PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen anyone?

Ziggy
04-18-2008, 02:19 PM
The Cheifs have put Jared Allen on the block. I don't think there's any way they trade him inside the division, but does anyone else like the idea of getting a top flight pass rusher? It will probably cost a 1st round pick +. The Broncos have pressing needs at DT and Oline, but a pass rusher that can play the run well would help the defense instantly. This guy has a motor that never stops, and demands constant double teams. With him in the fold, a trade for Robertson, our D-line might actually be a strength this season. I'm for the trade. Anyone else?

Davii
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Not for a first rounder. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd. The contract he will command will be ridiculous. The money we would spend coupled with a draft pick that high, IMO, isn't worth it.

DenBronx
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
so we bypass the most valuable position which is dt and throw away a bunch of money for yet another de when we already have ekuban,moss,crowder and dume??? i'll pass on allen.

underrated29
04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
WE are stacked at DE, crowder, doom, moss,ekuban. We can def get to the qb, we dont need another. We need to collapse the pocket, and we need tostop the run.

I dont think we need, nor do i wasnt him for the price tag.

Rex
04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
No.

Italianmobstr7
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
If randy moss was had for a 4th, then there's no way in hell that allen is worth a #1. Regardless though, we need dt's, not another de.

LRtagger
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I wouldnt give up a 1st for him. We have some promising young pass rushers that could break out this year and many more pressing needs on this team. It would be tempting, but I would be more inclined to trade up for Ellis or Dorsey before I would give away a first plus more for Allen. He is a great player, but I would have to pass.

Slick
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
While I think he is better than any DE we currently have on the roster, I'd say no.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I would trade for him with no questions asked... the last KC pro bowl DE to play for us did alright.... Neil Smith anyone?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Why would we trade for a position where we have a rising player in Dumervil, along with two first and second round picks from last year? Furthermore, we have a few decent role players behind them and DE is probably the least of our worries right now. Factor in the aforementioned with the fact we'd be giving a division rival more picks to help their team and I don't even see how this question can be seriously asked.

silkamilkamonico
04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Not the first rounder, but Denver should consider trading Dumervil and Moss/Crowder for him. If we traded for Allen we don't need all those DE's. I bet if we threw Dumervil/Moss/Crowder for Allen, maybe they would also give us a 4th round pick.

Retired_Member_001
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I am always for trading for great superstar talents despite other needs. HOWEVER, the need at DT,OT is so big that there is no way I would make this trade. Jared Allen is a top end defensive end but other needs are just TOO big.

BroncoJoe
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Absolutely, unequivocally, 100% YES.

Sincerely,

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd like to see Jared Alllen in Broncoville but for the 12th. The 2nd rounder and a late rounder is a YES.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
WE are stacked at DE, crowder, doom, moss,ekuban. We can def get to the qb, we dont need another. We need to collapse the pocket, and we need tostop the run.

I don't think we need, nor do i wasnt him for the price tag.

Neither of the 4 DEs you mention are in the Elite Caliber as Allan however.

JONtheBRONCO
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Um... no

Requiem / The Dagda
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll take one of the league's top pass rushers in Elvis Dumervil and plug an up and coming traditional left side defensive end in Tim Crowder (for the old timers here, perhaps the next Barney Chavous) next to him and have some rotations and mix ups with a high potential (if healthy) Jarvis Moss than dishing out not only high draft picks; but a huge contract for Jared Allen. Even if it wasn't to a division rival, I'd have a problem given the fact that we don't have the money to give him such a huge deal - and that we already have some good depth and starters at the position.

Retired_Member_001
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Neither of the 4 DEs you mention are in the Elite Caliber as Allan however.

This is true, although they do have the potential.

Jarvis Moss was a straight up beast before he got injured and Tim Crowder has been solid all season. Dumervil will never be elite because of his lack of size though.

Rex
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Absolutely, unequivocally, 100% YES.

Sincerely,

He probably has a Broncos jersey with #69 on it and he pretends that his man crush actually plays for the Broncos.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Jarvis Moss was a straight up beast before he got injured and Tim Crowder has been solid all season. Dumervil will never be elite because of his lack of size though.

Jarvis was a Beast? When? I missed it. He only got 1 sack and 14 tackles in 6 games that he did play before breaking his shin in practice. He's got a lot of potential but zero experience. He didn't even play much in college as well.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/libranoelrose/jaredstrippingtheball.jpg

niner wishes he was Adrian in this picture.

Retired_Member_001
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Jarvis was a Beast? When? I missed it. He only got 1 sack and 14 tackles in 6 games that he did play before breaking his shin in practice. He's got a lot of potential but zero experience. He didn't even play much in college as well.

He didn't get to play an awful lot. In the time he did get he was ALWAYS in the Quarterbacks face. If he can work on his game and fitness a little more, he will get to play more often and he will be doing that kind of thing again. Don't forget what he was doing during the season before his broken leg.

NameUsedBefore
04-18-2008, 05:21 PM
We are stacked with potential at DE. We have a beast in Dumervill, why would we want Allen especially at the expense of a first round pick and a hefty salary cap hit? Besides cornerback one could argue that DE is the last thing that needs addressing on our defense.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
He didn't get to play an awful lot. In the time he did get he was ALWAYS in the Quarterbacks face. If he can work on his game and fitness a little more, he will get to play more often and he will be doing that kind of thing again. Don't forget what he was doing during the season before his broken leg.

Jarvis Moss got 1 sack and 14 tackles in 6 games in 2007. I didn't see him involved in may plays much less get in opposing QB's faces a lot. Maybe the NFL should make that a record able stat, getting within 2 yards of the QB's face. Need I say more?

Reidman
04-18-2008, 05:42 PM
JA would do good things for Denver no doubt but his contribution versus our more pressing needs doesn't warrant trading for him IMO. Plus, I think he has his sights set on Minnesota, at least that's what ESPN was reporting...

Skinny
04-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Our Qb pressure still is'nt where it needs to be to be an efficient defense. Last season i beleive that had more to do with injuries to our DEs than talent. I'm reluctant to give up on the young core we have going for us right now and hold off on Allen. Atleast till i see what we can do with a nice, healthy rotation going.

Npba900
04-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I say no on Allen. Denver needs to stick with their game plan this season and build thru the draft. Like other posters have said, Denver needs to see what they have at DE with the players they already have. Plus, there are some really good DT's in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. In fact, Shanahan and Denver needs to stay focused and discipline and stay away from FA in 2009 and build thru the draft.

Having had good drafts in 2006, 2007, coupled with 2008 and 2009, allows Denver to save money by avoiding over priced FA (the Steelers are experts in this area), and Denver can draft the players with the right character to be Broncos.

Then in 2010, Denver should open their wallets and go after FA's at this time. By 2010, Denver will have had 5 consecutive years of having good drafts. Also, by 2010, Cutler will be entering his 4th year as a starter and his talent should start to really shine. You add veterans at key positions and Denver should be ready for a few SB runs.

Besides, Bowlen needs two consecutive years of staying out of the FA market to get some of his money BACK!!!:eek:

Lastly, Denver is drafting 12th in 2008, I wouldn't mind if Denver drafts 6th in 2009!!! Question is, how would the Bronco Faithful feel about drafting as high as 6th in the 1st round in 2009.....that means another loosing season in 2008. Ummmmm.......drafting 6th overall sure would allow Denver to draft that highly coveted special player. Can Shanahan still keep his job or will Fans yell for Shanahan's resignation or firing.

BroncoWave
04-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow, and I thought the Jeremy Shockey thread was a bad idea.

Yeah, that's exactly what we need is another pass-rusher, when we already have about 2-3 very capable ones.

