PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Williams will move to weakside LB

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=90012

Broncos' D.J. Williams ready for move to weakside linebacker

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - D.J. Williams is used to moving around the Denver Broncos defense, but he hopes his latest move is his last.

Williams has played all three linebacker positions during his four-year career, and for 2008, he's going from middle linebacker back to weak side -- a position he played through college and in his rookie year of 2004.

Switching positions has been an every-year occurrence for Williams, but that doesn't mean it's been easy. Still, he knows that making the team better is priority one, even if it's not the best move personally.

Williams' size of 6-foot-1 and 242 pounds has made him a versatile guy in the Denver defense.

He moved to strong-side linebacker his second year, back to weak side in his third year, and last year he moved to the middle.

He says his strongest position is weak side, but by moving around he's made himself a valuable player.

NameUsedBefore
04-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Awesome. I can only hope we pick up a MLB in the draft, preferably early (I wouldn't even mind 1st round if the value is there; but I think LB is a bigger problem than a lot of people give it).

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Goodbye when your contract is up, Mr. Williams.

Nature Boy
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM

What makes you say that? He's one of the upper echelon LBs in the league just coming into his prime. The Broncos will pay him. No point in using your 1st rounder on a guy, then school him up to be a pro-bowler and let him walk once his rookie contract is up. DJ was one of the rare hits the Broncos have made in our recent drafts the last decade.

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
This is hardly news.

Williams is a natural WLB. His move there is in no way a demotion and in no way reflects poorly on the Denver's feelings about his skill set.

Many a great MLB's would have been average WLB's, and vice versa. Each linebacker position is unique in that each requires a different mix of abilities.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
What makes you say that? He's one of the upper echelon LBs in the league just coming into his prime. The Broncos will pay him. No point in using your 1st rounder on a guy, then school him up to be a pro-bowler and let him walk once his rookie contract is up. DJ was one of the rare hits the Broncos have made in our recent drafts the last decade.

Williams isn't an upper echelon linebacker. [Lots of tackles doesn't mean that.] Secondly, of course it doesn't make sense to let him go, but it hasn't stopped the Broncos before, has it? He's been an above average linebacker. I honestly feel sorry for him. His mental ability to do well in the NFL was challenged immediately after leaving Miami and he's had to learn all three positions in the NFL.

The Broncos biggest mistake in my opinion over the past few years was bringing back Ian Gold and making Williams move. I think had Williams got to play his whole career at LB; we'd see a special player, but he's a guy right now with versatility who doesn't really have a home. What's even more concerning is that under Slowik, he'll blitz more and we'll need DJ to be in pass coverage. Those are things he struggles with and has always struggled with.

Jack of all trades, WYSIWYG. Williams is a fantastic athlete but his lack of mental aptitude for the game has held him back quite a bit. (I'm not just making this crap up; you can go and look at his draft profile and even see comments from Bates and Shanahan showing how slow he was to pick up the system and understand his responsibilities at MIKE.)

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
That's ridiculous. Williams is a budding superstar and a phenomenal player.

Nature Boy
04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Williams isn't an upper echelon linebacker. [Lots of tackles doesn't mean that.] Secondly, of course it doesn't make sense to let him go, but it hasn't stopped the Broncos before, has it? He's been an above average linebacker. I honestly feel sorry for him. His mental ability to do well in the NFL was challenged immediately after leaving Miami and he's had to learn all three positions in the NFL.

The Broncos biggest mistake in my opinion over the past few years was bringing back Ian Gold and making Williams move. I think had Williams got to play his whole career at LB; we'd see a special player, but he's a guy right now with versatility who doesn't really have a home. What's even more concerning is that under Slowik, he'll blitz more and we'll need DJ to be in pass coverage. Those are things he struggles with and has always struggled with.

Jack of all trades, WYSIWYG. Williams is a fantastic athlete but his lack of mental aptitude for the game has held him back quite a bit. (I'm not just making this crap up; you can go and look at his draft profile and even see comments from Bates and Shanahan showing how slow he was to pick up the system and understand his responsibilities at MIKE.)

I think most everyone would disagree with you. In fact, you are totally wrong in your assessment of DJ Williams. DJ is one of the better, younger, upper echelon LBs in the league. 2nd in tackles behind only that "phenom" in SF, Patrick Willis.

Yes he struggled early in the season last year, but don't forget it's his 1st year ever in the position playing in a entirely new scheme where the whole defense struggled especially lining up behind a bunch of inadequate DTs.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Of course most people would disagree because they're the same people who use tackles as a basis for how good a player is in the NFL. It's too bad, that's not how an actual quality assessment of a player works. Williams is not a budding superstar or an excellent professional linebacker. He's an above-average linebacker with phenomenal athletic skills, but lacks the mental aptitude to be a top linebacker in the NFL. Had he actually had the time to learn strictly the weakside position at the NFL level and all that goes along with it; I think he'd be a great linebacker in the league right now. Too bad that wasn't and isn't the case; and Williams progression as an NFL player has suffered due in part.

I'm a Williams fan, I'm rooting for him -- but I'm not going to take the Kool-Aid on this one. He's an extremely gifted linebacker from a physical standpoint, it's just too bad that the game requires more than just braun. It's what we call brains, and that's something people have questioned in regards to Williams since college and even through his NFL career. Is it really that hard of a pill for people to swallow? There are a lot of players in the same boat as Williams being extremely gifted physically, but lacking the mental aspect of the game. That's just the way things are.

nevcraw
04-15-2008, 08:38 PM

What players in Williams echelon did the Broncos let go?
No offense but the part of this post where you call out his mental capacity IMO is pure speculative BS. Please share the quotes where any coach has negatively portrayed Williams in this way.

JONtheBRONCO
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM

Yup, the Broncos will indeed pay this man... If not, they're retards..

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
You don't need to have phenomenal intelligence to play WLB. It's the least versatile LB position which requires the fewest coverage skills. Having superior athleticism is what it takes to excel at this position.

As a cover man, Williams may never make the full transition to Nickel packages because he doesn't have the coverage skills he needs. Maybe he got those last year in the middle? We'll see. I don't think so.

Still, when utilized correctly, D.J. is a great weapon for our defense. I too disagreed with shifting Williams to the middle. I think the argument that it possibly delayed his development is well founded. But he's not a broken player. That's a bootless claim.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Uh, well your question is determinative on your belief that Williams is an upper echelon player in the NFL.

The Denver Broncos have had a nasty habit of letting players walk. It's one of the reasons that we only have 13 draft choices on the team. Sure, some of them flat out sucked; but we've let some solid players walk as well. That was my point, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised (and for a variety of other reasons) that Williams will probably walk when his contract is up. People seem to think it's all about what the team does as well. There's more to it than that.

No offense but the part of this post where you call out his mental capacity IMO is pure speculative BS. Please share the quotes where any coach has negatively portrayed Williams in this way.

Oh, it's out there. It's not speculative BS. He's had questions around his mental ability to succeed in the NFL since college. It was listed on almost every major scouting report and by almost every critique given to him upon leaving Miami. I guess you didn't pay attention to Shanahan and Bates in regards to his slow progression at adjusting to MIKE this past season? Why in the Hell do you think he's moving back to WILL?

Here's a hint: He doesn't have the ______ capacity to play MIKE at a high level.

The word that goes in the blank starts with "M" and ends in "ental." You put two and two together.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I think the argument that it possibly delayed his development is well founded. But he's not a broken player. That's a bootless claim.

Not once did I state he was a "broken" player. I disagreed with the claims that he was a top notch linebacker and stated he lacks the mental capacity needed to ascend to being one of the top linebackers in the league. There's a huge difference. Top notch linebackers get named to Pro-Bowl's and get post-season honors. Williams has never been to the Pro-Bowl; so I fail to see where he's one of the league's best. Then again, I do have problems with the Pro-Bowl selection process and the "name based recognition" that gets players put in their automatically; but Williams is far from being a upper echelon linebacker in the NFL.

I don't see on any level of football analysis how you can put Williams' name aside the likes of Urlacher, Merriman, Bulluck, Thomas and Briggs. If there's a good argument out there by anyone to show such, I'd love to hear it.

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
You're a little short on facts there.

The only top-shelf players I recall Denver allowing to walk were:

1) Ian Gold--ridiculously overpaid to go to Tampa. He came crawling back.
2) Trevor Pryce--cap casualty.
3) Bertrand Berry--a speed rusher who got paid huge money to be very average now that he's lost a step.
4) Reggie Hayward--same story as Bertrand Berry.

