PDA

View Full Version : What are you All Time Favorite Bronco games/memories??

BroncoBJ
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Well I was on this facebook Broncos application group and they asked for favorite Bronco memories and what not and it got me thinking of some games that I enjoyed during my lifetime as a diehard fan. So I figured I'd see what games some people really loved who have been around much longer then me as well. It'd be cool to relive some great Bronco moments. :rockon:

Heres pretty much what I wrote:

Well since I was too young and wasn't as passionate a Broncos fan... I cant say the 2 SB victories as my favorite game :( Plus I really wasn't diehard in to football until 6th grade which was the year after our 2 SB Vicotories .... But some games that stand out ... I'll just do 1 game for each Era:

Early Teen Era: --
September 24th, 2000. Well it was my 1st Ever NFL game I attended so thats why I put this on the list. It was at the Old Mile High and my 1st and Only NFL Game there. We lost the game 23-22 and I don't remember much but plenty more memories were made at Invesco. But its crazy how long ago it was. So 1 of few losses that will ever top my favorite memories

September 10th, 2001 is another game I put on the list. Although Eddy Mac broke his leg.. the reason this game is on the list is because it was the 1st game at Invesco Field. 1st of many games and many great memories. And it was the day before the famous September 11th. Crazy how that game was before that. Time goes by so fast. But thats why this game is top of the memory list as well. A monumental day in Broncos history.

Griese Era: --
October 28th, 2001 -- Beating the Pats 31-20. Maybe at the time it might not have been the best game. But I remember I was in 8th grade and I had to get my grades up to go to this game. And my science teacher was like " Why do you want to see the Pats anyways? They suck" Little did he know that Tom Brady would turn out to be a star and win the superbowl that year. It was like Tom's 4th start or so and it was nice to see a star in the making. I remember when we won I told people that we had the better Michigan QB lol. How wrong I was. I remember everything about that game. Where I was seated and everything. Crazy how its been 9 years. Sure dont' feel like it. And thats probably my only favorite memory during the Griese Era. I was still youngish then and there wasn't a whole lot of great memories. Just average.

Plummer Era:
December 7th, 2003. The Day Portis had 218 yards and 5 TD's. Nuff said. I was in 9th grade and I seriously wanted to marry Portis after that game. I get chills thinking about it. It has to be my favorite NFL game of all time. Just to watch him do that live was unbelievable. Something I'll never forget. Still miss Portis. He was the best RB in the game at that time. There is no doubt about it.

January 14th, 2006. The AFC Divisional playoff game between the Broncos and the Pats. The Pats were back2back Superbowl Champs and I was a senior in highschool and we were just coming off a 13-3 season. And to have our 1st home playoff game since I've really been a diehard fan was great. It felt great to beat the Pats like we have in the Tom Brady Era. I remember having a sign at the game that said " Can Brady Say 10-1" Can Brady Say stood for CBS. And the 10-1 was because he was 10-0 in playoff games. Felt great to give him his 1st ever playoff loss. Gotta love these memories.

Jay Cutler Era: --
December 3rd, 2006.-- Well Even though we sucked in that Era and had 0 postseason appearances. I still had some great memories.
My 1st one is probably back on Which was Jay's 1st start. I wasn't planning on going to the game but since it was his 1st start I had to. This is probably the only loss That I will have on the list lol. I just remember how happy I was and that it was cold out and when we lost I kept talking about how much we sucked. But was nice to see Jay's first TD's and INT's in person.

September 9th, 2007 --Another game from that Era would be the next year on when we played the Bills. Rushing everyone on the field last second to kick a FG after Elam had already missed 2 FG's earlier. I remember being so happy about starting 1-0. It was a great epic road game to start the season off. And it was Jay's first full season starting and it was the year when Brandon Marshall became a star in the NFL.

September 16th, 2007. -- Another great memory I have is the next week, It was on my moms birthday and was the first time I ever took her to an NFL game. Broncos won in overtime after Janikowski got iced kicking a FG and then Elam later won it. Was great for my mom to be 1-0 at her first Bronco game and to witness an epic game. sure was nice to be 2-0 that year.

