PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes traded to Jets-- What does it mean for Marshall?

dogfish
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET

What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy. Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

It's the second time in less than a year that the Jets have swung a deal for a former first-round receiver. Last October, they acquired Braylon Edwards from the Browns.

Like Holmes, Edwards also is facing a likely suspension after pleading guilty to an assault that occurred only days before he was traded. Also, both players are signed through 2010.

Suddenly, HBO's Hard Knocks got a lot more interesting.

UPDATE: Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports that the Jets gave up a fifth-round draft pick for Holmes, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII. A fifth-round draft pick for a former Super Bowl MVP.

Zweems56
04-11-2010, 10:40 PM
psssh, I won by 4 minutes!

dogfish
04-11-2010, 10:47 PM
seriously, i know they need to clean up their image -- especially if they're going to keep rapenstein-- but a fifth?

i'm wondering if there's at least a conditional pick also involved that didn't get reported, because that's incredibly cheap even for a guy who might be suspended. . .

with both the vultures and the jets out of the marshall sweepstakes, our odds aren't improving, and if the focus does come down to seattle they might think that entitles them to lowball us. . . i could stomach a high 2nd from somebody like st. louis or tampa, but not seattle's lower 2nd, even with a scrub throw in-- i'd rather keep him and let him play under the tender for a year. . .

IF you're rooting for the team to move him, you're hoping for another squad or two to get in contention-- like, maybe, miami. . . or dallas. . . washington, carolina, chicago with a creative offer. . . i'm sure there's still plenty of interest around the league and plenty of heated internal debates-- something could easily still get done. . .

the asking price isn't getting inflated any though, that's for sure. . . unless he honestly has some type of strong evidence that brandon is not just immature but actual poison in the locker room, mcD and his FO stooges need to put aside personal preference and stand firm on this one-- we get at least aceeptable value, or we don't move him unless someone signs him to an offer sheet in the next few days. . .

dogfish
04-11-2010, 10:48 PM
psssh, I won by 4 minutes!

congratulationnnnns. . . . :heh:

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
That he likely won't be traded for a first round pick, and I'm wondering if even a second round pick.

Zweems56
04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
congratulationnnnns. . . . :heh:

Just playin, mang. I saw that on my phone, and it woke me up 100% from the semi-conscious state that I was in.

Ravage!!!
04-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I just don't see it happening. I don't think McD wants him on the team, and will get the best value, but in the end move Marshall. Its a power struggle.

hell... now the Steelers may be in the Marshall sweepstakes :D

SM19
04-11-2010, 10:53 PM
It means the Steelers are out of their minds. Wow.

Zweems56
04-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I just don't see it happening. I don't think McD wants him on the team, and will get the best value, but in the end move Marshall. Its a power struggle.

hell... now the Steelers may be in the Marshall sweepstakes :D

If all they got for Santonio was a 5th, do you seriously think they'll consider giving anything more than a 3rd for Marshall? In all honesty, this move singlehandedly bent us over the barrel when it comes to getting fair compensation for Marshall. The only way this can end well for us, imho, is with a makeout session between Marshall and McD.

Ziggy
04-11-2010, 10:56 PM
The Jets were my dark horse pick for Marshall. Another one bites the dust. Is it me, or is it looking more and more like BMarsh will start the season as a Bronco?

underrated29
04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
The Jets were my dark horse pick for Marshall. Another one bites the dust. Is it me, or is it looking more and more like BMarsh will start the season as a Bronco?

I hope to god you are right.... I just get this feeling that he wont be and we are going to get screwed by shanny for him or any team for that matter.

Josh, moved up for phonz, got rid of Jay asap, and when he doesnt see what he likes he gets desperate and makes rash moves....This is what I forsee happeneing to us. Please please please josh....

Do Not let him go for anything less than 2 2nds or stl 2nd or a 1st...Infact- JUST KEEP HIM HERE!!!!

His value will only go up if he stays clean and plays and puts up yet another season of beastness! KEEP HIM ONE MORE YEAR!

Ravage!!!
04-11-2010, 11:06 PM
we aren't getting 2 seconds for him.

BroncoBJ
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Well Cutler got traded to his favorite childhood team in the Bears.

Time to trade Marshall to his favorite childhood team in the Steelers.

Lets just make all our players happy. :salute:

UnderArmour
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh hell no. If all we can get is a 2nd or 3rd rounder just make Marshall sit the season out or be a team player.

ikillz0mbies
04-11-2010, 11:35 PM
wow, the jets robbed the steelers. this decreases marshall's trade value significally. i hope marshall is kept this season and plays...others may disagree. but with him on the team, the broncos can focus their draft towards players that fill a more crucial need and end all this dez bryant talk.

