topscribe
04-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Abdullah returning with one-year deal

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/18/2008 01:56:59 AM MDT

Hamza Abdullah will get a $927,000 salary this season to play safety for the
Broncos. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )

There is a sweet smell of exhale in the front office hallways at Dove Valley.
Hamza Abdullah has been removed from the restricted free-agent market.

The fourth-year safety signed his one-year contract tender with the
Broncos on Thursday, a day before the restricted free-agent period expired.
Expected to open the season as the Broncos' starting strong safety,
Abdullah will receive a $927,000 salary.

The compensation for another team to sign Abdullah would have been only
a seventh-round draft pick, so it's surprising he didn't get much action. But
with no offer sheets, Abdullah decided to clear his mind and concentrate on
getting ready for the 2008 season.

"The reason we decided to do this now is Hamza wanted to be a Bronco,"
said C.J. Laboy, Abdullah's agent. "He loves playing for the Broncos, he's
happy living in Denver and that's where he wants to be. Even if we would
have waited to see if another team would have stepped forward with an
offer sheet, Hamza's hope still would have been to stay in Denver."

A seventh-round pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2005, Abdullah
started the final eight games for the Broncos last season.

He will likely begin training camp starting at strong safety next to veteran
John Lynch, although both safeties will receive competition from veteran
free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree.

From those four safeties, Abdullah, 24, is the youngest and fastest, so he
may be the only every-down player from the group. The Broncos and
Abdullah engaged in multiyear contract talks earlier this offseason but
couldn't reach an agreement. The two sides may revisit a contract
extension before he becomes eligible for free agency after the 2008 season.

Two other restricted free agents — cornerbacks Domonique Foxworth and
Karl Paymah — are likely to sign their contract tenders of $927,000 by
tonight.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8965545

-----

That's what the Broncos need: Players who want to be here.

-----

NightTrainLayne
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm probably the only one, but I think this is good news.

Hamza isn't a pro-bowler, but this signing means he comes cheap. I think he did improve some last year, and I hope he develops into a solid starter. At least we're not risking a pile of cash to find out.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, Denver has a bunch of options at safety who have one year contracts; they'll see who works out and re-sign accordingly. At the end of next season, we'll probably need a high draft pick on one. If Phillips fell to #42; I could see some interest.

tubby
04-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Hopefully the Big Whiffer gets some corrective lenses before the season starts.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Hazma is better than Nick Ferguson and reminds me of Kennoy Kennedy....I'm fine with him staying, he still has potential to be very good.

Thnikkaman
04-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I like this move. I think he has the potential to do well.

Rex
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Hazma is better than Nick Ferguson and reminds me of Kennoy Kennedy....I'm fine with him staying, he still has potential to be very good.

You are better than Nick Ferguson. Someone get Dr. Death some cleats.

topscribe
04-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Except he's faster than Kennedy was. And that's something he adds to the
position here: speed. Of course, Hamza missed some tackles. He admitted to
it in a recent interview, and said it is something on which he is focusing. If he
can just get to where he wraps up, I think he can really be something out
there.

-----

BroncoJoe
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
That's what the Broncos need: Players who want to be here.

-----

I'm not so sure it's becasue he want's to be here. No one else offered him/us a deal.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm not so sure it's becasue he want's to be here. No one else offered him/us a deal.

Come on Joe... who wouldn't want to be on a sub .500 team?

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 12:55 PM
The Denver Post indicates that Broncos FS John Lynch may not be an every-down player this season.

Lynch, who has only one pick and eight breakups the past two years, could lose his spot in the nickel package to Marquand Manuel. This would really hurt Lynch's IDP value, which has taken a downturn since 2005 anyways.
Source: Denver Post

topscribe
04-18-2008, 12:56 PM

"The reason we decided to do this now is Hamza wanted to be a Bronco,"
said C.J. Laboy, Abdullah's agent. "He loves playing for the Broncos, he's
happy living in Denver and that's where he wants to be. Even if we would
have waited to see if another team would have stepped forward with an
offer sheet, Hamza's hope still would have been to stay in Denver."

Maybe he doesn't want to be here. I just saw what his agent said.

-----

Drill-N-Fill
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
The Denver Post indicates that Broncos FS John Lynch may not be an every-down player this season.

