's longtime punter. Kern posted a 41.4-yard net average in 37 punts with the Titans, a vast improvement over his 34.5-yard net average in 27 punts with Denver.

The Broncos began 6-0, but in their Oct. 19 win at San Diego, one of Kern's punts was returned for a touchdown by the Chargers' Darren Sproles. One week later, Kern was released. Kern said Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels didn't cite any specific reason for the move other than that the club wanted to "try something different," as Kern said McDaniels told him. Kern, who had never been cut from a team before, was surprised, but that emotion later gave way to relief, saying that it felt like "a weight lifted off my shoulders, because there was a lot of pressure down there."

Said Kern: "In Denver, there was a sense of urgency to perform your best, and if you didn't, (there was a) 'you were going to get cut' sort of feel."

Kern quickly landed with the Titans, who lost Hentrich to a season-ending injury earlier in the season. And Tennessee, according to Kern, set out to reassure him that a bad punt or two wasn't going to cost him his job, with head coach Jeff Fisher and Hentrich particularly helping in that regard.

A self-described perfectionist, Kern, 24, consistently sought advice from Hentrich, a 17-year veteran. "He was telling me, every punt doesn't have to be perfect," Kern said, noting that Hentrich would tell him that "you're going to have a lot more good punts than bad punts."

And that was the case in Kern's stint with the Titans. Only 14 of his 37 punts were returned, and for a grand total of just 55 yards. Also, 18 punts were downed inside the 20-yard line.

With Hentrich retiring, Kern has the inside track on being the Titans' punter this season. He's participating in the club's offseason workouts and recently began kicking again, but he had begun working out on his own for two months previously. Kern, who has a strong leg, is working to increase his hang time and cut down on the longer, line-drive punts that enhance a punter's gross average but can set up big returns.

Whether he improves his hang time or not, Kern will enter his third NFL season with a new mindset.

"The biggest thing for me was coming to grips that you're going to make mistakes," he said. He added, "The primary thing was trying to fix those mistakes."

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/10/new-approach-helped-kern-succeed-with-titans

sneakers
04-13-2010, 08:13 AM
I would be kinda mad too if the only reason given was that they "wanted to try something different".

broncobryce
04-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Posted April 10, 2010 @ 1:39 p.m. ET
By Mike Wilkening

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/10/new-approach-helped-kern-succeed-with-titans

A change of scenery might have been just what Titans P Brett Kern needed to turn around his career.

After the Broncos released him six games into the 2009 season, Kern, a third-year pro from Toledo, signed with Tennessee, and in 10 games with the Titans, he looked like a worthy successor to Craig Hentrich, Tennessee's longtime punter. Kern posted a 41.4-yard net average in 37 punts with the Titans, a vast improvement over his 34.5-yard net average in 27 punts with Denver.

The Broncos began 6-0, but in their Oct. 19 win at San Diego, one of Kern's punts was returned for a touchdown by the Chargers' Darren Sproles. One week later, Kern was released. Kern said Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels didn't cite any specific reason for the move other than that the club wanted to "try something different," as Kern said McDaniels told him. Kern, who had never been cut from a team before, was surprised, but that emotion later gave way to relief, saying that it felt like "a weight lifted off my shoulders, because there was a lot of pressure down there."

Said Kern: "In Denver, there was a sense of urgency to perform your best, and if you didn't, (there was a) 'you were going to get cut' sort of feel."

Kern quickly landed with the Titans, who lost Hentrich to a season-ending injury earlier in the season. And Tennessee, according to Kern, set out to reassure him that a bad punt or two wasn't going to cost him his job, with head coach Jeff Fisher and Hentrich particularly helping in that regard.

A self-described perfectionist, Kern, 24, consistently sought advice from Hentrich, a 17-year veteran. "He was telling me, every punt doesn't have to be perfect," Kern said, noting that Hentrich would tell him that "you're going to have a lot more good punts than bad punts."