Who am I missing here? Deltha O'Neal? Willie Middlebrooks? Myers? Putzier? Al Wilson? Desmond Clark? Brian Griese?

You gonna criticize Denver for letting any of these guys walk? Enlighten me.

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Not once did I state he was a "broken" player. I disagreed with the claims that he was a top notch linebacker and stated he lacks the mental capacity needed to ascend to being one of the top linebackers in the league. There's a huge difference. Top notch linebackers get named to Pro-Bowl's and get post-season honors. Williams has never been to the Pro-Bowl; so I fail to see where he's one of the league's best. Then again, I do have problems with the Pro-Bowl selection process and the "name based recognition" that gets players put in their automatically; but Williams is far from being a upper echelon linebacker in the NFL.

He's already one of the top WLB in the league. He'll never be Ray Lewis, but last time I checked Derrick Brooks had a pretty good career. WLB isn't a worse position, its just different. Williams isn't a MLB; never has been, never will be. Denver had a personnel problem and they solved it in a way that set Williams up for failure.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM

3) Bertrand Berry--a speed rusher who got paid huge money to be very average now that he's lost a step.

Who am I missing here? Deltha O'Neal? Willie Middlebrooks? Myers? Putzier? Al Wilson? Desmond Clark? Brian Griese?

I never said top shelf players, I said Denver has let some good players walk once their contracts were up. You've already named a few, and I'm not talking about players they "cut." I'm talking about players they've drafted who have had some good success here, who they let walk upon their contract(s) expiring. No, sorry -- I'm not a little short on facts at all; however I'd be glad to enjoy spirited debate after ya'll stop playing on semantics to help you out considering the grasping at straws technique regarding Williams' value in the NFL failed miserably.

r8rh8r
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Shanahan on moving Williams to MLB:

"D.J. has played outside linebacker his whole career, so you really never know until probably the regular season starts exactly how comfortable or natural it's going to be for him," Shanahan said Monday.

While applauding the effort of Williams and rooting for him to succeed, Shanahan indicated the Broncos would refuse to let the defense fail if middle linebacker does not suit Williams.

"It's always easy when you've played outside linebacker your whole career, to move back outside. You can always put somebody inside. So those possibilities are always there," Shanahan said.

I'd say he held up pretty well, all these considered (e.g. no DT support).

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess this does mean that Niko is going to a shot at playing Mike for us.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
He's already one of the top WLB in the league.

According to who? Broncos fans? I'm sorry, but I'm willing to bet most league GM's and scouts who actually evaluate the talent in the NFL don't feel the same way. Oh, and by the way -- PFW actually does interview these people and puts those sort of rankings out there. Keep grasping at straws. It went from "upper echelon linebacker in the NFL" and a "budding superstar" to now "well, he's a top WLB in the league." What's next?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd say he held up pretty well, all these considered (e.g. no DT support).

I think he did an admirable job, but like I said -- I disagreed with the assessment by multiple personalities in this thread that he was "bomb."

honz
04-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Dream is delusional and clearly has a personal vendetta with DJ.:coffee:

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:00 PM

I don't know if he's delusional however, I don't think he's correct either.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Williams mental aptitude (lack of) is a fact. If you guys want to make a case for DJ Williams being a top linebacker in the league or a top weakside linebacker in the league. Make it. The burden of proof is on you.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Williams mental aptitude (lack of) is a fact. If you guys want to make a case for DJ Williams being a top linebacker in the league or a top weakside linebacker in the league. Make it. The burden of proof is on you.

You saying it's fact doesn't make it a fact. So no the burden of proof is actually on you.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 10:35 PM
You saying it's fact doesn't make it a fact. So no the burden of proof is actually on you.

Here's a question because I'm going to enjoy where it'll head. Outside DJ Williams being a "better fit" for the WILL position, why do you think he isn't our inside linebacker for next season?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2008, 10:36 PM

This is getting close to a personal attack on a member.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Here's a question because I'm going to enjoy where it'll head. Outside DJ Williams being a "better fit" for the WILL position, why do you think he isn't our inside linebacker for next season?

You said it's established fact prove it.

turftoad
04-15-2008, 10:39 PM

It's also getting very close to baiting.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 10:41 PM
You said it's established fact prove it.

Why don't you answer my question regarding Williams not being our middle linebacker next year? Clearly he has the physical skills necessary to dominate at the position. Why would he be replaced by a career back-up at MIKE if it were not for his lack of mental aptitude and play recognition as outlined by Jim Bates in the pre-season and during camp last year?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
It's also getting very close to baiting.

Actually, it's an honest football question since this thread is about DJ Williams. Clearly, he has the physical tools to dominate in the NFL. It's his mental game that's holding him back. (Scouting reports, Jim Bates on record, Mike Shanahan on record regarding his slow system learning, etc.) I'm just curious as to why he was moved from MIKE if that wasn't the case.

honz
04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
This is getting close to a personal attack on a member.
I didn't actually mean he is delusional...

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Why don't you answer my question regarding Williams not being our middle linebacker next year? Clearly he has the physical skills necessary to dominate at the position. Why would he be replaced by a career back-up at MIKE if it were not for his lack of mental aptitude and play recognition as outlined by Jim Bates in the pre-season and during camp last year?

Lay out some hard facts and then answer your question. If you wont the conversation is over.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
He'll be a stud again at WILL. Boss will do OK at SAM. I like what the Seahawk fans have to say about Niko, but I still want Mayo for the MIKE.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
He'll be a stud again at WILL. Boss will do OK at SAM. I like what the Seahawk fans have to say about Niko, but I still want Mayo for the MIKE.

This could be interesting, because I have always liked Mayo with Mustard. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Lay out some hard facts and then answer your question. If you wont the conversation is over.

If the various Denver Broncos articles on their main website, the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News quoting Bates' and Shanahan's concerns about Williams slow progression to adapt to the MIKE position last off-season and in training camp; coupled with the various scouting reports (which you can Google) stating his "needed" improvement in the areas of play recognition and all things related to the mental aspect of football aren't considered articulable facts, I don't know what are.

For example: (From TSN's War Room Scouts)

Needs to improve his recognition ability. Will overrun some plays, gets caught peeking in the backfield and takes too many false steps on play-action fakes.

I'm fairly certain that relates to the mental aspect of football.

Here's another, which has been quoted in a bunch of other profiles:

He also tends to overpursue at times and needs to improve his play recognition.

Additionally, from the ESPN Scouts:

He still needs to work on his play in space when in zone coverage. He often comes off the field when the Broncos go to five defensive backs as he can look a bit confused when trying to read routes or the quarterbacks eyes, though he does have the speed and athleticism to stay with tight ends down the seam or underneath.

Like I said, had DJ Williams had the mental capacity to stay at MIKE; he would have. There is nothing wrong with Williams physically, that's certainly not the reason he hasn't lived up to his billing thus far. Obviously, he's had a hard time coming into his own because he's had to learn three positions. Learning those positions is related to football intelligence.

Sometimes the truth is a hard pill to swallow.

omac
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Let's see how DJ does this season before calling him average or above average, or even one of the best up and coming. Tough to judge a guy who's been moved around too much for him to grow his roots.

WARHORSE
04-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Of course most people would disagree because they're the same people who use tackles as a basis for how good a player is in the NFL. It's too bad, that's not how an actual quality assessment of a player works. Williams is not a budding superstar or an excellent professional linebacker. He's an above-average linebacker with phenomenal athletic skills, but lacks the mental aptitude to be a top linebacker in the NFL. Had he actually had the time to learn strictly the weakside position at the NFL level and all that goes along with it; I think he'd be a great linebacker in the league right now. Too bad that wasn't and isn't the case; and Williams progression as an NFL player has suffered due in part.

I'm a Williams fan, I'm rooting for him -- but I'm not going to take the Kool-Aid on this one. He's an extremely gifted linebacker from a physical standpoint, it's just too bad that the game requires more than just braun. It's what we call brains, and that's something people have questioned in regards to Williams since college and even through his NFL career. Is it really that hard of a pill for people to swallow? There are a lot of players in the same boat as Williams being extremely gifted physically, but lacking the mental aspect of the game. That's just the way things are.

Yes. I hate to admit it, but DJ is only slightly lacking in good playmaking instincts. He is a hard hitting, tough hombre who will lay it on the line, but if he were going to be a real difference maker, he already would have been one.

Unfortunate.

But true.:coffee:

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Yes. I hate to admit it, but DJ is only slightly lacking in good playmaking instincts. He is a hard hitting, tough hombre who will lay it on the line, but if he were going to be a real difference maker, he already would have been one.

Unfortunate.

