PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clady V. Chris Williams....

TheSportsGuru
04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Everyone has an opinion, including us over at the MHR....

http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2008/4/14/135850/027

Stargazer
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Ryan Harris

shank
04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Denver can use either, but they can only take one.

they could take neither!

good writeup. i agree with you comparisons. i am hesitant on clady because of the dreaded p-word, potential being thrown around. potential just has not payed off for us in the past, and i have a feeling our bad drafting omen would take over with clady. mental lapses are a big flag for a LT for me. i prefer williams smarts, work ethic, and concentration over clady's potential.

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Hmm, so your opinion is what exactly? From what I read, you wouldn't commit to either being a better choice.

turftoad
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Williams.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Williams and about 3 other OT before I select Clady.

MOtorboat
04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Hmm, so your opinion is what exactly? From what I read, you wouldn't commit to either being a better choice.

I think it's take the best tackle on the board.

LRtagger
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I really hope Clady is selected before pick 12 so he wont even be an option

lex
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Id feel best about taking Williams. And a big reason is level of competition. Yeah, Clady did well against Oklahoma but I want to see what a guy does when he's not at his best as well as when he plays well and playing in the SEC is best at revealing that. I think Williams is athletic enough. He's not the strongest LT but neither is Harris. I think Williams might be the best LT in the draft.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I say let the wonderlic scores decide it. You have to be smart to play offensive line for the Broncos.

tubby
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I read Clady was dumb and a jerk.

honz
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Williams...say NO to Clady, kids. Clady is bad.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Wonderlic scores: Vanderbilt's Chris Williams (32) and Boise State's Ryan Clady (13)

Requiem / The Dagda
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I'd probably prefer Williams as a safer pick; but I do believe Clady provides more long-term upside. However; I'd rather take a "sure thing" (if that's even possible to say) over unlimited potential. Williams, I guess. I'd honestly be happy with either.

honz
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Wonderlic scores: Vanderbilt's Chris Williams (32) and Boise State's Ryan Clady (13)
That's laughable.

Skinny
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah i like Williams better, reasons already mentioned.

Anyone know what George Foster scored on the wonderlic?? Just curious ...

r8rh8r
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Clady is the only guy I think Denver is truly interested in drafting because his talent is a distinctive fit for our zone blocking scheme. That said, I think this discussion is purely academic; I don't think Clady will be around at pick 12. He should be long gone by then.

Williams is a capable talent but I seriously doubt Denver would grab him at #12. If we move down, maybe. The 8 teams that follow Denver in the draft are all in the market for an upgrade at tackle.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah i like Williams better, reasons already mentioned.

Anyone know what George Foster scored on the wonderlic?? Just curious ...

Foster got a 26

Tackles average 26

Requiem / The Dagda
04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Williams is a capable talent but I seriously doubt Denver would grab him at #12. If we move down, maybe. The 8 teams that follow Denver in the draft are all in the market for an upgrade at tackle.

If that's the case and Denver is truly interested in upgrading the tackle spot - I don't see them trading down unless it's an offer they can refuse. Unless they have a guy like Jeff Otah graded as highly if not higher than Willams and feel that their is a shot that one of them will be there in a trade down.

However, with so many teams in market for a tackle or an upgrade on the offensive line -- Denver might be weary to trade down because they could miss out completely. Guys like Long, Albert, Clady, Williams are probably top fifteen selections; and if you include Otah probably five top twenty guys; with the prospect of Cherilus being into the mix as well somewhere in the 20's. Does Denver really want to risk moving down and missing out on a possible franchise guy?

I don't know; but then again -- tackle might not even be their priority; but Denver should have the opportunity to grab one of the top guys available at their spot. As much as I'd like to see a trade down; I don't know if that will happen; given (as you stated) that so many teams are looking to upgrade. Essentially, I think it's a "make the OT pick or miss the opportunity" scenario with the Broncos at #12.

That doesn't mean they can't find someone at #42; such as a Sam Baker -- but then again, as the pool thins -- the talent decreases. That makes me worry.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll take Sam Baker in the 2nd and jump for joy.

shank
04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Clady is the only guy I think Denver is truly interested in drafting because his talent is a distinctive fit for our zone blocking scheme. That said, I think this discussion is purely academic; I don't think Clady will be around at pick 12. He should be long gone by then.

that sounds like the perfect reason TO grab williams at 12...

r8rh8r
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
If that's the case and Denver is truly interested in upgrading the tackle spot - I don't see them trading down unless it's an offer they can refuse. Unless they have a guy like Jeff Otah graded as highly if not higher than Willams and feel that their is a shot that one of them will be there in a trade down.

