PDA

View Full Version : Broncos stocking up on wide receivers

claymore
04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Broncos stocking up on wide receivers
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/15/2008 11:30:59 PM MDT

Possible Bronco Darrell Jackson, top, celebrates a touchdown in December. (Jim Gensheimer, San Jose Mercury News )Whatever depth problems the Broncos may have at kicker, or punter, or defensive tackle, or offensive tackle, they are compensating for at receiver.

Brian Mooney, the agent for Darrell Jackson, was in town Tuesday to finalize a contract that would add still another receiver with a considerable NFL pedigree to the Broncos' roster. A deal for Jackson is expected to be finalized today.

With 487 career receptions and 50 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons, Jackson, 29, will compete with Keary Colbert, whom the Broncos culled from the free-agent market last month with a $7.2 million contract, at No. 2 receiver.

Besides Jackson, the Broncos also signed former Kansas City Chiefs receiver Samie Parker this week to a one-year deal.

Mendenhall, Cherilus to visit.

Two highly touted prospects — Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Boston College left tackle Gosder Cherilus — will visit the Broncos this week.

Now it can be told.

The only Broncos player remaining from their 2004 draft is first-round pick D.J. Williams, who is converting from middle to weakside linebacker this year after converting from strongside to the middle last year and from weakside to strongside following his rookie season.

"I haven't been happy about the movement, but I like the organization, I like the city," Williams said. "I love how Coach Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically. The offseason program, everybody around the facility, I like everybody. I understand why I had to move; it made the team better."

Williams told a humorous story about his draft day experience. The New Orleans Saints had called to say they were taking him at No. 18.

Williams was ecstatic. He would be reunited with his good friend, Saints receiver Donte Stallworth, and he was excited about playing in New Orleans.

And then the Broncos traded up from the No. 24 spot to No. 17. He was on the phone with the Saints when his agent Mitch Frankel said the Broncos wanted to talk.

"I said I'll talk to them later," Williams said. "He says, 'No, they want to talk to you.' I see my name go across the ticker: 17th pick, Denver selects D.J. Williams.

"At the combine, they didn't speak to me, didn't do any interviews, so I was shocked. I think I talked to Ted Sund quist, and he says, 'How would you like to be a Denver Bronco?' I look at my agent and say, 'Can I say no?' "

Turns out, Williams wasn't aware John Mobley had suffered a career-ending injury, Ian Gold would not be re-signed and Al Wilson needed new partners.

"I thought they brought me in and they have three Pro Bowl guys and they want me to play special teams," Williams said.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8938686

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Great read, especially this part.

The only Broncos player remaining from their 2004 draft is first-round pick D.J. Williams, who is converting from middle to weakside linebacker this year after converting from strongside to the middle last year and from weakside to strongside following his rookie season.

"I haven't been happy about the movement, but I like the organization, I like the city," Williams said. "I love how Coach Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically. The offseason program, everybody around the facility, I like everybody. I understand why I had to move; it made the team better."

Williams told a humorous story about his draft day experience. The New Orleans Saints had called to say they were taking him at No. 18.

Williams was ecstatic. He would be reunited with his good friend, Saints receiver Donte Stallworth, and he was excited about playing in New Orleans.

And then the Broncos traded up from the No. 24 spot to No. 17. He was on the phone with the Saints when his agent Mitch Frankel said the Broncos wanted to talk.

"I said I'll talk to them later," Williams said. "He says, 'No, they want to talk to you.' I see my name go across the ticker: 17th pick, Denver selects D.J. Williams.

"At the combine, they didn't speak to me, didn't do any interviews, so I was shocked. I think I talked to Ted Sund quist, and he says, 'How would you like to be a Denver Bronco?' I look at my agent and say, 'Can I say no?' "

Turns out, Williams wasn't aware John Mobley had suffered a career-ending injury, Ian Gold would not be re-signed and Al Wilson needed new partners.

"I thought they brought me in and they have three Pro Bowl guys and they want me to play special teams," Williams said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8938686

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Mendenhall, Cherilus to visit.

Two highly touted prospects — Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Boston College left tackle Gosder Cherilus — will visit the Broncos this week.