God I hate the offseason.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Doomerville, Crowder, Jarvis, Engleburger and Ekuban doesn't exactly scare an OTs in this league. We went after John Carney last year, it's not a far fetch that Coach Shanny has Jared Allan in his mind.

BroncoWave
04-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Doomerville, Crowder, Jarvis, Engleburger and Ekuban doesn't exactly scare an OTs in this league. We went after John Carney last year, it's not a far fetch that Coach Shanny has Jared Allan in his mind.

No one is saying that Allen isn't probably as good or better than any of our DE's. What we are saying is that it would be beyond stupid to trade a high draft pick for a player who plays one of our strongest positions and doesn't fill any holes.

LRtagger
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM

amazing...you would trade our #1+ for a player who plays the position where we have arguably the strongest and youngest depth on the entire team and a position that we have used recent high picks to address, but wouldnt want to use our #1 to replace an UNRELIABLE AND OLD TRAVIS HENRY

pot, meet my friend mr. kettle

Crowder was a ROOK last year, young and talented
Moss was a ROOK last year who showed signs of becoming a solid player
Doom was in his second season last year. He should provide 10 sacks a year for many more years
Ekuban is a pretty solid vet who unfortunately was injured for the entire season, but in 2006 he had 63 tackles and 8 sacks
Engleberger isn't going to get you a ton of sacks, but he is solid depth wise

besides, the last thing we need is another player on this team who enjoys the "bar scene"

Peterson's relationship with Allen has been strained ever since Peterson, in the wake of Allen's DUI convictions, described him as "a young man at risk." Allen, who could be suspended for a season if he has another alcohol-related episode, has said he would not negotiate with Kansas City if he doesn't get a contract done by next July.

thats exactly what this team needs...three starters who would be suspended or kicked off the team for getting into trouble one more time :confused:

scott.475
04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
And if signing a big, fat contract isn't reason to prompt "another alcohol-related episode", I don't know what would be. Absolutely not worth the risk. He won't get us any sacks by watching football on his TV while serving his suspension, and Denver is certainly not in a place where we could afford it.

Bad, bad idea.

Bronco9798
04-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Please don't anybody compare Elvis or anyone on our roster to Jared Allen. Allen is a beast. His forced fumbles, sacks, and pressures are the best in the league year in and year out. I would kill to have a guy with his motor and his talent. The dude is an absolute beast, period. I'd trade our 12 and a 3rd for him in a heart beat. There is no one on our roster that will match his numbers. Anyone who thinks Doom is as good or better than Allen, you are just football stupid.

TXBRONC
04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Heck no I wouldn't trade the 12th pick in the draft for Jared Allen. Yes he is terrific pass rusher but why spend a ton of money on him? We have three young guys who cost far less and we need help on the interior line to go along with Thomas.

Bronco9798
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Heck no I wouldn't trade the 12th pick in the draft for Jared Allen. Yes he is terrific pass rusher but why spend a ton of money on him? We have three young guys who cost far less and we need help on the interior line to go along with Thomas.

Ok, so you have three young guys. Can the three combined do what Allen does year in and out? Of course not. Allen would eat Moss alive in overall numbers. It's a no brainer. Allen is proven, Moss is an undersized project.

BroncoWave
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, so you have three young guys. Can the three combined do what Allen does year in and out? Of course not. Allen would eat Moss alive in overall numbers. It's a no brainer. Allen is proven, Moss is an undersized project.

You're missing the point though. We already have 2-3 pretty good defensive ends. Sure, he is probably better than any of them but it would be idiotic to trade the 12th overall pick for someone who plays a position that we are already pretty solid at. Offensive tackle, defensive tackle, wide receiver, running back, safety, linebacker, and kicker are all more pressing needs for us than defensive end.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
amazing...you would trade our #1+ for a player who plays the position where we have arguably the strongest and youngest depth on the entire team and a position that we have used recent high picks to address, but wouldnt want to use our #1 to replace an UNRELIABLE AND OLD TRAVIS HENRY

pot, meet my friend mr. kettle

Crowder was a ROOK last year, young and talented
Moss was a ROOK last year who showed signs of becoming a solid player
Doom was in his second season last year. He should provide 10 sacks a year for many more years
Ekuban is a pretty solid vet who unfortunately was injured for the entire season, but in 2006 he had 63 tackles and 8 sacks
Engleberger isn't going to get you a ton of sacks, but he is solid depth wise

besides, the last thing we need is another player on this team who enjoys the "bar scene"

thats exactly what this team needs...three starters who would be suspended or kicked off the team for getting into trouble one more time :confused:

You're missing the point though. We already have 2-3 pretty good defensive ends. Sure, he is probably better than any of them but it would be idiotic to trade the 12th overall pick for someone who plays a position that we are already pretty solid at. Offensive tackle, defensive tackle, wide receiver, running back, safety, linebacker, and kicker are all more pressing needs for us than defensive end.

Allen is an immediate huge upgrade to our defense. The Broncos do not have a game changing DE on the roster. If mediocre is what you're looking for, then that is exactly what we have with the current group of DEs.

The Broncos would work to bring in an ELITE DE 1st before they would waste a #12 on a Stewart or a Mendenhall in the draft. However, OT is the glaring need then anything else in between then a RB. It's just not the Broncos way to waste a 1st rounder, especially 1 so high on a RB.

Draft Jamaal Charles in the early to mid rounds; that is my sleeper RB pick.

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Allen is an immediate huge upgrade to our defense. The Broncos do not have a game changing DE on the roster. If mediocre is what you're looking for, then that is exactly what we have with the current group of DEs.

The Broncos would work to bring in an ELITE DE 1st before they would waste a #12 on a Stewart or a Mendenhall in the draft. However, OT is the glaring need then anything else in between then a RB. It's just not the Broncos way to waste a 1st rounder, especially 1 so high on a RB.

26 to 2 says our wrong give it a rest..

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 10:18 PM
26 to 2 says our wrong give it a rest..

I only voted no because I wouldn't give up the #12 for him. But our 2nd plus a 4th or a player would be a done deal.

BroncoWave
04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I only voted no because I wouldn't give up the #12 for him. But our 2nd plus a 4th or a player would be a done deal.

I'd be all for it given his talent level but his character issue and the possibility of a suspension for one more mess up is a dealbreaker for me.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I'd be all for it given his talent level but his character issue and the possibility of a suspension for one more mess up is a dealbreaker for me.

A DUI is no big deal. I can name you a ton of famous, supposedly high moral people that have had a DUI such as politicians for 1. George W. Bush had a DUI when he was younger. Bush also sorted coke and smoked pot and so did Clinton, but "he didn't inhale." You make it seem as though Jared Allen eats babies for dinner or something.

Let me guess, you never had 3 beers and decided you were good to drive?

BroncoWave
04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
A DUI is no big deal. I can name you a ton of famous, supposedly high moral people that have had a DUI such as politicians for 1. You make it seem like as though he eats babies for dinner or something. Let me guess, you never had 3 beers and decided you were good to drive?

Well first of all, I don't drink so there goes that. Second, it doesn't matter whether or not I think it's a big deal (although personally I think endangering the lives of everyone on the road is a pretty big deal) what matters is that the NFL thinks its a big deal and if he does it one more time, he is done for a whole season. He will do us no good being suspended for a year.

TXBRONC
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Unless they are given a chance to develop we'll never know.

Quite the contrary I don't see this as a no brainer.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I would do it because it would be a huge upgrade to an already strong position. Sure it would cost us, but Jared Allen is one of the top 5 DE in the league and we would be able to trade one or two of the one demensional DE's that we have and upgrade another spot on the roster. Allen's playmaking skills at the DE position are exactly what the Broncos need and Allen's play makes the guys around him so much better.

