PDA

View Full Version : What is Big?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/what-is-big/

There was an NFL call on ratings Thursday afternoon, with Erich Schubert, Broncos Media Relations Coordinator, taking part. Erich gave me some great notes on that call, and this is the sharing of Erich’s notes.

Everybody always knows and admits that the NFL is big, but do people really know what big is? Or, what I really mean, is what “BIG” is?

Even though normal broadcast programming has been in decline over the last seven years, the NFL and sports in general have not been susceptible to this because audiences still want to watch sports live.

FOX, NBC, ESPN and NFLN all set viewership records last year while CBS had the highest average viewership since 1993. Imagine. The highest viewership for CBS in 16 years!

The 2009 draft had higher ratings than NBA and NHL players, MLB and NASCAR; with the first two rounds coming to prime time this year, look for those ratings to spike like a bad singer’s hairdo.

Super Bowl XLIV (44 to those who don’t know Latin) was the most viewed program in U.S. history, attracted a larger total audience than the combined viewership/audiences of the 2009 Stanley Cup final (game seven), the 2009 NBA finals (game five), the 2009 World Series (game six) and the 2010 NASCAR Daytona 500.

Denver is one of 12 NFL markets in which NFL programming ranked number one in all 17 weeks during the regular season-no surprise to Broncophiles, but a reminder to us all.

And here’s one straight from an ESPN Sports Poll: the Denver Broncos rank as America’s ninth favorite pro sports (the sixth favorite NFL team), despite not placing a player in the top 10 list of America’s favorite athletes. That number nine ranking is up for the Broncos from number 13 is 2007 and number 11 in 2008, again according to figures from the Nielsen survey.

The NFL teams ranked above Denver are: Dallas, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, and Indianapolis, with Denver sixth in the NFL, ninth overall. The New York Yankees (third overall behind Cowboys and Steelers), Las Angeles Lakers (fourth overall) and Boston Red Sox (eight overall) are the only non-NFL teams ranked ahead of the Broncos.

Some great research that shows us all, one more time, what BIG is.

Davii
04-09-2010, 10:48 PM
If there is a lockout after this season BIG will get smaller, without a doubt.

Dirk
04-10-2010, 06:30 AM
That's quite interesting. The Broncos are so highly ranked and the east and west coast media still snubs them.

Nomad
04-10-2010, 06:36 AM
If there is a lockout after this season BIG will get smaller, without a doubt.

Yeah, especially when these guys are whining about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in this economy, I believe the NFL in general will lose a good percentage of it's fanbase like MLB did! All I can say college football/high school football will always live on!!

Hardwired
04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Much as I hate to say it, if the NFL strikes or locks out the players, the NFL will be dead to me for a good number of years. I still rarely watch baseball after their strike and that was years ago. I have no sympathy for millionaires who make their money off of fans like me and who have so little respect for us and the game they play.

Nice to see the Broncos love, though. In St Louis this weekend with my Broncos cap on and closet Broncos fans keep making conversation, literally in the shadow of the Rams' stadium.

gregbroncs
04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I hate to say it. And I'll be pretty upset if it happens. But a lockout for the NFL will not hurt it as much as it did baseball. The fans will come back in a hurry once it starts back up. The owners will probably use replacements again and most of the fans will watch it because it's the NFL. The NFL will still be king of sports even while in lockout more than likely. I don't know how they have done it but they have become the American sport and the fans will flock back like it's water in the desert once they return.

That said please work it out and don't have a lockout.

rationalfan
04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
That's quite interesting. The Broncos are so highly ranked and the east and west coast media still snubs them.

yeah, because the national media never talks about the broncos. has never let the cutler/marshal/mcdaniels drama dominate programming for weeks. never shown the team on prime time games. never had stories about john elway. never talked about the team when it was undefeated early in the 09 season. never.

come on people. the "east and west coast media" won't display the same fandom as you, but be realistic when thinking the national media outlets ignore the broncos.

Lonestar
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
If there is a lockout or strike then there will be some fall in the ratings.

But I doubt either will take place as a new CBA gets done or it is just another year as it is right now. But after another year with lower salaries the RFA will push harder for a CBA, as there will be another group entering into it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

honz
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Are you sure? Or are Bronco fans just insecure? I seem to see a lot of Broncos coverage on TV and online.

T.K.O.
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I hate to say it. And I'll be pretty upset if it happens. But a lockout for the NFL will not hurt it as much as it did baseball. The fans will come back in a hurry once it starts back up. The owners will probably use replacements again and most of the fans will watch it because it's the NFL. The NFL will still be king of sports even while in lockout more than likely. I don't know how they have done it but they have become the American sport and the fans will flock back like it's water in the desert once they return.

That said please work it out and don't have a lockout.

no replacements....in a lockout there will be no nfl.
owners can only use "replacements" if there is a strike.(or if keanu reeves says he'll play):laugh:

Hoser
04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Much as I hate to say it, if the NFL strikes or locks out the players, the NFL will be dead to me for a good number of years. I still rarely watch baseball after their strike and that was years ago. I have no sympathy for millionaires who make their money off of fans like me and who have so little respect for us and the game they play.

Nice to see the Broncos love, though. In St Louis this weekend with my Broncos cap on and closet Broncos fans keep making conversation, literally in the shadow of the Rams' stadium.

I think we need to keep it in perspective that not every player is a multi-millionaire. A lot of them are fringe players who are still trying to make money for their family. All they have is football. They get hit with a knee injury and they're cut in camp like they're nothing and then their career is over.

Broncolingus
04-11-2010, 08:49 AM
I am big...

Lonestar
04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I think we need to keep it in perspective that not every player is a multi-millionaire. A lot of them are fringe players who are still trying to make money for their family. All they have is football. They get hit with a knee injury and they're cut in camp like they're nothing and then their career is over.

It is a rare player that is not signed to a 6 figure contract.

If they have no other skills than playing football they have NO one but themselves to blame.

Sorry I have little sympaty for them.

If they have not taken precautions to save some of the money in case of injury that is because they are stupid.

If all they dreamed about in college was getting a huge paycheck while they were getting a free education then shame on them.

honz
04-11-2010, 10:09 AM
It is a rare player that is not signed to a 6 figure contract.

If they have no other skills than playing football they have NO one but themselves to blame.

Sorry I have little sympaty for them.

If they have not taken precautions to save some of the money in case of injury that is because they are stupid.

If all they dreamed about in college was getting a huge paycheck while they were getting a free education then shame on them.

So if someone's only trade is welding and they get their hand chopped of in freak accident you don't feel sorry for them?

spikerman
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I'll be very disappointed if there is a strike or lockout, but I'll go running back to my tv as soon as it's over. Personally, I'd rather watch replacements play football than an NBA game anyday. Of course, that's not saying much - I would rather watch my neighbor paint his house than watch an NBA game.

Nomad
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll be very disappointed if there is a strike or lockout, but I'll go running back to my tv as soon as it's over. Personally, I'd rather watch replacements play football than an NBA game anyday. Of course, that's not saying much - I would rather watch my neighbor paint his house than watch an NBA game.

My favorite NBA years where from the mid 80s to the late 90s!

spikerman
04-11-2010, 11:45 AM
My favorite NBA years where from the mid 80s to the late 90s!

Even though I wasn't a fan of any team, the best NBA basketball I ever saw was the '80s with the "Showtime" Lakers, the Larry Bird Celtics, and the Dr. J/Moses Malone Sixers. It was a team game back then. Now it's 10 guys playing 1-on-1. I live in San Antonio and went to a Spurs game recently (I was given free tix) and I found that the only thing more boring than NBA basketball on tv is NBA basketball live. Sorry for the hijack. I'll get back on topic now.