I like this part the best.

claymore
04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I like this part the best.Me too, exept I think that means we wont draft those guys.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
probably...maybe that means we will draft Stewart :)

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Good move to bring in veteran wide receivers with some years left in them to compete in training camp and preseason. I haven't seen the numbers on the Jackson contract but I'm hoping that they are similar to Parker's (40,000 signing bonus, minimum salary). If so, then even if they don't make it, it's only an $80,000 hit to the cap. Very low risk, possible high reward.

claymore
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Good move to bring in veteran wide receivers with some years left in them to compete in training camp and preseason. I haven't seen the numbers on the Jackson contract but I'm hoping that they are similar to Parker's (40,000 signing bonus, minimum salary). If so, then even if they don't make it, it's only an $80,000 hit to the cap. Very low risk, possible high reward.I hope its a one year deal....... If he's good, great re-sign.......... If not, screw him.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:28 AM
"I haven't been happy about the movement," Williams said.

So, when we find out Niko isn't the solution at MLB, does Williams get moved back?

CoachChaz
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM

So, when we find out Niko isn't the solution at MLB, does Williams get moved back?

Gotta be more optimistic. I think he'll be a solid MLB. He has the skills, but was stuck behind the best LB corps in the NFL. We'll be fine, but I see DJ moving on after the season. Which is why I see Denver drafting a LB real quick. JMO.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Wrong thread?

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 08:45 AM

I doubt it... they should give Kootie a chance and if he can't do it they might stick Beck, Webster, or a rookie in the mix if we go that route.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Wrong thread?

Its in the article.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Its in the article.

You'll have to excuse me. The memory is the second thing to go.

MOtorboat
04-16-2008, 09:23 AM

Kind of like how Shanahan always forgets which position DJ plays?

It's all good. :coffee:

Retired_Member_001
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Good point.

We haven't looked at him yet have we?

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Marshall, Stokely, Martinez, Taylor

or

Marshall, Jackson, Stokely, Parker

I think we did a pretty good upgrade at the reciever position this season. Not an amazing WR core, but better to say the least. At least we have some depth this year.

MHCBill
04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
DJ will be resigned much like Al Wilson was.

Kootie will be given a chance to be our MLB, but I'm very confident that the organization now knows that DJ will be the weak-side guy from here on out.

That position is now taken care of for the next five or so years.

Draft Lofton at #2 and have him compete with Kootie for the MLB job. If Kootie wins then Lofton can work on special teams and learn the ropes for a year.

Then Lofton starts at MLB next year and Kootie becomes our special teams captain.

Just follow the sig Dove Valley... I have it all taken care of.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Kootie will be given a chance to be our MLB, but I'm very confident that the organization now knows that DJ will be the weak-side guy from here on out.

Draft Lofton at #2 and have him compete with Kootie for the MLB job. If Kootie wins then Lofton can work on special teams and learn the ropes for a year.

Then Lofton starts at MLB next year and Kootie becomes our special teams captain.

I would rather stay away from a MLB this year and look to that position next year if Kootie doesn't work out. Next years MLB crop is very good. I think we would be smart using our 2nd rounder on something else this year. DT, WR, or OL would be ideal.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
How many wideouts do you think Shanny will keep this year? 5? 6?

Marshall
Jackson
Stokely
Parker
Martinez

That looks like the starting lineup to me right now.

MHCBill
04-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Where's Colbert?

They aint's cutting him I think.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Where's Colbert?

They aint's cutting him I think.

Forgot about him already. :D

Marshall
Jackson
Stokely
Colbert
Parker
Martinez

If we keep 6

Parker and Martinez will be fighting for a spot if we keep 5.

turftoad
04-16-2008, 11:48 AM

I would love to see us take Lofton in the second but I don't see him lasting.

He's one of my favorites in this years draft.

CoachChaz
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I would love to see us take Lofton in the second but I don't see him lasting.

He's one of my favorites in this years draft.

I don't know. I think he'll make it to us in round 2, but not much farther. Just speculation.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
How many wideouts do you think Shanny will keep this year? 5? 6?

Marshall
Jackson
Stokely
Parker
Martinez

That looks like the starting lineup to me right now.