Lynch, who has only one pick and eight breakups the past two years, could lose his spot in the nickel package to Marquand Manuel. This would really hurt Lynch's IDP value, which has taken a downturn since 2005 anyways.

I thought he was taken out on nickle situations for Foxworth last year. I like the fact of keeping him in maybe 1st downs, and bringing in another saftey on passing downs.

honz
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM

That's probably a good thing...he looked really slow last year.

jrelway
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
i like the signing..its only for a year and gives us much depth at the position..he's played hard for us, and is still learning.

Ziggy
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I like the signing only because it gives us depth at the position at a low price. There's a reason no other team even made him an offer. As far as his agent saying he wanted to stay in Denver even if had gotten offers from other teams...what do you expect him to say? Agents are PR guys. If he would have gone to Cleveland his agent would have said that that's where he really wanted to be. I trust the words of a sports agent about as much as I trust a used car salesman.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM
i like the signing..its only for a year and gives us much depth at the position..he's played hard for us, and is still learning.

I like it because that means we will have a need at safety next year and next years safety crop is great!... it will be a nice need to have:D

come on Mays! or Rolle!

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Broncos | Paymah likely to sign tender offer
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:29:32 -0700

Mike Klis, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos CB Karl Paymah is likely to sign his contract tender of $927,000 by Friday, April 18.

tubby
04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I am excited about The Terrorist this season. Packed marketplaces, funerals, and hopefully the offenses wide recievers all suffer.

Completely inappropriate beef. :coffee:

topscribe
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Completely inappropriate beef. :coffee:

:lol:

Well, if Beef thinks this much of Hamza, then I'm with him.

If the boy can just learn to tackle consistently, he will indeed be a terror.

-----

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Like Kennoy? Not really. Hamza is a weak tackler, especially in open field and Hamza does not scare anyone WRs coming down the middle. Kennoy's name alone put the fear in opposing WRs who knew they will playing Denver that week.

Retired_Member_001
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Hamza brings good depth to the team. With Lynch needing a walking stick to get on the field this season, I'm especially glad we've got Hamza. He's not a long-term solution but he's good value for money.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Like Kennoy? Not really. Hamza is a weak tackler, especially in open field and Hamza does not scare anyone WRs coming down the middle. Kennoy's name alone put the fear in opposing WRs who knew they will playing Denver that week.

How many Broncos games have you watched exactly? Hamza may not be a consistant tackler, but he will light you up.... With his speed and size, he will lay the wood on you. I still remember a few of his hits from last year, as well as some of his wiffs... but Kennoy was the same way.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Hamza Abdullah Hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw92nzY--8)

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Hamza consistently over ran plays and missed tackles on a regular bases. You can bet he'll whiff on at least 2 tackles per game where the opposing RB or WR cuts right by him and he is left stumbling without even getting a hand on the guy. Bad hips and balance. Then again, that was the case with the whole defense last year.

topscribe
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Hamza consistently over ran plays and missed tackles on a regular bases. You can bet he'll whiff on at least 2 tackles where the opposing RB or WR cuts right by him and he is left stumbling without even getting a hand on the guy. Bad hips and balance. Then again, that was the case with the whole defense last year.

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210348&postcount=9

-----

Drill-N-Fill
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Hamza Abdullah Hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw92nzY--8)

For someone who played very few NFL games, he didn't play bad at all. I don't know why people aren't willing to give him a shot. He just needs experience, just like any young player. He has this year if he has what it takes to be a starter. Otherwise the position will be addressed in next years draft.

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I like the signing only because it gives us depth at the position at a low price. There's a reason no other team even made him an offer. As far as his agent saying he wanted to stay in Denver even if had gotten offers from other teams...what do you expect him to say? Agents are PR guys. If he would have gone to Cleveland his agent would have said that that's where he really wanted to be. I trust the words of a sports agent about as much as I trust a used car salesman.

