PDA

View Full Version : Would we trade down with the Eagles?

broncobryce
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
They have a ton of picks in the first 4 rounds. Who would they target at 11? CJ Spiller comes to mind. Or if Eric Berry is still there. Should we trade down for more picks?

Italianmobstr7
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
They have a ton of picks in the first 4 rounds. Who would they target at 11? CJ Spiller comes to mind. Or if Eric Berry is still there. Should we trade down for more picks?

If Eric Berry is still there (which he most likely won't be) we'll take him.

dogfish
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
berry still being on the board is the only feasible scenario in which i wouldn't want to trade down. . . otherwise, it should absolutely be our first choice. . .

Carl
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Agreed, He would have to fall past Kansas City (where I think he lands), Seattle, Cleveland, and Jacksonville. Very unlikely. I also wouldnt be shocked if spiller fell to the late teens. 11 seems terribly high for a guy who has never been mocked higher than 13. From a business perspective that just doesnt makes sense and the Eagles typically makes respectable picks come draft day.

BigBroncLove
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
berry still being on the board is the only feasible scenario in which i wouldn't want to trade down. . . otherwise, it should absolutely be our first choice. . .

I agree. Berry is the type of player, that regardless of need, if he falls within our sights at #11 you pull the trigger without a second thought.

Otherwise the guys they should be targeting at the positions they have need at will be available more then just a few picks back. Maximizing value for the picks and creating more (whether its picks this year or next) can only work for the organization. Move back from #11 if the price is right :beer:

TXBRONC
04-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Would we trade down with the Eagles? I don't know I haven't talked with Andy Reid recently have you? :D (kidding)

Seriously like some of the other posters have said if Berry is available at the 11th spot we should take him. Spiller I'm not so sure.

WARHORSE
04-06-2010, 04:12 AM
I think trading down with the Eagles is a very possible scenario.

If you ask me, they want Pierre Paul.

They would give up their 24th and the pick they just got from Washington to us for our 11th pick. The value of the picks is right there.

Unless one of the big players fell to us, I can see this happening.

We would have opportunity to get three very good players.

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 04:39 AM
only target they would trade up for is derrick morgan.....

Lancane
04-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Again people make assumptions based off of what?...

Not saying it is not possible, but you have to know the inner workings of the front offices in question; is there a chance? Yes, but is it likely? No... Reid is like Shanahan at times and loves to horde picks. Every now and then, they will trade and it's no secret that the Eagles are stacked with picks in the upcoming draft. But it would cost them more then just their first and second, unless Denver was willing to sacrifice the remaining value which is equal to low third round pick. I just don't see the Eagles trading enough to get there. San Francisco and New England could do it and have the value to do so with less picks and both teams have looked at players slated to go closer to the 11th overall spot.

broncofaninfla
04-06-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm not really in love with any of the picks projected to be there at 11 and would love for us to trade down.

claymore
04-06-2010, 07:08 AM

I would absolutley lose it if we didnt take him at 11.

CoachChaz
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
How many free safeties do we need? McBath showed a lot of promise last year and we have bigger needs at other positions. I'd be tempted to draft Berry...but only if other oprions are off the board already

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Not saying it is not possible, but you have to know the inner workings of the front offices in question; is there a chance? Yes, but is it likely? No... Reid is like Shanahan at times and loves to horde picks. Every now and then, they will trade and it's no secret that the Eagles are stacked with picks in the upcoming draft. But it would cost them more then just their first and second, unless Denver was willing to sacrifice the remaining value which is equal to low third round pick. I just don't see the Eagles trading enough to get there. San Francisco and New England could do it and have the value to do so with less picks and both teams have looked at players slated to go closer to the 11th overall spot.

good post:salute:

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not really in love with any of the picks projected to be there at 11 and would love for us to trade down.

this is now more likely then people realize....

CoachChaz
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
this is now more likely then people realize....

Except that it's been noted that about half the teams in the top 10 want to move down. Typically happens in a defense heavy draft

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Except that it's been noted that about half the teams in the top 10 want to move down. Typically happens in a defense heavy draft

yes thats true, but if a player lik earl thomas, mcclain, or odrick is at 11, and we are debating between which one to get and houston wants thomas, the giants want mcclain or new england wants odrick, one of those teams will have to make a move or risk losing out on the one they really want.....and if they make the call i fully belive we will move baxck and take the extra picks....and its very hard for top ten teams to move down because the cost is so high....the only team that may have a chance is jacksonville but it wont be to many spots....and i dont think to many top ten teams want to move down like is speculated......