BigBroncLove
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
-- especially if they're going to keep rapenstein--

This was most enjoyable to read :lol:

I agree. With each developing story it seems the Broncos are more and more likely to hold on to Marshall this year(so long as they stick to their guns on what value they expect out of moving marshall which I hope and think they will). Let's just hope Peter King is as big an idiot I think he has become these years... he thinks Denver will cave for a second rounder.

What a robbery, especially since someone else has confessed to throwing the glass at that woman in Holmes's case. I expect there must be other issues beyond just that for the Steelers to want to move him so bad as to swallow taht trade.

It's all bad news for the Broncos and Marshall IMO. I think the only thing this does that can benefit the Broncos is throwing the Steelers in the mix on draft day for WR's with a higher degree of urgency. Sweed is pretty close to being an all out bust and kick the tires on Ward to much and they could fall off. Now with Holmes gone (and Washington in Tennessee) I would imagine the Steelers are very likely to pursue a WR higher up in the draft and doubt they will seek out Marshall for the Broncos asking price. If for some reason they choose to do that in the first round some plans could change at the top of the second (St. Louis or Tampa) where Denver might be able to trade for a top second round and some additional compensation on the back end (next year or later rounds in 2010).

We'll see. The only team in the first round that has the Owner with the will and an open piece to their roster that would immediately benefit IMO is Dallas (Marshalls physical play combined with Austins speed would be a solid combo), but I give that a 5% chance. Williams, I believe, just got nearly a 10 million bonus option in his contract and the only way they take a guy like MArshall is if they free up some of that room with Williams salary. They did just build a ridiculous stadium, plus the fear of a lockout year, means money may not flow in Dallas like it used to. Plus they have other needs their position in the first could be used to address.

Italianmobstr7
04-12-2010, 12:44 AM
This really doesn't mean much for Marshall. If his value has dropped to a 3rd round pick in some teams eyes, then Denver will keep him, make him play another year at the RFA price they've offered him and then gain a 3rd rounder as a compensatory pick the year after he leaves. I mean, really it's as simple as that. If they don't get a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a proven vet Denver has NO reason to trade Marshall. Honestly they should just pay the Beast and keep him in Denver, but if that's not possible they still shouldn't trade him for less than a 1st or a 2nd and a player.

I think this trade means that the Broncos are more likely to keep Marshall this year. Bowlen likes Marshall and I think that maybe HE is the one who has put the price tag on Marshall as far as a trade goes. It is possible that he won't let McD/Xanders trade Marshall unless they get a 1st.

Northman
04-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Yea, dont think he is going anywhere. Guess Brandon should of taken that last contract offer.

dogfish
04-12-2010, 01:48 AM
This was most enjoyable to read :lol:

always glad to help out. . . :welcome:

I agree. With each developing story it seems the Broncos are more and more likely to hold on to Marshall this year(so long as they stick to their guns on what value they expect out of moving marshall which I hope and think they will). Let's just hope Peter King is as big an idiot I think he has become these years... he thinks Denver will cave for a second rounder.

What a robbery, especially since someone else has confessed to throwing the glass at that woman in Holmes's case. I expect there must be other issues beyond just that for the Steelers to want to move him so bad as to swallow taht trade.

It's all bad news for the Broncos and Marshall IMO. I think the only thing this does that can benefit the Broncos is throwing the Steelers in the mix on draft day for WR's with a higher degree of urgency. Sweed is pretty close to being an all out bust and kick the tires on Ward to much and they could fall off. Now with Holmes gone (and Washington in Tennessee) I would imagine the Steelers are very likely to pursue a WR higher up in the draft and doubt they will seek out Marshall for the Broncos asking price. If for some reason they choose to do that in the first round some plans could change at the top of the second (St. Louis or Tampa) where Denver might be able to trade for a top second round and some additional compensation on the back end (next year or later rounds in 2010).

We'll see. The only team in the first round that has the Owner with the will and an open piece to their roster that would immediately benefit IMO is Dallas

what about seattle or washington?

both have super-deep pockets owners, big money/big profile new coaches, and gaping holes on their depth chart where wide receivers should be. . .

(Marshalls physical play combined with Austins speed would be a solid combo), but I give that a 5% chance. Williams, I believe, just got nearly a 10 million bonus option in his contract and the only way they take a guy like MArshall is if they free up some of that room with Williams salary. They did just build a ridiculous stadium, plus the fear of a lockout year, means money may not flow in Dallas like it used to. Plus they have other needs their position in the first could be used to address.