Or Democrat Presidential candidates..

honz
04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
...or Republican presidential candidates.:coffee:
:D

Skinny
04-18-2008, 04:59 PM

...or Republican presidential candidates.:coffee:
:D

http://gamecocksportsforum.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_lamer.gif

topscribe
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM

Well, we have two posts that don't belong in here, but they cancel each
other out, so we can get :focus:

-----

honz
04-18-2008, 05:19 PM
:sorry:

On topic: Hamza rocks and will surprise people with his stellar play this season.:salute:

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 05:33 PM
:sorry:

On topic: Hamza rocks and will surprise people with his stellar play this season.:salute:

In your dreams..

topscribe
04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
In your dreams..
:lol: Could be . . .

-----

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Hamza consistently over ran plays and missed tackles on a regular bases. You can bet he'll whiff on at least 2 tackles per game where the opposing RB or WR cuts right by him and he is left stumbling without even getting a hand on the guy. Bad hips and balance. Then again, that was the case with the whole defense last year.

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210348&postcount=9

-----

So what? Hamza sucks. If Ed Reed is a 10 in a 1-10 scale, I'll give Hamza a 2.556.

The rest of league basically thought Hamza is not worth a 7th rounder and a minimal contract. The Broncos have become a team that is content with "players with potential", not players that kick ass.

In yesteryears, you couldn't count all the impact players in the starting lineup without asking your buddy to hold up the 11th fingers and beyond. Now, it's hard to count 5.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe we should bring Brandon Browner back.

topscribe
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
So what? Hamza sucks. If Ed Reed is a 10 in a 1-10 scale, I'll give Hamza a 2.556.

The rest of league basically thought Hamza is not worth a 7th rounder and a minimal contract. The Broncos have become a team that is content with "players with potential", not players that kick ass.

In yesteryears, you couldn't count all the impact players in the starting lineup without asking your buddy to hold up the 11th fingers and beyond. Now, it's hard to count 5.

Apparently, the rest of the league once though Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder
and Rod Smith wasn't worth drafting. Oh yes, Matt Lepsis wasn't worth
drafting, and Karl Mecklenburg was deemed only a 12th rounder.

And Ryan Leaf and Gerard Warren were an overall #1.

I don't tend to go by what the rest of the league thinks.

Nonetheless, Hamza doesn't have to be Ed Reed. All he has to do is to
improve in his tackling, and he indicated he is focusing on that improvement.
So I'll go ahead and see how he does this year before I throw him under the
bus. :coffee:

-----

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Many people don't know that Ed Reed isn't as good as advertised..... Here is an article on Reed......

Reed's metrics were terrible last year. His 14.9 combined YPA was the fifth-worst in the league among coverage safeties. He gave up the third-highest number of total yards. He had the fourth-most bomb passes thrown his way and the third-worst YPA at that depth level.

I know there are those who will say that the game broadcast tapes don't show everything that Reed does and that these numbers are anomalies, but let me throw this out in my defense. Carson Palmer said that Reed often doesn't play his coverage and thinks he knows what's coming. Palmer also commented that Reed can get frustrated when the offense is getting some things going and will try to come up and make a play and lose his responsibilities because of it. Palmer was able to exploit Reed's impatience in Week 13, when he connected on a flea-flicker pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh for a 40-yard touchdown.

The metrics show that Palmer isn't the only quarterback who knows Reed's coverage weaknesses. That is why I believe Reed is the most overrated safety in the league.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Nonetheless, Hamza doesn't have to be Ed Reed. All he has to do is to
improve in his tackling, and he indicated he is focusing on that improvement.
So I'll go ahead and see how he does this year before I throw him under the
bus. :coffee:

-----

This is funny. You guys think he's the team's potential starting SS but the guy can't tackle. Obviously the coaching staff doesn't think Hamza is any good and that's why they signed a bunch of veteran safeties in the off season and dangled Hamza in the FA market. From what I saw last year, Hamza isn't a safety and he's not a corner. Come on, tackling is the 1st thing taught since before High School and if you don't have it by the time you are a JR in College, you wont pick it up.

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Many people don't know that Ed Reed isn't as good as advertised..... Here is an article on Reed......

Reed's metrics were terrible last year. His 14.9 combined YPA was the fifth-worst in the league among coverage safeties. He gave up the third-highest number of total yards. He had the fourth-most bomb passes thrown his way and the third-worst YPA at that depth level.