But true.:coffee:

Difference maker? Not even Ray Lewis in his prime 7-8 years ago would have made a difference for the Broncos defense the last year. Considering that DJ is the only LB still on the starting line up from 4 seasons ago since he was a rook, and that he's anchored all 3 positions from start to finish every season he played that spot, I think he's made a difference on this team.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 06:38 AM

I never said top shelf players, I said Denver has let some good players walk once their contracts were up. You've already named a few, and I'm not talking about players they "cut." I'm talking about players they've drafted who have had some good success here, who they let walk upon their contract(s) expiring. No, sorry -- I'm not a little short on facts at all; however I'd be glad to enjoy spirited debate after ya'll stop playing on semantics to help you out considering the grasping at straws technique regarding Williams' value in the NFL failed miserably.

Now who exactly are these players that Dream is talking about that are in the caliber that DJ is in? He hasn't named one.

Gold? perhaps at 1 point, but we got him back.

Pryce? He was too old and cost too much when we let him go.

As far as Hayward and Berry? both were over rated and overpaid by their welcoming paying teams.

Who else?

I did think Ruben Droughns should have been signed cause he was versatile, but the Browns didn't do much with him after his initial year there. I hated to see Portis go but we got Champ for him. Who else in the last few years that mattered?

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
What is Dream talking about or what exactly is he expecting from a player? DJ is an upper echelon, pro bowl caliber player who is a budding super star LB who can play and start at all 3 LB positions. He is correct that DJ's growth in the league has been hampered by his unusual circumstance to have to move back and forth but DJ is no JoeBlow that Dream has painted him to be who will be release to the open market once his contract is up.

DJ will in fact excel in his natural WLB position and the team will without a doubt extend his contract by the end of this yr or the next.

Outside of Champ Bailey and John Lynch, I don't think anyone has made more of an impact on the Broncos defense than D.J. Williams for 4 years straight, 2004-2007.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Difference maker? Not even Ray Lewis in his prime 7-8 years ago would have made a difference for the Broncos defense the last year.

I think you make a good point Nature Boy. Our defensive line has even made Champ look pedestrian at times. A good defense starts in the trenches, and that's our weakness. It's hard to judge the rest of the defense when the line of scrimage is being dominated by the other team most of the game.

I'm giving DJ a clean slate. He's played most of his pro career out of position. Let's see what he can do in his natural spot on the defense. That is, if our D-line improves. If not, the only players that are going to look good on Sundays are the ones with the other uniforms.

nevcraw
04-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Uh, well your question is determinative on your belief that Williams is an upper echelon player in the NFL.

The Denver Broncos have had a nasty habit of letting players walk. It's one of the reasons that we only have 13 draft choices on the team. Sure, some of them flat out sucked; but we've let some solid players walk as well. That was my point, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised (and for a variety of other reasons) that Williams will probably walk when his contract is up. People seem to think it's all about what the team does as well. There's more to it than that.

Oh, it's out there. It's not speculative BS. He's had questions around his mental ability to succeed in the NFL since college. It was listed on almost every major scouting report and by almost every critique given to him upon leaving Miami. I guess you didn't pay attention to Shanahan and Bates in regards to his slow progression at adjusting to MIKE this past season? Why in the Hell do you think he's moving back to WILL?

Here's a hint: He doesn't have the ______ capacity to play MIKE at a high level.

The word that goes in the blank starts with "M" and ends in "ental." You put two and two together.

I purposely left out "upper" just to see what names you would name.. and you gave me nothing..
The Broncos do not let guys go that they project as cornerstones to their team. There a couple of guys they let go b/c the asking price was ridiculous. see: Berry, Hayward and Gold.
Williams has moved all over the LB map b/c he's the best they have, and versatile not b/c he's a mental midget. The would like him to be at WILL so that he can dominate, not spend another year learning @ MLB.
You could pull the same scouting report on almost every LB in the league.. Certainly no revelations there.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
If the NFL allowed advertising on uniforms, a la the stock-car set, D.J. Williams would be a shoo-in for a U-Haul patch on his jersey.

The Broncos' roaming linebacker played the weak side as a rookie in 2004, switched between weak and strong the next year, returned to weak side his third year and manned the middle in 2007. Now, he's back at the weak side again.

"Sometimes you do things that are best for the team and it's not best for you," Williams told a small media gathering Tuesday in his first public comments this offseason. "I feel like if I played one position all four years, I could probably be the top guy at my position or one of the top guys at the weak-side position. Changing every year kind of stunts your growth.

"But at the same time, I've got knowledge."

Williams also noted he understands the reasoning behind each of his moves, even while he admitted, "I haven't been happy about the movement."

"I already feel like a little knock-around guy, like hey, we can put him here, we can throw him there. But just as long as I was successful at the position. The only position I didn't like playing was 'Sam' (strong side). I hated 'Sam.' But the thing about that is I had the size to play 'Sam.' "

The latest switch comes after the Broncos acquired in free agency Boss Bailey to man the strong side and Niko Koutouvides the middle, while releasing incumbent weak-side starter Ian Gold.

Williams was "surprised" he was returning to weak side, especially after his 141 tackles ranked second in the NFL last season behind San Francisco's Patrick Willis.

"I enjoyed playing 'Mike' last year. I had fun. I thought I caught on well at the end," he said.

But when the roster flux began, it became clear he'd be shifting again.

"The team decided to move me back to 'Will,' so that's what I'm doing," he said.

Williams feels he can adjust again, especially this time because he considers weak side the easiest of the three linebacker spots and he's most experienced there, dating to his days at the University of Miami.

Truth be told, though, it's his fervent hope he can stay put.

In 2004, Williams was third behind the New York Jets' Jonathan Vilma and the Houston Texans' Dunta Robinson for defensive rookie of the year honors before Gold's reacquisition sent him on his merry, and sometimes not so merry, way.

"If I would have played 'Will' every year here, this would be my ninth year playing 'Will' because I played it all through college," he said. "A lot of things come second nature. But at the same time, the fact that I changed a lot of positions, it puts your value up. You're a guy who can be put anywhere."

And there figure to be teams interested in Williams when he's set to hit the open market after this season. His 2009 contract year already has been voided based on reaching playing-time benchmarks.

Williams stressed his consistent shifts in Denver on the playing field don't mean another move in the future - this one out of town.

"I like the organization. I like the city. I love how coach (Mike) Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically, the offseason program," Williams said. "Everybody around the facility, I like everybody."

lex
04-16-2008, 09:37 AM
If the NFL allowed advertising on uniforms, a la the stock-car set, D.J. Williams would be a shoo-in for a U-Haul patch on his jersey.

The Broncos' roaming linebacker played the weak side as a rookie in 2004, switched between weak and strong the next year, returned to weak side his third year and manned the middle in 2007. Now, he's back at the weak side again.

"Sometimes you do things that are best for the team and it's not best for you," Williams told a small media gathering Tuesday in his first public comments this offseason. "I feel like if I played one position all four years, I could probably be the top guy at my position or one of the top guys at the weak-side position. Changing every year kind of stunts your growth.

"But at the same time, I've got knowledge."

Williams also noted he understands the reasoning behind each of his moves, even while he admitted, "I haven't been happy about the movement."

"I already feel like a little knock-around guy, like hey, we can put him here, we can throw him there. But just as long as I was successful at the position. The only position I didn't like playing was 'Sam' (strong side). I hated 'Sam.' But the thing about that is I had the size to play 'Sam.' "

The latest switch comes after the Broncos acquired in free agency Boss Bailey to man the strong side and Niko Koutouvides the middle, while releasing incumbent weak-side starter Ian Gold.

Williams was "surprised" he was returning to weak side, especially after his 141 tackles ranked second in the NFL last season behind San Francisco's Patrick Willis.

"I enjoyed playing 'Mike' last year. I had fun. I thought I caught on well at the end," he said.

But when the roster flux began, it became clear he'd be shifting again.

"The team decided to move me back to 'Will,' so that's what I'm doing," he said.

Williams feels he can adjust again, especially this time because he considers weak side the easiest of the three linebacker spots and he's most experienced there, dating to his days at the University of Miami.

Truth be told, though, it's his fervent hope he can stay put.

In 2004, Williams was third behind the New York Jets' Jonathan Vilma and the Houston Texans' Dunta Robinson for defensive rookie of the year honors before Gold's reacquisition sent him on his merry, and sometimes not so merry, way.

"If I would have played 'Will' every year here, this would be my ninth year playing 'Will' because I played it all through college," he said. "A lot of things come second nature. But at the same time, the fact that I changed a lot of positions, it puts your value up. You're a guy who can be put anywhere."

