PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall, Cherilus make visit to Dove Valley

claymore
04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I hate posting DP stories because everyone probably reads them on there own. But, Still needs to be talked a bout. If we could get to of the below highlighted players with our first 2 picks, this draft is a success IMO.

c
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/17/2008 12:06:26 AM MDT

Cherilus: The offensive tackle is big, athletic and interesting. ` Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall, projected as a first-round pick, and Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, who is expected to go late in the first or early in the second, visited with Broncos coaches and officials Wednesday.

The 6-foot-7, 314-pound Cherilus was a right tackle until he switched to left tackle in his senior season. Which is nothing compared to the adjustment he made from growing up playing soccer in Haiti to moving to the United States at age 14 and playing football for the first time as a high school sophomore.

"Even if he wasn't such a phenomenal offensive tackle, Gosder would be one of the most fascinating people you could ever meet," said Greg Diulus, his agent. "He speaks fluent French. He's one of the bigger tackles in this draft, but he's also one of the most athletic."

The Broncos are considering taking Mendenhall, Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, Miami safety Kenny Phillips, North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, receivers DeSean Jackson of Cal and Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly or any number of offensive tackles, including Cherilus, with their first-round draft pick April 26.
Choosing a player for the helmet device.

The Broncos have yet to discuss which player will get the communication device in his helmet for the purpose of receiving play calls from defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. The most logical candidates would be middle linebacker Niko Koutouvides, weakside linebacker D.J. Williams and perhaps safety Hamza Abdullah or John Lynch.

Only one player per huddle can have the device.

"We have a lot of questions about it as far as how it's going to work," Koutouvides said. "There's so many personnel changes on defense, and a lot of times you don't get the play called until the offense is coming up to the line. So we all have a lot of questions as to how it's going to work."

underrated29
04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Stewart number 1, gosder #2- If he doesnt win out the LT from harris kupes he is a good backup and probably a better RT than pears, which is what we need. I like it!

NO desean, No phillips until 2nd rd.

Everything else i wouldnt be disappointed but not excited.

claymore
04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Stewart number 1, gosder #2- If he doesnt win out the LT from harris kupes he is a good backup and probably a better RT than pears, which is what we need. I like it!

Give me Mendenhall or Stewart, and any of the others in the 2nd and Im drinking in celebration. :elefant::eek::elefant:

underrated29
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Give me Mendenhall or Stewart, and any of the others in the 2nd and Im drinking in celebration. :elefant::eek::elefant:

First round is one me then:beer::beer:

lex
04-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah!

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, now we know it won't be any of those guys. That leaves Wr, Devin Thomas, WR Limas Sweed, and Keith Rivers

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
As for the communication device in his helmet, I think it should go to McCree and Lynch. They can take turns filling in for each other, they are both smart veterans and they both can see the field well from their position.

Ziggy
04-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, now we know it won't be any of those guys. That leaves Wr, Devin Thomas, WR Limas Sweed, and Keith Rivers

Albert hasn't been in for a visit has he?

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Albert hasn't been in for a visit has he?

no but the article mentions DT and OT so we have to throw that out... unless they are looking at him as a guard which is good I guess.

HolyDiver
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM

As long as we get Laws in the 2nd round, I'm not too concerned who we draft in the 1st.

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
As long as we get Laws in the 2nd round, I'm not too concerned who we draft in the 1st.

I hope Dan Connor falls to us in the 2nd round, but Laws would be sweet as well, espically if we don't trade for Robertson.

HolyDiver
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I hope Dan Connor falls to us in the 2nd round, but Laws would be sweet as well, espically if we don't trade for Robertson.

Even if we did sign Robertson, we still need another DT...............Marcus Thomas is one arrest away from being cut from the team.................He came VERY close a few months ago...............Plus, Robertson would only be a temporay fix..........Does anyone really think the guy can play for 3 or 4 years in Denver?

claymore
04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Even if we did sign Robertson, we still need another DT...............Marcus Thomas is one arrest away from being cut from the team.................He came VERY close a few months ago...............Plus, Robertson would only be a temporay fix..........Does anyone really think the guy can play for 3 or 4 years in Denver?As long as he doesnt watch TV at Brandon Marshalls house he should be alright. He passed his piss test, and his freind had a minute amount of coke.

Ziggy
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM

I'd love to see a DT rotation of Laws, Robertson, and Thomas, but I'm a big fan of Conner. I could live with either in the 2nd.

haroldthebarrel
04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd love to see a DT rotation of Laws, Robertson, and Thomas, but I'm a big fan of Conner. I could live with either in the 2nd.

dan connor in the second is in my opinion a steal anyway in that in three years when the draft is revised barring injury he will be picked way higher. I like him as much as I like that Tennesee dude..... perhaps more.