September 14th, 2008. -- Another great memory and 1 of my favorite games I've been at. Definatly top 5 and maybe top 3. Was playing the top Chargers who embarrassed us the year before and we finally got revenge. Got a lil help from Hochuli but to score a TD on 4th down and then go for the 2 pt conversion with 30 seconds left. Just was amazing. Love that Shanahan had guts. Also felt great to start off 2-0 and eventually 3-0. Just sucked the way the season went but was great beating the Chargers like that. What a thriller.

November 6th, 2008. --Another fav of mine was the Browns/Broncos game a few years back. Me and Bobby Boy were in Cleveland for this one and it was a Thursday Night game and also Brady Quinns first NFL start. The game looked bleak all day long but a great 4th qtr comeback by Jay broke Clevelands heart again. And to see him have a 400 yard passing day and a career high. Sure was great. Felt nice to come out of there with a win and salvage our season just a little bit.

But with all those fav memories during the Jay Era... It sure is sad that we had no playoff appearances. But thats what happens. No more memories will ever be shared with Jay :(

Kyle Orton/Josh McDaniels Era: --
September 13th, 2009 -- Well this Era started off with a bang. Definatly started off exciting but my favorite memory of this era was definatly week 1, . One of the most unbelievable endings I've ever witnessed. I remember just sitting there with my head down thinking how bad it sucks to lose the game after leading all game. Then all of a sudden Stokely catches the deflected pass and takes it to the house. I remember jumping and screaming and made my cat Bite me. Musta scared him. I get chills thinking about it... How did we win that game? Another week 1 thriller for Denver. But I loved every second of it .. well actually I hated it but after the TD I loved it. Just good times.

October 11th, 2009. Another favorite moment was I took my mom to her 2nd game and we also went to a Rockies playoff game right after. So it was a busy day.. but since not many people gave us a chance to beat the Pats. Down 10 most the 2nd half .. and we chipped away and won the toss and gave Brady his 1st ever OT loss. Sure was great to give him his 1st playoff and overtime loss. And Marshall was straight beasting in that game. But it was great to spend it with my mom. Always love good memories like that. And seeing McDaniels with his fist pumps afterwards. Felt great to be a Broncos fan after taht game. Also liked the Cowboys game just because it was nice to see McDaniels and Marshall hug And that was about the rest of the memories I had the rest of the year. Beating the Chargers in San Diego was nice .. but after that 6-0 start ... It all went downhill.

So thats that about memories. Just a few memories over the last 10 years or so that I definatly enjoyed. Figured I'd share em.Obviously I have a few memories for each Era and stuff. And I hope to have many more memories. I don't even want to talk about my worst memories. I think any time we lose to Oakland is a horrible memory .. and blowing the division back to back years is also Horrible lol.

So whats everyone elses memories? :elefant:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
The Drive
The Fumble
Atwater's MNF hit on Okoye
The playoff comeback on Houston
Al Wilson stone walling Wheatley in the snow
Champ's pic-6 of Brady
Terrell Davis...all of it.
Romo calling Kordell a dumbass
All of the Steeler fans in my living room to watch SB32 cuz they just knew GB was gonna beat Denver and they wanted to watch me cry.
Elway's induction...I was there
Griese "tripping over his dog"

Ravage!!!
04-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Man.. I so wanted to be at his induction. I still haven't forgiven myself for not making that trip...

1) The helicopter leap by Elway. I remember, at that moment, FINALLY saying... "OMG, we're really going to do it!!!" Epitomizes Elway

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I live on the PA/Ohio line right between Steeler and Brown country so the defeats of them were that much sweeter for me. My mom's best friend worked for cable advertising in the 80s and made my dad a Brown's video (he's a Lions fan, but I digress) which included "Bad to the Bone" being played behind highlights of the Browns win over the Jest prior to facing Denver. Best part, it had "Could've Been" by Tiffany as the music for the Denver game video when Byner fumbled. I've played that tape at least 100 times...and Byner drops it every time.

Not the actual video I'm referencing, but here is the song for you young bucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzGss9QGAk

Nomad
04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
My memory of the game is fading but it's not the greatest moment for the BRONCOS but it's my one and only game I've ever see live and it was on a Monday night in the Kingdome in 92 or 93. BRONCOS lost in OT but it was cool to see them live!!

broncobryce
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
The comeback against the Oilers in the playoffs. I think they coined it 'The Drive 2'.

EMB6903
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
The comeback against the Oilers in the playoffs. I think they coined it 'The Drive 2'.

Converting 2 4th down conversions in that last drive.

broncobryce
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Converting 2 4th down conversions in that last drive.