And there figure to be teams interested in Williams when he's set to hit the open market after this season. His 2009 contract year already has been voided based on reaching playing-time benchmarks.

Williams stressed his consistent shifts in Denver on the playing field don't mean another move in the future - this one out of town.

"I like the organization. I like the city. I love how coach (Mike) Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically, the offseason program," Williams said. "Everybody around the facility, I like everybody."

Lets not even talk about this.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM

Does this mean he'll be a restricted or an unrestricted free agent?

He'll be playing on his contract year, in his best natural position. He will make the Pro Bowl this year and he'll demand major bucks.

I vote that the Broncos work on a contract to keep DJ in Denver right now before the season starts. Some team might try lure him away with cash the Broncos can't keep with.

topscribe
04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
If the various Denver Broncos articles on their main website, the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News quoting Bates' and Shanahan's concerns about Williams slow progression to adapt to the MIKE position last off-season and in training camp; coupled with the various scouting reports (which you can Google) stating his "needed" improvement in the areas of play recognition and all things related to the mental aspect of football aren't considered articulable facts, I don't know what are.

Like I said, had DJ Williams had the mental capacity to stay at MIKE; he would have. There is nothing wrong with Williams physically, that's certainly not the reason he hasn't lived up to his billing thus far. Obviously, he's had a hard time coming into his own because he's had to learn three positions. Learning those positions is related to football intelligence.

I don't buy that. I do not believe any of D.J.'s moves have been because
someone else was better at his previous position. D.J. was a better Will
than Gold from the start, borne out by his stats as a rookie being similar to
Gold's as a veteran. It was just that D.J. could play Sam considerably
better than Gold.

When D.J. was moved to Mike, it was because he was far better there than
anyone else on Denver's roster, and it is a more important position than
Sam.

Now, D.J. is going back to Will because (1) it is his natural position, (2) no
one on Denver's roster is even in D.J.'s league at Will, and (3) the Broncos
are apparently satisfied they have a competent player at Mike in Niko,
judging from Niko's contract.

I don't believe anyone can honestly say that Niko is a better Mike than
what D.J. could be, but it is obvious that Niko couldn't play Will at D.J.'s
level.

So, again, D.J. has been moved because of his talent, not because of any
deficiencies.

IMHO.

-----

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Agreed, I don't think anyone is buying what Dream is saying. Anyone can find some kind of criticisms of any player thru-out a players entire career going as far back as their senior year in HS. I bet of I look hard enough, I'll find something negative of Ladanian Tomlinson as he finished his last yr in College.

topscribe
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Agreed, I don't think anyone is buying what Dream is saying. Anyone can find some kind of criticisms of any player thru-out a players entire career going as far back as their senior year in HS. I bet of I look hard enough, I'll find something negative of Ladanian Tomlinson as he finished his last yr in College.

Just to make myself clear, my comment was not about Dream but about an issue he was discussing.

-----

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Me too.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Agreed, I don't think anyone is buying what Dream is saying.

I wouldn't expect people to "buy" into the harsh reality that Williams struggles immensely in the mental aspect of the game. That's something most don't want to hear, but I think it's quite obvious given the quotes from the coaches during the pre-season and throughout his college and respective NFL scouting reports done by professionals who earn their living by doing such.

I mean seriously? What do you think separates the good ones from the great ones? The mental aspect of the game. Everyone in the NFL physically fits the bill otherwise they wouldn't be here. It's that mental aspect of the game that separates the tiers in the NFL. Whether it's taking the time to study film or being able to recognize coverages, or gap responsibilities - there is a reason a premium is placed on player with the mental capacity to succeed in the NFL and that's the very reason that they are tested.

You're free to believe what you want; but I'll side on the opinions of coaches and scouts who get paid to do what they do for a living and live up to their talent assessments as professionals rather than side with the biased opinions of fans who have a hard time evaluating players on their own team in a critical nature.

Come on now, "DJ is more of a fit at WILL than he is at MIKE." -- Obviously, because there is less thinking associated with the WILL position. Go out there and roam. The MIKE position is far more different; and regardless of the tackles he put up - the team felt compelled to replace him with a career back-up and switch him to WILL.

This is the thing that nobody here will be able to explain. This draft is PRIME with weakside talent. Talent comparable to Williams upon entering the draft and the number of players capable of playing it successfully are ten deep. It's a position that players come in right away and play at an extremely high level. (I don't think I need to provide examples, the players speak for themselves.)

If the staff didn't have reservations regarding Williams ability (mentally) to hold up at MIKE, they could have just kept them there and drafted a weakside talent to put the best players on the field. (I have a hard time buying that Koutouvides will be that guy at MIKE.) However that's not the case, and it doesn't seem like the Broncos were quite pleased with his play at MIKE and he was moved due in part.

Williams' problem isn't a physical deficiency; it's a mental one. If that wasn't the case -- I'd assume he'd be one of the best linebackers in the game right now. As I have mentioned, he's played all three positions in his four years on the team. It's extremely difficult to learn new positions. He didn't excel at SAM; and he really didn't excel at MIKE. He's a natural fit at WILL because it does indeed involve less thinking, and more than anything -- (pending the scheme; but we can talk scheme responsibilities in another thread) he would have less responsibilities.

I like D.J., I'm extremely glad he's on our team. However, I'm not going to lie to myself and say the guy is a mental genius, cause it is as clear as day that he is not. A lot of players in the NFL struggle mentally, it's not some new "fad" I'm throwing at DJ. There are a long, long list of players who fail because of not having the mental tick to succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying D.J. has failed, but I certainly think his mental struggles have had an impact on his ascension to being a top linebacker in this league.

Certainly my opinion, but an opinion that has been backed up for years from his days at Miami and now in Denver.

Now, I'm still waiting on that comparative case to show that Williams is one of the best linebackers in the league.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Man, the way you put it, you make it sound as though DJ has a wooden knot on his head and he belongs in the Special Olympics or something. If he really is as dumb as you think he is, he must be the fastest, most physically gifted person to ever play football. Kinda like Super Man but was dropped on his head 1 too many times when he was a kid.

Come on, the guy play all 3 LB positions in 3-4 years, at a high level too and this is the NFL. I think that requires some smarts, don't you?

Aside from Champ Bailey, I think DJ was the only other really true bright spot on that Denver Defense last season.

topscribe
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't expect people to "buy" into the harsh reality that Williams struggles immensely in the mental aspect of the game. That's something most don't want to hear, but I think it's quite obvious given the quotes from the coaches during the pre-season and throughout his college and respective NFL scouting reports done by professionals who earn their living by doing such.

I mean seriously? What do you think separates the good ones from the great ones? The mental aspect of the game. Everyone in the NFL physically fits the bill otherwise they wouldn't be here. It's that mental aspect of the game that separates the tiers in the NFL. Whether it's taking the time to study film or being able to recognize coverages, or gap responsibilities - there is a reason a premium is placed on player with the mental capacity to succeed in the NFL and that's the very reason that they are tested.

You're free to believe what you want; but I'll side on the opinions of coaches and scouts who get paid to do what they do for a living and live up to their talent assessments as professionals rather than side with the biased opinions of fans who have a hard time evaluating players on their own team in a critical nature.

Come on now, "DJ is more of a fit at WILL than he is at MIKE." -- Obviously, because there is less thinking associated with the WILL position. Go out there and roam. The MIKE position is far more different; and regardless of the tackles he put up - the team felt compelled to replace him with a career back-up and switch him to WILL.

This is the thing that nobody here will be able to explain. This draft is PRIME with weakside talent. Talent comparable to Williams upon entering the draft and the number of players capable of playing it successfully are ten deep. It's a position that players come in right away and play at an extremely high level. (I don't think I need to provide examples, the players speak for themselves.)

If the staff didn't have reservations regarding Williams ability (mentally) to hold up at MIKE, they could have just kept them there and drafted a weakside talent to put the best players on the field. (I have a hard time buying that Koutouvides will be that guy at MIKE.) However that's not the case, and it doesn't seem like the Broncos were quite pleased with his play at MIKE and he was moved due in part.

Williams' problem isn't a physical deficiency; it's a mental one. If that wasn't the case -- I'd assume he'd be one of the best linebackers in the game right now. As I have mentioned, he's played all three positions in his four years on the team. It's extremely difficult to learn new positions. He didn't excel at SAM; and he really didn't excel at MIKE. He's a natural fit at WILL because it does indeed involve less thinking, and more than anything -- (pending the scheme; but we can talk scheme responsibilities in another thread) he would have less responsibilities.

