PDA

View Full Version : Redskins could still make a run at Brandon Marshall

broncofaninfla
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Redskins could still make a run at Brandon Marshall (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/redskins-could-still-make-a-run-at-brandon-marshall/)

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 9:44 AM ET
In the wake of the move to acquire quarterback Donovan McNabb from the Eagles, immediate speculation regarding McNabb's arsenal of weapons centered on receiver Terrell Owens (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/05/to-to-redskins-chatter-begins/). But Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. reports that at least one high-level Redskins source is opposed to the notion of adding Owens.

If not Owens, how about Brandon Marshall? Though the McNabb trade removes the high second-round pick that the Redskins could have used to get Marshall, other options remain for getting the deal done, including a first-round pick in 2011, an offseason that likely will feature a deep free-agent class.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post believes that a move for Marshall remains possible (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/nfl-draft/brandon-marshall-might-be-firs.html). Of course, this would mean that last year's report that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was at the end of his rope with Marshall in 2008, and that Shanahan would have cut or traded Marshall if Shanahan hadn't been fired, was incorrect. Then again, we never really believed that one.

So would we be surprised if Marshall becomes the next No. 1 wideout for the Redskins? Not nearly as surprised as we were to learn that the Redskins had finagled McNabb.

Ziggy
04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
This guy is just saying that since they traded for McNabb, anything is possible. Sounds like pure speculation, but I think the Broncos would happily take a 2011 1st for him.

Northman
04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Yea, dont see it happening with Wash for many different reasons.

TXBRONC
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Shanahan brought TO in Denver and let him move on just a few years back and from what I remember McNabb made it pretty clear he didn't want to have to deal with TO ever again.

Ravage!!!
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Would have been interesting if Shanahan was the HC in Washington last season.

I think people have a tendency to think that ex-coaches are just automatically going to go after players from the old teams (although, I think McD proved that the be a viable line-o-thought last offseason).

I saw someone posting on the other board, how he was convinced that Carrol would absolutely (without a doubt) get Leinert and Reggie Bush.. and every ex-Trojan he could so that he could build the same team he had in california.

I'm sure that Shanahan (and McNabb) would LOVE to have Marshall on their team. If I was Shanahan, I would give the 2011 1st round pick for Brandon, in a heartbeat.

Ravage!!!
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Shanahan brought TO in Denver and let him move on just a few years back and from what I remember McNabb made it pretty clear he didn't want to have to deal with TO ever again.

yeah.. I can't figure out why people think that TO is going to Washington when its VERY clear that the WR and QB are not a mix. That would be the absolute WORSE signing you could have.

Lancane
04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
This guy is just saying that since they traded for McNabb, anything is possible. Sounds like pure speculation, but I think the Broncos would happily take a 2011 1st for him.

It is pure speculation...and it will not happen, there is a reason that McDaniels and Xanders have been so set with a first round pick for Marshall and that is because they know they have a need to replace him. Let alone they knew they already needed receiver help?

Ravage!!!
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
It is pure speculation...and it will not happen, there is a reason that McDaniels and Xanders have been so set with a first round pick for Marshall and that is because they know they have a need to replace him. Let alone they knew they already needed receiver help?

we don't really know how set they are on getting a first round pick, or will simply accept first round value.

Lancane
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
we don't really know how set they are on getting a first round pick, or will simply accept first round value.

That is true, but I am quite sure they will not wait a year to get the return value from him...not when the loss of him would hit the hardest.

Ravage!!!
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
That is true, but I am quite sure they will not wait a year to get the return value from him...not when the loss of him would hit the hardest.

Depends on the best offer. Do you take a 2nd this year, or a 1st next? Plus you forget, we already have Gaffney on the roster :wink:

arapaho2
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM

the broncos would have to be the stupidest team ever...why get alot worse on offense this year to take a pick next year that may never pan out

broncofaninfla
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
If Washington is able to trade Haynesworth and get that 2nd round pick back, they might have the ammo to trade for Marshall assuming Denver is willing to take less that a 1st. Despite that, I'm hoping Marshall stays this year as I feel we are a better team with him than without him and fell Gaffeny is not a viable option.

TXBRONC
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
the broncos would have to be the stupidest team ever...why get alot worse on offense this year to take a pick next year that may never pan out

I think it's the timing pick that's the problem. I think that because whether you get the pick for this year or next you still to deal with the lost production for at the very least this season. Even if get a number one for this year there is no guarantee that the guy would pan out.

honz
04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
He is right, the Redskins could still go after Marshall...along with 31 other teams. Or however many teams there are in the NFL.

WARHORSE
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
First of all, does Mike Shanahan WANT Brandon Marshall?

Unequivicably the answer is YES.

Shanahan is about winning and Brandon is a PROVEN producer that already knows his offense, and has excelled on the field.

While I would not take less than a first rounder, I WOULD take a swap of firsts to go along with their first next year.

ANY deal that is acceptable to both sides is a possiblity.