Just like Pozlovny really played well the first few games for buffalo. His fellow teammate is as safe a pick as one can get.
Cherilus would also be a pick Id have no issues with.

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
dan connor in the second is in my opinion a steal anyway in that in three years when the draft is revised barring injury he will be picked way higher. I like him as much as I like that Tennesee dude..... perhaps more.

Just like Pozlovny really played well the first few games for buffalo. His fellow teammate is as safe a pick as one can get.
Cherilus would also be a pick Id have no issues with.

Connor seems to really be on the slide right now after Mayo's and Lofton's workouts. I can argue that Mayo and Lofton are gamers, but as you mentioned, Connor would hold great value with our 2nd rounder. I doubt he slides this far, but it isn't looking out of the question. There would be some luck involved if he were to slide to us, that is for sure. Same could be said for guys like Kenny Phillips and Cherilus.

Ziggy
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Connor seems to really be on the slide right now after Mayo's and Lofton's workouts. I can argue that Mayo and Lofton are gamers, but as you mentioned, Connor would hold great value with our 2nd rounder. I doubt he slides this far, but it isn't looking out of the question. There would be some luck involved if he were to slide to us, that is for sure. Same could be said for guys like Kenny Phillips and Cherilus.

If Phillips slid to our pick in the 2nd, I'd be doing cartwheels. If we took him with the 12th pick, I might have to buy a new TV.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
There seems to be a general consensus that since these players have been mentioned or brought in, we won't draft them. Enough of the conspiracy theories. SoCal on the Mane put that conspiracy theory to rest a few days ago.

haroldthebarrel
04-17-2008, 10:53 AM
There seems to be a general consensus that since these players have been mentioned or brought in, we won't draft them. Enough of the conspiracy theories. SoCal on the Mane put that conspiracy theory to rest a few days ago.

Thats true. I read that post as well. The other thing is that Goodman seems to be more of a straight forward dude and shows off who he likes in order to get the better profile instead of Sundquist who lived on smoke and mirrors.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
The Broncos aren't in a real position to be secretive this year. It's generally known what their needs are, and there are a lot of teams with the same needs. Sure, Denver hasn't been present at a lot of big Pro Days; but I think bringing in these top prospects is a sign of the direction in which we may go. I think all those involved (higher ups) know how serious this draft is; so they're bringing in top prospects at need (or relative need) positions and adjusting their boards due in part.

I think this is a good thing. It's a more practical practice to evaluation that while used in the past, seemed to be for all the wrong reasons instead of the right ones. JMHO.

underrated29
04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I am not on the mane but i love to hear what socal, kaylore, wabbit have to say. Mind filling us ina little?

I would say though, that we probably will take one or two of those players. It pretty much looks like we know who will go top 10 and buffalo doesnt have many of the same needs as us. So why not bring some guys in to get a better look.

I still think we would go after stewart first, before mendy.

lex
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
The Broncos aren't in a real position to be secretive this year. It's generally known what their needs are, and there are a lot of teams with the same needs. Sure, Denver hasn't been present at a lot of big Pro Days; but I think bringing in these top prospects is a sign of the direction in which we may go. I think all those involved (higher ups) know how serious this draft is; so they're bringing in top prospects at need (or relative need) positions and adjusting their boards due in part.

I think this is a good thing. It's a more practical practice to evaluation that while used in the past, seemed to be for all the wrong reasons instead of the right ones. JMHO.

Did we bring in Harrell last year? I ask because I remember Denver being somewhat surprised that Green Bay took him. Also, a lot of this stuff is myth. When you look at 2 years ago we made a massive move up the board to get Jay. 1) we had no reason to expect that we could do this and 2) the only way to pull it off would have been to wait to do it on draft day so other teams couldnt position themselves. But again, that was as a result of a massive move up. Here, were talking about players that could very well be available at where we pick (although less so Cherilus if we want him at 42). Because of this, its apples and oranges. Theres really no need to be covert about drafting Mendenhall if thats how they are leaning.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure if we brought in Harrell last year; but I was almost confident he'd be our pick (and was my final pick for us in my final draft) -- but then again, it was a dead understanding we needed a DT -- much like we do OT this year; so it wasn't really a hard pick to make. Heck, we probably brought in a lot of players but it probably didn't get reported. Obviously, Thomas was brought in for a meeting to lay out his problems, and as SoCal had stated, Scheffler, etc. -- so I don't really get why people say, "Oh we're not drafting him because we brought him in."

There's a 1 and how ever many hundreds if not thousands of chance for us to select a certain player. It's easy for people to say "Well, we brought him in - and guess what, the draft passed and we didn't take the guy when we had the chance." -- but that involves quite a bit of short-sightedness.

