PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bronco plays of all time: Terrell's Big Run

titan
04-03-2010, 07:52 AM
On my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

Before getting to my top 5 bronco plays of all time, here's another "honorable mention" play. I can't compile a list of all time great Bronco plays without some mention of Terrell Davis.

It was a windy day January 17, 1999 when the Broncos hosted the NY Jets in the AFC Championship game. 50 mile-per-hour winds neutralized the Broncos and John Elway's great passing attack, so this game clinching run was the key play in a Bronco victory:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tl8BcEg6kfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tl8BcEg6kfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Davis had so many big runs in the playoffs, it was difficult to pick just one. In eight career playoff games he accumulated 1,140 yards rushing on 204 carries and 12 touchdowns. The Broncos victory over the Jets was also the last playoff game at Mile High Stadium, and John Elway's last home game.

Next: resuming the countdown with the #5 play on my list against an opponent who was victim to many great bronco plays over the years (the Cleveland Browns)

EMB6903
04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Get shivers watching that.

The most dominant player to ever put on a Broncos uni.

Along with being the most dominant playoff RB of alltime

edit....Look at Nalen and Schlereth battling to give TD some room.

The days.

MasterShake
04-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Get shivers watching that.

The most dominant player to ever put on a Broncos uni.

Along with being the most dominant playoff RB of alltime

edit....Look at Nalen and Schlereth battling to give TD some room.

The days.

My favorite run of his was one I saw live against Dallas. It was like 60 yds or something for a score. That was back in the days where I just expected to have 30+ pts by halftime! :lol:

Thanks for posting these Titan, you're getting me revved up for football season even earlier than usual! :lol:

gobroncsnv
04-03-2010, 09:45 AM
That was an offense for the ages... The line we had back in those days enabled so much greatness, from TD, to Elway, to Sharpe, to MacMan, Rod... Love the 30 points by halftime era... Felt REALLY good to do this to a team coached by Parcells, too... Just made this all the sweeter.
But for my money, there's not a back anywhere that I would take over TD... selfless, great blocker, punishing runner, and the way that man could read the blocking setups was just unreal. He was a major cog in a team of destiny.

atwater27
04-03-2010, 09:58 AM
God I miss TD.

GEM
04-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Titan,

Thanks so much for these threads. They are a fantastic walk down memory lane and I really appreciate you posting them. That said.....Got Damn, I love the Broncos!! :D

broncobryce
04-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Davis was insane. I always try to picture what an average back could do in the same situations. TD just cut back quicker than anyone I've ever seen. By the time the defense reacted, he was 5-10 yards down the field. The Dallas play was awesome too, he actually ran back to back 50 something and 60 yards runs.

broncobryce
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow, I didn't know Nalen was the key to our running game. Nails was vicious.

atwater27
04-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Interesting. Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator for the Jets that year.

gobroncsnv
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, he had been coach of the Browns, flailed at that (not that ANYbody could have taken that franchise anywhere back then), and got back into Tuna's stable, first with the Pats, then to the Jets...

Once again, Titan, these are GREAT threads you're workin' here.

scott.475
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I was a watching a Bronco's show the other day, don't remember what it was called, but I caught a little blurb of info I had not known before about TD's '98. Keep in mind, I was out here in Washington and had not internet, so the info I was able to get was spotty and I was lucky to be able to see any regular season games, so maybe this is not news to those of you back in Colorado.

The show said Shanny had pulled TD from a full 4 quarters of play that year to keep him from being injured (I am pretty sure it was 4, maybe 8?) Anyway, it was no small amount. He made 2,008 yards while missing 4 quarters of play, does anyone doubt he may have been closer to 2,200 if playing those quarters?

I had also forgot how many yards he needed going into the last game against Seattle, but I did get to watch that game at least. He needed something like 160 yards going into that game, and he did it! They said Shanny would have pulled him earlier in that game if he hadn't been taking such big chunks out of that 160. It was awesome to see him pick up a full 15 yards when he only needed 7 on that last run.

Broncolingus
04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
The epitome of a 'down-hill' runner...

...and, yeah - that O-line wasn't too bad either.

East Coast Fan
04-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Being from Pennsylvania, my buddy and I STILL talk about the game where we beat the Eagles soundly with Bubby Brister filling in for Elway, and Davis had something like 159 yards AT THE HALF-they pulled him from that game; could you imagine how many yards he could've racked up had they let him play the whole game? He was outstanding as was that o-line; just a shame that he couldn't have played a few years more...:salute: to you, T.D.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
My favorite run of his was one I saw live against Dallas. It was like 60 yds or something for a score. That was back in the days where I just expected to have 30+ pts by halftime! :lol:

Thanks for posting these Titan, you're getting me revved up for football season even earlier than usual! :lol:

My fav was the 2 cut TD run vs the Dolphins that same playoffs. You all know what I'm talkin about.

I'm also a big fan of the same run play being called twice in a row in SB32 at the end of the game. The first got called back cuz of a hold, so we did it again.