With this said.... No way in hell the Chiefs trade Jared Allen to us. Carl Peterson might be stupid, but even he isn't that stupid. The Chargers might as well trade us Tomlinson or Gates.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM

Jamaal Charles a sleeper pick......lol
:laugh:

You crack me up

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
There are rumors now that the Patriots are now interested in Jared Allen and are willing to ship he 7th overall pick to Kansas City for him.

Chiefs could have two picks in the top 7...wow

Joel
04-19-2008, 12:23 AM
so we bypass the most valuable position which is dt and throw away a bunch of money for yet another de when we already have ekuban,moss,crowder and dume??? i'll pass on allen.
My sentiments exactly; we have pass rushers coming out the rear and a gaping hole in the dead center of our run D. WTF does Doom have to do before people accept he's a quality pass rusher, anyway? If he stays healthy and motivated Crowder looks like a versatile long term stud much in the mold of Ekuban, but... does anyone know whom are starting DTs are right now...? I'd guess McKinley and Thomas if forced, but even if that wild guess is accurate I'm not nearly as comfortable with that as I am with starting Ekkie and Crowder at end, then swapping one of them with Doom on third down. I'd give my right arm for those kind of options at DT....

As far as KC trading within the division, two words: Neil Smith. ;-p If the Oilers can play two AFL title games against the Chargers and then trade them Charlie Joiner anything's possible; we just have to hope the Dallas Texans owner is dumber than the Houston Oilers owner (it certainly wasn't true in 1962, but Lamar Hunt's dead, and Bud Adams is still very much alive, which is more than his team can say.... ) Heck, before it was over, the Chargers got Smith, too; guess it's a tribute to Al Davis' incompetence that the Raiders are the only AFC West team for which Neil Smith never played (unless you count the Seahawks, a team Davis surely misses having to beat up on twice a year.... )

Joel
04-19-2008, 12:26 AM
There are rumors now that the Patriots are now interested in Jared Allen and are willing to ship he 7th overall pick to Kansas City for him.

I don't know how to feel about that; as a born Oilers fan and converted Broncos fan there aren't many teams I loathe more than the Dallas Texans (at the moment I've got a game saved on Madden '07 where the Broncos are up 255-0 with 2:00 left in the third, but the Chiefs first three possessions resulted in safeties followed by kicks returned for TDs, so that's understandable.... ;-p ) On the other hand, I remain deeply offended that after all the crap they pulled last year the Pats managed to trade their way to not only regaining a first round pick, but a top ten pick at that (Denver missed the playoffs and NE cheated their way to a SB loss, so naturally they pick five spots before us.... :rolleyes: )

Lonestar
04-19-2008, 12:26 AM

but you are arguing like he is your twin brother..

I suspect you lost on this one..

It is not going to happen and its now 27-3.

Give it a rest already..

Lonestar
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM

could fix their OLine in one year..

Nature Boy
04-19-2008, 01:50 AM
but you are arguing like he is your twin brother..

I suspect you lost on this one..

It is not going to happen and its now 27-3.

Give it a rest already..

I lost one here? Really? The Patriots are contemplating their #7 pick Jared Allen's rights and Broncos fans are saying no with their #12? We drafted Jarvis Moss with our #17 last year, gave him a fat rookie contract and Moss was a huge help wasn't he?

Just cause 100 dolts say so doesn't mean it is. :welcome:

Joel
04-19-2008, 02:40 AM
I lost one here? Really? The Patriots are contemplating their #7 pick Jared Allen's rights and Broncos fans are saying no with their #12? We drafted Jarvis Moss with our #17 last year, gave him a fat rookie contract and Moss was a huge help wasn't he?

Moss was hurt most of last year, so it's not much of a comparison, unless you're arguing Allen will miss most of next year due to injury, in which case the question becomes not "is it worth his 2008 performance?" but "is it worth his 2009 performance?" Since Moss has a LOT more years left in him than Allen that seems like a ridiculous question--especially when the cap hit for Moss was substantially less than what Allen would incur (which is at least half the reason he's up for trade.... )

My daddy raised me a Cowboys fan (which made life interesting in the late '80s and early '90s, when Dallas was on CBS and Hoston on NBC, frequently in competing timeslots... ) so I'm leery of these "trade one Pro Bowler for half a team of starters" deals. That's not the problem for me though; the problem is we have pass rushers galore and NOTHING at DT, so I fail to see how adding pass rushers (as we've done each of the last two years... ) will help. Without a dominant NT all it means is other Broncos DEs will be double teamed in '08....

Nature Boy
04-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Before Moss broke his shin practice and sat out the rest of the season. Jarvis Moss played in 6 games in which he recorded a measly 1 sack and 14 tackles. At #17, Moss was guaranteed about $8-9 mil. The #12 this year will be guaranteed around #12-13 mil(my estimate).

I don't know what Jared Allen is scheduled to make this year or if he'll demand a new deal, but Allan is only 26 yrs old, about to hit his prime. You know you'll get what you pay for with Allan, but as it looks now, it's hard to say that with Jarvis Moss and his whopping 1 sack and 14 tackles in 6 games.

Kinda like paying $35k for a $15k Kia when you can pay $50k for a $60k BMW. Let me know if that is a good analogy.

This year's #12 can be a crap shoot again. I'm changing my vote now to YES. If we're lucky enough to trade our #12 for Jared Allan, I say heck YEA!

Joel
04-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Before Moss broke his shin practice and sat out the rest of the season. Jarvis Moss played in 6 games in which he recorded a measly 1 sack and 14 tackles. At #17, Moss was guaranteed about $8-9 mil. The #12 this year will be guaranteed around #12-13 mil(my estimate).

I don't know what Jared Allen is scheduled to make this year or if he'll demand a new deal, but Allan is only 26 yrs old, about to hit his prime. You know you'll get what you pay for with Allan, but as it looks now, it's hard to say that with Jarvis Moss and his whopping 1 sack and 14 tackles in 6 games.

Kinda like paying $35k for a $15k Kia when you can pay $50k for a $60k BMW. Let me know if that is a good analogy.

This year's #12 can be a crap shoot again. I'm changing my vote now to YES. If we're lucky enough to trade our #12 for Jared Allan, I say heck YEA!
I'm just reluctant to give up the best first round pick in the last decade for a guy we don't really need who carries a high price tag. Observers take note: Morambar limited himself to one sentence that fully expressed his feelings. ;-p

LRtagger
04-19-2008, 08:27 AM

way to look at it objectively :rolleyes:

The Patriots dont have the young and promising depth at the position that the Broncos do...and they have FAR FEWER holes to fill on their team than the Broncos do. Richard Seymour had 1.5 sacks last season. One against MIAMI and 1/2 against the JETS.

No one is saying Allen wouldnt be the best DE on the team or wouldnt make an immediate impact, but using our #12 on one of the maybe 4 positions on the team that doesnt need addressing (QB, TE, CB, DE) would be pretty irresponsible.

I thought we were all about rebuilding this team with young drafted talent. Now we want to throw away two of our top picks from last years draft and one or two from this years draft for an expensive trade?

Moss was hurt last year, but is young and shows promise. We signed a huge contract for Henry, but what did he do for us last year? At least Moss is young.

LRtagger
04-19-2008, 08:31 AM
A DUI is no big deal. I can name you a ton of famous, supposedly high moral people that have had a DUI such as politicians for 1. George W. Bush had a DUI when he was younger. Bush also sorted coke and smoked pot and so did Clinton, but "he didn't inhale." You make it seem as though Jared Allen eats babies for dinner or something.

This is rediculous. Obviously it is a big deal if the league is going to suspend him for a year if he does it again!

I can name you even more people who have been KILLED by drunk drivers. But since some celebrities did it, it makes it OK. :mad: What are you, a 14 year old girl?? There is no excuse for drunk driving EVER.