I have no doubts that the Broncos are interested in guys like Williams, Cherilus and Mendenhall. I think outside Cherilus -- both would be great selections at #12; and it's quite possible Cherilus would be targeted in a trade down. (I don't think he lasts until #42; not with how many teams need a tackle.) All and all, we've brought in a few guys who make sense.

We've spent most of the off-season (outside our signings of Jackson, Colbert and Parker) shoring up our safety and linebacker positions -- and now I think we'll see a major focus on the offensive side of the ball in the draft. Cutler will only get better on offense with better players around him. There's still a week and change to go to the draft, but I'm confident that Denver will end up getting an offensive tackle and make their pick of a great stable of young backs in this years draft class fairly early.

The only exception IMHO would be if we didn't get Robertson; which forces the hand of Denver to get a tackle early.

Right now, I'm feeling OL/RB with our first and second. I still think linebacker will be drafted fairly early as well for insurance to guard against DJ's possible departure (not saying he will, but it's always possible) and to bring some more depth in to challenge. Linebacker is a special teams position, and a position where even mid-round rookies can come in and play right away -- so I expect that.

Heck, even with these signings -- we could still use help at all those positions. Outside cornerback, defensive end and quarterback -- I think almost every position on the team can be upgraded. I don't know who we'll draft; but I just hope that we get solid value for our selections and end up taking real football players instead of the boom or bust types we've been used to in the past with earlier selections.

lex
04-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure if we brought in Harrell last year; but I was almost confident he'd be our pick (and was my final pick for us in my final draft) -- but then again, it was a dead understanding we needed a DT -- much like we do OT this year; so it wasn't really a hard pick to make. Heck, we probably brought in a lot of players but it probably didn't get reported. Obviously, Thomas was brought in for a meeting to lay out his problems, and as SoCal had stated, Scheffler, etc. -- so I don't really get why people say, "Oh we're not drafting him because we brought him in."

There's a 1 and how ever many hundreds if not thousands of chance for us to select a certain player. It's easy for people to say "Well, we brought him in - and guess what, the draft passed and we didn't take the guy when we had the chance." -- but that involves quite a bit of short-sightedness.

I have no doubts that the Broncos are interested in guys like Williams, Cherilus and Mendenhall. I think outside Cherilus -- both would be great selections at #12; and it's quite possible Cherilus would be targeted in a trade down. (I don't think he lasts until #42; not with how many teams need a tackle.) All and all, we've brought in a few guys who make sense.

We've spent most of the off-season (outside our signings of Jackson, Colbert and Parker) shoring up our safety and linebacker positions -- and now I think we'll see a major focus on the offensive side of the ball in the draft. Cutler will only get better on offense with better players around him. There's still a week and change to go to the draft, but I'm confident that Denver will end up getting an offensive tackle and make their pick of a great stable of young backs in this years draft class fairly early.

The only exception IMHO would be if we didn't get Robertson; which forces the hand of Denver to get a tackle early.

Right now, I'm feeling OL/RB with our first and second. I still think linebacker will be drafted fairly early as well for insurance to guard against DJ's possible departure (not saying he will, but it's always possible) and to bring some more depth in to challenge. Linebacker is a special teams position, and a position where even mid-round rookies can come in and play right away -- so I expect that.

Heck, even with these signings -- we could still use help at all those positions. Outside cornerback, defensive end and quarterback -- I think almost every position on the team can be upgraded. I don't know who we'll draft; but I just hope that we get solid value for our selections and end up taking real football players instead of the boom or bust types we've been used to in the past with earlier selections.

Until they announce the Robertson trade as final, Im assuming that we're trading up either in the 1st or 2nd.

Stargazer
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I hate posting DP stories because everyone probably reads them on there own.

I hardly ever do, thanks for the post.:D

SmilinAssasSin27
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
My pants got tighter when I saw Phillips is an option.

WARHORSE
04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Id be good with either Mendenhall or The Cherub. Both are exceptional athletes and players.

The Cherub impressed me with his pass set footwork that I saw. Very impressive. He also plays meaner than Williams, althought I think Williams will be looking to put that issue to rest. Gosder is huge, mean and athletic.......whats not to like?

BOSSHOGG30
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Gosder would be a huge reach at 12, but I do like him... would like to trade back and get him if we can.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Cherilus was impressive his first several years at BC; this past year he was meh. I like him, but he's definitely not a LT.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Cherilius projects as a right tackle, possibly a guard in the NFL. He's not LT material because he's not a great pass protector. He is, however, among the best run blockers in the draft.

