04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
The Way We Hear It — draft edition

Stewart's stock climbs despite toe surgery

BY Nolan Nawrocki
April 15, 2008

More from PFW
• All 32 teams' draft picks, 2003-07, 4/15/2008 6:01:00 PM
• Dolphins RB*Booker wows Sparano, 4/15/2008 5:18:37 PM
• What are the most intriguing games of each week of the 2008 season?, 4/15/2008 5:15:02 PM
• 2008 preseason schedule announced, 4/15/2008 4:29:46 PM
• The Patriots don't hate Chris Long, I promise, 4/14/2008 3:38:34 PM
Related Topics

•*New England Patriots
•*National Football League
•*American Football Conference
•*AFC East Division
•*Jonathan Stewart (Football)
•*Nolan Nawrocki
•*Darren McFadden
•*Denver Broncos
•*AFC West Division
•*New York Jets

PFW personnel analyst Nolan Nawrocki will post "The Way We Hear It*— draft edition" Tuesday through Thursday every week preceding the NFL draft. E-mail your draft questions to Nawrocki at ASKquestions@pfwmedia.com. He'll be answering selected questions on this Web site every Wednesday preceding the draft.
*Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart
There is a perception being propelled by the media and the teams that are chomping at the bit to draft Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart that the toe injury on which he had surgery could push him into the second round.

The way we hear it, this perception could not be any further from what will actually happen on Draft Day. Stewart, who finished the season playing with the injury, showed he was capable of clocking in the mid-4.4s at 235 pounds and is expected to be at full health in time for training camp, according to three team sources who have consulted with their team doctors. Of the elite backs in this draft, he is the thickest, strongest and best capable of running between the tackles.

Not only is he strong and compact, he also receives high marks from team evaluators for his ability to catch and block. PFW polled 10 teams regarding how they viewed this year’s elite running backs, including five that needed backs and five that did not.

Of the teams with needs at the position, a perhaps surprisingly unanimous five said Stewart would become the best pro from this year’s draft.

“He will wear (defenses) down,” said one veteran evaluator not in position to land Stewart. “He does everything well. He has good vision. He runs with his feet underneath him. He is incredibly strong. He’s the closest (player) in this draft to Ronnie Brown*—*and he is twice the competitor. Ronnie was not nearly as tough.”

Three of the five with no need for a running back*—*and thus less likely to have invested a lot of time studying talent that they did not view to be in consideration*— rated Darren McFadden the most highly. Two others with no need regarded Stewart to be the best.

Possible landing spots for a back in the first round include the Raiders, Jets, Patriots, Bengals, Broncos, Panthers, Bears, Cardinals, Texans, Cowboys, Steelers and 49ers. However, the Broncos and Texans are not likely to invest heavily in the position given their zone-blocking schemes.

The surprise contender for Stewart’s services, league evaluators surmise, is New England, which holds the seventh overall pick and has lacked a true bell cow in the backfield since Corey Dillon retired.

The secret to the Giants’ success in the Super Bowl that has not received nearly as much fanfare as their vaunted pass rush was their ability to pound the Patriots in the first quarter, opening the game by running 16 plays in the first 9:59 and wearing down the legs of an aging defense.

“What is the best way to protect an aging defense?” asked one longtime evaluator. “You keep the offense on the field as much as possible and score as many points as you can. It’s a lot easier for (Rodney) Harrison and (Mike) Vrabel and (Rosevelt) Colvin to drop into coverage 70 percent of the time. That’s what happens when they build big leads*—*there are a lot less collisions. At 30-whatever years old, you don’t want to be head-butting guards.

“No one gives the Giants coaches credit for their game plan — and I don’t know if it was (Tom) Coughlin or (Kevin) Gilbride — but they gassed the Patriots and beat them physically down the stretch. The Patriots had nothing left in the fourth quarter. Just look at how many points the Patriots gave up in the second quarter of their last two (postseason) losses (against the Giants [0] in the Super Bowl and Colts [3] in the 2006 AFC championship game.) It has to drive (Bill) Belichick crazy because it has nothing to do with scheme.”

Despite the problems his defense's*aging legs have encountered in the second halves of games, Belichick has long preferred a veteran, experienced defense that could handle the complexities of his week-to-week game plans. If*he remains old on defense, he could sorely use another bell cow to control the clock. Laurence Maroney*has proven*to be more of a space player than a between-the-tackles grinder, and Kevin Faulk is not getting any younger.*It would not be a surprise*if the Patriots*address the RB position early.

I sure hope not.

turftoad
04-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I think we should trade for Maroney then. He be great in our scheme.

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
those SOB's.... I thought we were sitting perfect for Stewart...looks like Mendenhall is our only shot at getting a stub back if this is true.

Bronco4ever
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
those SOB's.... I thought we were sitting perfect for Stewart...looks like Mendenhall is our only shot at getting a stub back if this is true.

Boss, I think if we wanted a stub running back, we could have re-signed Q-Griff, or sign Mo.

underrated29
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Boss, I think if we wanted a stub running back, we could have re-signed Q-Griff, or sign Mo.

I had to re-read that for a second. Before i LMFAO!!!!!!:beer:

LOL ah too funny. You sir crack me up.

shank
04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
hope he's there at 12. didn't think he'd climb that high, and i thought 12 was the perfect spot to get him before anyone else, so this is surprising.

the j-stew fan club just got backed by 7/10 nfl clubs though!

again, hope he's there at 12.

Bronco4ever
04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I had to re-read that for a second. Before i LMFAO!!!!!!:beer:

LOL ah too funny. You sir crack me up.

I had to re-read it myself to make sure he said stub instead of stud. I have spurts of dyslexia. It's hard to pass up a Mo joke when it is served to you on a silver platter.

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I found this from PFW:

With one of the most loaded defensive lines in the NFL, it would seem odd for the Patriots to pick up yet another defensive lineman with the seventh pick in the draft. But a source close to the club said the Pats are taking a hard look at USC DT Sedrick Ellis. Ellis has been one of the fastest-rising prospects since the end of the season — a strong, quick player who could conceivably man any of the three down lineman positions in the 3-4 defense. One of the biggest reasons for the interest is the belief that the personnel on the now-dominant line will be shifting in two years. The contracts of both DE Richard Seymour and NT Vince Wilfork are up after the 2009 season, and it’s likely the Pats won’t be able to re-sign both. Seymour, specifically, has reason to doubt his future with the team. Injuries have taken a toll on him, and the Pats will be reluctant to spend top dollar on a guy with injury baggage. Wilfork, perhaps the most talented nose tackle in the game today who’s only now entering the prime of his career, is critical to the Pats' future, but will require a megadeal to keep around. The situation couldn’t be more different than the situation with DLE Ty Warren, whose extension a season ago was considered team-friendly. Ellis is by no means a lock to be around by the seventh pick as Oakland at No. 4 and Kansas City at No. 5 are interested in him, but if he is around and the Pats are unable to trade down, look for him to be the pick.

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Just remember this: all GMs do in April is lie. Don't believe a word they say

topscribe
04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Every RB taken before #12 pushes the good OT/DT back for the Broncos.

-----

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Every RB taken before #12 pushes the good OT/DT back for the Broncos.

-----

Only if it is the teams rumored to take DT and OT.... Pats aren't really one of those teams we had to worry about, but if teams not that are suppose to pick DT and OT do pick those positions and then you have teams we thought would go other positions other than DT, OT, and RB they are only hurting the Broncos.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I've liked this guys analysis of players in the draft but I think he's dead wrong about them drafting Stewart. I'm not saying that Stewart wouldn't be worth the pick but they are old at linebacker and are now short handed in the secondary. In my opinion they would be foolish to draft Stewart.

Medford Bronco
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM

I thought we were bringing back Bobby Humprey or Sammy Winder:laugh:

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I thought we were bringing back Bobby Humprey or Sammy Winder:laugh:

Med you live in that neck of the woods, does it seem reasonable that the Pasties would draft Stewart over someone like Rivers?

Scarface
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
No way Stewart goes to the Pats. I'm betting that if we want Mendenhall or Stewart we'll have our choice of the two at #12.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
No way Stewart goes to the Pats. I'm betting that if we want Mendenhall or Stewart we'll have our choice of the two at #12.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Patriots would take Stewart with the 7th overall pick.

DenBronx
04-16-2008, 12:41 AM
that article is bogus. the pats need serious help at the lb position. i think they will target rivers. they just freakin picked maroney a couple of years ago in the 1st. no way the pats reach for stewart that high....12 is high enough as it is.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think Stewart's a reach at 7. I've said it, Boss has said it, and now NFL GM's are saying it. Stewart will be the best NFL back drafted this year when it's all said and done. I think he's going to be a perennial pro bowler. That being said, I still hope Denver takes a lineman.

BOSSHOGG30
04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
So much for him dropping to the 2nd round like many people thought after the toe surgery.

lex
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
So much for him dropping to the 2nd round like many people thought after the toe surgery.

You know I like Mendenhall more but even I never thought Stewart would fall to the 2nd. If teams like him, he'll go in Rd 1. Its not even like he is going to miss real time and besides that, its often the case that a rookie plays in spot duty the first few games, in which case the injury would matter even less. BUt I actually think the injury helps him in the eyes of teams from a character standpoint.

TXBRONC
04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
that article is bogus. the pats need serious help at the lb position. i think they will target rivers. they just freakin picked maroney a couple of years ago in the 1st. no way the pats reach for stewart that high....12 is high enough as it is.

No kidding with as old as their linebacking corp is they would be foolish to pass on Rivers.