I know there are those who will say that the game broadcast tapes don't show everything that Reed does and that these numbers are anomalies, but let me throw this out in my defense. Carson Palmer said that Reed often doesn't play his coverage and thinks he knows what's coming. Palmer also commented that Reed can get frustrated when the offense is getting some things going and will try to come up and make a play and lose his responsibilities because of it. Palmer was able to exploit Reed's impatience in Week 13, when he connected on a flea-flicker pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh for a 40-yard touchdown.

The metrics show that Palmer isn't the only quarterback who knows Reed's coverage weaknesses. That is why I believe Reed is the most overrated safety in the league.

And what is Hamaza's?

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 06:20 PM

That Ravens defense has had it's ups and downs last season mostly due to an absent offense. The stats put up against Ed Reed last season can be looked at in many ways. I don't think any other safety is even close to Reed's INT totals, TD returns from INTs and even TDs for fielding punts/kicks the last few years he's been in the league. In fact, how many safeties have you seen return punts/kicks on the fly when asked to?

He's one of the fastest, hardest hitting safety in the league. A natural ball hawk. I wish Lynch was close to being as good as him. Ed Reed is one of the best if not the best Free Safety in the league.

honz
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
In your dreams..
I'm serious...I think Hamza will impress a lot of Bronco fans this year and will earn the starting safety job. He impressed me last year, but he went for the "hit" too often and forgot to make sure he actually tackled the ball carrier first.

topscribe
04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
This is funny. You guys think he's the team's potential starting SS but the guy can't tackle. Obviously the coaching staff doesn't think Hamza is any good and that's why they signed a bunch of veteran safeties in the off season and dangled Hamza in the FA market. From what I saw last year, Hamza isn't a safety and he's not a corner. Come on, tackling is the 1st thing taught since before High School and if you don't have it by the time you are a JR in College, you wont pick it up.

Did I say Hamza is the potential starting safety? How far along are you in reading skills?

I said let's wait and see. That's what I said. Is that so complicated?

-----

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I said let's wait and see. That's what I said. Is that so complicated?

-----

All I'm saying is you are defending Hamza like as though he'll be the next Atwaters. You went as far as comparing Hamza to Kennoy "the Killer" Kennedy.

Except he's faster than Kennedy was. And that's something he adds to the
position here: speed. Of course, Hamza missed some tackles.

-----

I'll take Kennoy any day Hamza. Kennoy was the not fastest but I never saw him miss tackles like Hamza did last year. In fact, Kennoy hated missing tackles or a play so much that he'll take your head off even if he was a second to late.

Rodney Harrison, also another safety that was definitely far from fast but his presents alone will prevent a catch or 2 per game. Here's another slow Safety who been a annual Pro-Bowler, he wears #47.

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm serious...I think Hamza will impress a lot of Bronco fans this year and will earn the starting safety job. He impressed me last year, but he went for the "hit" too often and forgot to make sure he actually tackled the ball carrier first.

Well I'll rest better tonight knowing that both you and mikey like him.

But since none of the rest of the NFL HC's, GM's or DC's did he had NO other options..

champbronc2
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:elefant::elefant::elefant:

TXBRONC
04-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm probably the only one, but I think this is good news.

Hamza isn't a pro-bowler, but this signing means he comes cheap. I think he did improve some last year, and I hope he develops into a solid starter. At least we're not risking a pile of cash to find out.

No you're not alone NTL in thinking this is good news.

Drill-N-Fill
04-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Well I'll rest better tonight knowing that both you and mikey like him.

But since none of the rest of the NFL HC's, GM's or DC's did he had NO other options..

He played a handfull of games and wasn't bad. Sure he wiffed couple of times, but who didn't in our defense last year. Like I have been saying, give the kid a chance to see what he's got. It might not be saying much, but he's by far our best Saftey. Let's see what the kid has this season.

topscribe
04-19-2008, 01:08 AM
All I'm saying is you are defending Hamza like as though he'll be the next Atwaters. You went as far as comparing Hamza to Kennoy "the Killer" Kennedy.

I'll take Kennoy any day Hamza. Kennoy was the not fastest but I never saw him miss tackles like Hamza did last year. In fact, Kennoy hated missing tackles or a play so much that he'll take your head off even if he was a second to late.

Rodney Harrison, also another safety that was definitely far from fast but his presents alone will prevent a catch or 2 per game. Here's another slow Safety who been a annual Pro-Bowler, he wears #47.