That said, this type of player rarely gets drafted in round 1. Given the money that McKinney, Dockery, Fanacea, Kendall, Jansen, Davis and Hutchinson have been paid, that may be changing.

I like Cherilus, but I'd want him for a good value. At #42, he's a great pickup. At #20, he's a stretch. His perfect value is probably somewhere in between. I don't believe he'll be selected in round 1.

San Francisco and San Diego are definitely sitting at the bottom of round 1 with a big need at tackle. This is why I think Cherilius has been catapulted into the first round on a lot of draft boards: analysts always assume teams will draft their most glaring need in round 1, if possible. I think there is a tendency for this to happen, but I don't think that many teams will reach for a second round talent with a first round pick based purely on need.

In round 2, however, Cherilus won't last long with KC, San Fran, Baltimore, and Miami all having picks ahead of us. I don't think he's in the cards.

WARHORSE
04-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, for everyone who knows that a great part of our redzone problems stems from being overpowered by goaline packages, Gosder would certainly help shore up that problem. Definitely a road grader. However, as a pass protector, his play in the past has said his run blocking is better. But that doesnt mean he cant pass protect, and we all know he has the athletic ability from watching his combine workouts. So coaching and scheme is going to help determine alot of his success as well.

Oh. Thats right..........we actually desire tackles like him. As I stated before, in Denver, the OTs are helped by a dominant run game when we're kickin on all cylinders. This is a very good OT prospect.

I think Denver takes Mendenhall.(If we pick at 12)

Then possibly trades back into the first for Cherilous, Williams or Clady, should one of them fall within our reach.

That not only gives us great depth at Oline, but also allows us the possibility of a dominant Oline that we all desire........should Harris, Kuper, Cherilous(or others) pan out.

.....just one of many, many possibilities on draft day.:confused:

Denver also brought Clady in for a look per Rockymountainnews.

lex
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Cherilius projects as a right tackle, possibly a guard in the NFL. He's not LT material because he's not a great pass protector. He is, however, among the best run blockers in the draft.

That said, this type of player rarely gets drafted in round 1. Given the money that McKinney, Dockery, Fanacea, Kendall, Jansen, Davis and Hutchinson have been paid, that may be changing.

I like Cherilus, but I'd want him for a good value. At #42, he's a great pickup. At #20, he's a stretch. His perfect value is probably somewhere in between. I don't believe he'll be selected in round 1.

San Francisco and San Diego are definitely sitting at the bottom of round 1 with a big need at tackle. This is why I think Cherilius has been catapulted into the first round on a lot of draft boards: analysts always assume teams will draft their most glaring need in round 1, if possible. I think there is a tendency for this to happen, but I don't think that many teams will reach for a second round talent with a first round pick based purely on need.

In round 2, however, Cherilus won't last long with KC, San Fran, Baltimore, and Miami all having picks ahead of us. I don't think he's in the cards.

That Robertson trade might involve moving up in the 2nd on draft day...perhaps to nab Cherilus if he is available.

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Denver also brought Clady in for a look per Rockymountainnews.

but he never made it because he couldn't read his ticket and got on the wrong plane.:D:laugh:

BOSSHOGG30
04-18-2008, 10:17 AM
From RMN:

Clady, whom the Broncos recently brought to their Dove Valley complex for a visit, is likely a top-10 pick. But because he has played in a pass-happy spread -- even his run blocks often came out of a two-point stance -- teams are trying to decide how he will look firing out at the point of attack in the run game.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
my concerns on cherilus is if he can transition to lt or not. if ryan harris becomes the starter at lt in camp then cherilus would be solid at rt for years. maybe trade up in the second for a player and our 2nd??? i have no clue on what we will do at lt right now. as for mendenhall....i wouldnt complain if we took him at 12.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I can't believe people think we should get a RB in the first round. We won't get any better until we improve on the offensive and defensive lines so if we don't draft a lineman in the first round, I will consider this draft a failure. If we get a RB in the first round, throw my remote through the TV screen.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't believe people think we should get a RB in the first round. We won't get any better until we improve on the offensive and defensive lines so if we don't draft a lineman in the first round, I will consider this draft a failure. If we get a RB in the first round, throw my remote through the TV screen.

thats only if ellis, dorsey,clady isnt there at 12. the broncos need the mindset of drafting the bpa this year.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
From RMN:

Clady, whom the Broncos recently brought to their Dove Valley complex for a visit, is likely a top-10 pick. But because he has played in a pass-happy spread -- even his run blocks often came out of a two-point stance -- teams are trying to decide how he will look firing out at the point of attack in the run game.

if clady is picked at 10 then someones got to fall...i say we sit tight at 12. ellis, both longs, run dmc and dorsey will all be gone by the time we pick. i think clady will be there.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
if clady is picked at 10 then someones got to fall...i say we sit tight at 12. ellis, both longs, run dmc and dorsey will all be gone by the time we pick. i think clady will be there.