Depends on who our returner is. If it's a WR, he'll keep an extra on the roster I think.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Marshall, Jackson, Stokley, Colbert, Parker, ROOKIE

Please.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Marshall, Jackson, Stokley, Colbert, Parker, ROOKIE

Please.

Didn't know you had Nate Jackson rated so highly... :D j/k... I just know how much you like Nate on the roster and I couldn't resist.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Not likely, especially not with the 1st rounder. We've got Travis Henry who I think will have an extra motivation to make things right for Coach Shanahan because the coach stuck by him all last season during his trouble with Roger Goodell. Travis Henry was super solid last year leading the league in yards the 1st 3-4 games til his fiasco then his injuries. Perhaps mixing in Young and Hall early and often will keep Henry fresh for the entire season.

The team will likely draft an OT, DT, LB, or CB with the 1st pick.

ChampWJ
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
The team will likely draft an OT, DT, LB, or CB with the 1st pick.

I disagree. I think the likelihood they take a CB in the first round is about the same as taking a QB in the first round. We have the best group of CB's in the NFL, and if they do pick a CB, it will be a mid to late round depth pick.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I think Foxworth is OK for a Nickel corner, but that's about it. I think the team needs another good CB almost as bad as they need a star safety. Don't forget we'll be facing Peyton Manning if we are to get close to the big show. Of course it's highly unlikely the Broncos will draft a CB with their 1st pick, that is why I have CB 4th on the list. I should have put Safety ahead of a Corner. OT, DT, LB or S, CB.

It is just speculation as everyone on this board have been speculating on who we'll draft 1st for 3-4 months now. It's the 16th of April, and I see that Mendenhall is scheduled to visit with the Coach but I think it's just a smoke screen as Travis Henry will have a monstrous year with Nalen and Hamilton back and healthy. I'm predicting a 2400-2500+ rushing yard season with Travis Henry getting the bulk of the pie.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
ugh...i hate when people say "well Henry led the league in rushing through the first 4 games".

Who give a flip? We played BUFFALO and OAKLAND in the first two games. We finally played a very good defense in game 3 and Henry had THIRTY FIVE YARDS. Indy was the only game he looked impressive in and most of his yards were in the first half and we had to settle for 2 red zone field goals instead of TD's because we couldnt punch it into the endzone...but even Young averaged 10 yards a carry on 8 carries, so that still leaves Henry's performance in question.

Four TDs is weak for a power runner...especially considering how many times we were in the redzone. He had almost as many fumbles as he did touchdowns. His longest run of the year was 33 yards. The fact that he missed half the season because of injury is all the more reason to draft a stud runner. Henry is not the answer for this team at RB.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
The Broncos will not use a 1st rounder on a RB, not even if we trade down to the 25th spot and Mendenhall or Stewart is still there. Never happened before and never will with Coach Shanny at the helm. We've got more pressing needs, like OT and DT.

The Broncos have struggled in the red zone the last 2 seasons, which is why we've missed the playoff back to back. And it's not the RBs fault, it's more the O-Line's fault cause of a lack of a push. Also does not help that the Broncos no longer have a legit threat down the middle like they used to with Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharp.

Jay C. has to get more than 20TDs passing in 2008 or opposing defenses will once again crowd the LOS on 1st, 2nd and goal on the 9.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
The Broncos will not use a 1st rounder on a RB, not even if we trade down to the 25th spot and Mendenhall or Stewart is still there. Never happened before and never will with Coach Shanny at the helm. We've got more pressing needs, like OT and DT.

The Broncos have struggled in the red zone the last 2 seasons, which is why we've missed the playoff back to back. And it's not the RBs fault, it's more the O-Line's fault cause of a lack of a push. Also does not help that the Broncos no longer have a legit threat down the middle like they used to with Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharp.
Jay C. has to get more than 20TDs passing in 2008 or opposing defenses will once again crowd the LOS on 1st, 2nd and goal on the 9.

We do need more of a push from the O-line. We also need better pass protection. In other words, we need a better O-line. I think Sheffler may become the legit threat over the middle. This year will be a make or break season for him. As of right now he is injury free, and the chemistry has always been there between Cutler and him.