Go back read again. I was not the one to compare Abdullah with Kennedy
I responded that he is faster than Kennedy. He is faster than Kennedy.
And I am not "defending" Abdullah. I merely repeated what had been said
about him by coaches.

This is irritating me even to be typing this to you. I hate it when people
put words into my mouth. :mad:

-----

DenverBronkHoes
04-19-2008, 05:46 AM
abdulllah has potential to do well... the tackles me made were impressive... Following thru on alot of them.... finishing the tackle... hitting the guy hard

if he sharpens up a bit he will be better than Kennedy... Kennedy really wasnt anything spectaculr anyway... He hit people hard... got fined for it.... moved on..

champbronc2
04-19-2008, 01:05 PM
abdulllah has potential to do well... the tackles me made were impressive... Following thru on alot of them.... finishing the tackle... hitting the guy hard

if he sharpens up a bit he will be better than Kennedy... Kennedy really wasnt anything spectaculr anyway... He hit people hard... got fined for it.... moved on..
That is pretty much the story.

Hamza sometimes tries to lay the smack down too much though. Too many whiffs.

pnbronco
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
No you're not alone NTL in thinking this is good news.

Me too... I agree with CB2 and DBH. I'm glad they're giving him a chance and for the money it's worth it.

HolyDiver
04-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Go back read again. I was not the one to compare Abdullah with Kennedy
I responded that he is faster than Kennedy. He is faster than Kennedy.
And I am not "defending" Abdullah. I merely repeated what had been said
about him by coaches.

This is irritating me even to be typing this to you. I hate it when people
put words into my mouth. :mad:

-----

Actually, Kennedy's combine time was 4.49 if I remember correctly...............or, something very close to that..............It was not over4.5's for sure................I think Kenoy's problem was he didn't react quick enough..............So, speed is only as good as your reaction time to start running that direction................I think Abdullah reacts well and really that's his strong point................I also am very high on Steve Cargile..............He's my sleeper for this season.

RunYouOver
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm pretty sure saying someone is faster than someone else doesn't mean you're comparing them as players.

If he went so far to compare their SPEEDS, then he was right in doing so, because Hamza is a comparable player in terms of speed.

Did he say Hamza is the better SS and will start?

If he did, I missed that.

I'm happy with this signing, I think Hamza has a lot of potential, but I'm not going overboard, we'll have to wait and see how he does.

I don't know if he still plays special teams, but I remember that was something he was very good at.

RunYouOver
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Thought I'd post THIS (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/64743.html)

It's a draft analysis of Abdullah from 2005.

topscribe
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Actually, Kennedy's combine time was 4.49 if I remember correctly...............or, something very close to that..............It was not over4.5's for sure................I think Kenoy's problem was he didn't react quick enough..............So, speed is only as good as your reaction time to start running that direction................I think Abdullah reacts well and really that's his strong point................I also am very high on Steve Cargile..............He's my sleeper for this season.

Kennedy's Combine speed was 4.76. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=60745

Nonetheless, I was actually going by what I observed between them on the
football field. You are aware, of course, that there is 40 time, then there is
football speed.

Anyway, Abdullah will have to work on some things to be as good as
Kennedy. Consistent tackling comes to mind. As I mentioned, however,
Abdullah is aware of that and said he is focusing on that. So, as I also
mentioned, we'll see.

Regarding Cargile, it is a surprise to me that he's still with the team. I don't
really share your optimism about him, but I do hope you're right, of course.

-----

HolyDiver
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Kennedy's Combine speed was 4.76. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=60745

Nonetheless, I was actually going by what I observed between them on the
football field. You are aware, of course, that there is 40 time, then there is
football speed.

Anyway, Abdullah will have to work on some things to be as good as
Kennedy. Consistent tackling comes to mind. As I mentioned, however,
Abdullah is aware of that and said he is focusing on that. So, as I also
mentioned, we'll see.

Regarding Cargile, it is a surprise to me that he's still with the team. I don't
really share your optimism about him, but I do hope you're right, of course.

-----

Maybe it wasn't the combine time then...................Deltha O'Neil ran under a 4.4 at the combine.............but was listed at 4.6 in most magazines...............I guess it was not Kennedy's combine time then............