Lancane
04-12-2010, 02:14 AM
It means absolutely nothing, when someone looks at the two receivers cautiously and with level head, they would see that Marshall has made strides to improve, he has no assault convictions and within the past few years been convicted of a DUI or two. Holmes is literally psychopathic, he did not just hit his girlfriend or have a verbal fight with her...he literally tried to strangle one of his baby's mommas! He's been busted for legal substances and so on. Seriously, compared to Holmes...Marshall is a G'damn saint.

Do I believe this will change the value for Marshall, maybe a little but not by leaps and bounds. He is far less risky then Holmes, there is no age factor since he is still quite young and he's a proven gamechanger. And let's not forget that concerns over Bryant's character have likewise raised Marshall's value some. Sanchez wanted another receiver he's been lobbying for Marshall, but the team felt the risk reward for a fifth round pick for Holmes would allow them to add a talented wideout (even with his issues) for far less; the Jet's seriously were considering giving up their first round pick for Marshall in my opinion.

What does this mean...that the Steelers will be looking at Bryant and probably at Marshall, don't be surprised if Pittsburgh throws a few picks our way for the 'Beast'.

BigBroncLove
04-12-2010, 03:22 AM
what about seattle or washington?

both have super-deep pockets owners, big money/big profile new coaches, and gaping holes on their depth chart where wide receivers should be. . .

I think Seattle goes without saying as a potential suitor. I was thinking of editing my post to include that after I posted it, but I figured that was assumed based on the current course of events.

As for the redskins. I just don't think so anymore, not without draft day maneuvering by Washington to trade back. Obviously they won't trade the #4 overall pick and their second rounder now belongs to the Eagles, so currently I don't find them a serious possibility. If they trade back on draft day I think that could change, but I think Shanahan would be more likely to send a fourth rounder to Denver for Scheffler than a first or high second + a little somethin somethin for Marshall. He doesn't have many draft picks to work with currently anyhow with plenty of needs (and for him, I'm sure he sees getting much higher value for Scheffler and while still getting an immediate weapon) :)

NameUsedBefore
04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
It means he's going to the Jets. The perfect sleight of hand.

WARHORSE
04-12-2010, 04:36 AM
It only means something if the Broncos allow it to.

I believe this means that BM will most likely stay here this year.

Lancane
04-12-2010, 05:00 AM
It only means something if the Broncos allow it to.

I believe this means that BM will most likely stay here this year.

You're probably dead on, recently I've re-read the articles and reports on this year's receiver class, and I have seriously come to the conclusion that it's one of weakest in recent memory...that could explain why Denver has looked at so many wideouts in this class so far. We are likely to risk a pick on someone because we need to become more explosive offensively...but unless we are taking two of the top five available, most of these kids are serious developmental projects. Bryant makes the class, but after him? Benn, Tate, Gilyard, Thomas, all come from spread or whacked offenses. There are some mid round guys worth risking a pick on because of production, such as White, Hodge, Mitchell, Decker and Easley.

This class is just too thin in my opinion, and I believe we will see Marshall garnish serious interest on draft day because of the weakness of this class. Come on, the Jets were willing to give up a 5th round pick for Holmes, the posterchild for shock therapy instead of going for Bryant or Tate...that should in itself say something. But can Denver afford to trade Marshall? Unless they plan on drafting Bryant and Gilyard or another combination of two of the top five receivers then it could be a bad move. Mayock even proclaimed that Bryant is a top five talent that comes with a 'warning tag'.

Smart move would be for Denver to keep Marshall unless they are offered a deal they could not refuse, which is hard to believe there will be one.

Nomad
04-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Yea, dont think he is going anywhere. Guess Brandon should of taken that last contract offer.

Pretty simple....it means Marshall is one less team from going anywhere and he won't be a Jet!

CoachChaz
04-12-2010, 07:20 AM
If it's obvious to us here that the Jets fleeced the Steelers...dont you think NFL brass might think the same thing? So teams are now going to refuse to give up a 1st or 2nd for Marshal because Holmes went for a 5th? Sorry...but if Marshall was going to go for a 1st or 2nd...he'd be gone already.

Now maybe some team realizes that the player they want in the draft wont be there and they try to negotiate with Denver, but let's not pretend the Holmes deal has ANYTHING to do with a Marshall deal other than maybe that the rest of the NFL is tired of trouble-making diva WR's and arent willing to pay top dollar/compensation for them.

