PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #4 Elway to Rod Smith SB 33

titan
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
On my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

#4 in my countdown of all time Bronco plays:

The Atlanta Falcons had played the Broncos tough in the first quarter of Super Bowl 33. With Denver holding a 10-3 lead Atlanta threatened to tie the game early in the 2nd quarter, driving inside the Denver 10 yard line. The drive stalled and then Morten Anderson missed a 26 yard field goal. The next play pretty much decided the game:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25mJZhWgmBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25mJZhWgmBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Elway to Smith td gave the Broncos a 17-3 lead and they never looked back, defeating the Falcons easily 34-19. I really enjoyed this Super Bowl for a couple of reasons. Having sat through the four Bronco Super Bowl losses by big scores it was great for me to see the Broncos on the right side of a dominating Super Bowl win. Also this was John Elway's last game and his exit was impressive: 336 passing yards and named Super Bowl MVP.

Trivia: you'll notice the above highlight starts with Elway going back to pass. Fox almost missed this play because they were late coming out of a commercial. What movie commercial almost preempted this big play? Answer: The commercial was for The Matrix.

Next on my countdown: back to the 1970's for a play that changed the course of Bronco history.

broncophan
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting.....this Super Bowl is one alot of "average" fans forget about.....imo

scott.475
04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I was hoping this play would make it in your list. This was the play that really blew the Falcons apart. They had spent so much time working on stopping the run, once we went to the air they had no good answers. You could really kind of tell in their body language after this play that they had just lost the game, and we had not even made it to halftime yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that then the longest pass play for TD in SB history? I think it has only been surpassed by an 85 yarder in the Panthers/Pats game?

Another great thing about SB 33 I think, TD had NO touchdowns, and Howard Griffith had 2! What a great guy Griffith was.

Broncolingus
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I remember vividly watching with my Bronco Bro's and us all feeling that the rout was on at that point...

...was it certainly nice to be on the 'other side' of that dime for a change, eh?

Thx, Titan...

muse
04-06-2010, 06:53 AM
It must've been a pretty bad weekend for Eugene Robinson, getting hauled up the night before for trying to get a BJ from an undercover prostitute followed by being toasted by Rod the next day.

e-Lou-sive1
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
This was a great play and game to beat not only the dirty birds but especilally Dan Reeves who Elway and Shanahan probably enjoyed it the most.Dan Reeves wanted to shut down the running game and make Elway pass it what a concept. Our defense was just as awesome shutting down Atlanta and the hit Romo put on the qb.Back to back Superbowls and Elway retiring on a high note.

scott.475
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
It must've been a pretty bad weekend for Eugene Robinson, getting hauled up the night before for trying to get a BJ from an undercover prostitute followed by being toasted by Rod the next day.

The cherry on top is that he got beaten like a mangy dog by the same team 2 superbowls in a row, since he played for the pack the year before. I bet he came in to the game thinking "Okay, I played these guys in the big game last year, I know what needs to be done this year", and he got owned AGAIN. LOL at Eugene "They're not even good!" Robinson.

Broncolingus
04-06-2010, 11:22 PM

Yeah baby!

Better than an undercover police officer...:D

JK Muse...