I'd like to see us take a lineman in the 1st, but there is no guaruntee that Shanny won't use that pick on a RB. There are too many good ones at the top to middle of the draft. Remember, if the Broncos hadn't taken Cutler in the first in 06, Shanny said they would have taken Maroney.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
... Remember, if the Broncos hadn't taken Cutler in the first in 06, Shanny said they would have taken Maroney.

I don't know. Sounds to me like more smoke screens after the fact.

Kinda like Poker where you tell the guy who re-raised that you have pocket A's but you'll fold because you know he's made his flush when in fact, you were on a stone cold bluff.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
We have also never traded up for a QB with a veteran in place...

The last OT we took in the first was George Foster (bust) and arguably two of our current best young OL were taken in later rounds (Kuper and Harris). And not to dwell on the past, but Nalen was a 7th round pick and Lepsis was undrafted...I could go on with what Shany has done in the past.

Obviously our biggest need is DT, but there will not be a DT available at 12 that is worthy of a 12th pick. It would be dumb for us to reach for Kentwan Balmer at 12 no matter what our needs are. There probably wont be any Safety's taken in the first with the exception of Kenny Phillips and he is a very late first rounder at best. No way Shanny even thinks about a CB. He already has too much invested in the position to invest a 1st on one. I would be surprised if he drafted a CB at all...DEFINITELY not on day one.

That leaves us with OT, RB, WR. Any WR at 12 will be a reach this year. So, between OT and RB, RB would be the best value at 12. If we trade back from 12, then WR, DT, OT, and RB are all fair game although with all of our recent signings I dont think we will look WR on day one. If we do not trade back, I think Mendenhall or Stewart would be the best choice/value at #12.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
It's the 16th of April, and I see that Mendenhall is scheduled to visit with the Coach but I think it's just a smoke screen

Chris Williams is also scheduled for a visit. Does that mean we will not be drafting OT in the first?

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM

No way Shanny even thinks about a CB. He already has too much invested in the position to invest a 1st on one. I would be surprised if he drafted a CB at all...DEFINITELY not on day one.

That leaves us with OT, RB, WR. Any WR at 12 will be a reach this year. So, between OT and RB, RB would be the best value at 12. If we trade back from 12, then WR, DT, OT, and RB are all fair game although with all of our recent signings I dont think we will look WR on day one. If we do not trade back, I think Mendenhall or Stewart would be the best choice/value at #12.

But we're talking about Jay Cutler, the best QB that draft class. Some like myself is saying we drafted Elway II, but at #11, not #1.

I agree we will not draft a CB in the 1st, but I think we have a better chance at drafting a CB there in the 1st than we do a RB. Neither Mendenhall or Stewart has clout like Adrian Peterson did. McFadden carries that kind of clout but I really think that McFadden will be a bust. Just look at his leggs.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Chris Williams is also scheduled for a visit. Does that mean we will not be drafting OT in the first?

Irrelevant. But if I had to guess, I would say Jay Cutler made a personal request of Coach Shanny to at least take a look. I mean, if I were the Star QB and my buddy is a potential prospect whom I work well with, I would ask my boss to at least take a look.

D1g1tal j1m
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Jackson signed (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8947201)
It's official: Broncos sign WR Jackson
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/16/2008 02:42:28 PM MDT

The Wednesday afternoon snow in Denver didn't scare off Darrell Jackson.

One of the most productive NFL receivers of the past nine seasons, Jackson and the Broncos reached an agreement on a one-year deal Wednesday following a meeting with team officials at Dove Valley.

"There were three or four other teams interested in Darrell, but everything aligned perfectly for us with Denver," said Brian Mooney, Jackson's agent. "The Broncos gave us the best fit from the offense they run, the coaching staff they have and the opportunity he has both short-term and long-term. Darrell is planning on playing for a while."

With 487 career receptions and 50 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons, Jackson, 29, will compete with Keary Colbert for the No. 2 receiver spot. Other Broncos' receivers are Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley and Samie Parker.

Jackson's best years were with the Seattle Seahawks. He had 87 catches for 1,199 yards in 2004 and 63 catches with 10 touchdowns in 2006.