Lancane
04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
If it's obvious to us here that the Jets fleeced the Steelers...dont you think NFL brass might think the same thing? So teams are now going to refuse to give up a 1st or 2nd for Marshal because Holmes went for a 5th? Sorry...but if Marshall was going to go for a 1st or 2nd...he'd be gone already.

Now maybe some team realizes that the player they want in the draft wont be there and they try to negotiate with Denver, but let's not pretend the Holmes deal has ANYTHING to do with a Marshall deal other than maybe that the rest of the NFL is tired of trouble-making diva WR's and arent willing to pay top dollar/compensation for them.

New York in no way fleeced Pittsburgh, they wanted to rid themselves of Holmes who is in worse trouble then Big Ben at this time. And Holmes is not a diva receiver, he's a damn scumbag... It's utterly moronic for anyone with any brain cells to compare the two, Marshall did not try to strangle his girlfriend, he may have been busted for DUI's, but he has not been busted for using illegal substances either. The two are vastly different and at least we see Marshall making strides to improve, Holmes has done nothing but get worse.

CoachChaz
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Because it's okay to slap a woman around...but when you put your hands around their neck...you move to a different level of scumbag.

Beating a woman is beating a woman.

broncofaninfla
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
The first round having it's own day this year is a new dynamic to the draft. Teams now have a whole evening to mull over the first round and which direction will be best for them and who will be there and who won't. I'd be willing to bet there will more significantly more trades between rounds 1 and 2 than in years past. I think this will be window when Marshall will be traded.

TXBRONC
04-12-2010, 09:17 AM
If all they got for Santonio was a 5th, do you seriously think they'll consider giving anything more than a 3rd for Marshall? In all honesty, this move singlehandedly bent us over the barrel when it comes to getting fair compensation for Marshall. The only way this can end well for us, imho, is with a makeout session between Marshall and McD.

I don't think we're bent over a barrel unless McDaniels feels his need to get rid of Marshall is greater than his need to get fair compensation. Now if McDaniels is intent on sticking to his guns and no team comes up with a first round pick Marshall will be here another year. If Marshall stays that's year to work out the differences.

Northman
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Because it's okay to slap a woman around...but when you put your hands around their neck...you move to a different level of scumbag.

Got to keep your pimp hand strong mate. :lol:

All i can do is shake my head at the apologies made for such actions.

CoachChaz
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Got to keep your pimp hand strong mate. :lol:

All i can do is shake my head at the apologies made for such actions.

Yeah...kind of like how it's okay to drive drunk as long as the guy you run over walks out in the street at a bad time.

Jaywalking > drunk driving

Choking a woman > slapping the shit out of a woman

Nomad
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah...kind of like how it's okay to drive drunk as long as the guy you run over walks out in the street at a bad time.

Jaywalking > drunk driving

Choking a woman > slapping the shit out of a woman

Get it right, it was hangover driving!!:D

CoachChaz
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Get it right, it was hangover driving!!:D

My bad.

Lancane
04-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Do you know the details of Marshall's arrest or that of his girlfriend's? I love how people think they know crap but they do not...we have no idea of what happened besides both were in trouble for a domestic altercation and charges were dropped. Let me explain a little something to you, I don't believe in hitting a woman either, but this day and age women are not all roses many of them have thorns on their stems or are just thorn bushes themselves. Women are not all gentle creatures like you so madly wish to believe, I've seen one drive a pickup truck through a house trying to kill her husband simply because she was pissed, another stabbed her husband because he wanted a divorce. Sometime shit happens and there is no alternative, so unless you got video of what exactly happened then your speculating at best. What would you do if a woman was trying to stab you with a knife, tell her 'No', explain the way society works? What if she's throwing lamps and china at you, you gonna let her beat your ass to a bloody pulp? If you would do so then your chivalry is amazing and you surpass most men in this day and age!

We know that Marshall and his girlfriend had a fight, Holmes tried to strangle (attempted murder according to common sense) his ex-girlfriend. I'm sorry you can not tell the difference or that with DUI's and drug abuse, I mean hell...not like anyone else gets a DUI here and there. Whoops you forgot there are at least three that have such on the team. But because of the domestic crap we should hold it over his head...that makes complete sense.