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
if i had to guess i would say the top ten looks like this right now

1. StL-Bradford
2. Det- Suh
3. TB- Mccoy
4. WAS-Okung
5. KC- Buluga
6. Seattle- Berry
7. Clevland- Odrick
8. Oak- Campbell
9. Buffalo- Dan williams
10. Jacksonville- Derrick Morgan

that leaves us with spiller, mcclain, haden, thomas, weatherspoon, trent williams, dez bryant, brandon graham

there are quite a few teams that probally covet those players more than we do....

CoachChaz
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
if i had to guess i would say the top ten looks like this right now

1. StL-Bradford
2. Det- Suh
3. TB- Mccoy
4. WAS-Okung
5. KC- Buluga
6. Seattle- Berry
7. Clevland- Odrick
8. Oak- Campbell
9. Buffalo- Dan williams
10. Jacksonville- Derrick Morgan

that leaves us with spiller, mcclain, haden, thomas, weatherspoon, trent williams, dez bryant, brandon graham

there are quite a few teams that probally covet those players more than we do....

I'll play Devil's Advocate...

If those players are available, it's a longshot that teams will try to trade up. Taking the DA approach...here's why.

12. Dolphins - Graham, Pierre-Paul, Haden are available. No need to trade.
13. San Fran - Haden, Earl Thomas, Trent Williams still there. They'll get one. No need to trade
14. Seattle - Bryant, Spiller, Brown, Williams...they'll get one. No need to trade
15. NY Giants - Spiller, McClain, Weatherspoon. One of the ILB's will fall to them. No need to trade
16. Tennessee - At this point, Griffin, Dunlap and McCourty are of value. They'll get a player they like
17. San Fran - Anthony Davis, Taylor Mays, mcCourty...solid players of value and need available
18. Pittsburgh - Maybe McClain, Kyle Wilson, Iupati, Pouncey
19. Atlanta - Graham, Griffin, Dunlap
20. Houston - Thomas, Matthews, Wilson
21. Cincinnati - Mays, Price, Gresham
22. New England - Gresham, Odrick, Matthews
23. Green Bay - Brown, Pouncey, Iupati
24. Philly - Wilson, Thomas, Iupati
25. Baltimore - Odrick, Gresham, Wilson

Now once you get to this point, the best offers are going to be swapping firsts and adding a 4th...maybe a 3rd.

I just think this draft is too deep for teams to feel the need to trade up. Maybe some team would really prefer one guy over another, but I guess I just dont expect too many teams to be looking to trade up very far.

The Glue Factory
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Furthermore, I find it hilarious when people say a team will draft a specific player or set of players when that team has shown a pattern of drafting BPA (much like the Bronco's last year.)

WARHORSE
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM

First of all this is speculation and whats wrong with that? Nobodys toes are being stepped on here. The assumptions are based on 'possibilities' and the fact that we know that a team low in the first round with a plethora of picks is a higher candidate to trade up than a team without them.

The value chart places the compensation from the Eagles for our 11th pick at their first and the second that Washington gave up for McNabb.

Anyone who knows a little about the Eagles understands that Reid is going to target the trenches with his top picks. Dline or Oline.

Being that Kolb is nowhere near as mobile as McNabb, it isnt far fetched to think that the Eagles may be looking at a RT or a LG. But more than that, they need defensive help and his defense is predicated on pressuring the QB. He wants pass rushing DTs and DEs that can drop the QB.

Knowing this, Morgan is the best of the bunch for the 4-3, but Pierre Paul is more likely to be there.

There also are a number of DE prospects that can get pressure they may be interested in.

So lets understand, the Eagles ARE a candidate to move up, every team is.

But the Eagles have the flexibility advantage over every other team, with the exeption of perhaps Seattle and SF.

Elevation inc
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll play Devil's Advocate...

If those players are available, it's a longshot that teams will try to trade up. Taking the DA approach...here's why.

12. Dolphins - Graham, Pierre-Paul, Haden are available. No need to trade.
13. San Fran - Haden, Earl Thomas, Trent Williams still there. They'll get one. No need to trade
14. Seattle - Bryant, Spiller, Brown, Williams...they'll get one. No need to trade
15. NY Giants - Spiller, McClain, Weatherspoon. One of the ILB's will fall to them. No need to trade
16. Tennessee - At this point, Griffin, Dunlap and McCourty are of value. They'll get a player they like
17. San Fran - Anthony Davis, Taylor Mays, mcCourty...solid players of value and need available
18. Pittsburgh - Maybe McClain, Kyle Wilson, Iupati, Pouncey
19. Atlanta - Graham, Griffin, Dunlap
20. Houston - Thomas, Matthews, Wilson
21. Cincinnati - Mays, Price, Gresham
22. New England - Gresham, Odrick, Matthews
23. Green Bay - Brown, Pouncey, Iupati
24. Philly - Wilson, Thomas, Iupati
25. Baltimore - Odrick, Gresham, Wilson

Now once you get to this point, the best offers are going to be swapping firsts and adding a 4th...maybe a 3rd.

I just think this draft is too deep for teams to feel the need to trade up. Maybe some team would really prefer one guy over another, but I guess I just dont expect too many teams to be looking to trade up very far.

you touched on it at the end, the biggest thing about the draft is getting your guy, if you have that chance to get the guy you really want by trading up, or stay put and risk having to settle for your third choice which route do you take.....i have complete faith there are at least 3 GM's after us who would make the trade up becasue they value propspect X more than Z who is there third choice.....having to settle for your third chocie isnt exactly great strategy...now it could be because of poor planning by that scout team/GM/Coach or it could be they just dont get it....

every draft year we get told all year no one will trade out or down or up, yet every year there are a number of trades.....i think with such a deep class we will see lower teams like us or miami or jacksonville make a trade back while teams like new england who have a horde of second rd picks would be more than willing to trade up....

hamrob
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
We're well positioned at 11 if a guy who is slated to go top 10 falls. I don't think it will be Berry...but, it could be a Tackle or Clausen. More than likely though, it would be someone in the teens who gives up a 3rd to move up a few spots or a team like New England that has multiple 2's.

Lancane
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
First of all this is speculation and whats wrong with that? Nobodys toes are being stepped on here. The assumptions are based on 'possibilities' and the fact that we know that a team low in the first round with a plethora of picks is a higher candidate to trade up than a team without them.

The value chart places the compensation from the Eagles for our 11th pick at their first and the second that Washington gave up for McNabb.

Anyone who knows a little about the Eagles understands that Reid is going to target the trenches with his top picks. Dline or Oline.

Being that Kolb is nowhere near as mobile as McNabb, it isnt far fetched to think that the Eagles may be looking at a RT or a LG. But more than that, they need defensive help and his defense is predicated on pressuring the QB. He wants pass rushing DTs and DEs that can drop the QB.

Knowing this, Morgan is the best of the bunch for the 4-3, but Pierre Paul is more likely to be there.

There also are a number of DE prospects that can get pressure they may be interested in.

So lets understand, the Eagles ARE a candidate to move up, every team is.

But the Eagles have the flexibility advantage over every other team, with the exeption of perhaps Seattle and SF.

You forgot New England, they have three second round picks. And of those mentioned as a possible trade partners have the advantage; Bowlen and Kraft are long-time rivals and friends, we have traded with them before and unlike Philly, Belichick is not a horder as much as Reid. I get your point War, but you need to understand the organization that is the Eagles, rarely do they trade, but as I said there is a chance, slight but it's there.

Personally I believe right now that we will either trade down for San Francisco's 17th and their second round pick or with New England for the 22nd and the 44th overall picks.

TXBRONC
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
You forgot New England, they have three second round picks. And of those mentioned as a possible trade partners have the advantage; Bowlen and Kraft are long-time rivals and friends, we have traded with them before and unlike Philly, Belichick is not a horder as much as Reid. I get your point War, but you need to understand the organization that is the Eagles, rarely do they trade, but as I said there is a chance, slight but it's there.

Personally I believe right now that we will either trade down for San Francisco's 17th and their second round pick or with New England for the 22nd and the 44th overall picks.

I agree that Reid isn't one that likes to part with his draft picks but as much as anything he has young solid receiving corp.

WARHORSE
04-07-2010, 02:00 AM

I agree that Reid isn't one that likes to part with his draft picks but as much as anything he has young solid receiving corp.

Not sure you guys been watching the Eagles drafts, but they are one of the most active first day draft teams in the league. They either trade up......or down. Take a look at their draft trade history and you'll see that Reid is very willing to move up or down, especially in the first round.

At the same time, it doesnt mean the Eaglets will move......but it does make them high candidates for movement.

And true on NE, they too have picks to move.

DenBronx
04-07-2010, 03:22 AM
i'm still puzzled on why people keep thinking spiller is on our radar?

dont we have some gaping holes at ilb and o-line?