Traded to San Francisco last year, Jackson's production slipped to 46 receptions 497 yards as the 49ers encountered problems with a new offensive coordinator and injuries to quarterback Alex Smith.

"Just as the stars didn't align last year with all the injuries, it's just the opposite with Denver," Mooney said. "With Jay Cutler as the quarterback, I think the Broncos are going to be a fun team to watch.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
But we're talking about Jay Cutler, the best QB that draft class. Some like myself is saying we drafted Elway II, but at #11, not #1.

I agree we will not draft a CB in the 1st, but I think we have a better chance at drafting a CB there in the 1st than we do a RB. Neither Mendenhall or Stewart has clout like Adrian Peterson did. McFadden carries that kind of clout but I really think that McFadden will be a bust. Just look at his leggs.

Most draft reporters are saying both Mendenhall and Stewart will be better pros than Mcfadden.

Stewart would be the perfect fit in Denver. A cutback runner with good speed that can plow through the tackles but still make safeties miss. He would be an immediate help to our red zone offense and could grow up with Cutler, Marshall, Scheff, and our young Oline.

Anyways, there is enough debate about OT/RB on this site, I wont keep clogging up this thread...I will just leave you with these parting words...

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/OregonJonathanStewart.jpg

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

underrated29
04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
I still think its williams or stewart.

Oh and i promise you that if either stewart or mendenhall were there at 25 that we would take them.

Stewart is kinda like your cutler analogy, (mend too) he is the next LT/LJ and we would take them at #12 or later

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Stewart would be the perfect fit in Denver. A cutback runner with good speed that can plow through the tackles but still make safeties miss. He would be an immediate help to our red zone offense and could grow up with Cutler, Marshall, Scheff, and our young Oline.

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

We already have that. His name is Travis Henry. And when he gets tired, or need a change of pace, his little buddy named Selvin is pretty fast.

Point is, why draft a RB when the team has way more pressing needs at positions like OT and DT?

I still think its williams or stewart.

Oh and i promise you that if either stewart or mendenhall were there at 25 that we would take them.

Stewart is kinda like your cutler analogy, (mend too) he is the next LT/LJ and we would take them at #12 or later

That is saying a lot but highly unlikely. Ruben Droughns, when he was at Oregon was highly touted(buzz wise early before a major knee injury) similar to Stewart, at least in the Pac 10 community. I lived in Oregon as a kid, still on the west coast and I like Stewart just as much as any Pac 10 fan, but I highly doubt Stewart will be the next LT. That is just saying too much.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
We already have that. His name is Travis Henry. And when he gets tired, or need a change of pace, his little buddy named Selvin is pretty fast.

Point is, why draft a RB when the team has way more pressing needs at positions like OT and DT?

The same reason we drafted Cutler the year after our vet QB took us to the AFC championship game?

Again, any DT is a reach at 12 unless Ellis falls. Many scouts think Clady is a long term project at tackle and Williams is about the only other OT that is worthy of a #12 pick.

What has Travis Henry proven besides the fact that he is unreliable? Selvin Young is a 3rd down/change of pace back....he is not the answer at RB either.

underrated29
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
dont get me wrong i love travis. Love him and think if healthy he would tear up the league here, but he cant last a whole season and we dont have anyone else strong enough and fast enough to take the load if he goes down.

Maybe bell, but he is too slow and not strong enough, sapp is strong but to slow. I dont think young is strong enough, and i like hall better.

Its just that stewart is too good to pass up, and we dont want to have to face off against him.

LT- probably not, i havent seen enough of his runs to say that. But from what i have seen he is an LJ-.

And if LJ played on a better team or wasnt run a million times a game he would still be concensus top back right there with LT,AP,SJ

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
The same reason we drafted Cutler the year after our vet QB took us to the AFC championship game?

Again, any DT is a reach at 12 unless Ellis falls. Many scouts think Clady is a long term project at tackle and Williams is about the only other OT that is worthy of a #12 pick.

I thought I addressed this already. Jay Cutler is John Elway II.

I can't speculate exactly who we should pick cause we don't know who will be there. But I can tell you what area or position the team needs help in.