However, with so many teams in market for a tackle or an upgrade on the offensive line -- Denver might be weary to trade down because they could miss out completely. Guys like Long, Albert, Clady, Williams are probably top fifteen selections; and if you include Otah probably five top twenty guys; with the prospect of Cherilus being into the mix as well somewhere in the 20's. Does Denver really want to risk moving down and missing out on a possible franchise guy?

I don't know; but then again -- tackle might not even be their priority; but Denver should have the opportunity to grab one of the top guys available at their spot. As much as I'd like to see a trade down; I don't know if that will happen; given (as you stated) that so many teams are looking to upgrade. Essentially, I think it's a "make the OT pick or miss the opportunity" scenario with the Broncos at #12.

That doesn't mean they can't find someone at #42; such as a Sam Baker -- but then again, as the pool thins -- the talent decreases. That makes me worry.

With so many teams looking to grab the top WR, OT, or CB in this year's draft, Denver is in a position to get great value for their pick. I think that their ideal scenario would be to get an extra 2nd rounder to move into the 20's where they can draft SS, RB, DT, or ILB and then add another offensive lineman (C, G, or T) in round 2-4. There is so much help available at ILB and RB in particular from 20 to 52, Denver would add more value grabbing a pair of prospects in that range, in my opinion.

There is always the possibility that they trade down and Otah or Williams drop to them too, which would be a far better value than at 12.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I would rather Jonathan Stewart and Sam Baker than Chris Williams or Ryan Clady.

shank
04-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I would rather Jonathan Stewart and Sam Baker than Chris Williams or Ryan Clady.

you're not bothered by baker's terrible pro day?

(or is it just that you're that high on stewart? and don't worry, i know how much you like stewart haha)

Drill-N-Fill
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I say let the wonderlic scores decide it. You have to be smart to play offensive line for the Broncos.

You have to be smarter to play QB, but that doesn't mean anything. Just ask good ol' Brian Griese. Dan Marino scored terrible (if I remember right).

Personally, I was big on Clady, but i'm jumping on the Williams bandwagon after his performance at the combines and interviews. But I would take either of them over a RB. JMO.

Skinny
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I'll take Sam Baker in the 2nd and jump for joy.I have'nt seen him play much, but from what i've read about him, he's the more 'technique' sound guy of the group, just not as athletic with the upside of the projected higher OTs to go before him.

r8rh8r
04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll take Sam Baker in the 2nd and jump for joy.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. When you put it in terms of the opportunity cost, the exorbitant cost of these tackles articulated much more effectively. Great point.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I have'nt seen him play much, but from what i've read about him, he's the more 'technique' sound guy of the group, just not as athletic with the upside of the projected higher OTs to go before him.

Guy is a 3 time All American and he had a good combine but a bad Pro day.

Offensive tackle Sam Baker looked good in positional drills, but was considerably slower in the 40 than he had been at the Combine. In Indianapolis, Baker was clocked at a very respectable 5.09. But his first dash Wednesday was timed at 5.49. His second was faster (5.37), but not nearly as good as his previous work. Offensive guard Chilo Rachal timed in slower than expected in the short shuttle (4.85) and three-cone drills (7.91). Cornerback Terrell Thomas was timed in the mid-4.5s Wednesday after clocking 4.45 at the Combine. In proving he can run in the mid-4.4s earlier, there remain a number of teams who feel he can play cornerback in the NFL, though many feel he'll ultimately be moved to free safety. Defensive end Lawrence Jackson elected not to run or jump after a good performance at the Combine, but had a solid showing in positional drills. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

02/15/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: LT Sam Baker was slowed by a hamstring injury for part of 2007, but played well enough to become a three-time All-American. He has good size and advanced technical skills, but was disappointing in workouts at the Senior Bowl, not as fluid as the scouts would like when having to move and adjust. His stock has dropped from the first round.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Baker's an interesting prospect; but a guy that really disappointed this season after being regarded as a possible top fifteen pick had he left his junior season. He has been bothered with minor injuries, and never seemed to excel at any point during the season. USC's whole line was pretty ravaged this past year. He's an ideal fit for the team; but there are some concerns. I think he's worth #42; but his short arms have led some people to believe he might be an interior lineman at the next level; some teams have even suggested center as a position for him.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Otah

Skinny
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Good stuff ...

shank
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
baker's bad pro day could be a blessing in disguise if we go RB in rd 1 and he's still there at 42. before that he was late 1st early 2nd material, maybe he'll be around.

i just read a blurb earlier that said with his bad pro day scouts doubt his ability to play T in the NFL, but this confused me because up until then he was considered 1st round talent by many! it'll kinda suck if we go williams/clady in 1 and baker is sitting there waiting at 42

r8rh8r
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM

Williams is either a 12th-pick value or he's not. His true value is unmolested by the demand for a player with his credentials. His intrinsic price is completely driven by these demand conditions.

These types of situations are where winners and losers are made in the draft and in the economy in general. GM's who draft based on price rather than overall value will tend to overpay for talent. If Williams isn't the 12th best player in the draft (which I don't think he is), and someone is willing to give Denver 12th-pick value in exchange for him, we should take that deal 100% of the time.

Remember, the fact that a player gets drafted at a particular pick is not necessarily indicative of their value, only of their price. To me, Williams is 25th-pick value for 12th-pick price. That's a sucker pick.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Lots of options at OT

Carl Nicks 341 lbs and ran a 5.12 and has long arms.
Duane Brown (my personal favorite) Should be very good for our ZBS
Sam Baker, 3 time all-american
Tony Hills, big guy with room to grow and moves really well
Oniel Cousins, another ZBS guy who moves really well
Kirk Barton, big guy who moves well, does have some knee concerns
Jeremy Zuttah, (another personal favorite) guy can do it all
Brandon Keith, 349 pounder who ran a 4.98, interesting to say the least
Brian Stamper, very strong and moves well

lex
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Lots of options at OT

Carl Nicks 341 lbs and ran a 5.12 and has long arms.
Duane Brown (my personal favorite) Should be very good for our ZBS
Sam Baker, 3 time all-american
Tony Hills, big guy with room to grow and moves really well
Oniel Cousins, another ZBS guy who moves really well
Kirk Barton, big guy who moves well, does have some knee concernsJeremy Zuttah, (another personal favorite) guy can do it all
Brandon Keith, 349 pounder who ran a 4.98, interesting to say the least
Brian Stamper, very strong and moves well

Im sure Jarvis Moss would love that. It would give him someone to abuse in practice like he did in the NC game. BTW, Brandon Keith and Carl Nicks both have been recently arrested.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Im sure Jarvis Moss would love that. It would give him someone to abuse in practice like he did in the NC game. BTW, Brandon Keith and Carl Nicks both have been recently arrested.

Carl Nicks has some anger management problems, but if you want a guy who is a monster and plays with a mean streak... this is your guy. Guy doesn't like to lose and wants to kill whoever lines up against him.

03/10/08 - Two current Nebraska football players and two former players with NFL Draft hopes got in trouble when police busted a party they were at Saturday night. Police say they ticketed Maurice Purify, 22, Carl Nicks, 22, Ben Martin, 19, and Mike V. Smith, 19, after they were called to 3124 Mickaela Lane in northwest Lincoln just before midnight Sunday about a loud party. Officer Katie Flood said police arrived to find the music could be heard from the sidewalk and more than 75 people inside. Empty beer cans littered the home. Flood said police cited 10 partygoers who remained after officers told everyone to leave, including the four. Smith was accused of maintaining a disorderly house, and Purify and Martin of being inmates of a disorderly house. Police arrested Nicks on suspicion of being an inmate of a disorderly house and failure to disperse after he wouldn’t leave. He since has been released. Martin, a graduate of Lincoln Southwest, is a sophomore defensive lineman who played in six games and had three tackles last season. Smith, a sophomore from Las Vegas, backed up Nicks at left tackle last year, and is a candidate to start this season. Husker coach Bo Pelini said he was aware of the situation and it will be dealt with internally. - Lincoln Journal Star

r8rh8r
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Carl Nicks has some anger management problems, but if you want a guy who is a monster and plays with a mean streak... this is your guy. Guy doesn't like to lose and wants to kill whoever lines up against him.

03/10/08 - Two current Nebraska football players and two former players with NFL Draft hopes got in trouble when police busted a party they were at Saturday night. Police say they ticketed Maurice Purify, 22, Carl Nicks, 22, Ben Martin, 19, and Mike V. Smith, 19, after they were called to 3124 Mickaela Lane in northwest Lincoln just before midnight Sunday about a loud party. Officer Katie Flood said police arrived to find the music could be heard from the sidewalk and more than 75 people inside. Empty beer cans littered the home. Flood said police cited 10 partygoers who remained after officers told everyone to leave, including the four. Smith was accused of maintaining a disorderly house, and Purify and Martin of being inmates of a disorderly house. Police arrested Nicks on suspicion of being an inmate of a disorderly house and failure to disperse after he wouldn’t leave. He since has been released. Martin, a graduate of Lincoln Southwest, is a sophomore defensive lineman who played in six games and had three tackles last season. Smith, a sophomore from Las Vegas, backed up Nicks at left tackle last year, and is a candidate to start this season. Husker coach Bo Pelini said he was aware of the situation and it will be dealt with internally. - Lincoln Journal Star

The audacity...