I have seen some dumb posts on this board, but WOW.

Ziggy
04-19-2008, 08:43 AM

OK Natureboy, while I agree that we should trade for Jared Allen, you just lost all credibility with that statement.

For those who say that DE is a strength on this team, I disagree. We have exactly 1 proven pass rusher, who is a liability against the run. If he puts up numbers like Jared Allen this year, do you think he is going to be any cheaper to sign than Allen when his contract is up? I highly doubt it. Moss may be the real deal, but he has yet to prove it on the NFL playing field. Looking like a stud over the course of a game or 2 doesn't make him a strength on this team at the position he plays. If it did, Darius Watts would be an all world WR for us. I like what I see out of Tim Crowder, but again, he has a lot more to prove. DE may become a strength of this team soon, but right now it's not. As for the DT position, I think a trade for Robertson will help immensely, and we can pick up a DT in the mid rounds to help bolster.

We need OT badly and I have campaigned for one endlessly on this forum, but a young, proven, pro bowl pass rusher is just too good to pass up. As far as the DUI goes, we could write his contract with clauses protecting the Broncos should he screw up and get suspended, much the way we did with Marcus Thomas's contract last year.

UnderArmour
04-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Wasn't Jared Allen a RFA with a first round tender last year? We could've had him for our first and 3rd instead of using them on Moss and at the very least made them match our contract offer. No way now. KC won't think of trading him to us for anything less than the two first round picks that are required as maximum compensation, we are after all division rivals.

MOtorboat
04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Kansas City wants too much...unfortunately, someone is going to give them that.

jrelway
04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
no thanks. there must be a reason why the queefs are trying to trade him. we dont need anymore DE's ..anyone who thinks allen is worth a first pick is smoking some crack.

MOtorboat
04-19-2008, 10:00 AM
no thanks. there must be a reason why the queefs are trying to trade him. we dont need anymore DE's ..anyone who thinks allen is worth a first pick is smoking some crack.

Well...actually, as they do with most of their top potential free agents when it comes time for their second contract, Carl Peterson ticks them off so much that he has no choice but to trade them or lose them for nothing.

It's a pattern with him.

In this case, Allen wants a second contract, and has stated that he would like to stay in Kansas City. But Carl Peterson said he would franchise him for a year and then TALK big contract. Allen said if he was franchised and didn't get his contract and guaranteed signing bonus, he wouldn't sign a long-term with Kansas City. So...buh-bye Jerad Allen.

Did the same thing with John Tait a few years ago.

BOSSHOGG30
04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
They might be able to get Chris Willam/Ryan Clady at LT and Branden Alberts........that is a quick fix to the o-line.

Larry Johnson should be happy.

BOSSHOGG30
04-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe we can put Champ Bailey on the market for 1st and 3rd rounder and get Chris Williams and Branden Albert and Jonathan Stewart

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Please don't anybody compare Elvis or anyone on our roster to Jared Allen. Allen is a beast. His forced fumbles, sacks, and pressures are the best in the league year in and year out. I would kill to have a guy with his motor and his talent. The dude is an absolute beast, period. I'd trade our 12 and a 3rd for him in a heart beat. There is no one on our roster that will match his numbers. Anyone who thinks Doom is as good or better than Allen, you are just football stupid.

We don't have a 3rd round pick. We have first and second round and then we don't pick again until the 4th round. So if you're meaning we give up both of our first day picks for one player that would be a horrific mistake. It doesn't matter how good Allen is bringing him in doesn't address areas of greater concern.

MOtorboat
04-19-2008, 10:06 AM
They might be able to get Chris Willam/Ryan Clady at LT and Branden Alberts........that is a quick fix to the o-line.

Don't worry...King Carl will screw it up somehow.

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe we can put Champ Bailey on the market for 1st and 3rd rounder and get Chris Williams and Branden Albert and Jonathan Stewart

How would we do that Boss? All three of them grade out as first round picks. Also two of those three could be gone before we ever draft.

Bronco9798
04-19-2008, 10:40 AM
We don't have a 3rd round pick. We have first and second round and then we don't pick again until the 4th round. So if you're meaning we give up both of our first day picks for one player that would be a horrific mistake. It doesn't matter how good Allen is bringing him in doesn't address areas of greater concern.

I know we're not going too. I been around long enough to know this will never happen. Bottom line, he makes your defense better, period. He makes the guys around him better. He is an impact player that requires attention every down. 15.5 sacks in 14 games last year, his forced fumbles are always huge, and he has a motor. He plays every down and is around the ball on every play. Just saying, he would make our defense better, period.

UnderArmour
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Who?

MOtorboat
04-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Who?

Grandmama

http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_90s/ad_pic(converse).jpg

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I know we're not going too. I been around long enough to know this will never happen. Bottom line, he makes your defense better, period. He makes the guys around him better. He is an impact player that requires attention every down. 15.5 sacks in 14 games last year, his forced fumbles are always huge, and he has a motor. He plays every down and is around the ball on every play. Just saying, he would make our defense better, period.

I don't think he would have the impact you think he would unless the interior line is upgraded.

MOtorboat
04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't think he would have the impact you think he would unless the interior line is upgraded.

KC's interior line sucks. He'd make a huge impact. He's a beast. But the price is too high.

BroncoWave
04-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Exactly. Until we get some solid DTs, they can just double our DE's and our pass rush will be ineffective. That's why it would be a horrible mistake to trade for Allen because he wouldn't fix what is wrong with our DL.

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 12:36 PM
KC's interior line sucks. He'd make a huge impact. He's a beast. But the price is too high.

They were better than we were.

WARHORSE
04-19-2008, 12:58 PM

How can you not have an impact if your an impact player?

You will be forcing the offense to deal with you in some shape, fashion or form. Whether they have to double team him all game long, it still leads to one on one matchups at LB and DT.

It also depends on which side you play him on. If Thomas makes some strides this year........which he will........Jared Allen wouldnt make an impact?:confused:

Allen is in his PRIME. The next four or five years are going to be his best, and giving up a draft pick for a player or two that you dont even know can make it in this league is a no brainer to me.

I brought this up long ago, and once again, havent we learned from the Giants how to attack the Pats, who are the team to beat along with Indy?

Get Robertson. Get Allen(I know its not happening).

Guess what happens to Champ and Bly in a defense like that?

All pro. Champ would eat Qbs alive. So would Bly.

Champ has never played with a dominant pass rush. We should give him the chance. Champ forces teams to deal with him as well, and we definitely would have a defense that had very specific areas that you would have to attack.........all to our benefit.

I think KC, knowing them, would rather trade Allen for the 12th pick than the 7th. The money they would have to pay out would be easier on the pocket.

Ziggy
04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Exactly. Until we get some solid DTs, they can just double our DE's and our pass rush will be ineffective. That's why it would be a horrible mistake to trade for Allen because he wouldn't fix what is wrong with our DL.

Did you watch Super Bowls 32 and 33? Anyone remember our starting DT's back then? Keith Traylor and Maa Tanuvasa. Both average DT's at best. Traylor was a run stuffer, and Tanuvasa was an undersized, undertalented player. The ends were Niel Smith and Alfred Williams. Guess what? We had a pass rush then. You do not have to have great DT's when you have pass rushers. You only need average ones. Marcus Thomas and Dwayne Robertson would look like all pros next to Jared Allen and Elvis Dumervill/Jarvis Moss/whoever else you want to plug in at end. Yes, we need another DT. We can pay a low price for Dwayne Robertson and a high price for Jared Allen. Our defense could be a force.