I like D.J., I'm extremely glad he's on our team. However, I'm not going to lie to myself and say the guy is a mental genius, cause it is as clear as day that he is not. A lot of players in the NFL struggle mentally, it's not some new "fad" I'm throwing at DJ. There are a long, long list of players who fail because of not having the mental tick to succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying D.J. has failed, but I certainly think his mental struggles have had an impact on his ascension to being a top linebacker in this league.

Certainly my opinion, but an opinion that has been backed up for years from his days at Miami and now in Denver.

Now, I'm still waiting on that comparative case to show that Williams is one of the best linebackers in the league.

I agree and disagree. Yes, I do believe D.J.struggled in the mental aspect
as Mike. However, I attribute that to his never having played there before,
more than to any cognitive deficiencies.

In fact, I read an article where Jim Bates was talking about how smart D.J.
is. He said that, when they watched films, D.J. was able to explain things
before Bates could explain them to him.

D.J. would be one of the best linebackers in the game right now, simply if
he had played the same position all these years.

I agree with you that D.J. will have greater success at Will, but it isn't
because of smarts or the lack of them, IMO.

-----

r8rh8r
04-16-2008, 04:21 PM

You still haven't given us any of these many quotes about Williams' deficiencies that you are relying upon.

To say that someone is a better fit at WLB than at MLB is not necessarily social commentary on their mental capacity. MLB is definitely the more cerebral of the two, but not every great MLB is a great WLB. They are two distinctly different positions.

The fact that D.J. has the size, athleticism, and work ethic to play all three LB positions in his short career is a credit to his uniqueness and versatility.

If your logic is correct then no WLB should ever be considered for the hall of fame because, if they were really that good, they'd have played a "better" position like MLB. Like I said before, bootless.

Show me one Broncos coach or professional analyst who echoes your sentiment. Go ahead.

r8rh8r
04-16-2008, 04:32 PM
D.J. has been a journeyman positionally because he's been the only serviceable option Denver had at all three positions. At a position that has seen tons of turnover, Williams is the unsung hero of our defense since he joined the team.

Remember when we had a young Ian Gold, Al Wilson, and John Mobley? Those were the days. If we can find a solid MLB I think we are on the verge of another dominant LB core.

In hindsight, I think we may praise Shanahan for moving D.J. to MLB for a year when its all said and done. D.J. needed to develop his awareness in the passing game and hone his skills in coverage. He looked like he was finally "getting it" in coverage the last couple of home games last year. No one expects D.J. to blossom into an elite pass defender, but he's likely earned the starting job at the nickel--a package which missed his athleticism in 2006 because of these very deficiencies.

If Williams was such a dumbass, do you really think Shanahan would have had the temerity to put D.J. in the middle?

topscribe
04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
D.J. has been a journeyman positionally because he's been the only serviceable option Denver had at all three positions. At a position that has seen tons of turnover, Williams is the unsung hero of our defense since he joined the team.

Remember when we had a young Ian Gold, Al Wilson, and John Mobley? Those were the days. If we can find a solid MLB I think we are on the verge of another dominant LB core.

In hindsight, I think we may praise Shanahan for moving D.J. to MLB for a year when its all said and done. D.J. needed to develop his awareness in the passing game and hone his skills in coverage. He looked like he was finally "getting it" in coverage the last couple of home games last year. No one expects D.J. to blossom into an elite pass defender, but he's likely earned the starting job at the nickel--a package which missed his athleticism in 2006 because of these very deficiencies.

If Williams was such a dumbass, do you really think Shanahan would have had the temerity to put D.J. in the middle?

Dream was simply saying he felt that D.J.'s cognitive abilities didn't totally
measure up to the MLB position. I don't agree with Dream, but I don't think
he was going so far as to say D.J. is a "dumbass."

-----

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Dream was simply saying he felt that D.J.'s cognitive abilities didn't totally
measure up to the MLB position. I don't agree with Dream, but I don't think
he was going so far as to say D.J. is a "dumbass."

-----

Yea he did. read below.

If the staff didn't have reservations regarding Williams ability (mentally) to hold up at MIKE, they could have just kept them there and drafted a weakside talent to put the best players on the field... However that's not the case, and it doesn't seem like the Broncos were quite pleased with his play at MIKE and he was moved due in part.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-16-2008, 05:09 PM
You still haven't given us any of these many quotes about Williams' deficiencies that you are relying upon.

Show me one Broncos coach or professional analyst who echoes your sentiment. Go ahead.

I guess you missed the two professional scouting reports, along with the ESPN scouting report on his NFL progression that pointed out questions regarding his mental aspect of the game? I guess you didn't pay attention to what was said by Bates and Shanahan in the pre-season either as well?

This is like beating a dead horse. Until you actually make a case for D.J. Williams being an upper echelon linebacker (to do this you'd have to compare him to other linebackers as well; and please spare me the statistical analysis) this argument goes no further, because honestly -- it's not one worth arguing considering words get put in my mouth every time I post.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Yea he did. read below.

Uh, where did the word "dumbass" come up in any of my post? I love the grasping at straws and semantics theories you guys keep going with.

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Somebody please change the name of this thread to "Dream is smarter than DJ Williams." TIA.

topscribe
04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Despite my attempts at early intervention to prevent it, Dream is rapidly
becoming the issue here. Now, if you disagree with him, follow my example
and say so, and then document your argument. But do not make another
poster the topic here.

-----

r8rh8r
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Comment: Williams has been a starter for the Broncos pretty much since he first stepped on the field as a rookie in 2004. He has the size, speed, athleticism and strength to be a top linebacker and his production matches his tools. He can play on both the strong and weak sides. He is physical when taking on blockers and tackling and does a good job of using his hands. He rarely stays blocked for any length of time and has the motor to make plays to both sidelines as well as downfield. He is very effective as a blitzer and shows timing as well as a good burst to get upfield and pressure the quarterback. He still needs to work on his play in space when in zone coverage. He often comes off the field when the Broncos go to five defensive backs as he can look a bit confused when trying to read routes or the quarterbacks eyes, though he does have the speed and athleticism to stay with tight ends down the seam or underneath.

This scouting report (which you quoted one sentence from)? This one says D.J. lacks the intelligence to be an elite player in the NFL? It looks to me like this basically echoes what we've been claiming all along: that D.J. isn't elite in pass coverage. I don't see how this means he "lacks the mental capacity to be a great" WLB.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Uh, where did the word "dumbass" come up in any of my post? I love the grasping at straws and semantics theories you guys keep going with.

I find it quite funny. DJ played MLB for the 1st time in his career, probably not since PeeWee league. Considering it was a whole new scheme where the entire defense struggled to grasp. The best DT from the previous year in Gerard Warren was released in training camp, leaving him with a old 370lb fatty in Sam Adams, a rookie and a couple back up players to clogg up the front, yet DJ managed 2nd in the league in tackles and you're saying DJ was not a good MLB because he was not smart enough?

I don't think you would be able to say the same should DJ stay at MLB for a 2nd year. Reason DJ is going back to Will, isn't cause he can't play Mike, I say it's more cause DJ is an upgrade to Gold and would excel, utilizing his superior speed, improving the defense.

r8rh8r
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Here's ESPN's scouting report on Shawn Merriman:

Comment: Merriman very well could be the best and most disruptive defensive football player in the game today. He is massive, with an exceptional strong body for a 3-4 outside linebacker and probably could convert to defensive end in the 4-3 with little trouble. He is extremely powerful and explosive. He is relentless in pursuit, extremely competitive and obviously wants to be great, which he has already achieved at such a young age. He is an absolute terror coming off the edge as a pass rusher. Merriman makes some of the best pass blockers in the league look bad and offers a wide variety of pass rush moves. He can beat his opponent with speed and quickness or pure power. Against the run, Merriman is powerful at the point of attack and is much more than a tight end can handle. He also makes a lot of plays from behind in pursuit. He is an improving coverage player, but this is not the strength of his game and his ability to turn his hips and run is questionable. He has been suspended for violation of the league's substance abuse policy. This is a great player, who can change a game and must be accounted for on every snap.

Clearly, he's on his way out in San Diego. As you can see from the bolded section, he doesn't have the coverage skills to be a dominating defender.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/MerrimanBeforeAfter.jpg

http://www.profootballtalk.com/ThreeShawnes.jpg

2005, ....................................2006 Pre-Season, .....................................Nov. 2007

r8rh8r
04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
That first picture has been photoshopped badly. But this is very funny nonetheless.

Nature Boy
04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Merriman's initial sample, sample A came back positive around mid- Oct. 2006. Sample B came back positive about 1-2 weeks later.