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgefGxYwMSI&feature=related

Sam Baker's truck

good watch

topscribe
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Williams is either a 12th-pick value or he's not. His true value is unmolested by the demand for a player with his credentials. His intrinsic price is completely driven by these demand conditions.

These types of situations are where winners and losers are made in the draft and in the economy in general. GM's who draft based on price rather than overall value will tend to overpay for talent. If Williams isn't the 12th best player in the draft (which I don't think he is), and someone is willing to give Denver 12th-pick value in exchange for him, we should take that deal 100% of the time.

Remember, the fact that a player gets drafted at a particular pick is not necessarily indicative of their value, only of their price. To me, Williams is 25th-pick value for 12th-pick price. That's a sucker pick.

I don't know . . . I'm not sure I buy into this "reaching" business as much
as some. After all, the bottom line to the whole thing composes wins and
championships.

I mean, say we get down to #12, and the 12th best player on the board is
deemed a running back. How much difference is that running back going to
make in getting us championships, as opposed to a powerful offensive line?
Do we ignore a great big hole in our offensive line to take that estimated
#12 player in the draft? So if taking a #15, #20, or #24 offensive tackle at
#12 will open more holes for the RBs we have and protect our QB so he can
still be playing in the 16th week, is that so bad? Even if it is a bit of a
"reach"?

I'm not so sure I will be throwing a beer bottle through the TV screen if
Williams is selected at #12. :whoknows:

-----

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgefGxYwMSI&feature=related

Sam Baker's truck

good watch

Maybe he can get some driving lessons with his rookie contract bonus money. :laugh: That dude aint quite right in the head. I like him.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I also kinda like Barry Richardson from Clemson later on.

lex
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I also kinda like Barry Richardson from Clemson later on.

I like him as a RT or OG...and I like McDuffie as an OG too.

Crush05
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
IMO Williams hands down!!! So let it be written, so let it be done!!!!:cool:

manni48
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
if i were the broncos i would take. if there.

1 RD: DE Calais Campbell
2 RD: RB Kevin Smith (UCF) or RB Jonathan Stewart
4 RD: DT Letroy Guion
4 RD: S Thomas Decoud
5 RD: OLB Bruce Davis
5 RD: QB Erik Ainge
6 RD: WR Eddie Royal
7 RD: OT Corey Clark
7 RD: OT Matt Spanos

Drill-N-Fill
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
if i were the broncos i would take. if there.

1 RD: DE Calais Campbell
2 RD: RB Kevin Smith (UCF) or RB Jonathan Stewart
4 RD: DT Letroy Guion
4 RD: S Thomas Decoud
5 RD: OLB Bruce Davis
5 RD: QB Erik Ainge
6 RD: WR Eddie Royal
7 RD: OT Corey Clark
7 RD: OT Matt Spanos

Lets see...hmm ha huh yep, not going to happen. :eek:

Lonestar
04-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe he can get some driving lessons with his rookie contract bonus money. :laugh: That dude aint quite right in the head. I like him.

Stink2 anyone..

TXBRONC
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Great stuff Guru.

I would still take Williams over Clady because one he's smarter and two he played against elite competition week in and week out.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Clady then Williams (then Stewart then Mendenhall)......so you can bet on the Broncos drafting exactly none of these players and then watch them draft some Bill Gates clone in the 6th round......

TXBRONC
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM

From what I have gathered Williams wouldn't be a reach at 12.

hamrob
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
What I like about Clady is that he has a nasty streak. I haven't heard that about Williams. But if I have to pick between the two...I'd take Williams.

However, I think the best pick if we're going to go Offensive Line in the 1st round would be Alberts. He's just as big as Clady and Williams and has played all four line positions outside of Center. This guy would plug in somewhere. We could work him in at Tackle or Guard and have some security if Harris doesn't work out at LT.

WARHORSE
04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Id rather have Williams. Williams can possibly come in and play right away. Clady cannot. Plus, character wise, Williams is our guy.

IF, that is, we go OT at 12...........:coffee::D

Lonestar
04-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Id rather have Williams. Williams can possibly come in and play right away. Clady cannot. Plus, character wise, Williams is our guy.

intelligence wise he is our guy also..

TXBRONC
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM

While I doubt that he would start right away I would still be very happy about picking Williams.

Ziggy
04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I beleive the Broncos brought Williams in for a visit. Has Shanahan ever drafted anyone in the first that he brought in for a visit?Anyone know?

TXBRONC
04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I beleive the Broncos brought Williams in for a visit. Has Shanahan ever drafted anyone in the first that he brought in for a visit?Anyone know?

That's good question. I can't think of anyone that we have done that with. :confused: