PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

CoachChaz
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Just seems wrong to not have a fishing thread in here.

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm going fishing next weekend.... Can't wait!

Flatinum
04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
My 5 year old son was out this weekend testing his new rod and reel he got for Christmas. Didn't catch anything (season's not open yet up here), can't wait to start posting pics of the fish we catch. It's going to be a good season.

Skinny
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I had one of my better years last season. I look to improve on that greatly this year. Nothing like a day on the lake.

My better luck basic lures ...
http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/swatches/Reb-Crawfish.jpg

http://www.fishingtacklesuperstore.com/index_files/images/7RW-011.jpg
Pumpkin seed.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/images/SSR-5-SD.jpg
Shad Rap. I catch my bigger fish on this lure other than fishing on the bottom with live bait for catfish..I use another one that's heavier and you can cast it a mile if you use fire line
or spider wire, but i could'nt find a pic of it. It's a cheapo mom & pop type lure maybe that's why.

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/JL-Beetle.jpg
Works every time.

http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/bassmaster/i/P2h_Jr_Jan06_StartKit1.jpg
Pop ... Pop ... Pop ... Pop ... Pop ...

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/200-000/284-667-27.jpg
Much like the Beetle spin, hard to miss with this one.

CoachChaz
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I still have a hard time giving up my Texas and Carolina rigs. I still catch nicer fish on those than anything else for some reason.

turftoad
04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I, fortunatly have the opportunity to fish one of the best Walleye fishery's in the world.

Lake of the Woods, MN.

Very large lake that produces Walleyes that you wouldn't believe. One of my best friends has a place up there so I get the invite about 4-5 times during the summer and a couple of times for the ice fishing season.

The summer fishing up there is unbelievable.

Early spring and late fall are times to fill the freezer with 1 1/2 pound to 3 pound eaters.

The best part of the summer (late July to late Aug) are when we catch the hogs. There are days that we don't catch a fish less than 4lbs and up to 12lbs. Now that is some of the most fun a guy can ever have.

tubby
04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I, fortunatly have the opportunity to fish one of the best Walleye fishery's in the world.

Lake of the Woods, MN.

Very large lake that produces Walleyes that you wouldn't believe. One of my best friends has a place up there so I get the invite about 4-5 times during the summer and a couple of times for the ice fishing season.

The summer fishing up there is unbelievable.

Early spring and late fall are times to fill the freezer with 1 1/2 pound to 3 pound eaters.

The best part of the summer (late July to late Aug) are when we catch the hogs. There are days that we don't catch a fish less than 4lbs and up to 12lbs. Now that is some of the most fun a guy can ever have.

The Walleye Capital of the World :salute:

OB
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I cant take my fish off the hook - is that girly :confused:

Damn - now I know why i need to take a man fishing

I usually fish with those punkin seeds - im not experienced enough to try the others yet - i get them all tangled and f'd up and never catch anything - although ive tried the carolina rig but didnt catch anything either

And I just canceled my trip to Table Rock for Mem. Day Weekend - so there goes my first fishing trip of the year :sad:

turftoad
04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
The Walleye Capital of the World :salute:

Thats what they call it. I'm a lucky guy. :D

CoachChaz
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM

I usually fish with those punkin seeds - im not experienced enough to try the others yet - i get them all tangled and f'd up and never catch anything - although ive tried the carolina rig but didnt catch anything either

And I just canceled my trip to Table Rock for Mem. Day Weekend - so there goes my first fishing trip of the year :sad:

I go to Lake Texoma quite a bit if you're interested.

OB
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I go to Lake Texoma quite a bit if you're interested.

Will you take my fish off the hook for me though - thats the big question :D

I already know you will rig me the right way ;)

claymore
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Will you take my fish off the hook for me though - thats the big question :D

I already know you will rig me the right way ;)If you just called Chaz a rigger, Im offended. :rolleyes:

OB
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM
If you just called Chaz a rigger, Im offended. :rolleyes:

:pound: :pound:
My bad

Skinny
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM

And I just canceled my trip to Table Rock for Mem. Day Weekend - so there goes my first fishing trip of the year :sad:Table Rock North Carolina?? Been there a few times as a boy scout on camping trips, decent trout fishing, perch too. It would have been better if me and a freind did'nt get caught trying to borrow the park rangers canoe, fishing from the bank sucks ...

SR
04-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Just seems wrong to not have a fishing thread in here.

There is a fishing thread here.

I want to go fishing on the Trinity River for Gar or at PK for some monster Catfish.

OB
04-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Table Rock North Carolina?? Been there a few times as a boy scout on camping trips, decent trout fishing, perch too. It would have been better if me and a freind did'nt get caught trying to borrow the park rangers canoe, fishing from the bank sucks ...

No - MO - used to be a river then made it into a lake - it stretches for hundreds of miles - we get these cabins that kick ass - pics on myspace - its all i would ever want if i had a choice - although not necessarily there - i need my ocean - and this part of the country bites ass in that category :tsk::tsk:

SR
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Did some fishing yesterday. I was using my 7' Ugly Stick/Zebco open face reel combo with a 3oz weight and #2 treble hook with chicken liver as bait hoping to catch some big Catfish...but all I kept catching was friggin Perch. The area where I was fishing was off of a dam and I know for a fact the water was about 20' or so with a ledge under the water so there are big fish to be caught in that area...but this damn Perch kept biting. I forgot my knife at the house, otherwise I would have cut them up and used them as bait. Mad face.

OB
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
The owner of Falcon rods (their company is right behind the rest.) comes in all the time - he is a cantankerous, male chauvinist cheap ass MF'r

Flatinum
05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Went fishing this weekend just outside of Ottawa (4 hrs Northeast of Toronto). We were fishing for pickeral (walleye), bass isn't open yet, but it still didn't stop my 5 year old Jack from hauling in a couple of nice one's.

3 pounder

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/Photo_050908_003.jpg

6.5 pounder

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/Photo_050908_009.jpg

OB
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Went fishing this weekend just outside of Ottawa (4 hrs Northeast of Toronto). We were fishing for pickeral (walleye), bass isn't open yet, but it still didn't stop my 5 year old Jack from hauling in a couple of nice one's.

3 pounder

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/Photo_050908_003.jpg

6.5 pounder

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/Photo_050908_009.jpg

Dang - nice fish - very cute kid too :2thumbs:

Flatinum
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
What makes the story even better is that if you look in the background we're fishing on a 8ft wall. Once Jack got the fish to the bottom I had to lift them up this wall without losing them. Which I did. We were so pumped up.

Jack would fish 24/7 if he could. My father gave him $40 when we visited him and Jack spent the entire amount on fishing lures. What 5 year old does that?

OB
05-12-2008, 02:30 PM
What makes the story even better is that if you look in the background we're fishing on a 8ft wall. Once Jack got the fish to the bottom I had to lift them up this wall without losing them. Which I did. We were so pumped up.

Jack would fish 24/7 if he could. My father gave him $40 when we visited him and Jack spent the entire amount on fishing lures. What 5 year old does that?

Maybe got a pro lurking ;)

Next to golf i cant think of a better sport for a kid to go pro at these days, MHO, of course

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Nice fish. Keep the kid going, enter him in some junior tourneys, etc. As long as he has a love for it and comprehends the science of it...he's got a shot.

Flatinum
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe got a pro lurking ;)

Next to golf i cant think of a better sport for a kid to go pro at these days, MHO, of course

He hits a golf ball pretty good for a 5 year old as well. We go to the range and play pitch and putt at least twice a week. He was hitting a baseball (underhand) at 3 and he's a southpaw, he can't reach the rim with an official basketball but the form is there when he's shooting, he's a very good skater (hockey player) for a 5 year old as well. It seems anything athletic comes to him naturally.

OB
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
No golf this w/e but floated n fished the Illinois - my guy caught the biggest small mouth he ever caught - had to be 5++ pounds - we didnt have camera :tsk::tsk:

frauschieze
06-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I actually went and bought a fishing license last weekend so I guess I better take my kid out and use it. Here goes nothing.

SR
06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I just bought a new bass rod/baitcaster. I got an Abu Garcia rod and reel set up. The reel is a 7-bearing, 6.2:1 ratio. I was supposed to go bass fishing tomorrow, but it's supposed to be really, really windy again so we're not going.

frauschieze
06-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Her 3rd cast of the day:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2559052263_557f1a2094_o.jpg

Slick
06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I found someones rod and reel in about 110ft of water yesterday. About 4 days ago I saw a barracuda with a hook in his mouth dragging about 15 ft of line.

I've been eating yellow snapper fish tacos almost once a week for about 6 months straight. Fresh fish is good!

oubronco
06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
No - MO - used to be a river then made it into a lake - it stretches for hundreds of miles - we get these cabins that kick ass - pics on myspace - its all i would ever want if i had a choice - although not necessarily there - i need my ocean - and this part of the country bites ass in that category :tsk::tsk:

I love Table Rock lake we go over to Branson at least once a year

where in OK do you live ?

I'm in Bartlesville

Flatinum
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Jack was at it again this weekend. Lake Simcoe, north of Toronto. No luck with live bait, so he wanted to try his luck with a spoon.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/JackLakeSimcoeJune08.jpg

SR
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I took my Abu Garcia reel back and traded it in for a Solene reel. The Garcia's handle felt a little grainy to me and it was bothering me. The Solene was $50, but feels so much smoother than the Garcia. It's also a 7-bearing, 6.2:1 with 8lb test. I'll be running 14lb Spider Wire on it for the time being. I'm actually going fishing in about an hour and a half at Lake Fort Phantom near Abilene. I'm going to be testing out some new "Bleeding Shad" Rattle Traps along with a couple new spinners. If I catch anything worth a shit, I'll post pictures later.

SR
06-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Today was an awesome day fishing. Me, my buddy Doug, and his father in law took the boat out to lake Coleman, about 50 miles south east of Abilene. I used Rattle Traps all day. Between the three of us, in about four hours we caught about 40 fish, kept 23 of them. Most of the fish we caught that we kept were white bass. We kept a few of the large mouth we caught as well, but only about five or six. The "Catch of the Day" award amongst us three went to me. I caught a five pound, 20" large mouth on a dark blue and silver Rattle Trap. She looked like she probably still had some eggs left in her. All in all, good day. I've got photos on my camera, so I'll upload them to Photobucket and post them later.

SR
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Went to Lake Fort Phantom a little while ago not expecting to catch shit because it's windy and hot out (about 90), but I found this nice, quiet little cove surrounded by big mesquite trees that grew out of the water and created lots of natural cover and shade. Using a Booyah! charteuse (sp?) spinner bait I caught a decent sized 3lb large mouth and I also caught a really nice 4-4.5lb largemouth with a top water lure that I can't remember the brand name of...it's the kind with a flat nose and rattles in it that splashes really big when you jerk it. That's what she said.

SR
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/My%20Stuff/photo1.jpg

OB
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Nice catch SR - we didnt have any luck over the weekend - but the water is like 82 degrees and muddy as shit - all these damn lakes are nothing but big gigantic mud puddles :mad: - it grosses me out -

And freakin people on those damn ski doos - they drive me nuts - there was so much BS on the lake this weekend it was almost annoying - well at times it was annoying - i dont know why people think just cause they have the money for a boat that they should get one - more people than not have NO common sense when it comes to boating -

Sorry for the rant - but so many stupid people pissed me off this weekend

OB
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Jack was at it again this weekend. Lake Simcoe, north of Toronto. No luck with live bait, so he wanted to try his luck with a spoon.

Kick ass - your kid can catch some fish flat :2thumbs: way to go :elefant:

rcsodak
07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice catch SR - we didnt have any luck over the weekend - but the water is like 82 degrees and muddy as shit - all these damn lakes are nothing but big gigantic mud puddles :mad: - it grosses me out -

And freakin people on those damn ski doos - they drive me nuts - there was so much BS on the lake this weekend it was almost annoying - well at times it was annoying - i dont know why people think just cause they have the money for a boat that they should get one - more people than not have NO common sense when it comes to boating -

Sorry for the rant - but so many stupid people pissed me off this weekend

lmao...gee...whodathunkit. People on a lake over july 4th weekend.....:rolleyes:

you crack me up, 420..... :lol:

rcsodak
07-10-2008, 10:21 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/My%20Stuff/photo1.jpg

That's catch-n-release size, ingRed...... :cool:

rcsodak
07-10-2008, 10:23 PM

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/Flatinum/JackLakeSimcoeJune08.jpg

perfect sized jake to eat.

yummmmm

*watch out for those Y bones-hate those damn things*

rcsodak
07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey, ingRed....

...rumor has it, old chap, that you can fit 4 crawlers on a #6 hook.

Know what that makes you, dontcha?!?!?

SR
07-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey, ingRed....

...rumor has it, old chap, that you can fit 4 crawlers on a #6 hook.

Know what that makes you, dontcha?!?!?

I have no idea what you're talking about rc. I don't use #6 treble hooks because I bass fish mostly...only time I bait a treble hook is for cat fishing and I hate cat fish.

and yes, that bass was only about 2.5 lbs at the most, but I only caught a couple fish that day and that was the biggest one. It was a fatty. And I caught that sumbitch on a top water lure...you see how choppy that water is?! I caught it in the bushes over my left shoulder.

SR
07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Here's a picture of the 3.5-4lb largemouth I caught today. It was hard to take a picture with that big sum bitch floppin around with the hook right through his head between his eyes, but I managed to get one with my phone. I was using a Booyah white and black spinner bait.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Biggun.jpg

SR
07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I caught this guy on the same black and white Booyah spinner that I caught the one above with.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Bass.jpg

tubby
07-18-2008, 10:31 PM
That's it. I'm catching something this weekend.

SR
07-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I catch something damn near every time I go, but usually I only take pictures of the ones that are big enough to keep. Otherwise I just chunk 'em.

tubby
07-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I catch something damn near every time I go, but usually I only take pictures of the ones that are big enough to keep. Otherwise I just chunk 'em.

I never keep anything. Fish is gross.

Watchthemiddle
07-18-2008, 11:12 PM

What about red fine tuna?

tubby
07-18-2008, 11:13 PM
What about red fine tuna?

I gave that up after we married. Fair is fair.

Watchthemiddle
07-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I gave that up after we married. Fair is fair.

Fish Tacos?

SR
07-19-2008, 12:34 AM

I don't usually keep anything either.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Coleman.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0110.jpg

OB
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Went night fishing sat. night - 11pm - 4am - full moon cool breeze - it kicked ass

No people (the best part) - no jet skis, no waiting at the boat docks

No sun (also cool) cause usually there is no place to get out of the sun once youre out on the lake - and a bass boat doesnt afford much sun protection (actually none)

Only caught 1 fish though - but still had a great time

We dont keep the fish anyways - i hate all seafood - ALL and it keeps the lakes populated

SR
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
We went Saturday morning forgetting it was a full moon Friday night. I caught one alligator gar and that's it. I didn't even bring that sum bitch in the boat...cut the line as soon as I pulled it up and saw it was a gar.

tubby
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I caught 2 small cutthroat trout.

BeefStew25
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Beginning of August I am lobstering down in the Keys. I will post pics.

SR
07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Caught this beaut this morning.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Coreysbass.jpg

Nomad
07-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Nice fish, SR! Stripers and largemouth:beer:! We just came back from Kessler AFB (wife went to NCOA) (me and the kids spent 6 wks at home in La) and me and the kids spents 4 days fishing at the marina and they had a blast. I'm not sure how good some here are at cast-netting but I grew up in SW La and cast netting is second nature. We threw the net out, got some bait fish and hit the speckled trout like crazy (and chrokers). It was alot of fun.

And last year when the rivers started to thaw up here in NODAK, the northern pike were hitting like crazy, they remind me of a garfish somewhat by their aggression.

Anyway, nice fish and I'm jealous!:beer:

SR
07-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Sometimes I'll throw out a cast net to catch some shad, but I don't like using live baits.

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about rc. I don't use #6 treble hooks because I bass fish mostly...only time I bait a treble hook is for cat fishing and I hate cat fish.

and yes, that bass was only about 2.5 lbs at the most, but I only caught a couple fish that day and that was the biggest one. It was a fatty. And I caught that sumbitch on a top water lure...you see how choppy that water is?! I caught it in the bushes over my left shoulder.

I didn't say treble hook, ingRed....... :rolleyes:

So quit avoiding the question! :D

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Here's a picture of the 3.5-4lb largemouth I caught today. It was hard to take a picture with that big sum bitch floppin around with the hook right through his head between his eyes, but I managed to get one with my phone. I was using a Booyah white and black spinner bait.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Biggun.jpg

Just got back from vacation....spent some time at my aunt's 'cabin' on Pickerel Lake in northeast SD. Caught some nice smallies....about the same size as your bigmouth. *sorry* wink
I'll post the pics from my phone if I figure out howto again.
Plus, was reminded WHY you don't leave a pole unattended! It was like a torpedo flying off the dock. Luckily, snagged it a couple hours later.

Also had a 1.5hr battle....didn't know what it was....but when it wanted to run, I let it....and would start working it back in only to have it put the brakes on. After all was said and done, it turned out to be a twelve pounder!.....

....carp!

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I hope you're a gurl. :laugh:

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Went night fishing sat. night - 11pm - 4am - full moon cool breeze - it kicked ass

No people (the best part) - no jet skis, no waiting at the boat docks

No sun (also cool) cause usually there is no place to get out of the sun once youre out on the lake - and a bass boat doesnt afford much sun protection (actually none)

Only caught 1 fish though - but still had a great time

We dont keep the fish anyways - i hate all seafood - ALL and it keeps the lakes populated

Gee, OB...didn't know there was a sea in OK for you to take fish from?

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Caught this beaut this morning.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/Coreysbass.jpg
nice finger....... lol

...nice fish too. wink

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Sometimes I'll throw out a cast net to catch some shad, but I don't like using live baits.

lol...and I know why......:laugh:

rcsodak
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Here's to nothing.....

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b16a984bf2.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/297a407687.jpg

Hope you have a magnifying glass.....

SR
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Shut up Mike! Quit picking on me! I'm going fishing this evening.

SR
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Did some fishing this morning. Had a GREAT day. My buddy Corey and I went out to the lake around 0630, right as the sun was coming up. The hybrid striper were jumping like crazy when we got there. I was using an O2 Express top water lure and cast after cast I was catching 4-6 lb hybrids. Those sons of bitches are VICIOUS. I've never caught them before, usually just white bass and large mouth. But man, great fighters. I was having to cast out probably 150-200 feet to get where the hybrids were jumping after the shad, but once I set my reel up right to go out that far, I was bringing them in like crazy. Then once it started getting warmer they moved farther out in to deeper water and we couldn't get to them from the shore anymore and moved over to our large mouth spot. I only caught a couple 2-3 pounders on buzz bait and a popper, but Corey caught a 6-7 pound large mouth. That fish was HUGE. We didn't get any pictures because right when he lifted it out of the water, it got off. I tried to reach in the water to stick my thumb in his mouth because I couldn't get my little hands around that thing's fat body, but flopped around then swam off. Pictures coming later.

SR
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Here's a few from this morning.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0337.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0338.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0339.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0340.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/IMG_0341.jpg

Nomad
08-02-2008, 05:36 PM
You must have your own honey hole, SR! Are these lakes near Dyess?

SR
08-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I sure do! All of the pictures I've posted of me on the shore are right where these are. In the bottom two, where the shoreline goes back behind me, there's a really nice little cove where the BIG largemouth like to hang out in the grass. That's where my buddy caught that biggun today. This lake is Lake Fort Phantom and it's about 20 minutes northeast of Dyess.

We got some good rain yesterday and no moon last night with no wind this morning, so the lake was like glass and the stripers and white bass were jumping like crazy when we first got out there. As it got warmer they kept moving out farther. The bottom two I caught that fish with a 1/2oz spoon. The only reason I was using it was because that's all I had that would get out far enough to have a hope at the striper as it got later.

OB
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Wheres the pic of Buffs big catch :pound:

Good fishin there SR - hopefully going floating down the Illinois thursday - maybe catch some decent small mouth - but we havent had rain in 4ever (it feels like) and going on a couple of weeks of 9+ days - today 105 (in the friggin shade)

OB
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Gee, OB...didn't know there was a sea in OK for you to take fish from?

Bite me RC (for old times sake :lol: )

Im from CT so I know what seafood is - anything that comes from the water is gross :eviltongue:

Took my son to Joes Crab Shack last night - OMFG - it was horrid - he enjoyed his crabs but everything else totally sucked - i will never ever ever go there again

$9 for a margarita :eek:

My chicken sandwich was undercooked - I ordered my 2nd drink when our food came out and didnt get it until we had finished dinner - my daughter got about 10 (and im not kidding) french fries with her $12 meal

Place was ridiculous :coffee:

SR
08-18-2008, 01:48 PM
This bass right here trumps all of the others I've ever caught. She weighed between 6-7 lbs. Caught her right where I catch all the others I've posted pictures of. We've had about 4" of rain in the past two days and the lake has risen about 2-3' and it hasn't been over 77 for the past two days (three counting today so far) and the large mouth were ALL shallow. They were jumping all over the place, but I couldn't peg any of them except this bad boy. At first I couldn't tell if it was a mammoth or one of those small, strong buggers. Here's the pics.

Don't laugh. The hooks were in a funny spot, I had never caught a bass this big, she was bleeding like crazy, and I was in a hurry. So what if I was holding it funny. EDIT: In the second picture, there were hooks. In the first picture, I was holding it funny because I had my fingers in its mouth. I couldn't hold her with just a thumb in the mouth.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/whopperjr.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/whopper.jpg

SR
10-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Here's one from today out at Cisco, TX about an hour east of Abilene. Not real big, but it's all we got.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/HerkCC/fishing/untitled-12.jpg

OB
10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Went today i didnt catch shit but my guy caught about 9/10 with a two good 4+ pound large mouths - ill get his digicam and try to show ya

I attribute my fishing style to MO's sex life - i have the right bait - i cast it out - i get a few nibbles but cant ever set the damn hook :laugh:

Wait a great freakin day though - weather was perfection fish were biting

we were up and gone by 630 but the damn boat battery wasnt charged so we didnt get to leave till 845

waters were choppy (windy) and bass boats werent made for comfort - good thing i dont get sea sick

stayed out till 600 - my face is red as fuc

but all in all a totally awesome day (cept the broncos f'n it all up :mad: )

glad to see u SR - was thinking about u today

SR
10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Went today i didnt catch shit but my guy caught about 9/10 with a two good 4+ pound large mouths - ill get his digicam and try to show ya

I attribute my fishing style to MO's sex life - i have the right bait - i cast it out - i get a few nibbles but cant ever set the damn hook :laugh:

Wait a great freakin day though - weather was perfection fish were biting

we were up and gone by 630 but the damn boat battery wasnt charged so we didnt get to leave till 845

waters were choppy (windy) and bass boats werent made for comfort - good thing i dont get sea sick

stayed out till 600 - my face is red as fuc

but all in all a totally awesome day (cept the broncos f'n it all up :mad: )

glad to see u SR - was thinking about u today

Water was a bit choppy at the lake I was at Saturday, but the lake had a lot of good coves and such that were pretty well guarded from the wind. We were Carolina rigging over by the damn in 40' of water, but didn't catch anything there.

What were you thinking about me for?

OB
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Water was a bit choppy at the lake I was at Saturday, but the lake had a lot of good coves and such that were pretty well guarded from the wind. We were Carolina rigging over by the damn in 40' of water, but didn't catch anything there.

What were you thinking about me for?

Hadnt seen you around in awhile and well i was fishing - wondering how u n brie were doin - etc... i do think about this site too much though :ahhhhh:

It was just such a perfect day - overcast - breezy (we found a cove or two and thats where he caught his two 4+ pounders) the shad were jumping like crazy - nothing to do but fish, think, read and relax - it was a perfect day - i needed it - i need like 4 or 5 of them in a row though ;)

SR
10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I caught the biggest fish I've ever seen tonight. My buddy Doug and I took his father in law's bass boat out to Lake Fort Phantom, where I usually go because it's close, and we trolled over to this little cove to fish for largemouth. Shad were jumping all around us, so we figured it would be a good place to fish for bass. So I cast out a crank bait that was chrome on bottom and dark blue on top and dove to about 3-6'. All of a sudden I felt like I got hung up or got a hit, so I set the hooks. I was reeling and reeling and not getting anywhere so I asked Doug to back up with the trolling motor. All of a sudden my line tightened back up and jerked my rod damn near out of my hands. I started reeling and cranking and reeling, but this damn fish would not come toward the boat for anything. After a couple minutes of fighting, I get the fish near the boat and it surfaced. It was an Alligator Gar that was about 4' long and probably weighed in around 30-40 pounds. I snagged him right behind his right side fin. There was no way I was bringing that devil fish in to the boat. Doug and I thought I had a trophy bass and we were both super excited while I was fighting and bringing it in, but once that fish got close to the boat we just got silent. Neither one of us had seen an Alligator Gar that big before. He was chillin next to the side of the boat for a minute, then just thrashed, jumped out of the water, and my line broke. It was an awesome adrenaline rush though.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=3652404&campaign=rsssrch&source=denver+broncos

Cooper's new team
Former Denver Broncos lineman finds camaraderie in fishing

When Mark Cooper hung up his cleats for a business suit, he had no realistic expectation that he'd ever find the level of excitement and camaraderie he'd enjoyed during his playing days.

He assumed the days of bonding with a close-knit group of guys, all linked together for a common goal —winning — would never again materialize.

Former Denver Bronco Mark Cooper is one of the celebrities fishing this weekend's Mercury Redbone Celebrity Tournament Series.
Then he discovered competitive fishing. That changed his life, he now says.

"It was like being in the NFL all over again," says Cooper, who did stints with the Denver Broncos, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Cleveland Browns. "The camaraderie in fishing is just like the camaraderie in the NFL. Many of these guys fish the same tournaments, so you see the same guys over and over. And they compete against one another on an annual basis. It's exciting."

Aside from taking part in the ESPN Outdoors Saltwater Series Mercury Southernmost Light-Tackle Anglers Masters Celebrity Tournament trail, he also hosts his own celebrity fly fishing tournament, the Mercury Redbone @ Large, in Colorado, where he makes his home. He also travels widely to be a part of the inshore saltwater tournament scene.

Cooper's tall, athletic build gives away his former profession, which included guarding quarterbacks like John Elway, Vinny Testaverde and Steve DeBerg, among others. But most people who meet Cooper, now a successful real estate salesman, will be pleasantly surprised at the fact that most of his stories surround fishing, not ball playing.

As he tells it, after leaving the NFL, he longed for a sport that gave him the same level of satisfaction that he'd enjoyed in the NFL.

He found it when he picked up a fly rod on a saltwater trip.

"These guys put a fly rod in my hand, and I fell in love," says Cooper, as he sits beside a popular dock in Key West, watching the boats come and go. "I had never found that feeling before I picked up that rod. I was hooked."

He was so in love that, once back at home, he created a casting platform in his back yard to gain proficiency at casting. Apparently it's paid off.

He's now a solid angler, able to make the precise casts necessary for snook, bonefish, tarpon, redfish and permit in gin-clear water.

"The visual aspect, seeing everything happen right in front of you is what I love," he says. "There are so many things to account for: boat speed, wind, fish speed — all those elements have to come together to make for a successful outing."

When Cooper is not traveling or selling real estate, he can be found blogging for the Denver Broncos (www.denverbroncos.com) or indulging another of his passions, writing outdoor features.

He's written for The Denver Post, Florida Sportsman, Key West Magazine and the Redbone Journal. Make no mistake, though, being an active participant in the sport of angling is his real love. And it's a cause he's taken up with zeal, encouraging anyone he meets to give the sport a try.

"I tell people that if they try it, it will change their life," he says. "It changed mine. A lot of people go through life without a real passion. You've got to be passionate about something, right? This is my passion."

OB
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I caught the biggest fish I've ever seen tonight. My buddy Doug and I took his father in law's bass boat out to Lake Fort Phantom, where I usually go because it's close, and we trolled over to this little cove to fish for largemouth. Shad were jumping all around us, so we figured it would be a good place to fish for bass. So I cast out a crank bait that was chrome on bottom and dark blue on top and dove to about 3-6'. All of a sudden I felt like I got hung up or got a hit, so I set the hooks. I was reeling and reeling and not getting anywhere so I asked Doug to back up with the trolling motor. All of a sudden my line tightened back up and jerked my rod damn near out of my hands. I started reeling and cranking and reeling, but this damn fish would not come toward the boat for anything. After a couple minutes of fighting, I get the fish near the boat and it surfaced. It was an Alligator Gar that was about 4' long and probably weighed in around 30-40 pounds. I snagged him right behind his right side fin. There was no way I was bringing that devil fish in to the boat. Doug and I thought I had a trophy bass and we were both super excited while I was fighting and bringing it in, but once that fish got close to the boat we just got silent. Neither one of us had seen an Alligator Gar that big before. He was chillin next to the side of the boat for a minute, then just thrashed, jumped out of the water, and my line broke. It was an awesome adrenaline rush though.

Those are some big mothers for sure and U G L Y

Did you feel bad for snagging him - My first bass i caught swallowed the hook and I felt bad (cause we catch and release) I dont know why - must be a girl thing :lol:

I got to learn how to set a damn hook though - i dont know why i cant do it :mad:

Guess it just something you learn with practice

SR
10-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I didn't feel bad. I was more pissed that I lost one of my favorite crank baits. Setting the hook is a VERY useful and under-utilized technique. You want to generate as much rod speed as possible in the quickest period of time possible. A lot of it is in the wrists. Once you feel that hit, use your wrists to jerk the nose of your rod straight up and back.

Any time you feel like you got a hit, set the hook. It might be grass, a log, sticks, or a brush, but you never know, so set the hook.

Do you fish with a bobber and worm or do you use lures?

OB
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I didn't feel bad. I was more pissed that I lost one of my favorite crank baits. Setting the hook is a VERY useful and under-utilized technique. You want to generate as much rod speed as possible in the quickest period of time possible. A lot of it is in the wrists. Once you feel that hit, use your wrists to jerk the nose of your rod straight up and back.

Any time you feel like you got a hit, set the hook. It might be grass, a log, sticks, or a brush, but you never know, so set the hook.

Do you fish with a bobber and worm or do you use lures?

Lures - my guy never fishes with live bait - i grew up fishing with worms and bobbers and all i ever caught was sunfish (thats what we called them) :lol: - but you didnt have to set the hook

I do as you say but to no avail - idk what i do wrong :confused:

Im pretty good at casting though

I usually fish with a centipede - but this last time he put a crank bait on for me - he was using a crank bait and a spinner bait - idk though he has like 100,000 lures on his boat - i kid you not - he used to fish tourneys - and he does get super pissed if he loses one of his favorite lures - i think thats why he always gives me the shitty ones ;)

Nomad
01-24-2009, 10:39 AM
The fish should start spawning soon SR! I miss going down those bayous and marshes and the bass are so aggressive at this time of the year (late Jan/Feb/March) and when you can get into a mess of bream or white perch(crappie), it's alot of fun! We won't see water around here until May!:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/watercooler/Angler.Breaks.Colorado.2.1113242.html (click on link to see picture)

Angler Breaks Colorado Channel Catfish Record

An Aurora man has broken the state record for channel catfish with a 35-pounder caught in Aurora Reservoir.

The state Division of Wildlife says Mike Stone caught the 37-inch fish on July 26. It weighed 35.22 pounds.

The previous record was 33.5 pounds, set in 1994 by John McKeever at Hertha Reservoir in Larimer County.