TXBRONC
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
i'm still puzzled on why people keep thinking spiller is on our radar?

dont we have some gaping holes at ilb and o-line?

Some people assume Spiller will be the BPA.

Elevation inc
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Some people assume Spiller will be the BPA.

he will be one of the BPA's available.....haden, dez bryant, graham, trent williams, earl thomas, mcclain, weatehrspoon all could be BPA as well....all are top 15 prospects and will be there for the picking at 11....:D

TXBRONC
04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
he will be one of the BPA's available.....haden, dez bryant, graham, trent williams, earl thomas, mcclain, weatehrspoon all could be BPA as well....all are top 15 prospects and will be there for the picking at 11....:D

I agree that there will be more player to choose from and everyone of them would be worth the pick.

rcsodak
04-08-2010, 08:29 PM

What player would be so GREAT for Philly to give up picks for?

They just became the 4th best team in their division. They might as well continue 'building'. :rolleyes:

Elevation inc
04-09-2010, 02:56 AM
What player would be so GREAT for Philly to give up picks for?

They just became the 4th best team in their division. They might as well continue 'building'. :rolleyes:

the only player they would trade up for in this draft is derrick morgan and that would require alot of ammo, and reid mentailty disuptes that he would be willing to make that move....

there is a outside chance they would try and trade up for weatherspoon to solidfy there LB core, but thats about it...

dogfish
04-09-2010, 02:59 AM
the only player they would trade up for in this draft is derrick morgan and that would require alot of ammo, and reid mentailty disuptes that he would be willing to make that move....

there is a outside chance they would try and trade up for weatherspoon to solidfy there LB core, but thats about it...

i think you might add earl thomas to that list given their mediocre safety play last year, or even one of the top tackles given reid's history of moving up for linemen and the release of shawn andrews. . . i always think of the eagles as a candidate to move up-- they've proven to be pretty aggressive in the past when they identify a guy they want. . .

Elevation inc
04-09-2010, 03:06 AM
i think you might add earl thomas to that list given their mediocre safety play last year, or even one of the top tackles given reid's history of moving up for linemen and the release of shawn andrews. . . i always think of the eagles as a candidate to move up-- they've proven to be pretty aggressive in the past when they identify a guy they want. . .

you could, but they did just add marlin jackson whom for some reason they really like....its possible, and it would be wise since marlin jackson can not stay healthy, but they would need to trade with us possibly to have that chance at thomas.....and i dont belive for a minute reid would move up for a safety....they like macho harris and quintin mikell for depth so they feel right now they have 2 starters in jackson and harris....so for me i wouldnt inlcude thomas in the list as a move up canidate, but it certainly is viable and would be wise to consider since marlin jackson aint all that....

reid also loves and prefers DL and OL in rds 1-2 if possible, so i belive they are gonna stay put and get someone like iputati or a DE like dunlap....but if they like morgan enough i could see them make that move up...they could try for mcclain to, but i think with bradely coming back they would be set there inside....so weatherspoon makes the most sense if they need a LB, but they would probally have to get high for him to, evne if weatherspoon fell, i doubt he would get past atlanta....

rcsodak
04-13-2010, 08:06 AM

I think you both missed my point.

I honestly don't think, as do NFL pundits, that there is really anybody in the 1st that Philly feels they NEED to trade up for. They have plenty of picks, and more than one HC/scout has concluded that players in the 2nd will be just as good, if not cheaper.

Philly just kicked out the door, their starting PB QB, along with half-a-dozen other vet players, in the last 2yrs.
I don't see them changing all of a sudden and deciding they 'need' any 1 player to get them to the promised land.

CoachChaz
04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I think you both missed my point.

I honestly don't think, as do NFL pundits, that there is really anybody in the 1st that Philly feels they NEED to trade up for. They have plenty of picks, and more than one HC/scout has concluded that players in the 2nd will be just as good, if not cheaper.

Philly just kicked out the door, their starting PB QB, along with half-a-dozen other vet players, in the last 2yrs.
I don't see them changing all of a sudden and deciding they 'need' any 1 player to get them to the promised land.

I would agree...but they currently have 12 draft choices. On a playoff caliber team, it's only realistic to think that maybe 6 draft choices would actually make the team, so that gives them alot of picks to move around in order to move up.

General draft rule...if you are an impact player or two away from contending for the SB...you move up. If you are a few years away and need to regroup...you move back and add picks. I'd put Philly in the first portion of this