PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on the Field

T.K.O.
04-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Eyes on the Field

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It's not easy to find the field when you're drafted to a team that features two starters with a total of 23 years of experience at your position.

Such was the case for Darcel McBath and David Bruton in 2009.

But just because they were relegated to backup roles behind Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill didn't mean the rookies approached the season any differently.

"I compete every day," McBath said. "These guys, they've been doing it for a long time and they're really good, but if I wasn't out there competing to be what I want to be, then I wouldn't be myself. And they wouldn't have it any other way. We're all out there competing. That's what makes everybody better. That way, when any one of us are in the game, we're playing at our best. I'm pushing them and they're pushing me."

Through that sort of competition, McBath and Bruton both managed to find playing time in at least 13 games -- Bruton even started one -- through hard work and being willing to contribute any way they could.

The two safeties found most of their success on special teams. McBath was one of five rookies last season to lead his team in special-teams tackles, Bruton tied for fourth on the team with nine special-teams stops and both downed their fair share of punts inside the 10-yard line.

But both players also found time on the defensive side of the ball due to injuries, and they were ready.

"I had a chance to learn from great veterans such as 'Naldy (Renaldo Hill), Champ (Bailey), Dawk (Brian Dawkins) and Goody (Andre Goodman)," Bruton said. "I understand with those veterans there my role primarily now is on special teams, but it does not hinder me from competing and trying to go out there and take a starting job."

Bruton earned that starting job against the Oakland Raiders when Hill sat out due to injury. The second-year player said he was just trying not to "wreck the ship" when he entered the lineup, but he finished with five tackles -- four solo -- and a pass breakup in the end zone.

McBath saw some playing time on defense as well, and made the most of it. In just his second NFL game, he grabbed his first career interception in the waning seconds against the Cleveland Browns. He notched a career-high seven tackles against the San Diego Chargers later in the season, and intercepted his second pass of the season in his final game of the year at Indianapolis before being placed on injured reserve with a forearm injury.

Both credited that experience on defense as a large building block heading into year two.

"For me, it was kind of a eye-opener in the sense where I actually feel like I can play in the NFL," Bruton said. "I've got that experience under my belt that I know how to prepare for a game. If I need to do extra stuff to know the opponent, I have a feel for how to go about that."

McBath said his time on the field helped him get to know the defense better, and as Bruton mentioned, learn to study opponents to be ready when game day arrives. But most of all, McBath said he was proud of how he translated his skills in practice to the game.

"I think from the time that I got here to the last game that I played last season, I think I made a huge change," he said. "I'm excited about this year. Any little opportunities that I get on special teams or defense, I'm excited about getting out there and making an impact."

HEALED AND READY

McBath's rookie season was cut short by a forearm injury suffered in a loss to the Indianapolis Colts. He was placed on injured reserve on Dec. 14, and since then has done everything he can to make sure he will be ready to contribute in 2010.

On Thursday, McBath seemed confident in that goal.

"I was (rehabbing at Dove Valley) for the majority of the time, but I got some time off," McBath said of his offseason. "My injury wasn't as significant as a lot of people thought. It's just healing up and I'm back, ready to play."

He called the injury, which occurred while making a tackle, "a freak thing."

In the midst of the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program, McBath called the experience "a minor setback," and he's not hampered at all by the injury.

"I'm going full-go," he said.

QUICK STAT

As noted by Executive Director of Media Relations Patrick Smyth on his Twitter page, Champ Bailey has started 56 games in the past four years. During that time, he has been thrown at 291 times.

Why is that significant? Because he has been called for pass interference just once.

T.K.O.
04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
i like it !
champ's 1 pass interference is pretty amazing.
man its gonna be a long 5 months.................

dogfish
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
that really is an amazing stat-- it almost strains credibility. . . .

Ziggy
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
What makes it more amazing is the fact that Champ is almost always on the other team's best WR. He may be a half step slower, but he's still one of the top corners in this league.

topscribe
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
What makes it more amazing is the fact that Champ is almost always on the other team's best WR. He may be a half step slower, but he's still one of the top corners in this league.

Considering the fastest speed Champ ever recorded was 4.19, what is ½ step slower? :shocked:

-----