PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Paxton question

Dirk
04-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Ok, I know he isn't real big, but he is 6'2" 281lbs.

Why is it that he only pulls long snapping duties? If he can hold his own doing that, could he possibly hold his own during normal formations?

I guess my real question is why is there a necessity to have a LS and a C, and not have 1 be the same? Skill set has a lot to do with it I'm sure, but do all teams have a dedicated long snapper?

gobroncsnv
04-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Mike Leach used to be a back up tight end... Seems like I remember a few over the years being LB's (not necessarily being starters....) But if we're wanting to get bigger at the OL, especially going against 832 pound nose tackles, I just don't think Li'l Lonnie's the answer. He'd need to add about 20 to get a mention for consideration here.

Dirk
04-02-2010, 06:58 AM
especially going against 832 pound nose tackles, I just don't think Li'l Lonnie's the answer.

:lol:

I do understand that he wouldn't be the "answer" per se....was just wondering why he isn't say a backup or something like that.

Ravage!!!
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Ok, I know he isn't real big, but he is 6'2" 281lbs.

Why is it that he only pulls long snapping duties? If he can hold his own doing that, could he possibly hold his own during normal formations?

I guess my real question is why is there a necessity to have a LS and a C, and not have 1 be the same? Skill set has a lot to do with it I'm sure, but do all teams have a dedicated long snapper?

Yes.. most teams have a dedicated long-snapper. Its a very skilled position that takes a lot more skill than you realize.

Its throwing a two handed pass, over your head, backwards through your legs... on target.

Seems almost every season (not you) someone comes on here and questions why don't was just "teach" our center to long snap so that we can save the roster spot. Or, tells us how easy it shoudl be to teach someone to long-snap... and how they wouldn't have a dedicated LS (again, not pointing fingers at you).

But the reality is, its a very important position, that takes a lot of practice.... practice time that cant be dedicated to an OL that is working with the offense and working on game films of the opposing defenses they will face that week.

Dirk
04-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I understand totally that the long snapper is a skilled position. I wouldn't want any Tom, Dick or Harry putting the ball through their legs.

I was just wondering if he could be a back up, and or if any other long snappers are back ups.

Ravage!!!
04-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I understand totally that the long snapper is a skilled position. I wouldn't want any Tom, Dick or Harry putting the ball through their legs.

I was just wondering if he could be a back up, and or if any other long snappers are back ups.

I think some are. LIke it was pointed out, our last LS was a back-up TE.. probably 3rd or 4th on the list. Its hard for them to get any practice time in on the offense when they are practicing their job. Just as its hard for any starting OL to practice LS while practicing their job.

I will say, that I think you'll start seeing more people pulling double duty in Long Snapping because they ahve made it SOoooooo much easier on the long snapper with the new rules that protect them. It used to take a huge toll on the LS, and.. the practice practice practice was so much more important to make that LS second nature, because you had that NT right on your head about the crush you.... so the snap had to be so second-nature. Now, witht he new rules, teams can't put a guy right over the snapper to come crashing down.... so its not like someone is literally breathing down their neck on each snap.

BigBroncLove
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Another reason you won't see LS's utilized, even in the limited capacity of being in rotation, is injury concerns. Some LS's will backup players but usually its so far down in the depth chart that backup position would have to be decimated for the long snapper to see any downs outside of special teams. It's because the LS position has no backups for them. Having your long snapper rotate in or take downs at any other position increases the chances he himself will be injured. While injury is always a possibility for every position, when it comes to LS's there no one else behind them to fill the gap (at least with any reliability what so ever). After all the LS will take the field at some point during every drive (punt, FG, or extra point), and in each of those situations you want someone reliable snapping the ball. Also, in the event they do get injured, its difficult filling the position with a good free agent mid-season. There isn't a lot of LS's out there, let alone good ones, especially by seasons start.

Dirk
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Good points. Makes sense. I guess I am just uneasy about the lack of depth at the center position atm. I'm sure that it will be handled before the start of the season with the draft and what not.

Rick
04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
He is pretty athletic, I would think being put in as a Big TE or FB in short yardage / goalline would be workable but too small for being anywhere as a normal lineman.

muse
04-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I believe Chris Kuper's our backup, but LSs are so important - just ask the Bengals! I never saw Mike Leach botch a single snap - I think he had the fastest snap of anyone in the NFL. The rationale for bringing in Paxton was the fact that he is probably the most accurate. Either way, both of these guys are likely still going to be playing in their late 30s/early 40s...if you make 750k for about 15 years you'll be pretty well off when it's all done without being as beaten up as most other players.

frauschieze
04-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I love you guys. I didn't have to go into my normal "Why the hell you should be respecting the long snapper" routine. *hugs*

Also, on the backup role, after Rod Smith retired and before we got Eddie Royal, Mike Leach was our emergency backup quarterback. There was nothing more frightening than watching him on the sideline practicing taking snaps. :shocked: And I love the guy.

Ravage!!!
04-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I believe Chris Kuper's our backup, but LSs are so important - just ask the Bengals! I never saw Mike Leach botch a single snap - I think he had the fastest snap of anyone in the NFL. The rationale for bringing in Paxton was the fact that he is probably the most accurate. Either way, both of these guys are likely still going to be playing in their late 30s/early 40s...if you make 750k for about 15 years you'll be pretty well off when it's all done without being as beaten up as most other players.

it was because he was a patriot.....

honz
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Are you seriously questioning the great Lonnie Paxton? For shame.

Bosco
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
it was because he was a patriot.....

Kind of. McD brought him here because he knew that Paxton had the same kind of team first mentality that he desperately needed to bring with him to Denver.