Photoshopped or not, look at the shoulders. The top looks like he's wearing his shoulder pads. A big change in the angle from his neck to his shoulders.

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 07:40 PM

I know the truth is a hard pill to swallow especially for some of the young and naive.

tubby
04-16-2008, 09:47 PM
DJ sucked in the middle. Period.

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

I don't think so. Considering that he had no protection up front and that it was new position I think he did quite well.

tubby
04-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't think so. Considering that he had no protection up front and that it was new position I think did quite well.

ok. I disagree

Timmy!
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
DJ did ok in the middle, but is a BEAST on the weak side, period. Our LB corps is going to be much improved this season and with that, comes better run defense. Watch and see people.....

Lonestar
04-17-2008, 12:15 AM
ok. I disagree

Your have that right to do so..

He may not have been all world there but without ever playing MIKE, the change of schemes at the bye week, a total lack of support from the DLINE. I will just say he played better than many thought he would.

We can agree to disagree on this one..

But I think we can agree given some support by the DLINE this year he will be a better WIL than Mike.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Let me qualify this by saying, "Ray Lewis would have sucked behind our D-Line last year." I do, however, agree that D.J. Williams is poorly utilized at MLB. The position doesn't take advantage of his abilities. When he's shedding blocks in a phone booth and dropping back into pass coverage, D.J. isn't an elite player.

That doesn't mean that D.J. Williams is bust.

Oh, and Ray Lewis sucks, by the way:

Comment: Lewis is a future Hall of Famer who has been extremely productive throughout his outstanding career and is the leader of the most aggressive and physical defense in the NFL. He is a passionate leader with great charisma and energy for the game of football. He is a student of the game and works very hard both on and off the field. Lewis is tough as nails and it rubs off on his teammates. He excels in the big games. While he isn't a huge middle linebacker, he takes care of his body and is very well defined. He rarely leaves the field and is very productive against both the run and pass. He might be the most physical striker in the game today and is a fantastic tackler. In the run game, he is very decisive, takes near-perfect angles to the ball carrier and does not waste any time or motion. He still has very good range and makes a ton of plays in pursuit. He is quick, explosive and at his best as a downhill player. He has outstanding balance and is always in good football position with bent knees. He can take on or slip blocks and uses his hands to shed well. He is a fluid pass defender with quick hips. Lewis covers a lot of ground in his zone and is terrific at reading the quarterback and patterns in general. In man to man coverage, he is still above average, but as he ages, becomes less and less effective. He times his blitzes very well and closes on the quarterback with passion and aggression. Lewis is responsible for generating an awful lot of turnovers. His top notch athletic ability has taken a hit of late due to his age and numerous injuries. He also does not take on big blockers well if forced to do so for a long period of time. Lewis remains one of the better linebackers in the game today and makes everyone around him better, but is no longer the supreme player that he once was.

HolyDiver
04-17-2008, 08:51 AM

He sucked with 141 tackles then.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
It looks like Shanahan has given up on D.J. Williams, its only a matter of time before he leaves the team....

From the Denver Post:

The Broncos have yet to discuss which player will get the communication device in his helmet for the purpose of receiving play calls from defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. The most logical candidates would be middle linebacker Niko Koutouvides, weakside linebacker D.J. Williams and perhaps safety Hamza Abdullah or John Lynch.

HolyDiver
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
It looks like Shanahan has given up on D.J. Williams, its only a matter of time before he leaves the team....

From the Denver Post:

The Broncos have yet to discuss which player will get the communication device in his helmet for the purpose of receiving play calls from defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. The most logical candidates would be middle linebacker Niko Koutouvides, weakside linebacker D.J. Williams and perhaps safety Hamza Abdullah or John Lynch.

Given up on DJ? ..............I don't think so...........He's played all three linebacker positions and done very well......... At Will, he will be BETTER, than he was his rookie year, when he played that position.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Given up on DJ? ..............I don't think so...........He's played all three linebacker positions and done very well......... At Will, he will be BETTER, than he was his rookie year, when he played that position.

It seems that you missed the intended sarcasm.

HolyDiver
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh.............yeah, I guess I did.

Ziggy
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I think DJ is a good candidate to wear the mic. He should be on the field as much as anyone. I am surprised that Champ's name didn't come up, unless it's just too hard to call the D from the corner when the other team runs a no-huddle.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
It's hard to make adjustments nose-to-nose or even 8-yards-in-front-of a wideout. SS and MLB are best suited to be mic'ed up. Niko is arguably not a good fit as first year starter. My guess is that Lynch is mic'ed up. D.J. will probably get honorable mention. D.J. isn't an every-down player either, so that would be problematic.

If we draft DeJuan Morgan or Kenny Phillips in round 2 or if we draft Curtis Lofton, Jonathan Goff, or another MLB, I'm guessing that player will wear the second mic.

It might also change on a weekly basis for the first half of the season. It'll be interesting to see how the mic complicates substitution. I wonder if a club will be allowed to have two helmets for 5-6 players? The mic's helmets all have a black marker on them so the referrees can count mics on the field. If you had 6 guys with 2 helmets each, you could interchange who has the mic depending on the package.

Lonestar
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
As I understand it the speakers in the helmet are for getting the info from DC or whomever is calling the Defensive plays.

Ir would be difficult at best for Champ to get this. It should be the one calling the plays on the field since last year that was MLB, I suspect that will fall to the MLB this year..

I also suspect that Lynch will get the other one. Since he has already been called an on the field coach with his intelligence and knowledge of the game I think that would be a great choice.

mclark
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Is that right? DJ was out of position the last two years, especially this past season. He played his heart out. He was our second-best defensive player. But he really didn't have the instinct for the middle.

MS is finally putting him back where he belongs. If he has a big year, we'll pay him to keep him.

We need to see if he can be a playmaker on the weak side, which is what we need.

mclark
04-17-2008, 02:47 PM

I guess I did too. Sorry. Do we have a SARCASM button.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 02:53 PM
As I understand it the speakers in the helmet are for getting the info from DC or whomever is calling the Defensive plays.

Ir would be difficult at best for Champ to get this. It should be the one calling the plays on the field since last year that was MLB, I suspect that will fall to the MLB this year..

I also suspect that Lynch will get the other one. Since he has already been called an on the field coach with his intelligence and knowledge of the game I think that would be a great choice.

It wouldn't be 2 starters who get mic'd up. Only one can be on the field at a time.

Nature Boy
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM

From the Denver Post:

The helmet phone should be worn by the MLB who ever that may be. I'm not sold on Niko as Mike however. 2nd candidate for the helmet phone is the FS. At the same time, if we draft a rookie MLB and he starts, unless he is super smart and a natural leader, he shouldn't get the microphone as well, at least not til the 2nd half of the season. It's tough enough for a rookie in their 1st live pro game, play calling assignments will be a bit much. As it looks right now.

Lonestar
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
It wouldn't be 2 starters who get mic'd up. Only one can be on the field at a time.

I know I guess I did not make that clear.

Those two would be my choice to be so..

Nature Boy
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
It's pretty darn clear than Lynch will be wearing the helmet mic.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM

That would be my guess. Lynch and his successor or possibly Lynch and whichever MLB we draft.

Drill-N-Fill
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM

I don't think so. He was taken out during 3rd downs when we didn't have any Safteys last year. I'm guessing it might be Niko.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think so. He was taken out during 3rd downs when we didn't have any Safteys last year. I'm guessing it might be Niko.

Maybe it'll be Niko and the guy we draft to replace him next year.

topscribe
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't understand all this negativity toward Niko. Sure, he has to prove
himself, but is there something somebody should share about him that I and
perhaps several others here don't know?

-----

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
He sucked with 141 tackles then.

Yep and he got those 141 tackles because he has no instincts for finding ball carriers.

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Maybe it'll be Niko and the guy we draft to replace him next year.

I wouldn't bet on Denver drafting a middle linebacker in this draft.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't understand all this negativity toward Niko. Sure, he has to prove
himself, but is there something somebody should share about him that I and
perhaps several others here don't know?

-----

Niko could pan out big, but his history doesn't portend that he'll do so. Niko is a fantastic straight-line player. He's a hard hitter with decent speed. He's been a special teams standout. As a positional player, Koutouvides isn't all that effective. He's shown very poor awareness and he's not very efficient. I don't think he's a top 25 talent at this position in this league.

Niko is a great pickup for Denver. He gives us an able body in big packages and a leader on special teams. He's great injury insurance at MLB. Most importantly, he buys us time while we find Al Wilson's successor. With so many needs in this year's draft, he gives us a lot of options on draft day. We paid him backup MLB money and I expect he'll be relegated to that role after 1-2 years in the middle.