Hell yeah. That was classic.

Italianmobstr7
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I was born into being a Broncos fan. My grandpa, my dad, and my older brother were all fans before I was even born. I was born in 1987 so I didn't get to see "The Drive" live or "The Fumble." The very first game I can remember watching with my Dad was the 1991 Broncos vs Oilers game in the playoffs. The comeback 2. I don't remember anything from the game, just my father being elated by the game.

My first personal memory that I can remember vividly is from 1995. Rod Smith's first TD catch to win the game against the Washington Redskins. After that game, I was hooked. I don't remember a lot before 1995 as I was in a very bad semi-truck accident in 1995 shortly following the season. I do know that I haven't missed 1 single Broncos game since the 1994 season though. My parents say I always loved football even as a kid it was always my favorite toy, so I guess it was just destined to be that I became obsessed with football. Here's some of my favorite memories to add to all of yours.

Sep. 17, 1995: Broncos vs Redskins - Rod Smith catches his first TD pass as a Bronco and the Broncos squeak pass the Skins 38-31.

Nov. 24, 1996: Broncos at Vikings - McCaffrey catches tipped pass from Elway in the end zone with seconds left and Broncos beat the Vikings 21-17.

Jan. 4 1996: This isn't a good memory, but a vivid one. I remember balling after this game. I was at a playoff party with a bunch of Packers fans (they were playing right after the Broncos-Jags game) and I remember Mark Brunell just tearing us up all day. I remember going outside and crying and not wanting anyone to talk to me. I was devastated. I thought it was going to be Elways last chance to get a Super Bowl. Thankfully I was wrong.

Nov. 2, 1997: I remember almost every play of every game in this season. The one game that sticks out most in the regular season was against the Seattle Seahawks. We beat them 30-27 and moved to 8-1 on the season. At that point, I felt we had a real shot at the Super Bowl.

Dec. 27, 1997, Jan. 4, Jan.4, 1998 and Jan. 11 1998: - All 3 of the playoff games. I remember beating Jacksonville and making them pay for the year before. I remember eeking out a win IN Kansas City which we always had trouble doing. I remember beating the Steelers in 3 rivers. Sharpe making the game clinching 1st down catch on 3rd and long. Not a lot of people thought we'd win after the physical beating they gave us earlier in the season.

Jan. 25, 1998: Super Bowl XXXII. I remember looking at my Dad right after the Elway helicopter spin and we both said "we're gonna win this thing!" We were at a party with mostly Packers fans (while living in Colorado... Go figure) Never forget Elway getting his first ring.

Sep. 7, 1998: I remember all of the 1998 season, as it's my favorite Broncos season of all time. The 1 regular season game that sticks out the most is Week 1 against the Patriots. It was my first ever game. It was at Old Mile High and I was sitting in the South Stands with my Dad. We won 27-21 but the score was much closer than the game. Pats had a ton of talent too, but we were stacked. Pats had Drew Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, Ben Coates, Willie Mcginest. They were good, but we were much, much better.

Nov. 22, 1998: Broncos vs Raiders - Elway throws for 50,000.

Dec. 27, 1998: Broncos vs Seahawks - Davis breaks 2,000 yards.

Obviously, all the playoff games and Super Bowl.

Sep. 10, 2001: Broncos vs Giants - Broncos first game at Invesco. McCaffrey breaks leg. 9/11/2001 was the next day.

Dec. 7, 2003: Broncos vs Chiefs - Portis goes for 218 yards and 5 TD's. He was my favorite player at the time. He got traded on my birthday before the next season. I was glad we got Champ, but mad we got rid of Portis.

2005: The whole season was great, especially the Eagles game where we crushed Donavan McNabb and the rest of the Eagles. Also, beating the Cowboys was great. Champ had an awesome pick 6. Champ's pick 6 of Brady in the playoff game was something I'll never forget too. Still to this day can't believe Ben Watson tracked him down, I don't care if he had an angle.

Dec. 3, 2006: Broncos vs Seahawks - Cutler's first start, Brandon Marshall's first TD catch from Cutler. I'd been telling my friends since we drafted Marshall that he was going to be a star. His catch and run for a TD in that game proved what I had known all along. That he was a BEAST.

Sep. 9, 2007: Broncos at Bills - Elam rushes on and kicks game winning FG. I was thrilled and shocked at the same time. Was an awesome finish.