Superchop 7
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM

The last OT we took in the first was George Foster (bust) and arguably two of our current best young OL were taken in later rounds (Kuper and Harris). And not to dwell on the past, but Nalen was a 7th round pick and Lepsis was undrafted...I could go on with what Shany has done in the past.

Obviously our biggest need is DT, but there will not be a DT available at 12 that is worthy of a 12th pick. It would be dumb for us to reach for Kentwan Balmer at 12 no matter what our needs are. There probably wont be any Safety's taken in the first with the exception of Kenny Phillips and he is a very late first rounder at best. No way Shanny even thinks about a CB. He already has too much invested in the position to invest a 1st on one. I would be surprised if he drafted a CB at all...DEFINITELY not on day one.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

This is a great post, it mirrors alot of my thoughts.

Having said that.

We will probably move down the board, it makes the most sense and the Bronco's have said thats their plan.

But if "I" were stuck at 12.

I'd take Cromartie, he is too good to pass up no matter how stacked we are at DB.

BTW, love the Jackson signing. I like the way the Bronco's have handled their business this off season, great value.

As far as I'm concerned, the key to the draft as far as the Bronco's are concerned lies in the 3rd round, if we can finagle a few picks in that round we are gonna get better in a hurry. Every Bronco need will have a quality player in that round.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
dont get me wrong i love travis. Love him and think if healthy he would tear up the league here, but he cant last a whole season and we dont have anyone else strong enough and fast enough to take the load if he goes down.

Maybe bell, but he is too slow and not strong enough, sapp is strong but to slow. I dont think young is strong enough, and i like hall better.

Totally legit concern, but don't forget, this draft is deep in RBs and I think Shanny's already got his sleeper RB pick in mind in the 2nd-3rd round.

I personally think Jamaal Charles of Texas would be a great early 3rd round pick up if he is still there. Reminds me a little of Clinton Portis. Get Jamaal Charles into camp and bulk him up. He's got the frame to add 15lbs of muscle to his bones. If I remember correct, Portis came into the league at not much heavier than 185-190lbs with his boots on.

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I thought I addressed this already. Jay Cutler is John Elway II.

I can't speculate exactly who we should pick cause we don't know who will be there. But I can tell you what area or position the team needs help in.

OK

Jstew is TD II

LRtagger
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Totally legit concern, but don't forget, this draft is deep in RBs and I think Shanny's already got his sleeper RB pick in mind in the 2nd-3rd round.

I personally think Jamaal Charles of Texas would be a great early 3rd round pick up if he is still there. Reminds me a little of Clinton Portis. Get Jamaal Charles into camp and bulk him up. He's got the frame to add 15lbs of muscle to his bones. If I remember correct, Portis came into the league at not much heavier than 185-190lbs with his boots on.

we dont have a 3rd round pick

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 08:47 PM
we dont have a 3rd round pick

Make a deal, trade a couple of the later rounds for 1. Use a 4th, whatever. Jamaal Charles is a great prospect. The kind of speed RB Coach Shanny likes. It's all speculation here. I'm not the paid GM, just a fan bringing up ideas.

Lonestar
04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Make a deal, trade a couple of the later rounds for 1. Use a 4th, whatever. Jamaal Charles is a great prospect. The kind of speed RB Coach Shanny likes. It's all speculation here. I'm not the paid GM, just a fan bringing up ideas.

NObody is

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 08:52 PM

I've seen Charles play and while he has very good speed he's never impressed me as a back that can break tackles.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I've seen Charles play and while he has very good speed he's never impressed me as a back that can break tackles.

As I said in the other thread. When Portis came out Miami, he was no more than 185-190lbs with a pair of wet boots on. He bulked up to 200-205lbs or so by game day.

Now, Jamaal Charles is 5'11'', 200lbs, is super fast, can cut on a dime and has great hands. He is actually .5 inch to 1 inch taller than Stewart and Mendenhall. Put him through an NFL workout regiment and I'm sure he'll be a tougher runner between the tackles and not lose any speed and quickness.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Portis actually was 204 when he weighed in at the Combine and his Pro Day.

Lonestar
04-16-2008, 09:13 PM

first year played at 208 or that was what was listed..

