PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #5 Elway to Jackson finishes The Drive

titan
04-04-2010, 12:53 PM
From my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

Resuming the countdown of my all time great Bronco plays:

"The Drive" is one of my favorite Bronco memories. Trailing 20-13 with 5:32 left in the 1986 season's AFC Championship game, John Elway and the Broncos got the ball on their own 2 yard line. While there were several great plays in The Drive (including a clutch 3rd and 18 conversion from midfield), I picked the concluding touchdown as my 5th greatest all time Bronco play:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vbp37yZSxo4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vbp37yZSxo4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This TD was the last of three 3rd down conversions during The Drive.
It's easy to forget sometimes that after Denver tied the game Cleveland won the overtime coin toss and the Bronco defense still had to do its part in forcing the Browns to punt. Elway then led the Broncos to the winning field goal on their first overtime possession.

Next in the countdown: another great play by Elway in a Super Bowl

topscribe
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Well do I remember that play . . .

That ball must have been 180 degrees Fahrenheit by the time it reached Jackson. :shocked:

-----

BigBroncLove
04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
This is my first real Bronco memory (that I can remember at least). I was four years old and don't remember much of anything before the drive. I remember my parents and their friends were rather dejected by that point and some of their attention had turned away from the TV. Of course that changed quickly.

I remember watching the drive and not really knowing what was going on, but that I wanted the Broncos to keep moving. When Elway threw that pass and Jackson came up with it my Dad got really excited, jumped up, and spilled beer on me. My mother was upset, my father said Elway was a lot dirtier. Bronco memory #1 :first: .

:beer:

broncophan
04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
ahhhhhhhhhh.....the memories.....watching the game with my dad here in Ohio......I was 18 at the time......my dad was always a browns fan.....and boy.....was he mad....lol.Still, to this day,..........he always talks about how lucky Denver always was......not just in that game.....but many others.......

Ravage!!!
04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Hah... y ou can just see John REALLY step into that ball and friggin HEAVE that ball. "Hardest ball I've ever thrown" is how Elway describes that pass....... Its amazing that it was held onto, considering how fast that ball was moving. I bet you could just hear that 'whiiizzzzzzz' as it went by or came in.

topscribe
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Hah... y ou can just see John REALLY step into that ball and friggin HEAVE that ball. "Hardest ball I've ever thrown" is how Elway describes that pass....... Its amazing that it was held onto, considering how fast that ball was moving. I bet you could just hear that 'whiiizzzzzzz' as it went by or came in.

I'll bet Jackson treasured that bruise on his body for a long time. :nod:

-----

Broncolingus
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
What an awesome game...

...and, moreover, what a great time to be a Bronco fan.

Wasn't really until the mid-90s and I wasn't a teenage punk anymore that I came to really appreciate how good Denver was for SO many years...

God Bless, John Elway...

broncophan
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM

-----

The "Elway Cross"....:confused:.......I think is what the receivers called that bruise....

Ravage!!!
04-04-2010, 07:43 PM

-----

the coveted Elway +

e-Lou-sive1
04-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Watching this game when they air it from time to time still gives me the chills knowing that Elway could have been sacked a receiver could have dropped the ball at any point and ended the game.
Another game close to this outcome was when Denver played against Houston in the playoffs and Elway eluded a sack on 4th down and threw it to I believe Vance Johnson for a long gain to set up a winning field goal.The camera focus on Warren Moon and when he saw what happened he crumpled up his dixie cup and threw on ground (Vintage Elway).