Sep. 8, 2008: Broncos at Raiders - Broncos blew out the Raiders. Royal's coming out party.

Sep. 14, 2008: Broncos vs Chargers - Cutler throws TD and 2 point conversion to cap comeback to beat Chargers in a back and forth game (thank you Ed Hoculi!) Also, my favorite player Marshall had 18 catches, and just abused Antonio Cromartie all game long.

Sep. 13, 2009: Broncos at Bengals - I was happy all game until the damn Bengals scored with :38 left. I thought it was over, but was barely holding out hope because we still had 1 timeout. Orton cocked back, threw the ball and it got tipped up, Stokely caught it and was off to the races. I was jumping up and down screaming "Run Brandon Run!" My roommates were laughing. I was so happy I got up and ran towards my room, but I slipped and fell on the entry way and just laid there laughing and pounding the ground in sheer happiness. Needless to say, I was ready for the season to start, and really ready for a win.

Oct. 11, 2009: Broncos vs Patriots - Marshall has a huge day, Broncos upset the Pats. It was a good day.

Oct. 19, 2009: Broncos at Chargers - Broncos win thanks to good offense, stellar D, and GREAT special teams play by Eddie Royal.

Dec. 13, 2009: Broncos at Colts - Yeah, we lost, but Marshall had an NFL record 21 catches. We almost had the Colts beat, and honestly we should have. We played a terrible first half.

Oct. 4, 2009: Broncos vs Cowboys - My first trip to Invesco Field, and my first time back to Denver in about 5 years. I chatted with Marshall a little before the game. He told me he was going to get it done today. He didn't disappoint. There was something about the crowd that day that just made it feel like we weren't going to lose that game. When Marshall caught that pass, I was jumping up and down, hugging people I didn't know and yelling. It was a great trip. So great in fact, that I've decided I'm going back for 1 game a year from now on.

BroncoBJ
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Good stuff mobstre. :salute: You were born about a year earlier then me but you started watching more avidly much younger then me. When I was 4 and 5.. and even til about 10. Sports and football wasn't a top priority. I was more in to playing my video games and stuff. Kinda makes me sad. But I havn't missed a Broncos game since Elway retired. :lol:

But over the last 10 years we both have some of the same memories. I loved Marshalls TD against Seattle as well. I remember sitting in the North Stands where he scored. I was going nuts at that point. However that wasn't his 1st career TD. His 1st TD was against the Browns in Cleveland. :salute:

And always glad to have another person who loves Portis. I'll always love Portis. That 218 yard, 5 TD game is probably my favorite Bronco moment ever. :salute: Classic game right there.

Italianmobstr7
04-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Good stuff mobstre. :salute: You were born about a year earlier then me but you started watching more avidly much younger then me. When I was 4 and 5.. and even til about 10. Sports and football wasn't a top priority. I was more in to playing my video games and stuff. Kinda makes me sad. But I havn't missed a Broncos game since Elway retired. :lol:

But over the last 10 years we both have some of the same memories. I loved Marshalls TD against Seattle as well. I remember sitting in the North Stands where he scored. I was going nuts at that point. However that wasn't his 1st career TD. His 1st TD was against the Browns in Cleveland. :salute:

And always glad to have another person who loves Portis. I'll always love Portis. That 218 yard, 5 TD game is probably my favorite Bronco moment ever. :salute: Classic game right there.

You're absolutely right. I remember, Plummer threw it to him. It was just his first from Cutler, that was my bad. I was sitting in the North stands when Marshall caught and ran for the TD against Dallas. That's the end zone he ran in to for the TD. Probably my favorite moment since the Elway/Davis days. I was pretty much born an avid fan. My Brother and Dad are still die hards and watch all the games online. I have Directv and have since I moved to Oklahoma. I haven't missed a game since 1995, and maybe before that. I just don't remember because of the accident. I even remember a little of the 1994 game w/ Montana vs Elway. I lived in Colorado from the time I was 4 till I was 13 so right when the Broncos were in their prime years, but my Dad and Brother are from Pennsylvania and were always fans even before we lived in Colorado. Only a few of my friends were Broncos fans in CO though. I remember a lot of Packers/49ers and Cowboys fans in elementary school. I've always been the same way with all of my teams though. I picked 1 team when I was a little kid in each sport, and I stick with that team no matter what. I'm very loyal and have a lot of memorabilia from each. I wish you would've been a more avid fan when the Broncos had Elway man. You would definitely appreciate the Super Bowl years a lot more than you probably already do.

guitarj
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
The helicopter is right up there for me, but along with that was watching the O-line and TD take complete control of that game.