I hope not, but I agree, he will be there and he will be there for a reason.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:18 PM
thats only if ellis, dorsey,clady isnt there at 12. the broncos need the mindset of drafting the bpa this year.

I HATE the mindset of getting the best player available. I support the strategy of filling a need. The only way I would forgo filling a need to get the BPA would be if there was a can't miss player at our spot like McFadden or Dorsey. (Although Dorsey is at a need position, just using him as an example). This is a VERY deep class for RBs and I think it would be foolish to get one in the 1st. Clady, Otah, or Williams should be there at 12 and we should pick 1 of those 3, unless Dorsey fell to us which would make me wet all over myself.

lex
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
my concerns on cherilus is if he can transition to lt or not. if ryan harris becomes the starter at lt in camp then cherilus would be solid at rt for years. maybe trade up in the second for a player and our 2nd??? i have no clue on what we will do at lt right now. as for mendenhall....i wouldnt complain if we took him at 12.

I can see Kuper playing RT if Harris is at LT and switch Cherilus to OG.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Cherilus will be an excellent Tackle... Denver better not move a natural and atheltic tackle to guard and move a guard to tackle.

Nalen will retire and Hamilton will be our center in the near future, unless Hamilton gets injuried again. Kuper has to project as our future LG. Denver really needs a RT for the future.

underrated29
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM

None of the OL are going to be head and shoulders above the guys we have now, nor are they head and shoulders above guys we could find in the second or third.

None of the DL guys are worth our place at 12. And the dropoff from them to the 2nd is not large either.

Runningback however is. So we can take a rb inthe 1st and get a dt/ol in 2, and then get a dt/ol in 3 (if we trade back in) or 4 for a guy like okam etc.

I think you might be disappointed with the draft and your tv.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM

can cherilus even play guard?

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
None of the OL are going to be head and shoulders above the guys we have now, nor are they head and shoulders above guys we could find in the second or third.

None of the DL guys are worth our place at 12. And the dropoff from them to the 2nd is not large either.

Runningback however is. So we can take a rb inthe 1st and get a dt/ol in 2, and then get a dt/ol in 3 (if we trade back in) or 4 for a guy like okam etc.

I think you might be disappointed with the draft and your tv.

lol....good stuff

I think he will want a new TV when he is reading in the papers or looking at the box scores on the computer that Stewart/Mendenhall/McFadden are tearing it up in the Broncos system every week.

lex
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
can cherilus even play guard?

Im fairly sure he can, Im not certain he has. OT is the more difficult position to play and his strength is easily run blocking...and he can stand to use help on either side in pass blocking. Cherilus can really lock onto his guy at the second level...and not just LBs either...he does an excellent job of fitting on DBs, which is impressive for a 300 lb lineman. Either way though, Kuper has played OG and gives us the flexibility to tinker.

lex
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Cherilus will be an excellent Tackle... Denver better not move a natural and atheltic tackle to guard and move a guard to tackle.

Nalen will retire and Hamilton will be our center in the near future, unless Hamilton gets injuried again. Kuper has to project as our future LG. Denver really needs a RT for the future.

Did you not see Kupers agility stats? Theyre quite good. Meanwhile, Cherilus struggles in pass blocking. I wouldnt say Cherilus is more athletic than Kuper but I definitely think he is meaner and more of a road-grater.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Im fairly sure he can, Im not certain he has. OT is the more difficult position to play and his strength is easily run blocking...and he can stand to use help on either side in pass blocking. Cherilus can really lock onto his guy at the second level...and not just LBs either...he does an excellent job of fitting on DBs, which is impressive for a 300 lb lineman. Either way though, Kuper has played OG and gives us the flexibility to tinker.

You don't draft a OT that high to move him to OG. If we wanted a OG we would draft a OG. Cherilus is too good of a tackle to move to guard, especially when we need a OT.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
lol....good stuff

I think he will want a new TV when he is reading in the papers or looking at the box scores on the computer that Stewart/Mendenhall/McFadden are tearing it up in the Broncos system every week.

