PDA

View Full Version : 'We'll Be Ready'

Denver Native (Carol)
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10005

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For Robert Ayers and the rest of the 2009 draft class, the time is now.

Gone are the days of training camp haircuts and soaking wet drills. No more rookie hotel and extra meetings.

No longer rookies, they face higher expectations, and their first full offseason in the NFL is a critical period.

"You take a rookie and transform him from being the low guy on the totem pole and raise the expectations," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "You tell them, 'We expect more out of you. What you did was OK, you helped contribute to some of the success we had last year, but you've got to do more.' The offseason program is a great place for them to start."

Ayers said he and his teammates are taking that transition seriously. He has been hard at work in the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program, working with strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten and getting to know new teammates.

This time last year, Ayers and fellow draft prospects were focused on workouts centered around the scouting combine -- 40-yard dash, bench press, vertical jump and the like. Now, workouts at Dove Valley have, as Ayers says, have "more intensity and real football things."

Correll Buckhalter said that will help the second-year players when the season rolls around.

"For them to be able to go through an offseason, that will kind of prepare their minds and bodies for the upcoming season, because they know what they're facing," the 10-year veteran said.

Ayers played in 15 games in his rookie season, starting one, and picked up 18 tackles, two pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

Against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football in INVESCO Field at Mile High, Ayers picked up a fumble and returned it 54 yards for a touchdown for the longest fumble return score by a rookie in franchise history. He notched his second fumble recovery on special teams against the Philadelphia Eagles after Darrell Reid jarred the ball loose. He picked it up and set up what two plays later resulted in a touchdown pass from Kyle Orton to Knowshon Moreno.

Though his stats weren't spectacular, defensive coordinator Don Martindale spoke highly of Ayers' progress midway through last season, explaining that numbers don't define a football player.

"That's what fantasy football has done -- everybody's looking at tackles, assists and sacks and all that instead of actually watching the game and seeing some of the things that he does," Martindale said. "I think every snap, every play, he gets better."

Ayers intends to ensure that improvement continues into his second season.

"On the field I took some bumps, and I gave some bumps, too," he said of his rookie campaign. "I look at it as just a learning experience. I know what to expect going into this season -- I know what it's going to be like, I know what's expected of me and I know what to expect of myself. I know what I can do, and I know what I will do."

McDaniels said he expects the draft class of 2009 to get better at watching film, get stronger in the weight room, get smarter in the system and become better leaders.

Ayers has no doubt he and his teammates will pass those tests with flying colors.

"I think when the opportunity comes, I have a lot of faith in myself and I have a lot of faith in the guys, too, that we'll be ready to step up," he said.

broncobryce
04-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Ayers is ready to take the next step I believe. You know, the one Jarvis Moss still hasn't taken?

EMB6903
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Very confident in Ayers next year but i still have questions with Moreno and Alphonso.

jlarsiii
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Ayers is ready to take the next step I believe. You know, the one Jarvis Moss still hasn't taken?

Agreed. Moss will never make take that step IMO.

I just hope Smith will make some steps this offseason so trading away our 1st round pick for him won't sting so much.

Ziggy
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I love what Martindale says about Ayers. The fantasy football aspect is absolutely true. Ayers has a ways to go, but he did some good things last season as a rookie transitioning to a new position.

JONtheBRONCO
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Wins: Moreno, Ayers, McBath, Bruton (special teams guy)
Losses: Everyone else.

EMB6903
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Im not giving up on Alphonso yet. Gotta realize hes a CB, thats probably physically the toughest position adjusting to at the next level. Lets not forget he was the most impressive rookie in preseason and in the first week against Cinci. after the ankle injury it seemed like he was lost.

Still a very good tackler who has ballhawk like skills.

Nomad
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Im not giving up on Alphonso yet. Gotta realize hes a CB, thats probably physically the toughest position adjusting to at the next level. Lets not forget he was the most impressive rookie in preseason and in the first week against Cinci. after the ankle injury it seemed like he was lost.

Still a very good tackler who has ballhawk like skills.

Just generally saying (not directed at you EMB and I agree with your take). How can anyone give up on him when he was a rookie last year. It's not like he's in his 3rd or 4th yr! Funny how some players get leniency from critics and others get thrown to the wolves after one year!!

smith49
04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Just generally saying (not directed at you EMB and I agree with your take). How can anyone give up on him when he was a rookie last year. It's not like he's in his 3rd or 4th yr! Funny how some players get leniency from critics and others get thrown to the wolves after one year!!

i fully agree nomad. i dont understant how anyone could give up on a gy after one season, especially considering it was a rookie season. also, it was a season with a patch-work defense as well. one that saw a team hit a wall after the half way mark, especially on defense. i say give the very young man a chance to learn how to be a player, then lets judge him from there.

Dean
04-06-2010, 06:12 AM
i fully agree nomad. i dont understant how anyone could give up on a gy after one season, especially considering it was a rookie season.

When a player is first round pick more is expected from him. You don't use a first round pick on a develpemental player. Through no fault of his own he was a first round pick that was passed up on the depth chart by an undrafted free agent who was also a rookie. Waranted or not he is going to take some heat.

also, it was a season with a patch-work defense as well. one that saw a team hit a wall after the half way mark, especially on defense. i say give the very young man a chance to learn how to be a player, then lets judge him from there.

The defense carried the offense through the first half of the season. The offense was offensive through it all.

Nomad
04-06-2010, 06:39 AM
When a player is first round pick more is expected from him. You don't use a first round pick on a develpemental player. Through no fault of his own he was a first round pick that was passed up on the depth chart by an undrafted free agent who was also a rookie. Waranted or not he is going to take some heat.

The defense carried the offense through the first half of the season. The offense was offensive through it all.

I would hope this same standard in held on all players coming out of the 1st round because I'd buy into it, which it is not! They're not a developmental player like you would think a 6th rd pick would be but there is some transitions from college to the NFL (which I'm sure you know). But you can not completely write off Smith like some people are doing here! If this is the case then I consider Cutler a bust as a first rounder and was a waste and should have been a 3rd or 4th rd......que in the excuses!!:coffee:

broncofaninfla
04-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm more optimistic with Ayers than I am with Moreno at this point but hopeful both can step up and be the players Denver needs them to be. A. Smith needs to learn how to be a pro, stay out of the clubs at night and commit to being a pro. McBath showed signs of being a stud and Bruton was a solid special teams player. I saw nothing from Quinn to have any sort of optimism for him just yet and ready to see what we have in Brandstater.

CoachChaz
04-06-2010, 08:35 AM

People use 1st round pick on guys they dont expect to start ALL the time. Think Pittsburgh needs Mendenhall or Timmons to come in and start right away? But sticking with DB's...how much of a difference did Jenkins make for the Saints last year? How about Mike Jenkins rookie year in Dallas?

The list could go on and on. No one can say that every 1st round pick is expected to contribute IMMEDIATELY. That's just not even smart to do from a personnel standpoint