PDA

View Full Version : Green looks to help Broncos begin climb

broncobryce
04-10-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/09/green-looks-to-help-broncos-begin-climb
By Dan Parr

New Broncos DE Jarvis Green says he's happy to be in Denver and is enjoying getting to know his teammates, but don't ask him for any predictions about next season.

"That's bad luck in this business," he told PFW. "I could say I'm going to go climb Pikes Peak or something. I could say something like that, but I can't say much about what's going to happen on the football field.

"I've been looking at the mountains. I'm curious about just going out there and checking it out. I can say this: I will make a trip up to the mountains, but I can't say much about what's going to happen on the football field."

Green, who spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Patriots, signed a four-year deal that included $7 million guaranteed, according to reports, in March. While some expect him to become the Broncos' starting right end, Green said there was no discussion about what his role would be before he signed the deal.

"We know what we have to do," he said. "It's not like (head coach Josh McDaniels) had to sit there and put something on paper. Coaches and players change teams every year, but the biggest goal is to win."

Winning didn't come easy for Denver after the first six games of last season, when it dropped eight of its final 10 contests and missed the postseason. A lack of quality depth on the defensive line became an issue for the team, and the Broncos aggressively pursued some veterans to plug into their "30" front when free agency began. In addition to Green, Denver signed former Ravens DL Justin Bannan and former Chargers NT Jamal Williams.

Green is optimistic about the team's chances of bouncing back from the poor second half in 2010. He saw the Broncos' potential firsthand last season, when his Patriots fell in Denver, 20-17, on Oct. 11. His familiarity with McDaniels, who was the Patriots' defensive quality-control coach in 2002 when Green was a rookie, also played a role in his decision.

"It's just funny because, you know, eight years ago I never thought I'd be sitting here having Josh McDaniels be my head coach," Green said. "It's a blessing."

Green said he had to check in with McDaniels every morning during that '02 season, and the two would talk football for 30-45 minutes.

"He was hungry to learn," Green said. "I was the same way. He was hungry and he was always positive."

Green has made only three sacks in the past two seasons after making 14 combined in '06 and '07, but McDaniels clearly believed he had something left in the tank. The 31-year-old adds versatility — he moved around the line quite a bit while with the Patriots, playing both the five- and three-technique, amongst other spots, at times. He's not sure exactly where he'll line up with his new squad.

"We haven't been doing anything with football," Green said. "Right now we're just working out and lifting weights."

The Broncos are currently in the voluntary-workout phase of the offseason, but the first minicamps will begin after the draft, when Green's role should become more defined.

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.

broncobryce
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll give the guy 6 sacks this season. I would be happy with that.

Buff
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
I'll give the guy 6 sacks this season. I would be happy with that.

I don't care how many sacks he has. His job first and foremost is to stop the run.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Vonnie Holliday is equal or better and a whole lot cheaper.

SoCalImport
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM

There's got to be a reason Holliday didn't play a lot of snaps last year.

He's only a few years older than Green, but (IMO) His legs are MUCH older. He's been a starter for most of his career, while Green was a back-up forever.

btw. Has anyone shown interest in Holliday yet? that we know of?

rationalfan
04-10-2010, 02:35 PM

perhaps. but i don't remember holliday playing on too many running plays.

Ziggy
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
There's got to be a reason Holliday didn't play a lot of snaps last year.

He's only a few years older than Green, but (IMO) His legs are MUCH older. He's been a starter for most of his career, while Green was a back-up forever.

btw. Has anyone shown interest in Holliday yet? that we know of?

The Seahawks brought him in for a visit, but didn't sign him. Other than that I have no idea.

Bosco
04-10-2010, 03:27 PM

I don't really agree there. Holliday is older and wears down faster as a starter.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Whats a good site for stats? I'd be almost willing to bet Holliday was twice the player Green was in 2009.

Ziggy
04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Whats a good site for stats? I'd be almost willing to bet Holliday was twice the player Green was in 2009.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=10&stype=a&stats=d

Keep in mind though, that they both played different roles last season. Green was a full time starter while Holliday was used in a situational role.

dogfish
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't care how many sacks he has. His job first and foremost is to stop the run.

i agree with the spirit of your comment, but i'm not actually so sure that's accurate. . . typically his strength has been more as a situational pass rusher, and i got the feeling that's one of the main things we got him for. . . i'm guessing he might rotate with mcbean at one end (and bannan starting pretty much fulltime at the other), with green playing more on second and third downs. . .

that's just speculation, of course-- we'll see. . . .

Tempus Fugit
04-11-2010, 01:34 AM

If you're looking to Green as a run stopper, you're probably in for a long season of disappointment. His inability to stop the run was one of the reasons the Patriots ended up moving Wilfork out to DE on a couple of occasions.

