PDA

View Full Version : Legwold's Top 10 Prospects

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
The Rocky has watched the videos, crunched the numbers, surveyed scouts and personnel executives throughout the league over the past six months to determine the top 100 prospects, regardless of position or team needs in the selection order, available in this year’s draft. Here are the top 10. Look for Nos. 11-100 by 4 p.m. today.

1. Glenn Dorsey

DT, Louisiana State

Height: 6-11/2; Weight: 297

Some have concerns about an old stress fracture in his right leg, but he still collected most of the trophies on defense in ’07, played 52 career games with 31 starts and dominated in virtually all of those. A captain on a national championship team who played hurt and beat enough double- and triple-teams for back-to-back 60-tackle seasons. Even on a sore knee in ’07 — he was chop-blocked illegally by an Auburn guard – he was simply unblockable at times. Dorsey won the Nagurski and Lott awards and the Outland and Lombardi trophies in 2007.

“You want to be that guy that gets his name called first,” Dorsey said. “You want to set yourself up to go as high as possible. That would be a dream. That is the ultimate goal.”

2. Vernon Gholston

DE, Ohio State

Height: 6-3; Weight: 266

Speed — a 4.67 40 electronically timed — and power — he benched 225 pounds 37 times to lead all defensive linemen at the combine — make him the best pass rusher on the board. Had 211/2 sacks in last two seasons combined.

3. Chris Long

DE, Virginia

Height: 6-3; Weight: 272

The Atlantic Coast Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year in ’07 with 14 sacks. Has been groomed by father — Hall of Famer Howie — and his technique, especially his hands to free himself from blockers, is the best in the class.

4. Jake Long

T, Michigan

Height: 6-7; Weight: 313

Won Big Ten offensive lineman of the year award in back-to-back seasons, even beating Joe Thomas and Levi Brown — both top five picks — to do it in ’06. Surrendered just two sacks in last 25 starts and played both tackle spots for Wolverines. A few teams have him as the No. 1 player on the board.

5. Darren McFadden

RB, Arkansas

Height: 6-1 1/4; Weight: 211

There are some off-the-field concerns and a toe injury — it was hanging by tendons before an ’06 surgery — has probably been underestimated by some. But explosive on the field, with the kind of big-play potential that will make someone take the plunge early.

McFadden is the top player on several teams’ boards around the league.

“I feel like I’m a very versatile player,” McFadden said. “I can go out there and line up at receiver, I can line up in the backfield and block, line up back there and run, I can throw a pass if you need me to. But like if I had to, I could play defense.”

6. Sedrick Ellis

DT, Southern Cal

Height: 6-0 1/2; Weight: 309

Coveted because he plays a big-man game with small-guy quickness. Dominated at the Senior Bowl workouts and had 81/2 sacks to go with 121/2 tackles for loss in ’07 playing from the inside. Understands how to get rid of blockers and has the speed to close things down when he does.

7. Keith Rivers

LB, Southern Cal

Height: 6-2 1/4; Weight: 241

Easily at the top of what is a weak class overall at the position. Has had surgery on each ankle, so that concerns some, but sees the play well and closes to ball with a fluid stride. Not a remember-when hitter, but a sure tackler who gets the guy on the ground.

8. Jonathan Stewart

RB, Oregon

Height: 5-10 1/4; Weight: 235

Recent toe surgery should cause some to take pause, but if he recovers as expected this is a potential rushing champion. Ran consistent 4.4s in his 40s despite being one of the biggest backs on the board. Bench-pressed 410 pounds at Oregon, the program’s best ever for a running back.

9. Rashard Mendenhall

RB, Illinois

Height: 5-10 1/8; Weight: 225

If a 79-yard TD run to go with a dump-off pass he turned into a 55-yard play can launch a guy into the top 10, then he did just that by running away — on both plays — from several NFL-worthy defenders with Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl.

10. Brian Brohm

QB, Louisville

Height: 6-2 7/8; Weight: 230

No, it’s not a misprint, this is the best pro-QB-in-waiting in this class. The difference is accuracy. Brohm hits guys in stride and in a catch-and-run league that’s how a quarterback moves the chains and gets an offense down the field. He puts the ball in frame and never completed fewer than 63.6 percent of his passes in his career.

Fan in Exile
04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I gotta say that I'm still not sold on Ellis. The knock on him was his motor so it seems like a bad idea for him to have risen so high based on skills everyone knew he had, without answering the motor question. I think that if he goes to a team like the Bengals which is a locker room in disarray the questions are just going to bloom into full grown problems.

Rex
04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Tubby, where is Matt Ryan?

WARHORSE
04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
This is the kind of thing we can hope for happening before we pick at 12.
If a team like Atlanta likes Brohm over Ryan, and takes him at three, all heck could break loose. One team that makes a dumb pick, is all we need.

Ryan would end up in the Ravens lap, and then everyone will be trying to trade up for a player they didnt think was going to be there at a lower than expected pick.

shank
04-19-2008, 03:16 PM
I gotta say that I'm still not sold on Ellis. The knock on him was his motor so it seems like a bad idea for him to have risen so high based on skills everyone knew he had, without answering the motor question. I think that if he goes to a team like the Bengals which is a locker room in disarray the questions are just going to bloom into full grown problems.

ellis' motor has never come into question. he's a high motor, hard worker. his size was always the biggest knock, and the fact that he only really fits in a 4-3.