PDA

View Full Version : Jon's 2010 NFL Mock Bronco Draft

JONtheBRONCO
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Just another thread, but I wanted to share with you guys what I'm hoping happens during the draft/prior to it. These are the moves I feel the Broncos should make in order to keep building a good, competitive football team for 2010.

Round 1, pick 11: Earl Thomas, S Texas
- A football player. Makes plays all over the field. Right now the Broncos defense is, "good." Earl Thomas is another stepping stone to making it great. We all know the Broncos needs along the defensive line and offensive lines, but Thomas is too good to pass up. I know this is a deep safety class, but feel Thomas is right there with Berry. Earl Thomas has the ability to play both corner and safety, locking up sound depth along our already solid core at DB. I know we have other needs we must address, but I'm a huge believer in best player available in the top 15. Getting the opportunity to draft a kid like Thomas is too good to pass up.

Second round, This is where I'm hoping the Broncos make a some moves.

Broncos trade Brandon Marshall to Bucs for #42(second) and #67(third) and a swap for original 2nd rounders held by both teams. (I know its not the value we all desire, but our value might be different from some other NFL execs)

That would leave the Broncos with #35, #42 in the second.

Round 2, pick 35: Terrance Cody, NT, Alabama
Hopefully we gobble him up before San Diego gets him. Jamal Williams is 34, and on the decline. I'm a big believer he will have a positive impact for the next couple of years, but building a defense starts in the middle, and once Williams is long gone, Cody will be right there to step in. Imagine a Williams/Cody rotation, and all the freedom our backers will have.

Round 2, pick 42: J.D. Walton, OC, Baylor
Probably our biggest need on the offensive line, maybe on the entire team. J.D. Walton steps right in and gives us a Harris/Kuper/Walton/Olsen/Clady in year two of McD's offensive line transformation.

Round 3: Broncos trade Tony Scheffler/2010 4th round pick to St. Louis for 2010 3rd round pick.

Round 3, pick 65: Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
I almost want to put money down on the Broncos grabbing this guy. An all around solid running back with high character to compliment his game on the field. At 6'1, 215lbs, Hardesty brings the wood and can move the pile. Drafting Hardesty here gives depth to the RB position and allows a nice 1-2 punch in the teeth with Buckhalter to bust the big ones.

Round 3, pick 67: Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
I think Spikes falls this far. You see year after year the NFL waiting to select ILB until the middle of the draft. Inside backers with speed concerns are likely to fall even further, but because Spikes was so productive in the SEC and his competitiveness and leadership skills are valuable, Denver decides to add this thumper to the middle.

Round 3, pick 80: Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida
Gives us a bigger body to fill the void left by Brandon. Still somewhat of a project, Mitchell has the skills to develop into a number one guy.

I'll leave it at that, but I do believe McDaniels will make more moves in order to get a 4th or 5th rounder back. I'd like to add some more depth on the offensive and defensive lines with those picks. I still say we are another draft away from being one of the top dogs in the AFC. But adding a play maker like Thomas, filling the interiors with Walton and Cody, plugging Spikes in the middle and adding some more offensive weapons round three is where I'd like to see the Broncos go.

Ziggy
04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
You're trade scenario for Marshall comes out to about the 20th-21st pick in the first round. A lot of us would be thrilled to get that much value for him, but the Bucs really have no incentive to give up that much. They have too many holes, and the owner isn't exactly known for his generosity when it comes to handing out contracts.

JONtheBRONCO
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I understand that. But there a couple clubs with two second rounders, or a high second and third. This draft is so deep I'd rather have 2 picks in the second or a high second and third, with additional picks - than #20 and on. Bucs, Pats, Rams?

broncobryce
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I would certainly take Spikes if we can get him in the third