No one is going to be tearing it up in our system until we get some offensive linemen who can play. Sorry, but it's the truth. The draft is so deep at RB this season it's not even funny. We could easily find a quality back in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
No one is going to be tearing it up in our system until we get some offensive linemen who can play. Sorry, but it's the truth. The draft is so deep at RB this season it's not even funny. We could easily find a quality back in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

agreed....i think boss doesnt realize the importance of our o-line. not only does this help open holes (which we had none last year) for the rb but this provides valuable valuable protection for cutlers blind side. this worked very well for the browns last year. derek had all kinds of time and finally made edwards and k2 look like pro bowlers.

sorry boss but as i see it..... clady in the 1st > rb in the 1st

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM

That's funny because this same OL allowed two undrafted free agents and a washed, up injury prone running back run pretty good last year.

9th overall rushing attack for 122.3 yards per game.

Must of been the pure talent of two undrafted free agents and a 30 year old running back......right.....why give the O-line any credit for that even though they were a bunch of young guys filling in for Lepsis, Hamilton, and Nalen.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
You don't draft a OT that high to move him to OG. If we wanted a OG we would draft a OG. Cherilus is too good of a tackle to move to guard, especially when we need a OT.

my thoughts as well but if he can also play og that makes him even more worth it. if he is there in the 2nd then he is a must if we havnt already picked an ot.

BroncoWave
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
That's funny because this same OL allowed two undrafted free agents and a washed, up injury prone running back run pretty good last year.

9th overall rushing attack for 122.3 yards per game.

Must of been the pure talent of two undrafted free agents and a 30 year old running back......right.....why give the O-line any credit for that even though they were a bunch of young guys filling in for Lepsis, Hamilton, and Nalen.

Travis Henry is a more than capable back when healthy. And personally, I'd rather draft an OL who will PROTECT Jay Cutler because the ones we had last season sucked at it. I would sacrifice some rushing yards if it meant that Cutler had more than 2 or 3 seconds before he had a guy right in his face.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
agreed....i think boss doesnt realize the importance of our o-line. not only does this help open holes (which we had none last year) for the rb but this provides valuable valuable protection for cutlers blind side. this worked very well for the browns last year. frye had all kinds of time and finally made edwards and k2 look like pro bowlers.

sorry boss but as i see it..... clady in the 1st > rb in the 1st

No, boss understands the importance of an O-line...see boss' mock in his sig.

Boss thinks you under estimate how young and talented the guys we already have on the offensive line are.

Boss saw that no matter who came into the game, when they were healthy the holes were there. He saw the Broncos finish 9th overall in rushing offenses. He also didn't see a 1,000 yard back for the 1st time in a long time. Funny how the total offense finished in the top 10, yet we didn't have one 1,000 yard back.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Travis Henry is a more than capable back when healthy. And personally, I'd rather draft an OL who will PROTECT Jay Cutler because the ones we had last season sucked at it. I would sacrifice some rushing yards if it meant that Cutler had more than 2 or 3 seconds before he had a guy right in his face.

Henry is more than capable back when healthy......healthy is the key word.

No one will argue that Henry isn't a good or even above average back when healthy.................

ONE PROBLEM.........7 seasons in the NFL......Henry has yet to prove he can stay healthy.

So, at 30 years old, the age of when history tells us that runningbacks, especially power backs usually start the decline of their careers, you expect Henry to stay healthy?

I don't think so!

MHCBill
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
agreed....i think boss doesnt realize the importance of our o-line. not only does this help open holes (which we had none last year) for the rb but this provides valuable valuable protection for cutlers blind side. this worked very well for the browns last year. frye had all kinds of time and finally made edwards and k2 look like pro bowlers.

sorry boss but as i see it..... clady in the 1st > rb in the 1stNot only is your argument wrong, Derek Anderson was throwing those balls, not Frye.

You lose instant credibility when you pop-off with wrong facts.

The oline is fine. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Give it another year to grow.

Get JStew round one and have our offensive skill players lined up for the next 5-7 years.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Boss thinks you under estimate how young and talented the guys we already have on the offensive line are.

Boss saw that no matter who came into the game, when they were healthy the holes were there. He saw the Broncos finish 9th overall in rushing offenses. He also didn't see a 1,000 yard back for the 1st time in a long time. Funny how the total offense finished in the top 10, yet we didn't have one 1,000 yard back.

its funny how cutler was scrambling all around the place last year and its really funny how we couldnt run out the clock because our rbs couldnt find a hole to run through.

lex
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Well, whatever the case, I think Kupers numbers are too good to ignore. I think its a waste to not look at him at tackle. If Kuper wasnt from Alaska and had he played at a more known school, he'd have been drafted a lot higher based on those numbers. I would be cool with Kuper at LT and Cherilus at RT...that would mean Hamilton and Nalen would need to come through though on the interior.

MHCBill
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Boss saw that no matter who came into the game, when they were healthy the holes were there. He saw the Broncos finish 9th overall in rushing offenses. He also didn't see a 1,000 yard back for the 1st time in a long time. Funny how the total offense finished in the top 10, yet we didn't have one 1,000 yard back.I enjoy reading your posts referring to yourself.