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
As I said in the other thread. When Portis came out Miami, he was no more than 185-190lbs with a pair of wet boots on. He bulked up to 200-205lbs or so by game day.

Now, Jamaal Charles is 5'11'', 200lbs, is super fast, can cut on a dime and has great hands. He is actually .5 inch to 1 inch taller than Stewart and Mendenhall. Put him through an NFL workout regiment and I'm sure he'll be a tougher runner between the tackles and not lose any speed and quickness.

Maybe he would, the one thing that any running back we bring in has in this offense is Bobby Taylor.

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 09:17 PM

By Portis' own recollection he weighed about 198 lbs at the start of his rookie season but by season's end he had dropped to about 185 lbs.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM

I think I got 185lbs from an old stat sheet from when he was in college. Immediately after their final game in college, all the pro prospects work hard in the gym to impress the scouts. I'm pretty sure he was not 204 when he playing at Miami.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
By Portis' own recollection he weighed about 198 lbs at the start of his rookie season but by season's end he had dropped to about 185 lbs.

Thanks again TxBronc. I hate googling for specific stats and numbers. I just go with what I know or think I know. More times that not, I will not have the exact figure or fact down to the T, but the point I'm trying to prove is there.

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks again TxBronc. I hate googling for specific stats and numbers. I just go with what I know or think I know. More times that not, I will not have the exact figure or fact down to the T, but the point I'm trying to prove is there.

You're welcome.

WARHORSE
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Me too, exept I think that means we wont draft those guys.

Not so. I think when youre drafting from the 12th spot in the draft, you pretty much know who may or may not be available to you. It makes you hiding your draft hand a little less impactful than if youre drafting later. I also think the Broncos have a history of hiding their draft intentions, which makes it all the more unreadable.

I think the Broncos are preparing themselves to pick at 12 if they must. And if they must, I very well think it may be Williams, Mendenhall or the Cherub.

I prefer Williams or Mendenhall.

The other intention that may lie behind this is trying to get other teams to trade up for these players........in order to get your player to move down.

In other words, if by chance Ellis is there at 9 when the Bungles pick, then Detroit trading up with them in order to get Mendenhall would move Cincy down. Then Detroit selects Mendenhall.

New Orleans then selects Rivers or McKelvin, and then Chicago trades up with Buffalo in order to select Williams, for fear of Denver drafting him.

All of a sudden, we have Ellis sitting in our laps.:coffee:

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Not so. I think when youre drafting from the 12th spot in the draft, you pretty much know who may or may not be available to you. It makes you hiding your draft hand a little less impactful than if youre drafting later. I also think the Broncos have a history of hiding their draft intentions, which makes it all the more unreadable.

I think the Broncos are preparing themselves to pick at 12 if they must. And if they must, I very well think it may be Williams, Mendenhall or the Cherub.

I prefer Williams or Mendenhall.

The other intention that may lie behind this is trying to get other teams to trade up for these players........in order to get your player to move down.

In other words, if by chance Ellis is there at 9 when the Bungles pick, then Detroit trading up with them in order to get Mendenhall would move Cincy down. Then Detroit selects Mendenhall.

New Orleans then selects Rivers or McKelvin, and then Chicago trades up with Buffalo in order to select Williams, for fear of Denver drafting him.

All of a sudden, we have Ellis sitting in our laps.:coffee:

I think there is really good chance that the Patriots take Keith Rivers with the 7th pick considering how old they are at linebacker.

LRtagger
04-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Trading picks to move up or down is easier said than done. We will already be losing probably two second day picks on the Robertson deal. Why reach for an OT in the first and trade away our late picks to get an average back? We can draft an elite back in the first and stock up on good OL from there on out. The OL board in this draft is too deep to reach in the first. After Jake Long the board evens out substantially. After Mcfadden, Stewart, and Mendenhall the RB board DROPS substantially.

If we draft Mendenhall or Stewart, trade a 4th and 7th for Robertson, and stock up on OL, we immediately address our DT, OL depth, redzone offense, and our unreliability at the RB position.

BANJOPICKER1
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Wet noodle!!:D:D
GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!:salute: