PDA

View Full Version : If the opportunity presents iteself....would you approve?

underrated29
04-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Right now it seems more and more that we have either:
ellis,williams,stewart on our radar. (assuming no smoke screens).

If we took williams at LT at 12; would you then be in favor of trading our '09 1st and whatever picks to match the value to get back in to get stewart assuming he falls somewhere to the late teens early 20's.

If we did our offense would be set for YEARS!! and we would still be able to go defense etc. with the rest of our picks.

Bur we do have travis on our team and could get a late round back, and keep our picks next year, but our offense most likely would not be the most potent we have ever seen.

Dont forget shanny tried to get back into the first 2 years ago to get maroney. Cleveland did get back into the first last year to get quinn..

So if it plays out that way, would you do it?

shank
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
no, if we go OL in one, there are lots of other good backs later.

omon in the 5th would be good value for our system, and choice in the 4th wouldn't be bad at all.

(i think our best combo posibility could be stewart1 and baker2

Scarface
04-16-2008, 07:12 AM
No, I hate trading future 1st rounders.

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't because I don't like idea of trading away a high future pick.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 07:35 AM
No because we will need a safety next year and possibly a MLB. Next years draft is stacked with talent.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Absolutely not. First of all, to get a first rounder this year, it would cost a first rounder next year and at least a 4th this year also. 2nd, you never mortgage the future for a late first round pick, unless you are sure that Stewart or whoever you are trading for will have the kind of impact on this team that Elway did. That's not likely to happen. 3rd, Denver could be decimated by injuries to key players this year and end up with a high pick in next year's draft. (See San Francisco 2007) Joe Staley did ok as a rookie, but I'll bet they'd trade him straight up for the 7th pick in the draft in a heartbeat.

lex
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
The only justification for trading next years #1 would be to move up from 12 and there are a couple of players where that would be justifiable. And besides that, a future pick is usually docked a round; in other words, a 2009 1st is worth a 2008 2nd. So Im not entirely certain we could swing that.

But if we were to go with OL at 12, Id rather get Jamaal Charles at 42.

lex
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Absolutely not. First of all, to get a first rounder this year, it would cost a first rounder next year and at least a 4th this year also. 2nd, you never mortgage the future for a late first round pick, unless you are sure that Stewart or whoever you are trading for will have the kind of impact on this team that Elway did. That's not likely to happen. 3rd, Denver could be decimated by injuries to key players this year and end up with a high pick in next year's draft. (See San Francisco 2007) Joe Staley did ok as a rookie, but I'll bet they'd trade him straight up for the 7th pick in the draft in a heartbeat.

I disagree. Running back is a position that is most likely to have the highest impact in year 1.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I disagree. Running back is a position that is most likely to have the highest impact in year 1.

It's also the position with the shortest career length, is it not?

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:06 AM

I think the average is somewhere around 7 years.

lex
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah, theres more under the hood where that stat is concerned though. That stat includes all running backs including guys who are back ups that werent good to begin with as well as guys who eat their way out of the league, and by that I mean guys who arent where they need to be in terms of performing at a sufficient level. People often see that stat and interpret to mean RBs get injured when thats just a small piece of it. If a running back puts on weight and is not playing, he's too slow to be a running back. If a lineman or a QB does that, it doesnt affect them nearly as much or in the same way.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 10:19 AM
You can't predict how long you are going to have a player healthy. Doesn't matter if we draft an OT or RB, you will not be able to tell me or anyone else how long that player will play. You have to do what is best for your team, predicting injuries isn't even in the equation.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I wonder if SHanahan has changed his philosiphy on RB's. That was the main reason he didn't want to pay Portis the big money. He stated in an interview that a RB takes such a pounding that they tend to fall off after the 5th or 6th year, so a large long-term contract doesn't always make sense. In the case of Portis, he was right. He hasn't been worth the money the Redskins gave him. Champ on the other hand, has been worth every penny.

lex
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I wonder if SHanahan has changed his philosiphy on RB's. That was the main reason he didn't want to pay Portis the big money. He stated in an interview that a RB takes such a pounding that they tend to fall off after the 5th or 6th year, so a large long-term contract doesn't always make sense. In the case of Portis, he was right. He hasn't been worth the money the Redskins gave him. Champ on the other hand, has been worth every penny.

Shanahan has said that he would like a bellcow. And when you look back at the 2005 season, its not exactly like we were having success running in the playoffs either. I actually think Portis has acquitted himself nicely in Washington, he hasnt had the stats he did in Denver but they dont exactly take advantage of his strengths the way Denver did either. Gibbs likes to grind it out between the tackles. Portis can run in between the tackles but to do to the degree that Washington does, doesnt exactly maximize what he can do.

I dont think Shanahan would be averse to drafting a running back. I think enough time has passed since we won a SB as a running team that I would rule out him coming full circle with a certain truth: know who you are, what youre good at, and be the best at it you can. When you think about it we gave up Portis after we lost to Indy in the playoffs. Having Champ hasnt exactly help us climb that mountain where Indy was concerned. Weve been trading RBs to help the defense as well as drafting heavily on the defensive side and where has that gotten us? Again, I think Shanahan might have come full circle on a certain truth. We've been tearing away layers of our offensive to help our defense and in doing so have been over-relying on the offensive acumen of our coach--which is substantial. But the gradual erosion of talent on the offensive side of the ball has disarmed from the ability to leverage the expertise of our coach and protect our defense.

underrated29
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Honestly i am not sure what i would want. I think we will be picking somehwere in the late teens to early 20's next year so mortgaging our first isnt so bad.....

On the other hand i really like that washington guy, big like mendenhall and just a little bit slower than stewart. He can be had in the 3-5 range. He probably wont be as good as stewart, but hey we dont lose any picks.

For now thats the way i would go, pass up on either williams or stewart and keep our 1st for next year. To me though its a close call. But next year we could have a good shot at one of the premier LBs if nikko doesnt work, and as always there is going to be another stud rb comming out.

Buff
04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
As I said in another thread, I don't think it's worth paying a RB 1st round $$ unless they're a clear cut Adrian Peterson freak of nature type... Though Stewart fits that mold physically, he's hurt too often, and he's hurt right now... So it just doesn't justify the investment IMO.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
As I said in another thread, I don't think it's worth paying a RB 1st round $$ unless they're a clear cut Adrian Peterson freak of nature type... Though Stewart fits that mold physically, he's hurt too often, and he's hurt right now... So it just doesn't justify the investment IMO.

He was hurt this year, torward the end of the season and he played every game. He ran for over 200 yards in his bowl game. He took part in the combine where he had one of the best 40 times despite being 235lbs and needing surgery. He also had the best broad jump and verticle off all runningbacks who took part at the combine.

Yet you want to say his is hurt too often and he isn't worth the money....WOW, I'm confused.