As for those of you who want to keep drafting and not give up picks for proven players about to hit thier prime (like Jared Allen), I'll give you the same stat I put in another thread.Of the 26 players drafted by the Denver Broncos between 2003-2005, 19 of them no longer play in the NFL. The Broncos suck at drafting. 2006 was a great draft, but the only one since Shanahan has been here. The jury is still out on the 2007 draft. You can have the draft picks. I'll take proven players.

DenBronx
04-19-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/17933509.html

Vikings still working on deal to get Allen
The Chiefs defensive end spent Friday visiting team officials, but no deal on a trade or contract has been made.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: April 18, 2008 - 10:17 PM

Jared Allen

NFL, NFL

The Vikings had Jared Allen right where they wanted him Friday. The Pro Bowl defensive end spent much of his day receiving first-class treatment and visiting with team officials at Winter Park.

But owner Zygi Wilf attempted to downplay talk the Vikings were on the verge of working out a trade with Kansas City or a multiyear contract for Allen with agent, Ken Harris, who also was in town. Both of those things would have to happen for Allen, designated by the Chiefs as their franchise player, to end up in Minnesota.

"It's a multi-front type of [deal]," Wilf said while making an appearance at the Vikings' facility during a soccer event to benefit the Twin Cities-based National Marrow Donor Program. "You have to deal with Kansas City, you have to deal with Jared. It's a whole aspect, and you have to weigh that with what's best for the club. That's ultimately what's most important. What would be the best for this club and how we can get to the next level?"

Asked if an agreement with Kansas City was close, coach Brad Childress said, "There are variables." Chiefs President Carl Peterson, meanwhile, told the Associated Press that "we're talking in speculation right now. At this particular point, nothing has been done or consummated."

Allen would fill one of the Vikings' biggest needs. His 15.5 sacks led the NFL last season and were 10.5 more than the Vikings' team leaders.

"I just think [he's a] relentless guy that was a long snapper, that was a fourth-round draft pick, that plays the run as good as he plays the pass," Childress said. "He's not just a DPR [designated pass rusher]. That's what you like about him. He's a high-energy guy. I like that."

Childress was part of a traveling party that flew in Wilf's private plane to San Jose on Thursday to pick up Allen and his girlfriend and bring them back to Minnesota. Childress said Allen and Vikings Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson had dinner Thursday night.

Wilf acknowledged he was in town Friday in part because of Allen's presence.

"I was here on and off during the whole week, but him being here, I wanted to be able to have some time with him, get to know him," Wilf said. "It's very important as part of the whole process. Evaluating what's best for our team."

There are two key factors in this situation: How much compensation are the Vikings willing to give Kansas City and how much money do they want to spend on Allen?

At a minimum, the Chiefs are believed to want the Vikings' 17th pick in the first round and one of their third-round selections in next weekend's draft. Allen, meanwhile, is likely looking for a contract similar to the six-year, $72 million blockbuster deal the Colts gave to end Dwight Freeney last summer. Freeney received $30 million guaranteed. (If Allen returns to the Chiefs as their franchise player he will make $8.8 million next season.)

Wilf was quick to acknowledge that giving up draft picks is "very tough," adding that "decisions like this are very difficult. Very difficult." A decision, though, will need to come quickly. Allen is reportedly set to visit with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next week if he gets out of Minnesota.

If the Vikings were unable to work a trade with Kansas City, another option would be to sign Allen to an offer sheet. That would give the Chiefs the option of matching or would cost the Vikings' two first-round picks. That price would be too much.

"We wouldn't do that," Childress said

Childress also was asked about Allen's past off-the-field issues. Allen was suspended by the NFL for the first two games last season after twice being charged with drunken driving and faces a significant suspension if he gets in further trouble. He has said in interviews that he has quit drinking.

Childress, who preaches accountability among his players, made it clear that Allen's past hasn't been ignored.

Nature Boy
04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I can name you even more people who have been KILLED by drunk drivers. But since some celebrities did it, it makes it OK. :mad:

I never said it was OK to drink and drive. I said it's no big deal in reference to bringing in Jared Allan with his past DUI arrest. Make a clause in the contract that if he gets suspended, much of his signing bonus has to be refunded or something of that nature; similar to Marcus Thomas' contract that someone mentioned.

Any one that thinks the Broncos' strength or is deep at the DE position is delusional. The Broncos are deep with mediocre DE's, that's about it. Ever wonder why the Broncos can never get any pressure on QBs?

Lack of a QB pressure = a lousy defense no matter how good the DBs are.

Jared Allen led the league in sacks and he only played 14 games. He would immediately take this defense up a notch but most of you people don't understand that.

Unfortunately it's very unlikely that the Broncos can offer enough to Chiefs to get Allan, but it's still a interesting and great idea. Being division rivals and mortal enemies, the Chiefs would want extra from the Broncos compared to the rest of the league.

Ziggy
04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
That defense with Jared Allen would be scary. If they ever find a QB in Minnesota, watch out.

LRtagger
04-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Did you watch Super Bowls 32 and 33? Anyone remember our starting DT's back then? Keith Traylor and Maa Tanuvasa. Both average DT's at best. Traylor was a run stuffer, and Tanuvasa was an undersized, undertalented player. The ends were Niel Smith and Alfred Williams. Guess what? We had a pass rush then.

We also had a hall of fame running back and an offensive line leaps and bounds better than our current line. At least when your offense is on the field you have control of the game. I would like to get our offense in order and then go after that one all-pro dlineman via trade or FA that will put us over the top. IMO we have too many pressing needs on the other side of the ball to invest so much in DE.

LRtagger
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I never said it was OK to drink and drive.

You even admitted to doing it yourself.

BroncoWave
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Did you watch Super Bowls 32 and 33? Anyone remember our starting DT's back then? Keith Traylor and Maa Tanuvasa. Both average DT's at best. Traylor was a run stuffer, and Tanuvasa was an undersized, undertalented player. The ends were Niel Smith and Alfred Williams. Guess what? We had a pass rush then. You do not have to have great DT's when you have pass rushers. You only need average ones. Marcus Thomas and Dwayne Robertson would look like all pros next to Jared Allen and Elvis Dumervill/Jarvis Moss/whoever else you want to plug in at end. Yes, we need another DT. We can pay a low price for Dwayne Robertson and a high price for Jared Allen. Our defense could be a force.

As for those of you who want to keep drafting and not give up picks for proven players about to hit thier prime (like Jared Allen), I'll give you the same stat I put in another thread.Of the 26 players drafted by the Denver Broncos between 2003-2005, 19 of them no longer play in the NFL. The Broncos suck at drafting. 2006 was a great draft, but the only one since Shanahan has been here. The jury is still out on the 2007 draft. You can have the draft picks. I'll take proven players.

Yes I watched Super Bowls 32 and 33, and Keith Tractor Traylor and Maa Tanuvasa were both much better than the junk we have at DT now. I have hope for Marcus Thomas but other than him, we have nothing at DT.

And I agree that it would be fine to trade our first rounder for a veteran, but he does not fill a need and he is ONE SUSPENSION AWAY FROM BEING DONE FOR A YEAR. It would be beyond stupid to make that trade.

silkamilkamonico
04-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I never said it was OK to drink and drive. I said it's no big deal in reference to bringing in Jared Allan with his past DUI arrest. Make a clause in the contract that if he gets suspended, much of his signing bonus has to be refunded or something of that nature; similar to Marcus Thomas' contract that someone mentioned.

He would never ok a contract like that.

Allen has nothing to prove on the field in terms of getting an opportunity because of issues off it. A team wants to put a clause like that in his contract, he's just going to go elsewhere with just as much money and no clause. He's a wanted man regardless of the Dui's, unlike Thomas who's behavior that lead to a clause slid him from an "apparent" first round pick to a 4th round pick.

As far as our inability to put pressure on the QB goes, so much of that has to do with our sorry interior linemen, who can't collapse a pocket. No collapse means the T's are going to put the rushing ends wide, which is part of the reason why we couldn't pressure a college team consistently.

Npba900
04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
That defense with Jared Allen would be scary. If they ever find a QB in Minnesota, watch out.

Ziggy, check this 2nd day draft prospect out. He's been compared to Jared Allen (who by the way was taken in the 4th round 126th pick) from Div I-AA, Idaho State in 2004.

Since Denver is emphasizing rebuilding thru the draft, with 8 remaining picks after we select our 1st and 2nd picks, Denver needs to try and land this guy.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/brian_johnston.htm

DenverBronkHoes
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Hack!!!

scott.475
04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Make a clause in the contract that if he gets suspended, much of his signing bonus has to be refunded or something of that nature;

That is fine from a strictly money standpoint, but if he got suspended, we would effectively be out two (or more) players, Allen and the player(s) we did not get in the draft. Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. And while I might be willing to take the risk on a college kid who still needs to mature, I am not willing to take the risk on someone who should already be in that place. I think it is very hard for players to change their character early on. You usually see it happen as they start getting further on in their careers and they are willing to give up their own selfishness in the hopes of getting a ring before their careers end. Look at TO and Randy Moss, I think both those guys have settled down a lot because they know they only have a few years left to get that ring, and that being a team player is how to do it.

Unacceptable risk...we have just been bitten too much by players we were hoping to rehab.

Ziggy
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Ziggy, check this 2nd day draft prospect out. He's been compared to Jared Allen (who by the way was taken in the 4th round 126th pick) from Div I-AA, Idaho State in 2004.

Since Denver is emphasizing rebuilding thru the draft, with 8 remaining picks after we select our 1st and 2nd picks, Denver needs to try and land this guy.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/brian_johnston.htm

I like what I read on him. Haven't seen any film, but those are the kind of sleepers the Broncos need to look at. Thanks for the link.

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 07:40 PM

I watched and the defense certainly didn't create a lot pressure or get a lot of sacks with our defensive ends. The pressure came from the complex blitz packages of Greg Robinson.

WARHORSE
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Right now theres a loop the Vikes are supposedly looking at in signing Allen. If they sign him post draft, the picks they have to give up would be in next years draft.

That may be something the Broncos can look at................especially since we will be drafting in the first round in the 30s the next two years.:D

Draft the way we want, then sign Allen to a contract afterwards. We lose the next two first rounders in 2009 and 2010. We save the money from having to sign the two first rounders, which helps with his contract.

2010 just may be an uncapped year.

It would take big cojones to pull that off.

It could also happen with Haynesworth, or any other unsigned franchised player.

I would do it for Allen.

silkamilkamonico
04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Right now theres a loop the Vikes are supposedly looking at in signing Allen. If they sign him post draft, the picks they have to give up would be in next years draft.

That may be something the Broncos can look at................especially since we will be drafting in the first round in the 30s the next two years.:D

Draft the way we want, then sign Allen to a contract afterwards. We lose the next two first rounders in 2009 and 2010. We save the money from having to sign the two first rounders, which helps with his contract.

2010 just may be an uncapped year.

It would take big cojones to pull that off.

It could also happen with Haynesworth, or any other unsigned franchised player.

I would do it for Allen.

Denver is not going to make a trade for Allen, no matter how much we sit and debate why they should or should not.

Also, if the Vikings wait until after the draft, it's likely going to take almost literally twice as much draft value to trade for him, because draft picks next aren't worth their actual value. It's why we traded a 3rd rounder, to grab a fourth round pick for Marcus Thomas.

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Denver is not going to make a trade for Allen, no matter how much we sit and debate why they should or should not.

Also, if the Vikings wait until after the draft, it's likely going to take almost literally twice as much draft value to trade for him, because draft picks next aren't worth their actual value. It's why we traded a 3rd rounder, to grab a fourth round pick for Marcus Thomas.

I think I heard one time that future picks are worth about half of what they are worth on their actual draft day.

DenBronx
04-19-2008, 11:52 PM
:call: (Herm) Hey Shanarat, what do you say you toss up your 08,09 and 10 1st rounders for Allen
:call: (Mike) Yeah, Don't think that's happening on my watch pal.
:call: (Herm) Ok, Ok, Ok then give us your 08 and 09 1st rounders.
:call: (Mike) Uh...that would be a big fat NO!
:call: (Herm) Don't you want to improve your pass rush?
:call: (Mike) I think I'd rather us improve the whole team you idiot. Hey...we can resign Neil Smith and swap him for Allen straight up? (click)

(Herm) ....Shanny??? .... you there man??? Hello???

Joel
04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Wasn't Jared Allen a RFA with a first round tender last year? We could've had him for our first and 3rd instead of using them on Moss and at the very least made them match our contract offer. No way now. KC won't think of trading him to us for anything less than the two first round picks that are required as maximum compensation, we are after all division rivals.
I say again, they let us get Neil Smith; anything's possible....

My biggest beef with the Moss deal was that I thought we needed DTs rather than ends (just might have been right, too.... ) IF, however, we were going to go after one, giving up a first and third for a younger and less expensive Moss all but certain to sign with us is more appealing than going after a high dollar FA whom we won't even get if his current team meet our offer. You can hurt a Divisional rival that way, too, if they're dumb enough and you're smart enough they end up paying more than a guy is worth.

Allen's fairly young for a proven FA, but I still don't like trying to do long term building with FAs. Even when they have the talent and health to play another five or six years, the price you pay to get them at the peak of their career is getting them at the peak of their earnings curve.

But the bottom line for me remains the same as it was when everyone was telling me what a "steal" Jarvis Moss was last year: We don't need another :censored: end, what we need is NTs and MLBs. Look at last years season and tell me I was wrong....

WARHORSE
04-20-2008, 05:50 AM

Ive already stated that the Broncos wont trade for Allen. Its something I said I would do.

And its not a trade. Its the signing of a franchise player to an offer sheet, which any team has the right to do. It would cost two first rounders, or picks that compensate first round value, and thats all. It has nothing to do with a draft pick having less value next year.

WARHORSE
04-20-2008, 06:02 AM

My biggest beef with the Moss deal was that I thought we needed DTs rather than ends (just might have been right, too.... ) IF, however, we were going to go after one, giving up a first and third for a younger and less expensive Moss all but certain to sign with us is more appealing than going after a high dollar FA whom we won't even get if his current team meet our offer. You can hurt a Divisional rival that way, too, if they're dumb enough and you're smart enough they end up paying more than a guy is worth.

Allen's fairly young for a proven FA, but I still don't like trying to do long term building with FAs. Even when they have the talent and health to play another five or six years, the price you pay to get them at the peak of their career is getting them at the peak of their earnings curve.

But the bottom line for me remains the same as it was when everyone was telling me what a "steal" Jarvis Moss was last year: We don't need another :censored: end, what we need is NTs and MLBs. Look at last years season and tell me I was wrong....

The best DT according to the Broncos was off the board when Harrel got taken. If playing time this past year is an omen of things to come, Greenbay did us a favor by taking him. Yes, the Broncos not only recognized the need for a DT, they drafted one. He came in and played before he was ready, they threw him into the fire. That playing time will pay off this year. He would have been the number one DT in the draft, if not for his character issues.

If Thomas keeps his nose clean and plays football, this season will tell us what we need to know about his future.

The Broncos had four picks, and they used three on defensive line.

Anyone home???:confused:

The Broncos also took Crowder, who not only has shown himself to be a good player, but also a versatile one. He may just be a Trevor Pryce type of guy.