Northman
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Do you know the details of Marshall's arrest or that of his girlfriend's? I love how people think they know crap but they do not...we have no idea of what happened besides both were in trouble for a domestic altercation and charges were dropped. Let me explain a little something to you, I don't believe in hitting a woman either, but this day and age women are not all roses many of them have thorns on their stems or are just thorn bushes themselves. Women are not all gentle creatures like you so madly wish to believe, I've seen one drive a pickup truck through a house trying to kill her husband simply because she was pissed, another stabbed her husband because he wanted a divorce. Sometime shit happens and there is no alternative, so unless you got video of what exactly happened then your speculating at best. What would you do if a woman was trying to stab you with a knife, tell her 'No', explain the way society works? What if she's throwing lamps and china at you, you gonna let her beat your ass to a bloody pulp? If you would do so then your chivalry is amazing and you surpass most men in this day and age!

We know that Marshall and his girlfriend had a fight, Holmes tried to strangle (attempted murder according to common sense) his ex-girlfriend. I'm sorry you can not tell the difference or that with DUI's and drug abuse, I mean hell...not like anyone else gets a DUI here and there. Whoops you forgot there are at least three that have such on the team. But because of the domestic crap we should hold it over his head...that makes complete sense.

:lol:

So you dont know the circumstances about Marshall but you do about Holmes. Wonderful. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lancane
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
:lol:

So you dont know the circumstances about Marshall but you do about Holmes. Wonderful. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Laugh all you want, but according to the reports Holmes tried to strangle his ex...what would you have gotten from a news report that a man fired a gun at his kid? That he was trying to teach his kid gun safety? Ignorance is bliss as they say!

:coffee:

Northman
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Laugh all you want, but according to the reports Holmes tried to strangle his ex...what would you have gotten from a news report that a man fired a gun at his kid? That he was trying to teach his kid gun safety? Ignorance is bliss as they say!

:coffee:

Yet, kicking your fiance on the ground means nothing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your right, ignorance is VERY bliss. I guess they are only bad when they arent on YOUR team. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zweems56
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't we're bent over a barrel unless McDaniels feels his need to get rid of Marshall is greater than his need to get fair compensation. Now if McDaniels is intent on sticking to his guns and no team comes up with a first round pick Marshall will be here another year. If Marshall stays that's year to work out the differences.

I said bent over the barrel as far as getting fair compensation for Marshall is concerned. Wasn't saying that its going to go one way or the other, I was just saying that because of this trade, there's no way that we get fair compensation for him.

CoachChaz
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Yet, kicking your fiance on the ground means nothing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your right, ignorance is VERY bliss. I guess they are only bad when they arent on YOUR team. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Correction...the only ones that are bad are the ones that fit the argument.

Hey, we've all wanted to slap or choke a woman (dont lie and say we havent), but how many of us actually acted on it? Slapping, kicking, choking...whatever. Point is they succumbed to anger and did something stupid. The level is irrelevant.

...and how the hell does a pro football player "attempt" to kill a woman by choking her? Did she turn inito Chuck Norris at the last minute? I have a feeling that if an NFL player has his hands around a woman's neck with the intent to kill her...he's going to be successful.

T.K.O.
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
am i the only one here who has watched an episode or 2 of "snapped" ?
women are f'n dangerous:shocked:

oh and as for the topic...i don't think the holmes trade will have any impact on what happens with marshall.....he's suitin' up in the orange and blue in 2010....it's the cba

broncophan
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I applaud the steelers for getting rid of Holmes......the Steelers are a proud franchise...........many teams would like to have the image(and the sb rings) that the steelers have had over the years.....not saying they have always been "squeeky clean"....but for the most part....they have been the class of the nfl.

The broncos are not far from being right there with the steelers....as far as a class franchise.

The broncos need to rid themselves of Marshall........just not for a fifth round draft pick though....:)

SmilinAssasSin27
04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
It means the Steelers are out of their minds. Wow.

I think their track record gives tham the flexibility to be "out of their minds."

And the above quote, to me, is the problem. Holmes was a distraction. He continued to act up and finally Pittsburgh got fed up. They were gonna cut his ass til NYJ swooped in and offered a 5th for him. So the Steelers "gave him away". But that's what winners do. They make the tough decisions and battle thru it because they have core values which breed winning. Yet half the people here wanna keep the sideshow that is Brandon Marshall. Who cares that the leaders of the team want him gone? He's really muscular. Who cares that he quit on his team? He catches a lot of balls. Who cares that he is one more screw up away from a 4-8 game suspension? He's super tall. Winners don't deal w/ the BS. Look at Pittsburgh. Look at NE. And even look at Indy. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit peculiar that Marvin Harrison disappeared from the face of the planet after the little incident outside his business? These 3 franchises have combined for 6 rings in the past decade...because they do it the right way and eliminate the distractions and problem children. How many rings do Oakland, Cincy, Dallas have in the past decade? How many does Denver have?