Our first SB win takes it by far in my 35 years of watching!!

Northman
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Ill have to think about this as i know there are plenty of KC ass whoopings that will show up on there.

Shazam!
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
SB 32 in it's entirety
SB 33 in it's entirety
SB 32 Play- Elway heli
SB 33 Play - Elway to TD 80+ yd TD
The Drive
Payback- beating Jax to a pulp in the 1998 Playoffs
1997 @ Mile High: Denver 30 - Seattle 27 (because I was there)
1995 - Mike Shanahan named HC (I wanted him 2 years ago too)
1995- Beating Oakland 27-0 on MNF. Then I knew Shanahan was on to something after years of getting whacked by LA/Oak.
The Drive 2
1986- SB XXI. Sure they lost but I was young and it was great to see my boys in the SB
Payback 2- 1999 Playoffs- Shellacking Miami 38-0 in the Divisionals avenging their loss 3 weeks earlier
1992- Living in NY, beating the Jets and the Giants in Mile High back to back weeks
The Elway 'duck play' vs. Seattle
Sharpe- "We're killing the Patriots!"

broncophan
04-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Being in Canton to see Elway get inducted....90% of the 20 some thousand people there people there were Bronco fans:)
Beating the Packers in the Superbowl
Kubiak starting for Elway who was sick on a Monday night and beating the skins
Bowlen saying "This One's for John"
Watching Elway's retirement press conference
Being in Cincinnati to see Stokley's game winning td catch
Watching Mecklenburg over the years
The drive and the torment of the browns franchise, by the broncos, over the years
Shanahans success over the raiders

East Coast Fan
04-13-2010, 06:02 AM
My favorite Bronco games/memories?

The ENTIRE 1977 season...I wish that you younger guys could "feel" what that felt like. Denver had its first winning record in 1973, also in '74, went 6-8 in an injury-plagued '75 season, improved to 9-5 in '76 and under new coach Red Miller went 12-2 and onto the Super Bowl. It was just a grand time, losing only 3 times that season altogether-beating Pittsburgh and Oakland twice that season, and even though they lost the Super Bowl to Dallas it could NOT tarnish what had happened that magical season with Broncomania and the ORIGINAL "Orange Crush".

Like Mike Lange. the Penguins longtime announcer says-"you'd have to be here to believe it". I wish that I could send you younger fans back in time somehow so that you could feel what it was like and what it meant to the team and the city and the fans...

MileHighCrew
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
On Halloween 2008 I started my 22 hour 1 day drive from Winnipeg Canada to Denver on a life long dream. I stayed at the Sheraton 16th ave mall, went to the Nuggets home opener VS the Lakers, saw the Avs play the Sharks and although they lost to Miami watched the Broncos from row 5 on the 50 yard line on the Broncos sidelines for my first game ever in Denver. That was the greatest (non family child birth, wedding) day of my life. That is my greatest Broncos memory.

Dirk
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
So many memories and favorites to mention.

I will only mention one. It was Sunday January 25th, 1998. Green Bay 24 - Denver 31.

That will always be the greatest moment in my memory of the Denver Broncos. The moment Favre was denied and Denver took over on downs to secure the victory.

I jumped with joy and tears of joy flowed at the same time. Wow, what a great moment that way.

broncophan
04-13-2010, 01:32 PM
My favorite Bronco games/memories?

The ENTIRE 1977 season...I wish that you younger guys could "feel" what that felt like. Denver had its first winning record in 1973, also in '74, went 6-8 in an injury-plagued '75 season, improved to 9-5 in '76 and under new coach Red Miller went 12-2 and onto the Super Bowl. It was just a grand time, losing only 3 times that season altogether-beating Pittsburgh and Oakland twice that season, and even though they lost the Super Bowl to Dallas it could NOT tarnish what had happened that magical season with Broncomania and the ORIGINAL "Orange Crush".

Like Mike Lange. the Penguins longtime announcer says-"you'd have to be here to believe it". I wish that I could send you younger fans back in time somehow so that you could feel what it was like and what it meant to the team and the city and the fans...