They may add another DT this year, but not likely if Robertson comes to town. That would give us Thomas and Robertson as starters, with Crowder, McKinnley, Dumerville and even Moss that can also line up at tackle. And dont tell me Moss wont play there, he lined up t here last year.

With a young defensive line like we have, time is on our side.

TXBRONC
04-20-2008, 08:39 AM

Smith was a free agent he could go where he wanted, the Chiefs didn't care at that point. It's a lot like us releasing Walker we couldn't control where he would sign.

In last year's draft Denver targeted Justin Harrell so it's not like they didn't have plans get a defensive tackle.

MOtorboat
04-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Did Allen get that third DUI yet?

silkamilkamonico
04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
And its not a trade. Its the signing of a franchise player to an offer sheet, which any team has the right to do. It would cost two first rounders, or picks that compensate first round value, and thats all. It has nothing to do with a draft pick having less value next year.

How does Minnesota/TB decide which will trade fro him then, if the value is the same for both teams?

2 first rounders? That's crazy talk considering Miami was considering tradintg Jason Taylor for a second.

silkamilkamonico
04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Did Allen get that third DUI yet?

Who cares. He's a lot better than any DE's we have.

Ziggy
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
The best DT according to the Broncos was off the board when Harrel got taken. If playing time this past year is an omen of things to come, Greenbay did us a favor by taking him. Yes, the Broncos not only recognized the need for a DT, they drafted one. He came in and played before he was ready, they threw him into the fire. That playing time will pay off this year. He would have been the number one DT in the draft, if not for his character issues.

If Thomas keeps his nose clean and plays football, this season will tell us what we need to know about his future.

The Broncos had four picks, and they used three on defensive line.

Anyone home???:confused:

The Broncos also took Crowder, who not only has shown himself to be a good player, but also a versatile one. He may just be a Trevor Pryce type of guy.

They may add another DT this year, but not likely if Robertson comes to town. That would give us Thomas and Robertson as starters, with Crowder, McKinnley, Dumerville and even Moss that can also line up at tackle. And dont tell me Moss wont play there, he lined up t here last year.

With a young defensive line like we have, time is on our side.

Harrell was a big disappointment in Green Bay last year, but so was Trevor Pryce his first year here. Denver actually had Harrell rated as the 2nd best DT, but didn't want to trade up that high for thier highest rated one (Amobi Okoye). Harrell was one of a group of 3 players that the Broncos had rated highly that they thought would be there at the 21st pick. The other 2 were Jarvis Moss and Lawrence Timmons.
When Timmons and Harrell were taken, the Broncos decided to trade up to get 1 of thier 3. It was costly, and we won't know for another year or 2 if it was worth it. I do like the fact that Denver adressed the Dline so heavily in the draft last year despite all of the free agent signings. I hope they keep investing highly in the trenches.

MOtorboat
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM

For that amount of money, and after the Henry debacle last year...I do care.

fcspikeit
04-20-2008, 02:46 PM
I would love to see Allan in orange and blue...

He is bar none better then anything we now have, He deserves a big contract so I would be ok with that too.. But for our 1st +? If we went to a 3-4 defense I would be all for it, The problem is that we have to many other needs to justify trading our 1st. Someone even said our 1st and 2nd. We would be trading 2 potential starters for an upgrade over another starter.

If we didn't have any pressing needs I would be 100% for this trade, but the simple fact is that we have other more pressing needs. Trading both 1st day picks is just giving up to much.

Stargazer
04-21-2008, 03:33 AM
One DUI from a possible year suspension from the league, a huge contract with a large guarantee/bonus, and either two #1's or a 1st and 2nd/3rd round pick for compensation.

Um, hell no.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
One DUI from a possible year suspension from the league, a huge contract with a large guarantee/bonus, and either two #1's or a 1st and 2nd/3rd round pick for compensation.

Um, hell no.

exactlly, the dude is a cowboy that likes his whiskey. i have a hard time believing allen will lay off the alcohol for the nfl.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:46 PM

I'm sure you'd care if he got suspended for a year. Signing Allen would be like having sex with the hottest girl you've seen even if you know she has herpes. Sure she's better looking than anything you've ever had but do you really want to take that chance?

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm sure you'd care if he got suspended for a year. Signing Allen would be like having sex with the hottest girl you've seen even if you know she has herpes. Sure she's better looking than anything you've ever had but do you really want to take that chance?

"sure you can get a good look at a cows ass by sticking your head up it but wouldnt you rather take the butchers word for it?"

chris farley

silkamilkamonico
04-21-2008, 02:53 PM

I would use protection, so I could still have sex with her and that chance would go down incredibly.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I would use protection, so I could still have sex with her and that chance would go down incredibly.

I still wouldn't take the chance.

Nature Boy
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Signing Allen would be like having sex with the hottest girl you've seen even if you know she has herpes. Sure she's better looking than anything you've ever had but do you really want to take that chance?

Just make sure you don't lick it before you stick it. Did I catch that from someone's avatar?

Actually, genital herpes is not protected or covered up by the rubber. Unless you saran wrap her whole area infected which is on the outside.

Bronco9798
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
The Tampa Tribune reports word now is that the Kansas City Chiefs will settle for no less than a first- and second-round draft pick for disgruntled “franchise'' pass rusher DE Jared Allen. It's hard to imagine the Bucs giving that up, especially when they have just five draft picks and so many needs. It's questionable whether the Vikings will give it up, too. Minnesota has clearly emerged as the favorite to land Allen, who still may visit the Bucs later this week, but they'll probably stand firm on their offer of a first-round pick (No. 17 overall) and a third (No. 73 overall). It's good strategy really, because it's doubtful anyone will give the Chiefs the two first-rounders they'd get if a team simply signed Allen as a free agent. And with the Bucs virtually unable and unlikely to better the Vikings' offer, Minnesota's offer will no doubt come in as the best one for Allen. That will leave this whole thing up to the Chiefs, who will probably drag this thing out until draft day before deciding what to do. At this point, though, Allen is back home in California contemplating the Vikings' offer, which is believed to be a six-year deal that includes $25 million in guarantees and carries a total value between $50 million and $60 million.

Bronco9798
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I like how they put "disgruntled" in there. Aren't all KC players, and fans, disgruntled with that disastrous organization?

Nature Boy
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
The Tampa Tribune reports word now is that the Kansas City Chiefs will settle for no less than a first- and second-round draft pick for disgruntled “franchise'' pass rusher DE Jared Allen. It's hard to imagine the Bucs giving that up, especially when they have just five draft picks and so many needs. It's questionable whether the Vikings will give it up, too. Minnesota has clearly emerged as the favorite to land Allen, who still may visit the Bucs later this week, but they'll probably stand firm on their offer of a first-round pick (No. 17 overall) and a third (No. 73 overall). It's good strategy really, because it's doubtful anyone will give the Chiefs the two first-rounders they'd get if a team simply signed Allen as a free agent. And with the Bucs virtually unable and unlikely to better the Vikings' offer, Minnesota's offer will no doubt come in as the best one for Allen. That will leave this whole thing up to the Chiefs, who will probably drag this thing out until draft day before deciding what to do. At this point, though, Allen is back home in California contemplating the Vikings' offer, which is believed to be a six-year deal that includes $25 million in guarantees and carries a total value between $50 million and $60 million.

Those 3 DUI convictions are weighing heavily on a lot of teams minds considering if the Vikings don't offer better than their #17 and their #73. I 1st thought Jared Allen only had 1 DUI; 3 is a lot in it's short time span.

I propose that Mike Shanahan that Mike Shanahan offer next year's 1st and 2nd rounder for Jared Allan's services.

Nature Boy
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I like how they put "disgruntled" in there. Aren't all KC players, and fans, disgruntled with that disastrous organization?

The Raiders are worst. By a lot.