I fully expect Denver to target a MLB in this year's draft. Lofton is a possibilitiy at #42. Mayo is available at #12 (or if we trade down). There's some other intriguing players such as Vanderbilt's Goff--who many of you know I've looked into extensively--who can be had as early as round 4 or perhaps as late as round 6.

At some point in this year's draft, Denver will take an MLB. I think Koutouvides is a stopgap to get D.J. back to his natural position and is in no way intended to be a long-term fix at the position.

I certainly hope he proves me wrong.

There's video on Goff and Lofton if you scroll through this set of articles (http://www.rockymountainfever.net/search/label/Video) at my blog. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch the Goff video. The guy had arguably the most impressive showing at the combine and he's a great tackler. How he's slipped so far underneath the draft radar is beyond me.

topscribe
04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Niko could pan out big, but his history doesn't portend that he'll do so. Niko is a fantastic straight-line player. He's a hard hitter with decent speed. He's been a special teams standout. As a positional player, Koutouvides isn't all that effective. He's shown very poor awareness and he's not very efficient. I don't think he's a top 25 talent at this position in this league.

Niko is a great pickup for Denver. He gives us an able body in big packages and a leader on special teams. He's great injury insurance at MLB. Most importantly, he buys us time while we find Al Wilson's successor. With so many needs in this year's draft, he gives us a lot of options on draft day. We paid him backup MLB money and I expect he'll be relegated to that role after 1-2 years in the middle.

I fully expect Denver to target a MLB in this year's draft. Lofton is a possibilitiy at #42. Mayo is available at #12 (or if we trade down). There's some other intriguing players such as Vanderbilt's Goff--who many of you know I've looked into extensively--who can be had as early as round 4 or perhaps as late as round 6.

At some point in this year's draft, Denver will take an MLB. I think Koutouvides is a stopgap to get D.J. back to his natural position and is in no way intended to be a long-term fix at the position.

There's video on Goff and Lofton if you scroll through this set of articles (http://www.rockymountainfever.net/search/label/Video) at my blog. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch the Goff video. The guy had arguably the most impressive showing at the combine and he's a great tackler. How he's slipped so far underneath the draft radar is beyond me.

Actually, has Niko had the opportunity to show anything at MLB? It seems
to me he's spent most of his professional career stuck behind the Seahawks'
All-Universe MLB. That's my question. I mean, he is very bright, from the
interviews I've seen, and if he can be a competent MLB, that is all we need,
with D.J. and Boss flanking him.

Goff and Lofton notwithstanding, I would rather the Broncos go for DT and
OT, in that order, before they even think about another position. To me,
the difference between ranking 8th and 28th in the league, for the Broncos,
rests on the DT position.

Maybe that's exaggerating a little, but not very much, IMO.

-----

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't see Denver taking a Mike linebacker in the first round.

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 08:13 PM

-----

I agree that DT is our achilles heel and that we need multiple DT's in this year's draft, but none of the 2nd round talents fit our need after Balmer is taken. I think we'll take a pair of DT's--which may or may not include Dwayne Robertson--in rounds 4 and 5.

I think Letroy Guion is a lock in round 4. If I were to make one bold prediction about this year's draft, it would be that we take him in round 4. He's exactly the kind of talent Shanahan would like. I'm guessing we take either Rubin, Bryant, or Okam--if not two of them. Nick Hayden from Wisconsin is my late round sleeper but I don't necessarily think he's on Denver's radar.

Could Niko be great in the middle? Perhaps. I hope he is. I just don't view his signing as the long term solution that many perceive it to be. I think Niko is temporary and, from the interviews I've read, he understands that the job is his to keep but that he has to play at a high level to keep it. Jamie Winborn (also a former MLB from Vanderbilt) is about to turn 30 (a year younger than Al Wilson). You take a beating at MLB in the NFL. I would be shocked if Denver didn't add some competition at MLB in this year's draft.

Mel Kiper, Jr. thinks Denver will take Jerod Mayo in round 1 this year. I think he's insane, but I wouldn't be surprised if we take a long-term solution on day 1.

Niko is extremely intelligent. He is perhaps the most intelligent player on our team at the moment. If he develops a good rapport with the rest of the D, he could be a leader. I'm routing for Niko; I'm just not sold on him as a starter. He's got an awful lot of work to do if he wants to be that guy. I don't think Denver is ready to put all their eggs in that basket.

topscribe
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree that DT is our achilles heel and that we need multiple DT's in this year's draft, but none of the 2nd round talents fit our need after Balmer is taken. I think we'll take a pair of DT's--which may or may not include Dwayne Robertson--in rounds 4 and 5.

I think Letroy Guion is a lock in round 4. If I were to make one bold prediction about this year's draft, it would be that we take him in round 4. He's exactly the kind of talent Shanahan would like. I'm guessing we take either Rubin, Bryant, or Okam--if not two of them. Nick Hayden from Wisconsin is my late round sleeper but I don't necessarily think he's on Denver's radar.

Could Niko be great in the middle? Perhaps. I hope he is. I just don't view his signing as the long term solution that many perceive it to be. I think Niko is temporary and, from the interviews I've read, he understands that the job is his to keep but that he has to play at a high level to keep it. Jamie Winborn (also a former MLB from Vanderbilt) is about to turn 30 (a year younger than Al Wilson). You take a beating at MLB in the NFL. I would be shocked if Denver didn't add some competition at MLB in this year's draft.

Mel Kiper, Jr. thinks Denver will take Jerod Mayo in round 1 this year. I think he's insane, but I wouldn't be surprised if we take a long-term solution on day 1.

Niko is extremely intelligent. He is perhaps the most intelligent player on our team at the moment. If he develops a good rapport with the rest of the D, he could be a leader. I'm routing for Niko; I'm just not sold on him as a starter. He's got an awful lot of work to do if he wants to be that guy. I don't think Denver is ready to put all their eggs in that basket.

Thanks for your explanation. While I was known on the other board for my
knowledge of Broncos history, I don't pretend to be an expert on incoming
and potentially incoming talent . . . I really depend on you guys to educate
me on that.

Thing about it, though, is that Niko doesn't have to be "great" in his position,
does he? If he can step into the runner's path and not overrun his
assignment, if he can use his intellect to quarterback the defense, then I
would think that, if he has a decent supporting cast, he would be what we
need.

In that end, we have the DEs, the OLBs, and safties (for now), and our CBs
are the best in the league. Add a couple DTs to complement Thomas, and
all the sudden we have a pretty salty defense. At least, that is my view.

You give Cutler & co. a salty defense, and all the sudden, you're fighting for
the Division championship, perhaps.

That is why I have been so redundant about advocating for DTs, although
I doubt I have Shanny's ear. :laugh:

-----

r8rh8r
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I think you are right to beat the DT drum. Even Hall-of-Fame-worthy Ray Lewis struggled without top-shelf DT's in front of him. If the line is porous, the MLB doesn't have luxury of being a playmaker.

Some may heckle me for saying this, but Al Wilson was a good but not a great MLB. He was aggressive and an extremely hard hitter, true; but Wilson had a pair of lane-cloggers to keep the pressure off of him. With that kind of support, I think the game is easy for an MLB. Of course, having no pass rush sure was tough on our DB's!

jrelway
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
all in all, im just happy DJ isnt getting sour about this. gotta be pretty frustrating switching positions like that again. give him an extension and lock him up. he's done nothing but good for us.

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
all in all, im just happy DJ isnt getting sour about this. gotta be pretty frustrating switching positions like that again. give him an extension and lock him up. he's done nothing but good for us.

I read an article some time ago in DP about D.J. and all the position switches he's made. I remember him saying something to the effect that he had problem staying at Mike but if he were switched back to Will he wouldn't mind that either.

DenBronx
04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't bet on Denver drafting a middle linebacker in this draft.

denver wont draft a pure mlb this year. they will target a lb but i think one that can play ilb and mlb....like beau bell. :D

TXBRONC
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
denver wont draft a pure mlb this year. they will target a lb but i think one that can play ilb and mlb....like beau bell. :D

We'll know in a little more than a week.

Lonestar
04-18-2008, 12:20 AM

-----

Everyone believes we have to have 3 ALL PRO LB's when all we need it an ALL PRO DLINE. Then mere mortals will look good behind it..

There is only so much money to go around having all PRO LB and the DL that DEN has had the past 8 years or so has not gotten us to the promised land.

A bend but not break defense that wears down in the 4th and about the 6th game of the year..

LEts get those studs at DT and alot of things will become alot easier ..

DenBronx
04-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Everyone believes we have to have 3 ALL PRO LB's when all we need it an ALL PRO DLINE. Then mere mortals will look good behind it..

There is only so much money to go around having all PRO LB and the DL that DEN has had the past 8 years or so has not gotten us to the promised land.

A bend but not break defense that wears down in the 4th and about the 6th game of the year..

LEts get those studs at DT and alot of things will become alot easier ..

that about sums it up....i hope we get robertson in a bad way....i wouldnt mind seeing someone drafted too.

Nature Boy
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM

This is assuming Niko will be the starting the MLB and not just a special teams specialist.

DenverBronkHoes
04-19-2008, 06:37 AM
wonderful news.........

if only there was a way to swap brains with Al Wilson it would have worked out.

DJ will be one of the best in the league at the weakside, no question.

champbronc2
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
wonderful news.........

He was an absolute beast his rookie season.

I can't wait to see him back in his native position.

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
wonderful news.........

I think once D.J. got comfortable with new position that he played as well Al ever did.

Npba900
04-19-2008, 01:36 PM
DJ has been a main stay at LB since becoming a Bronco in 2004. What more can you ask for from today's player in terms of character, work ethic, and team before self!!!

The mere fact that DJ has was asked to play out of position w/o complaining and becoming a team and locker room distraction are what coaches are looking for when it comes to developing their players.

DJ, (to my knowledge) has never had a run in with law and has represented and respected himself, the public (fans) and the organization with the utmost respect and professionalism. What more needs to be asked?????

DJ has shown maturity and leadership and has made the best of a very confusing, questioning, and challenging situations since becoming a Bronco when it comes to playing the LB position.

Surround DJ with some freakin talent and watch him come into his own.

mclark
04-19-2008, 01:47 PM
There is more involved in a position change that just the mental aspect. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who has played his whole life as an outside linebacker who could move inside and be dominant. Part of it is just the perspective of the game.

I was a very good shortstop; I was an adequate second-baseman; but I was a terrible third-baseman. Why? The perspective of the game at third base is totally different that from what I was used to. (I think Alex Rodriguez made a big sacrifice when he signed with the Yankees, by switching to third-base. Defensively, he's barely adequate at third base. And there is a reason for it.)

I was a very good left end on our football team. But I struggled when I lined up on the right side. You grow comfortable with the angle you see the game; and changing the angle is very often a BIG deal.

Some people make these kinds of adjustments more easily than others do.

It's like people on this board who kept saying that Ian Gold should be moved to safety. Well, maybe he could make that move in high school, maybe even in college; but no way in the NFL. The shift from corner to safety is already too much for many players. the move from offensive tackle to guard is too much for many also.

I think DJ did a heck of a job considering he was out of position last year. I don't think he was a very good middle linebacker. He made a lot of tackles -- but he often filled the wrong holes or ran up a defensive tackle's back when the opposition was running for 10 yards through a different hole. DJ is a finesse linebacker. There are NO finesse middle-linebackers. The middle linebacker better be the guy who likes running through brick walls or your defense is in trouble.

I'm surprised we haven't brought in another middle linebacker to give the Big Greek some competition in the middle. I guess we're planning on drafting one. That's why I think Dan Conner is stll on the board for us, after a trade down.

DenverBronkHoes
04-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I think once D.J. got comfortable with new position that he played as well Al ever did.

noway

DenverBronkHoes
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
There is more involved in a position change that just the mental aspect. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who has played his whole life as an outside linebacker who could move inside and be dominant. Part of it is just the perspective of the game.

I was a very good shortstop; I was an adequate second-baseman; but I was a terrible third-baseman. Why? The perspective of the game at third base is totally different that from what I was used to. (I think Alex Rodriguez made a big sacrifice when he signed with the Yankees, by switching to third-base. Defensively, he's barely adequate at third base. And there is a reason for it.)

I was a very good left end on our football team. But I struggled when I lined up on the right side. You grow comfortable with the angle you see the game; and changing the angle is very often a BIG deal.

It's like people on this board who kept saying that Ian Gold should be moved to safety. Well, maybe he could make that move in high school, maybe even in college; but no way in the NFL. The shift from corner to safety is already too much for many players. the move from offensive tackle to guard is too much for many also.

I think DJ did a heck of a job considering he was out of position last year. I don't think he was a very good middle linebacker. He made a lot of tackles -- but he often filled the wrong holes or ran up a defensive tackle's back when the opposition was running for 10 yards through a different hole. DJ is a finesse linebacker. There are NO finesse middle-linebackers. The middle linebacker better be the guy who likes running through brick walls or your defense is in trouble.

I'm surprised we haven't brought in another middle linebacker to give the Big Greek some competition in the middle. I guess we're planning on drafting one. That's why I think Dan Conner is stll on the board for us, after a trade down.

well stated....

the man is built for his weakside position

TXBRONC
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
noway

Oh I do believe he did.

r8rh8r
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Well said, although, I'm not in the Dan Conner fan club. I'm a big Curtis Lofton guy. TSN predicted today that Denver would draft Lofton at #42.

TXBRONC
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Not everyone in the media thinks D.J. played poorly in the Middle last season. Here's PFW's take on him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi042308.htm

Broncos WLB Williams running out of patience with lack of consistent position

April 23, 2008

Broncos WLB D.J. Williams will complete a full circle rotation, of sorts, next season as he moves back to weak side after not having played there since 2004, his rookie season. Williams is set to start at a new position in the linebacker corps for the third time in as many seasons, having played in the middle and the strong side the past two years. Although Williams was very solid in the middle last season, as evidenced by finishing second in the league in tackles, sources say the constant shuffling has done the fifth-year player a great disservice by not allowing him to establish any comfort or consistency in one area. Williams has tried to put a positive spin on all the moves, which one source said have stalled his career, and he has publicly stated his affinity for the organization. Another shift, however, may mark the end of Williams’ patience. He finally is back at his most natural position, out of the middle where his instincts failed him, and back where he can be more of a playmaker on defense.

hamrob
04-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Not everyone in the media thinks D.J. played poorly in the Middle last season. Here's PFW's take on him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi042308.htm

Broncos WLB Williams running out of patience with lack of consistent position

April 23, 2008

Broncos WLB D.J. Williams will complete a full circle rotation, of sorts, next season as he moves back to weak side after not having played there since 2004, his rookie season. Williams is set to start at a new position in the linebacker corps for the third time in as many seasons, having played in the middle and the strong side the past two years. Although Williams was very solid in the middle last season, as evidenced by finishing second in the league in tackles, sources say the constant shuffling has done the fifth-year player a great disservice by not allowing him to establish any comfort or consistency in one area. Williams has tried to put a positive spin on all the moves, which one source said have stalled his career, and he has publicly stated his affinity for the organization. Another shift, however, may mark the end of Williams’ patience. He finally is back at his most natural position, out of the middle where his instincts failed him, and back where he can be more of a playmaker on defense.Blah, Blah, Blah! What do you expect from PFT. They are the official Broncos Hater web site you know?

topscribe
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah! What do you expect from PFT. They are the official Broncos Hater web site you know?

PFT?

Anyway, I am not aware that they are the "official Broncos hater web site."

Maybe if they are viewed through orange colored glasses? :coffee:

-----

pilfin
04-24-2008, 09:31 AM
DJ Williams is an outstanding Will and an average Mike. That is why Jonathan Vilma played Mike in College and DJ played Will even though Vilma is the smaller player.

I believe DJ will have a very good chance of making the probowl this year at his natural position because he can do what he is born to do: use his instincts, size, and speed to destroy people.

There IS a major difference between Will and Mike you know. Will gets to just react. There isn't all that much reading of the play, mostly just reacting to the play. Mike has to see the big picture and must see the play develop around him so he can make quick, CORRECT, decisions and respond with authority.

DJ was awful at the beginning of the year doing this, but improved as time went by. However, he never really looked comfortable, and he was an average player. I don't think you can knock him for it, though, because he did his best and had reasonable production at the position.

What is exciting, though, is the staff finally realizes that he IS out of position and when he is COMFORTABLE and REACTING, he can be something special. I am really excited about him playing will again, because he is vastly superior to Gold at that position. Granted, we don't have a decent Mike now, but I would rather have an outstanding Will and an below average Mike than an average Mike and a below average Will like we had last year.

By the way, DJ Williams Wonderlic score was a 21. That is the equivilent of a 100 on an IQ test. He is not smart, he is not dumb, he is a Will.

Also, the average MLB in the NFL has a Wonderlic of 19
The average security guard is 17
The average secretary is 21

Niko Koutouvides scored a 28