And that was the case in Kern's stint with the Titans. Only 14 of his 37 punts were returned, and for a grand total of just 55 yards. Also, 18 punts were downed inside the 20-yard line.

With Hentrich retiring, Kern has the inside track on being the Titans' punter this season. He's participating in the club's offseason workouts and recently began kicking again, but he had begun working out on his own for two months previously. Kern, who has a strong leg, is working to increase his hang time and cut down on the longer, line-drive punts that enhance a punter's gross average but can set up big returns.

Whether he improves his hang time or not, Kern will enter his third NFL season with a new mindset.

"The biggest thing for me was coming to grips that you're going to make mistakes," he said. He added, "The primary thing was trying to fix those mistakes."

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.

broncobryce
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
The good thing about the 'if you don't perform, you will get cut' thing, is when there is major pressure in a game, the players will be used to it.

roomemp
04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
So goes life in the NFL ....The best of the best......I wouldn't want my team to operate any other way

Bosco
04-13-2010, 04:30 PM

And THAT is why McDaniels was the right man for the job. Denver needed a huge dose of "do your job and do it right or we'll send your ass packing".

HORSEPOWER 56
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
So, if McDaniels doesn't do his job right or makes some mistakes does he get "sent packing", too?

Sounds like a pretty bad situation. Why is it that every time someone becomes an "ex" Bronco, they rarely have good things to say about us? Plenty of guys leave other teams and have nothing but good things to say about their previous ball club. When was the last time one of our guys that left had anything good to say? I can't remember. That is disturbing to me.

Bosco
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
So, if McDaniels doesn't do his job right or makes some mistakes does he get "sent packing", too? Considering Bowlen finally shitcanned Shanahan, I'd say the answer would be "yes".

Northman
04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Good philosphy but i liked Kern and thought he was doing a good job for us.

Ravage!!!
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Good philosphy but i liked Kern and thought he was doing a good job for us.

Its a good philosophy on paper and when not used to the extreme. Players have to feel confident that its ok to make a mistake. That might be why you see Orton so scared to make plays. He's terrified that if he makes a mistake, the coach might go out and find a new QB..... ooops

Northman
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Its a good philosophy on paper and when not used to the extreme. Players have to feel confident that its ok to make a mistake. That might be why you see Orton so scared to make plays. He's terrified that if he makes a mistake, the coach might go out and find a new QB..... ooops

Certainly possible.

rationalfan
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
this thread makes me think of two things:

1. i remember someone in the organization saying kern was cut because he was told to punt high kicks and he didn't.

2. this whole "perform or you're cut" thing is nothing new to denver. shanny was as quick as anyone to cut a player for a poor performance.

BroncoJoe
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
What a concept. Do your job, and you'll continue to have it. Don't, and you'll be looking for work.

Must be a alternate universe somewhere.

Mr D
04-14-2010, 04:51 AM
lol most of ya'll must be some weak Broncos fans - did you not watch the Jason Elam retirement speech?

He said that every day he walked in the building, he never knew with Shanahan if he was going to be cut or not (something along those lines).

Kern can blame the Broncos if he wants, but at the end of the day it's his fault for what happened - you can allow the situation to make something of you or you make something of the situation.

He just got lucky to get in a situation that fit him...

He didn't perform well... you can blame that on whoever but I'll tell you this -

I'd rather have a player who can perform well under a pressure situation than someone who needs to be eased up by coaching.

You can allow the situation to tighten you up, or you can understand the situation, and go about it eased up... I guess Kern was pretty stressed.

nevcraw
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
LOL - at all you hard asses in the forum.

I guess the broncos will not be developing too much young talent. the young guys especially are going to make mistakes and it should be understood and coached through.

Kern should have been kept.

Ravage!!!
04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
all I know, is that our punting got worse after Kern left. If you are going to make a change to personnel, it shoudl be for the better.