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
It was just reported on NFL Network by Adam Shefner that the Chiefs just agreed to send Allen to the Vikings.

It is also on the breaking news section on www.nfl.com

Thank God, all this Allen talk can end now.

TXBRONC
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
It was just reported on NFL Network by Adam Shefner that the Chiefs just agreed to send Allen to the Vikings.

It is also on the breaking news section on www.nfl.com

Thank God, all this Allen talk can end now.

I couldn't agree more. :beer:

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Jared Allen sucks! He has 1.5 sacks against the Broncos in 8 games. 8!!!!!!!!!!

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
here's the official story.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807eb389&template=with-video&confirm=true

Chiefs send Allen to Vikings for three draft picks
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Kansas Chiefs have agreed to trade Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen to the Minnseota Vikings, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs will receive Minnesota's first- (17th overall) and both of its third-round picks (73rd and 82nd) as compensation. Kansas City has been looking to acquire additional draft picks in an attempt to speed up coach Herm Edwards' rebuilding project for a team that lost its last nine games in 2007 and finished 4-12.

The Vikings also agreed on a new contract with Allen, which will be finalized Wednesday. Allen flew to Minnesota on Tuesday night in anticipation of Wednesday's events.

The Vikings fill one of their biggest needs by adding Allen to their front four. The Pro Bowl starter had a league-leading 15.5 sacks in 2007 along with 67 tackles, three forced fumbles and 18 pressures in only 14 games.

Jared Allen, DE
Kansas City Chiefs

2007 Stats:
Games: 14
Tackles: 64
Sacks: 15.5

» Stats: 2007 statistical leaders
» Free agency: Franchise amounts The Chiefs need offensive linemen and defensive backs, two position groups that scouts believe to be in abundance. The Chiefs already owned the No. 5 overall pick in the draft, and now have 13 selections with the trade, including five of the first 82 picks.

Before trading the 26-year-old Allen to the Vikings, the Chiefs also talked with Tampa Bay about Allen.

General manager Carl Peterson's relationship with Allen has been strained ever since Peterson, in the wake of Allen's DUI convictions, described him as "a young man at risk." Allen, who could be suspended for a season if he has another alcohol-related episode, had said he would not negotiate with Kansas City if he didn't get a contract done by next July.

After reaching an impasse, the Chiefs made Allen their franchise player on Feb. 7, but did not put the exclusive tag on him, as they did on tight end Tony Gonzalez when he was franchised in 2002.

That made it possible for Allen and his agent to talk with other clubs and be examined by their team doctors.

Allen was suspended the first two games by the commissioner last season for multiple DUI convictions. But Allen says he has stopped drinking entirely, a claim backed up by close friends.

"I've seen Jared at a big party, out on the dance floor, where everybody is drinking except one person. It's Jared, and he's having the best time of everybody," said Chiefs fullback Boomer Grigsby.

In his first game back from the suspension against the Vikings, he had nine tackles, two sacks, a pressure and a pass defended. He also forced Adrian Peterson to fumble.

The 6-foot-6, 270-pound Allen was drafted with a supplemental fourth-round pick out of Idaho State in 2004

BeefStew25
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Niner just bought a Allen Vikings jersey.

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
WOW they gave up the #17 pick and both of their 3rd round picks! the chiefs now have ammo come saturday. this team was smart to deal allen with his price so high.

makes you wonder why cincy wouldnt take two 1st rounders from the redskins....flamin idiots!

BOSSHOGG30
Niner just bought a Allen Vikings jersey.

He can were it with more pride now... it will be his favorite NFC team

Seriously though.... Vikings have a scary good D-line and I'm glad we don't have to worry about Allen anymore in our division......Very good player.

Thanks King Carl for making our new LT's job easier.

MOtorboat
wow they gave up the #17 pick and both of their 3rd round picks! WOW the chiefs have ammo come saturday. this team was smart to deal allen with his price so high.

makes you wonder why cincy wouldnt take two 1st rounders from the redskins....flamin idiots!

Don't worry, Carl will screw it up...

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
He can were it with more pride now... it will be his favorite NFC team

Seriously though.... Vikings have a scary good D-line and I'm glad we don't have to worry about Allen anymore in our division......Very good player.

Thanks King Carl for making our new LT's job easier.

same here...im just glad he's out of the afc and we played the vikes last year...so we wont be seeing allen anytime soon.

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:41 PM

I sure hope so Mo. I hate the fact they have all these picks.

1.5 sacks in 8 games! F Jared Allen!

BOSSHOGG30
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM

1st: Chris Long
1st: Jeff Otah
2nd: Joe Flacco
3rd: Carl Nicks
3rd: Jordy Nelson
3rd: Earl Bennett

Lonestar
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
1st: Chris Long
3rd: Earl Bennett

but they still do not have a QB

MOtorboat
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=BOSSHOGG30;213972]1st: Chris Long
3rd: Earl Bennett[/QUOTE

LMAO!

Carl isn't that smart!

DenBronx

hey they got brodie. :lol:

or maybe talk jeff george back out of retirement.

TXBRONC

That's why he has them drafting Flacco.

DenBronx
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
looks like the chiefs will be trying hard to get matt ryan now.

Stargazer
04-23-2008, 03:56 AM
looks like the chiefs will be trying hard to get matt ryan now.

Why? They will probably pick up a DL and OL with their #1's.

BOSSHOGG30
04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Jared Allen's six-year contract is worth $73.26 million and includes $38.4 million in the first three years.

The originally reported $31 million guaranteed is correct. Allen is a truly dominant player and should be even moreso next to the Williamses in Minnesota, but this is still a massive risk because of his off-field history. The deal will likely only be a success if he stays out of trouble.
Source: NFL.com

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Jared Allen's six-year contract is worth $73.26 million and includes $38.4 million in the first three years.

The originally reported $31 million guaranteed is correct. Allen is a truly dominant player and should be even moreso next to the Williamses in Minnesota, but this is still a massive risk because of his off-field history. The deal will likely only be a success if he stays out of trouble.
Source: NFL.com

Someone fire up the love cruise...

WARHORSE
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
How does Minnesota/TB decide which will trade fro him then, if the value is the same for both teams?

2 first rounders? That's crazy talk considering Miami was considering tradintg Jason Taylor for a second.

Because they dont want to give up two first rounders. If they signed him to an offer outright, the compensation would be two first rounders per the CBA. Since they want to give less, they offer a first and a second......or a first and a third......in a trade scenario. That way they can possibly get him for less, and KC gets what they feel is adequate compensation for him.

Two thirds, a swap of 6s and a first?

Thats some pretty good compensation.

WARHORSE
04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
They Chefs will draft about four or five Olinemen.

At least.

Nature Boy
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
The Cheifs will be the busiest team in the draft, they have their own fifth overall selection, six of the first 82 picks and 13 altogether in this weekend's draft.

MOtorboat
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
The Cheifs will be the busiest team in the draft, they have their own fifth overall selection, six of the first 82 picks and 13 altogether in this weekend's draft.

I can't wait...seriously...there is NO way Carl Peterson finally gets smart...

Or, well...man...I hope not.

Nature Boy
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Perhaps Ted Sundquist has a job to apply for.

Stargazer
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Definately. If the opportunity becomes available, they should trade down a few spots from their #5 pick.

Nature Boy
04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I say we trade Foxy for their 3rd rounder if they'll take it and we draft Jamaal Charles with that pick.

Stargazer
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
One of the 3rd round picks sent to Kansas City for Jared Allen was Denver's 2008 3rd round pick(via Atlanta). Denver selected Marcus Thomas. So I guess Denver helped Minny land Jared Allen and getting him out of the AFC West.:laugh:

TXBRONC
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Agreed, they have a lot of ammo to work with.