Must have been a great season.......I was only 9 years old then.......I only remember the SuperBowl.....that is when I became a bronco fan......I picked Denver and my brother picked Dallas.......and I have stayed with them ever since!!

Northman
04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Must have been a great season.......I was only 9 years old then.......I only remember the SuperBowl.....that is when I became a bronco fan......I picked Denver and my brother picked Dallas.......and I have stayed with them ever since!!

You remembered more than me than. lol

I was only 7 and barely remember much except for the Orange Crush sodas on the shelves.

SOCALORADO.
04-13-2010, 03:18 PM

"THE OVERDRIVE"

I had the luxury of being a young teen into my early 20s as along with Elways career, so this was yet another game where i was the lone broncos fan, in a friends house, with a bunch of people who hated DEN, watching Elway do what he does, while everyone talked trash at me.
Then like so many times before, i was jumping up and down yelling
"HA!, TOLD YOU CLOWNS WE WOULD WIN!
Then i was chased outta the house by somebodys dad, and i walked home with a big smile on my face.
Ah those were the days boys. I am so fortunate to have seen THE DRIVE live in my superman underoos, with a bowl of fruity pebbles in my lap, yelling and hollering!!

But this game was one for the ages as well!
Jan. 4, 1992: THE OVERDRIVE

It might well be the most dramatic comeback of Elway's career - yes even more dramatic than The Drive. In the divisional playoffs against the Houston Oilers, the Broncos trail 24-23 with 2:07 remaining and no timeouts left. The Broncos have the ball on their own 2.

"I remember thinking, 'Well, now we're going to see if the first one was a fluke or not,'" Elway recalled.

Elway converts twice on fourth downs on The Overdrive. Facing fourth-and-6 at the 28, he scrambles out of the pocket and runs out of bounds just beyond the first-down marker. After three straight incompletions, Elway faces fourth-and-10 at his own 35. ( When he did this, there are Oiler players absolutely freakin on the sideline. it was just beautiful to watch)

Pressured in the pocket, Elway steps up and shot-puts a wobbly pass to Vance Johnson, who turns the busted play into a 44-yard gain. David Treadwell's 28-yard field goal with 16 seconds left gives Denver a 26-24 victory.

Here's Elway's description of his pass to Johnson: "That may be one of the worst passes I've ever thrown, but I've never had a guy that wide open where I could almost just hand him the ball. So it wobbled a lot, but fortunately, it got there."

Then there were the games against KC.
I think it was 98, late in the 4th, DEN down by a few points, Elway threw a deep 40 yard bomb to Sharpe in the back of the end zone to win it.
Theres video of it somewhere.
Those are just 2 of many. I just dont have time.

MasterShake
04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Any game in the snow. I love that we have an outdoor stadium! I've only been to a couple in the snow, but it was awesome!

The Glue Factory
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Any game in the snow. I love that we have an outdoor stadium! I've only been to a couple in the snow, but it was awesome!

Ahhhh.. the Snow Bowl. One of the classic Alburquerque lows we get winds up into a blizzard of the ages to dump a ton of snow on Denver. There was only about 6 or 8 inches of snow on the ground at kick off. By the end of the game there's about 18 inches of snow.

Monday night game against the Packers in Mile High 1984. Packers won the toss. On the first play from scrimmage they fumble it was picked up and run back for a TD. Denver up 7-0.

On the ensuing kick-off the Packers fumble the ball which was returned for another TD. Less than 90 seconds into the game and the Packers are down 14-0! :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Denver hangs on to win it 17-14.

Dzone
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Since someone brought up Floyd Little and Rich Jackson on another thread, lets talk about some of the games and players you remember from the past. I'm thinking of that game in 1975 against Pittsburgh that I think was the first TIE ever after sudden death was instituted. It was like 35-35 or something like that.
How about billy van heusen..a punter/wide receiver who wore #42...I remember sitting at houlihans in Denver in 1990 watching san francisco demolish denver in the super bowl. That was devastating, but nothing was a s bad as 1978. That super bowl loss lingered for years.
Please share some of your memories.