Bosco
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
all I know, is that our punting got worse after Kern left.

No it didn't.

Kern: 34.5 net
Berger: 37.9 net

It's also worth noting that Kern's net average dropped from his 2008 level of 37.8 despite MUCH better coverage units.

broncobryce
04-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Who at their job doesn't get shitcanned if they don't perform? If not I would like to work there. It's life not fantasy land.

getlynched47
04-14-2010, 04:56 PM
So that's the mentality he's trying to establish here in Denver?

"No I in Team" and "Do what I say, or I'll cut you"?

:confused:

McDouche confuses the shit outta me

Bosco
04-14-2010, 05:23 PM

So what exactly would be an acceptable mentality?

nevcraw
04-14-2010, 05:34 PM
No it didn't.

Kern: 34.5 net
Berger: 37.9 net

It's also worth noting that Kern's net average dropped from his 2008 level of 37.8 despite MUCH better coverage units.

go look at Berger during the Baltimore game he was F'ing horrible.. dude should have been sold in white slavery for that crap..
And I am cutting him some slack because he went to the other U.
- CU.

Mr D
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Well, the 2nd quote is pretty much assumed, no? If you were the coach of a team, and you told a player to do something and he refused to do it.... you'd tolerate it? lmao

Lastly, how the hell is the 2nd quote a representation of the Kern situation? He simply wasn't good enough...??

Mr D
04-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Why are people talking about this Kern and McD situation as if Kern turned into some great punter?

But no one wants to talk about how horribly Dominik Hixon sucked until he went to the Giants and won the super bowl???

Bosco
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
go look at Berger during the Baltimore game he was F'ing horrible.. dude should have been sold in white slavery for that crap..
And I am cutting him some slack because he went to the other U.
- CU.

That game aside, he still performed better than Kern was.

arapaho2
04-14-2010, 06:00 PM
if its a matter of preform well and never never ever make a mistake i wonder:

1. why leach was let go...in all his years here he not once screwed up.....so why cut him to bring in a expensive ex pat?

2. why was orton not cut...he was shit against the chiefs..not one but two pick sixes...why wasnt he canned

3. why was hillis crucified for fumbling on a kick off...but moreno gets the nod for all his fumbles ..one one the 1/2 yard line i recall

:coffee:

Bosco
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
1. why leach was let go...in all his years here he not once screwed up.....so why cut him to bring in a expensive ex pat? Josh knew that Paxton brought the kind of locker room mentality he wanted while also being one of the top long snappers in the game.

2. why was orton not cut...he was shit against the chiefs..not one but two pick sixes...why wasnt he canned Orton had a very good year for us, and one of those pick sixes was just something that happens. Even John Elway came out and said that.

3. why was hillis crucified for fumbling on a kick off...but moreno gets the nod for all his fumbles ..one one the 1/2 yard line i recall Hillis also had a very pedestrian preseason, routinely didn't know where to line up and cost the team timeouts because of that.

nevcraw
04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
That game aside, he still performed better than Kern was.

because punting avg. tells all..

Berger blew.. Kern will be punting well in this league long after Berger has a bus bench in his likeness selling lower income housing.

nevcraw
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Why are people talking about this Kern and McD situation as if Kern turned into some great punter?

But no one wants to talk about how horribly Dominik Hixon sucked until he went to the Giants and won the super bowl???

Because all low round drafted rookies come out of the gate playing like all pros. Coaches need to learn how to coach..
Shanny wanted to keep Hixon on the PS. Giants just got the jump on the waiver wire.

Bosco
04-14-2010, 07:14 PM
because punting avg. tells all.. Actually it's net average, and yeah, in this case it pretty much tells all. We made massive upgrades to the coverage units and Kern's net average went down. We brought in Berger and the net average improved.

Berger blew.. Kern will be punting well in this league long after Berger Might have something to do with the fact that Berger has been in the league since 1994.