View Full Version : Bleacher Report on Quinn Last Year

WARHORSE
04-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Written Sept 30, 2009

The Date: Apr. 26, 2007
Time: Desperation/First Round: 22nd Pick
The Choice: Notre Dame QB and Hometown Hero Brady Quinn
We all remember how this all started...
Quinn was the toast of the town and the Browns looked like masterminds. Although the Browns passed on Quinn with the third overall pick, he was still on their minds. It was like destiny when he heard his name called by the commissioner.
Finally, the Browns had the QB who was everything they needed and wanted.
What more could we have asked for; he had the look, the poise, and was a hometown kid.
This was a recipe for success and the "Great White Hope" would bring the Browns back from ridicule and futility.
Fast forward...
Game One: September 13th.
Eric Mangini names Brady Quinn starter, and Browns faithful have great hopes for the season.
Enter Minnesota, with talented running back Adrian Peterson, and some old guy named Favre.
Outcome: Vikings 34 Browns 20
Quinn's stat line: 21-35, 205 yds, one TD and one INT. 60 percent completion rate.
Not a bad line, especially when facing the D-Line that the Vikings smack you in the face with.
Game Two: September 20th.
Quinn is ready for his second consecutive start of the season; the Browns faced off against the Denver Broncos, who were a lucky play away from losing to the Bengals.
This was a game that we could win; but, as the saying goes: "That's why they play the game."
Outcome: Denver 27 Cleveland 6
Quinn's stat line: 18-31, 161 yds, no TDs and one INT. 58.1 percent completion rate.
Game Three: September 27th.
A division game against the Ravens should be enough to get anyone pumped!
The perfect game to turn things around; the Ravens defense was not the same as it was last year, so maybe the Browns offense would have some luck moving the ball.
Outcome: Baltimore 34 Cleveland 3
Quinn's state line: 6-8, 34 yds, no TDs, one INT. 75 percent completion rate.
Quinn was pulled in favor of back up Derek Anderson. Mangini hoped this would give the team a spark, since Anderson can put the ball down the field and has a better rapport with Braylon Edwards.
Outcome: Anderson: 11-19, 92 yds, no TDs, three INTs. 57.9 percent completion percentage.
So, after you digest the stats, what do you really know?
From my guess, not much. Both QBs have not had stellar games so far, but this was supposed to be Quinn's season.
We were supposed to let him fly and see what he can do. But, as we are well aware of, Mangini is not going to let that happen.
Is it a personal grudge?
Mangini did not like either of the QBs that he had on his roster when he arrived in Cleveland. If he could have gotten away with it, and not gotten run outta town, he would have traded them both and played the entire season with Brett Ratliff.
These are the guys we have. Both are very talented, and can start for this team. Mangini just needs to stop flopping back and forth and make a decision. Quinn, in my opinion, is the face of this franchise for years to come.
The buzz on blogs and message boards are calling Quinn a bust.
How is this a fair assessment? It is way too early for the comparisons to Ryan Leaf.
This kid is stil young, and trying to develop his craft at the professional level. Why don't we all get off his back and let him learn?
I know from being a die hard Browns fan, that we are desperately searching for someone or something that can bring us back to the proud glory days that we have been a part of.
This franchise is deep in history, so let's just sit back and let Brady Quinn make his own mark in the record books.
What do we have to lose?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/264268-brady-quinn-where-did-the-golden-boy-go-wrong

Dirk
04-02-2010, 06:12 AM
This franchise is deep in history,

:confused:

Um yeah.....but that franchise is in Baltimore now. If you want to get right down to it.

Dirk
04-02-2010, 06:13 AM
On another note, I have said on numerous occasions that Brady was never given a true chance to develop. You can't learn if you are a yo yo going in and out of games. No confidence is built and no learning is done when you are warming the bench every other game.

WARHORSE
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
On another note, I have said on numerous occasions that Brady was never given a true chance to develop. You can't learn if you are a yo yo going in and out of games. No confidence is built and no learning is done when you are warming the bench every other game.

Whats surprising is Anderson coming in to relieve Quinn, ends up throwing 3 INTs, and get the next start.

Barffling.:shocked:

BigBroncLove
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Whats surprising is Anderson coming in to relieve Quinn, ends up throwing 3 INTs, and get the next start.

Barffling.:shocked:

Mangini is a baffling guy. I have high hopes for McD, but if you don't like him, it could be IMO 100 times worse with that guy leading your team.

Even more baffling that he's still HC down in brown town :confused: . Hope Holmgren can pull the right strings.

WARHORSE
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Mangini is a baffling guy. I have high hopes for McD, but if you don't like him, it could be IMO 100 times worse with that guy leading your team.

Even more baffling that he's still HC down in brown town :confused: . Hope Holmgren can pull the right strings.

Mangini strikes me as being about as competent as a doorknob.

He starts Anderson over Quinn last year, and Anderson throws 9 picks to 2 TDs, and he keeps him rolling.

Like I said, Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but........:coffee:

UnderArmour
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Nevermind the fact that the front office makes a point to trade away all of your weapons. Oh? So your favorite receiver is Kellen Winslow? LET'S SEE IF YOU CAN THROW TO HIM NOW THAT HE IS IN TAMPA BAY ROFL!11111111 Oh? So your new favorite WR is Braylon Edwards? LET'S SEE IF YOU CAN THROW TO HIM NOW THAT HE PLAYS FOR THE JETS!!!

It was ridiculous. Being traded away will be the best thing to happen to Quinn's career, so long as we don't throw away his favorite receivers too once he has them. And even if not, he's still not as terrible as Chris Simms was. NOBODY can be that bad.