Northman
09-18-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130823&highlight=Bronco+memories

broncosinindy
09-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Probably one of the first games i remember as a kid was the snow game i think it was 83 or 84 not really sure of the year with greeen bay. The gerald Whilhite back flips. the sammy winder mud stomp. Karl Mecklenburg is also one of my favorite broncos of all time ... my top three are probably

1. Elway
2. Meck
3. Atwater

Lonestar
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
There was game in the 60s not sure who we played but we never crossed the 50 yard line all day. We lost IIRC 55-7 and the only reason we got 7 was Sellers ran a kr for a TD.

There was also a game where the raiders were winning and were almost scoring at will it seemed to us south standers that they would kick instead of getting in range of the battery throwers from the south stands. That same game they had a police escort into the locker room.

When it snowed and there was snow left in the stands well that snow was almost completely converted in to snow balls.

We also would at half time all set there and stomp on the floor of the south stands so they could not hear the adjustments below. Many times coming or going the cheifs or raider players would give us the finger when coming or going.

That was just one of the ways Mile High was home field advantage.

Disclaimer I never threw anthing more than a coke at them (to young to drink) at the time I was in those stands.

Let me tell you they desesrved everything they got.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dzone
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130823&highlight=Bronco+memories
Thanks..that was a good read...
Its good for our brain cells to try to remember. I sometimes wonder if those concussions I had in high school football and college boxing have done something to my memory of certain things..LOL..Like people talking about the drive against Houston in the playoffs...Ugh...I cant remember that...I remember the cleveland playoff games and the fumble...Hmmmm who was carrying the ball and who caused that fumble???..he was a skinny cornerback and Im wracking my brain to remember
What rerally amazes me now compared to even 20 years ago is the effect of weight training. I remember when Cullen Bryant was a running back for the rams with ENORMOUS ARMS(didnt he play at CU?) Nowadays, EVERYBODY has arms as big as cullen bryants...BTW, is it me, or does it look like Robert Ayers' arms are mucvh bigger this year?

Dzone
09-18-2010, 09:28 AM
how about that snowball that landed on the field when the opposing kicker kicked? What game was that?
Or when the big raider dude went into the stands during a snow game?????That wasnt that long ago, but cant remember who it was

spikerman
09-18-2010, 10:29 AM
how about that snowball that landed on the field when the opposing kicker kicked? What game was that?
Or when the big raider dude went into the stands during a snow game?????That wasnt that long ago, but cant remember who it was

Wasn't that snowball game against the 49ers?

girler
09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Wasn't that snowball game against the 49ers?

That's when I started calling them the "whiney-niners." :laugh:

spikerman
09-18-2010, 11:04 AM
That's when I started calling them the "whiney-niners." :laugh:

I actually felt kind of bad after that win............ for about four seconds.

Lonestar
09-18-2010, 11:49 AM
My friends dad bought season tickets thru payroll deduction and gave them to his son that first year and then I got them tranfered into my name there after. But one of the years tha Gilcrist played my older brother went to a game with me. I remember him saying "he is supposed to be the golden God but does not look very big out on the field.
Someone mentioned him coming from KC. I'm pretty sure that Saban IIRC got him in from BUF.

Dzone
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I had tickets to the Monday Night game against the Montana led Chiefs...I gave the tickets away and watched on TV when Montana brought them back with that drive and touchdown pass...Whata game!

I think its good brain exercise to try and remember this stuff...LOL

BORDERLINE
09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
the one that jumps out at me , and it isn't like a super bowl just a regular game...when griese seperated his shoulder in MNF againts the raiders and still came out in the second half and played his azz off...don't remember the year but i still remember that game amazing i was sold on Griese..too bad he din't pan out

gobroncsnv
09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
QB scramble helicopter right - Red 98!

sneakers
09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I drove down to Indy (5 hours non stop) last December and saw Brandon Marshall brake the catch record (didn't know until about 30 after the game that he broke it - There were no stats displayed in the stadium that I saw)

Slick
09-19-2010, 11:12 AM
My friends dad bought season tickets thru payroll deduction and gave them to his son that first year and then I got them tranfered into my name there after. But one of the years tha Gilcrist played my older brother went to a game with me. I remember him saying "he is supposed to be the golden God but does not look very big out on the field.
Someone mentioned him coming from KC. I'm pretty sure that Saban IIRC got him in from BUF.

Jr's old school...

Sitting in the 9th row 40 yard line watching us beat Walter Payton, Jim McMahon and the defending Superbowl champion Bears on a Monday night in Denver

...nothing better than being at the game...the sights, sounds and smells of the old stadium. Man I miss that place.