Very entertaining.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Not only is your argument wrong, Derek Anderson was throwing those balls, not Frye.

You lose instant credibility when you pop-off with wrong facts.
The oline is fine. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Give it another year to grow.

Get JStew round one and have our offensive skill players lined up for the next 5-7 years.

i meant derek smart ass.

and NO our offensive line is NOT ok!

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
its funny how cutler was scrambling all around the place last year and its really funny how we couldnt run out the clock because our rbs couldnt find a hole to run through.

It's funny how that if you see Cutler running around you automatically blame the offensive line.

1) Culter needs to learn to throw it short sometimes. He is always holding on the ball till the very last second trying to get the big play.

this is good and bad.... you have to understand that this will result in Cutler getting hit more than some QB's and it will also result in some big plays that other QB's won't typically get.

2) RB's play a very important role in QB protection and pressure. Our backs didn't do a very good job in pass protection or taking over the game to take some of that pressure off of Culter.

3) The score plays an important part in how the opposing defense attacks. Denver found themselves down by quite a bit of points in a few games this year. When you have a big lead, your defense can pin its ears back and attack.

4) Field position plays a big role. Denver was one of the worst if not the worst in starting field position. Defenses again can pin their ears back and attack knowing that they have plenty of field to cover before the offense becomes any type of scoring threat

5) We lost 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen last year.

6) Play calling wasn't always great

7) Cutler needs to learn when to audible and take advantage of the oppossing defense. He rarely audibled into another offense. This will come with experience.

Yet......despite all these things......We finished 11th overall in total offense and 9th in rushing.

If you want to bitch about the offense......it wasn't the o-line..... it was turnovers, bad play calling in the red zone, poor decisions, injuries, and just horrible red zone play. The offense moved the ball quite well last year, but poofed out once they hit the red zone.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
It's funny how that if you see Cutler running around you automatically blame the offensive line.

2) RB's play a very important role in QB protection and pressure. Our backs didn't do a very good job in pass protection or taking over the game to take some of that pressure off of Culter.

This is among the biggest reasons why I think its time for Denver to draft an elite talent at the RB position. Jake Plummer's mobility (and the fact that he had to leave the pocket to complete a pass) made all the non-rushing things great running backs do kind of useless. With Cutler under center, its clear that Denver needs a guy who can hold ground against a blitzing LB or Safety and cut them to the ground. I think Shanahan knew this last year and thought he'd found a solution in Henry. That experiment failed and its time to find a guy who can protect Cutler for 5 or 6 years.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
This is among the biggest reasons why I think its time for Denver to draft an elite talent at the RB position. Jake Plummer's mobility (and the fact that he had to leave the pocket to complete a pass) made all the non-rushing things great running backs do kind of useless. With Cutler under center, its clear that Denver needs a guy who can hold ground against a blitzing LB or Safety and cut them to the ground. I think Shanahan knew this last year and thought he'd found a solution in Henry. That experiment failed and its time to find a guy who can protect Cutler for 5 or 6 years.

Not to mention we play the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs, who all have great blitzing linebackers and run a lot of stunts and safety blitzes.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Cory Boyd! (http://www.youtube.com/v/9LiSmRgRgDM&hl=en)

4th rounder?

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Cory Boyd! (http://www.youtube.com/v/9LiSmRgRgDM&hl=en)

4th rounder?

no thanks... lets stay away from troubled players for at least one year to off set the ones we already have.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Boyd's recruiting story on his road to South Carolina is really interesting. I'd of hate to have been the ******* who recruited him.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
no thanks... lets stay away from troubled players for at least one year to off set the ones we already have.

I wish I knew the nature of his suspension in 2005. If it weren't confidential, we might discover that Boyd had some maturity issues. For a guy whose mother is in prison and whose lost his brother and girlfriend via homocide, I'm sure adjustment to college life was no walk in the park. He's had a lot of problems with his grades. From what I can infer, that's been the root of his struggles in college.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I wish I knew the nature of his suspension in 2005. If it weren't confidential, we might discover that Boyd had some maturity issues. For a guy whose mother is in prison and whose lost his brother and girlfriend via homocide, I'm sure adjustment to college life was no walk in the park. He's had a lot of problems with his grades. From what I can infer, that's been the root of his struggles in college.

No doubts he is a good player... no doubts you want to feel for the guy and cheer him on to a happy life... but he is a risk and a risk I do not want to take......not with this draft class. Boyd is probably a 4th or 5th rounder....we could get Ellis out of Ole Miss who is just as good if not better.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
No doubts he is a good player... no doubts you want to feel for the guy and cheer him on to a happy life... but he is a risk and a risk I do not want to take......not with this draft class. Boyd is probably a 4th or 5th rounder....we could get Ellis out of Ole Miss who is just as good if not better.