Timmy!
04-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Green>Holliday

The Broncos D-line is much improved over last season and should pay serious dividends in the 2nd half of the season. Much more talent and depth, and this is all before the draft.

BigBroncLove
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
If you're looking to Green as a run stopper, you're probably in for a long season of disappointment. His inability to stop the run was one of the reasons the Patriots ended up moving Wilfork out to DE on a couple of occasions.

This can also be equated to two things that may well have assisted this issue for Green. That was being worn down from being in a starter role, but I think the more important is his knee injury, which coincided very closely with his drop off in play.

What I like most about this article is that Green spoke specifically that the talks he had with McDaniels so far no where outlined his role in the defense. He has neither been pegged as a starter, sub, or anything else. He will be able to define his role through work on the team (and perhaps that may be further penciled in by who the Broncos draft).

However I would not immediately peg Green's ability against the run off of last years performance due to a nagging injury that he had mid-season surgery on.

broncobryce
04-11-2010, 02:17 PM
This can also be equated to two things that may well have assisted this issue for Green. That was being worn down from being in a starter role, but I think the more important is his knee injury, which coincided very closely with his drop off in play.

What I like most about this article is that Green spoke specifically that the talks he had with McDaniels so far no where outlined his role in the defense. He has neither been pegged as a starter, sub, or anything else. He will be able to define his role through work on the team (and perhaps that may be further penciled in by who the Broncos draft).

However I would not immediately peg Green's ability against the run off of last years performance due to a nagging injury that he had mid-season surgery on.

I like how he stated McD was 'hungry, and always positive.'

broncobryce
04-11-2010, 02:17 PM

I like how he stated McD was 'hungry, and always positive.'

broncofaninfla
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=10&stype=a&stats=d

Keep in mind though, that they both played different roles last season. Green was a full time starter while Holliday was used in a situational role.

Despite playing a limited role last season, Holliday was statistically superior to Green. It's not even close. Green got more playing time yet wasn't near as effective as Holliday. Green was paid a starters pay by Denver to come in and play the same role Holliday played last season at a bargain rate. Denver paid more for a lesser player in Green. As for Green being solid against the run? He never was at New England and I doubt he will be in Denver. While I did like the Bannon and Williams signings, I hate the Green signing.

Bosco
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Despite playing a limited role last season, Holliday was statistically superior to Green. It's not even close. Green got more playing time yet wasn't near as effective as Holliday. Green was paid a starters pay by Denver to come in and play the same role Holliday played last season at a bargain rate. Denver paid more for a lesser player in Green. As for Green being solid against the run? He never was at New England and I doubt he will be in Denver. While I did like the Bannon and Williams signings, I hate the Green signing. Like Holliday, Green is better suited as a backup/situation player. He's a perfectly capable starter, but as we saw in 06 and 07, if you limit his snaps he can become a real force when he is in the game.

Although I haven't seen the numbers myself, I have a friend who says the metrics on Jarvis Green improve with the fewer snaps he plays. As a full time starter he gets worn down and his production suffers. Luckily in Denver we'll be able to rotate him with McBean, keeping them both fresh.

broncofaninfla
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Like Holliday, Green is better suited as a backup/situation player. He's a perfectly capable starter, but as we saw in 06 and 07, if you limit his snaps he can become a real force when he is in the game.

Although I haven't seen the numbers myself, I have a friend who says the metrics on Jarvis Green improve with the fewer snaps he plays. As a full time starter he gets worn down and his production suffers. Luckily in Denver we'll be able to rotate him with McBean, keeping them both fresh.

He is being paid a starters wage but I hope your right. Holliday did a good job in that role last year, hopefully Green comes through and does even better.

Bosco
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
He is being paid a starters wage but I hope your right. Holliday did a good job in that role last year, hopefully Green comes through and does even better.

Green's contract is basically for 2 years and $7 million. They can pick up the extra years and that, along with some performance escalators make the max value higher. The AAV though, is par for the course for a player of his caliber.

broncofaninfla
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Green's contract is basically for 2 years and $7 million. They can pick up the extra years and that, along with some performance escalators make the max value higher. The AAV though, is par for the course for a player of his caliber.

I can't help but think this is LaKevin part II...............

Bosco
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I can't help but think this is LaKevin part II...............

I don't see how there is any connection to the two of them.

dogfish
04-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't see how there is any connection to the two of them.

because mcdaniels signed both of them, and clearly everything he does is WRONG. . . .

make more sense now?

:D

Bosco
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
because mcdaniels signed both of them, and clearly everything he does is WRONG. . . .

make more sense now?

:D

:lol: