PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Parker??why

BANJOPICKER1
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Are we just doing this for depth??I dont get it?HELP ME!!!:D

Though the AFC West is becoming a division of bigger receivers, the Broncos went against the grain and reached an agreement in principle with 190-pound Samie Parker of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Parker

Parker's agent, Jordan Woy, was out of the country Monday, but he was putting the final touches on a contract for Parker. Terms of the deal weren't available, but it was close enough that Parker was making preparations to sign the contract.

The 27-year-old Parker started 22 games over the past two seasons for the Chiefs. He caught 41 passes in 2006 and 24 passes in seven starts last year. Parker was a 2004 fourth-round pick of the Chiefs.

At the owners meetings more than a week ago, Chiefs coach Herman Edwards said teams in the AFC West were moving to taller, bigger and more physical wide receivers because of the physical zone defenses in the division. Last year, the Chiefs used a first-round choice on Dwayne Bowe, who is 6-2, 221 pounds. The Raiders brought in Javon Walker.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Though the AFC West is becoming a division of bigger receivers, the Broncos went against the grain and reached an agreement in principle with 190-pound Samie Parker of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Parker

Parker's agent, Jordan Woy, was out of the country Monday, but he was putting the final touches on a contract for Parker. Terms of the deal weren't available, but it was close enough that Parker was making preparations to sign the contract.

The 27-year-old Parker started 22 games over the past two seasons for the Chiefs. He caught 41 passes in 2006 and 24 passes in seven starts last year. Parker was a 2004 fourth-round pick of the Chiefs.

At the owners meetings more than a week ago, Chiefs coach Herman Edwards said teams in the AFC West were moving to taller, bigger and more physical wide receivers because of the physical zone defenses in the division. Last year, the Chiefs used a first-round choice on Dwayne Bowe, who is 6-2, 221 pounds. The Raiders brought in Javon Walker.

Parker

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3346946

MOtorboat
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
We've been talking about it all day.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12768&page=7

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Parker is a speed guy with big-play ability and Denver needs a guy like that.

underrated29
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
he will be what wes welker was to the pats.

Without him the pats would not have gone undefeated. He converted like all their 3rd downs and was so quick that he would beat all the single coverage guys.

We got marshall, we got another big guy in kolbert we need a speedy little man who can pick up the 3rds and use on screens to beat his man one on one.

MOtorboat
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM

Without him the pats would not have gone undefeated. He converted like all their 3rd downs and was so quick that he would beat all the single coverage guys.

We got marshall, we got another big guy in kolbert we need a speedy little man who can pick up the 3rds and use on screens to beat his man one on one.

:rofl:

BANJOPICKER1
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I just dont get it,I saw the post but to me its the last thing we need..If he really is a speedster then cool,but I saw remarks he has dropping issues??I see the need for depth at training camp but couldnt we get anyone for that?

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

MOtorboat
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I just dont get it,I saw the post but to me its the last thing we need..If he really is a speedster then cool,but I saw remarks he has dropping issues??I see the need for depth at training camp but couldnt we get anyone for that?

Dropping issues is an understatement. The numbers posted by Boss were generous. The guy doesn't run good routes, he drops balls and he's lackadaisical. I understand the competition aspect, but seriously, this dude sucks.

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I've got no problem bringing him in. He's a speed guy that can compete not only for the #2 receiver spot, but kick returner also. If he doesn't work out, cut him. I'm guessing it's neither a major contract or a guarunteed one. Competition is good. Let's bring as many receivers in as we can, and sort through them during training camp and preseason.

Fan in Exile
04-15-2008, 08:30 AM

I believe in this case Samie Parker is just anyone. Although I certainly am hoping that he turns into more.

LRtagger
04-15-2008, 08:32 AM
copy and pasted article FTL

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Some of you are acting like Elam was cut to bring in super star Samie Parker. My goodness... he signed for pratically nothing and has some upside still. I don't remember this many people being upset over the David Terrell signing a couple years back.

yardog
04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Parker, 27, was to receive the minimum $605,000 salary, plus a $40,000 signing bonus.

BANJOPICKER1
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
It just seems to me there are better ways to spend 640 grand than to bring in someone who cannot hold on to the ball.How many RB'S have we dumped because they cant hold on to the ball??Now its a WR who most folks say has a major case of the dropsies..

Why have someone compete for the #2 spot if he cant catch,no matter how fast he is...Bring Rice back,at least he could catch (sometimes)..:D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:salute:

broncosr#1
04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
u cant have too many wr.

broncosr#1
04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
i say trade for mcfadder and long...........both longs

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
It just seems to me there are better ways to spend 640 grand than to bring in someone who cannot hold on to the ball.How many RB'S have we dumped because they cant hold on to the ball??Now its a WR who most folks say has a major case of the dropsies..

Why have someone compete for the #2 spot if he cant catch,no matter how fast he is...Bring Rice back,at least he could catch (sometimes)..:D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:salute:

He had 4 drops in 2006 and 5 drops in 2007, Show me a list of wide outs in the NFL that doesn't drop passes.

If you think any of these guys aren't on that list you would be wrong because they all had more than 5 drops in 2007:

Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Terrell Owens
Brandon Marshall
Chad Johnson
Santana Moss

BroncoJoe
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
He had 4 drops in 2006 and 5 drops in 2007, Show me a list of wide outs in the NFL that doesn't drop passes.

If you think any of these guys aren't on that list you would be wrong because they all had more than 5 drops in 2007:

Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Terrell Owens
Brandon Marshall
Chad Johnson
Santana Moss

What are the percentages thrown to though. Dude wasn't on the field near the amount of time the above were.

BANJOPICKER1
04-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Terrell Owens
Brandon Marshall
Chad Johnson
Santana Moss
I guess I could go online and find how many yards and td's each of the WR's you speak of have and compair it to Parker,if you want..Instead I am just going to accept that you LIKE Parker,,cool..

Anyway,is this really whats best for Denver,I guess I just dont know but I do hope he works out (like bosshogg).:D

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 08:27 PM
What are the percentages thrown to though. Dude wasn't on the field near the amount of time the above were.

The percentage includes poor passes, drops, and interceptions

12 drops Randy Moss 43.3% Percent Caught
6 drops Andre Johnson 62.8%
10 drops Chad Johnson 57.2%
12 drops Plaxico Burress 52.1%
5 drops Samie Parker 60.3%
12 drops Brandon Marshall 54.1%
7 drops Donte Stallworth 48.7%
16 drops Terrell Owens 55.9%

BeefStew25
04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I can't believe we blew our whole cap on Sammy Parker. I guess we took Andrew Mason's $40,000 to pay this guy.

That is it. The 2008 season does not exist to me.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Parker is an inconsistent pass catcher.

Davii
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Just curious.

There seems to be a lot of complaining about the guys salary, even though it seems to me like peanuts compared to other WR contracts.

If he doesn't pan out, and doesn't make the team and gets cut, how much of his salary do we owe him, how does he count against the cap, etc?

BeefStew25
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Just curious.

There seems to be a lot of complaining about the guys salary, even though it seems to me like peanuts compared to other WR contracts.

If he doesn't pan out, and doesn't make the team and gets cut, how much of his salary do we owe him, how does he count against the cap, etc?

The salary is not guaranteed. If he sucks and we cut him, we are out $40,000. Or one of Bowlen's fur coats.

Big deal. Risk reward.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Just curious.

That's true. I admit that while I'm lukewarm to him being on the team the fact is he's not costing Denver much in the way of salary.

Davii
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
The salary is not guaranteed. If he sucks and we cut him, we are out $40,000. Or one of Bowlen's fur coats.

Big deal. Risk reward.

Makes sense to have him on the roster at this point to me then. If he shows he's got the skills then he makes the team, if not, he gets his 40k and goes away.

BeefStew25
04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I really don't know what the big deal is. We have Glenn Martinez.

Davii
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM

Yeah, but he returned a kick for a touchdown once. Or something.

Medford Bronco
04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
i say trade for mcfadder and long...........both longs

ok GM how are we going to pull that one off :lol:

Medford Bronco
04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but he returned a kick for a touchdown once. Or something.

didnt the whole other team fall down bascially to have that happen vs Pitt?

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Martinez did very solid job for us returning punts. He averaged 11.21 yards per return.

Davii
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
didnt the whole other team fall down bascially to have that happen vs Pitt?

He returned a, I believe, punt for a touchdown against the Bears last season.

BANJOPICKER1
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
So 40 grand and another roster spot??What rookie do we have to dump now to try this feller out?:D
GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:salute:

Davii
04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
So 40 grand and another roster spot??What rookie do we have to dump now to try this feller out?:D
GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:salute:

Read back earlier in the thread, there was a list of names, see those guys you've never heard of....

yep... that's them.

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
ok GM how are we going to pull that one off :lol:

By giving up every pick we have for the next eight drafts.

BANJOPICKER1
04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Read back earlier in the thread, there was a list of names, see those guys you've never heard of....

yep... that's them.
Kinda what I thunk!!!:D
GOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!:salute:

BANJOPICKER1
04-17-2008, 09:34 PM
D Jackson,He da man,,,Dump parker now...:D
GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!:salute:

Dreadnought
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
My biggest regret about having Parker in a Broncos uniform is that he will no longer be playing for the Chiefs. There was something reassuring about seeing him on the field in a third and long situation for them. Oh well, all good things come to an end eventually.

He is a complete stiff, and I'd give him slim odds of making the 53 man roster. I sure hope he doesn't.