Only Ellis has no hands, he's a terrible pass blocker, and he lacks the speed and elusiveness to work outside the tackle. This guy smells like a pure short yardage back to me.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Only Ellis has no hands, he's a terrible pass blocker, and he lacks the speed and elusiveness to work outside the tackle. This guy smells like a pure short yardage back to me.

My opinion differs, big time. Ellis is one of the best pass blocking RB's in the entire draft. He excels at pass blocking.

Also his pro day he ran a 4.55 which isn't bad for his size.

NFL | Green-Ellis works out at Pro Day
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:27:45 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports University of Mississippi RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis worked out at his school's Pro Day Wednesday, March 19. Green-Ellis ran a 4.55 40-yard dash, had a 34-inch vertical jump, a nine-foot, eight-inch long jump, a 4.50-second short shuttle and a 7.56-second cone drill. He measured in at 5-foot-10 1/8 and 219 pounds.

Sure he doesn't have break away speed or we would be talking 1st or 2nd rounder here. He is a big back who can move the pile, excellent blocker, and runs between the tackles very well. He has very good quickness and will be a durable workhorse and a secure ball handler.... Dude knows how to hold on the football.

I do agree that he struggles with catching the football. But you can't show me a RB prospect that doesn't have flaws when you start looking at prospects in the later part of the draft... this is afterall the reason they are falling down the draft charts.

lex
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
When I saw this, BJGE was the first guy I thought of. The best thing with him is, we may not even need to draft him.

Skinny
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Boyd's recruiting story on his road to South Carolina is really interesting. I'd of hate to have been the ******* who recruited him.He's currently the head coach of the east carolina. I guess you can throw in pops too.

r8rh8r
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
My opinion differs, big time. Ellis is one of the best pass blocking RB's in the entire draft. He excels at pass blocking.

Also his pro day he ran a 4.55 which isn't bad for his size.

NFL | Green-Ellis works out at Pro Day
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:27:45 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports University of Mississippi RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis worked out at his school's Pro Day Wednesday, March 19. Green-Ellis ran a 4.55 40-yard dash, had a 34-inch vertical jump, a nine-foot, eight-inch long jump, a 4.50-second short shuttle and a 7.56-second cone drill. He measured in at 5-foot-10 1/8 and 219 pounds.

Sure he doesn't have break away speed or we would be talking 1st or 2nd rounder here. He is a big back who can move the pile, excellent blocker, and runs between the tackles very well. He has very good quickness and will be a durable workhorse and a secure ball handler.... Dude knows how to hold on the football.

I do agree that he struggles with catching the football. But you can't show me a RB prospect that doesn't have flaws when you start looking at prospects in the later part of the draft... this is afterall the reason they are falling down the draft charts.

Speed and acceleration aren't the same thing. You can be a quick player without having a second gear. Conversely, you can have a second gear but have no quickness. To turn the corner, you need acceleration but not necessarily elite speed.

It sounds like you've seen a lot more film on Green-Ellis than I have, but everything I've read about the guy says he's a terrible pass blocker.

Bad hands I can live with, but its difficult if not impossible to play RB in Denver's scheme if you don't have the acceleration to exploit a seam or beat an NFL linebacker/end around the corner.

DenBronx
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM

no, im not putting all the blame on the offensive line but id rather see cutlers confidence build. we just need to bite the bullet now and get him some protection. everything else can wait but id rather cutler have all day long to throw it. this will help him read the long and short routes better. our guys got blown off the ball most of the time last year.

im also thinking that we severly need a solid blocking fullback.

omac
04-22-2008, 07:42 PM

1) Culter needs to learn to throw it short sometimes. He is always holding on the ball till the very last second trying to get the big play.

Not really; he actually has a pretty good knack of getting rid of the ball pretty fast. There was a Pittsburgh article that timed how fast he got rid of the ball after the snap; it was an article after we beat the Steelers, and their fans were wondering why they couldn't get to Cutler in time. There will be times when Cutler's looking for the big play, but a lot of the time, he's throwing fast timing patterns to his #1, because the line doesn't usually afford him the time to look at his options.

I do blame the line, but not for lack of effort. Being asked to suddenly start and take over because of injuries, then being expected not just to run block but to pass block, and do it as one cohesive unit, even when some are playing out of possition is asking a whole lot. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they're remarkably better this season with the experience under fire they got.

But yeah, I do blame the line. Under those circumstances though, I think they could've been much much worse.