PDA

View Full Version : PFW: NFL Draft Classes

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Pro Football Weekly has done an analysis of the last five draft classes, and here's the tail end of the article.

"Six teams have not drafted a Pro Bowler in the past five seasons — the Packers, Buccaneers, Panthers, Broncos, Raiders and Dolphins. Every one of those clubs but Oakland had head coaches during that five-year period with significant, if not complete, control over personnel. That approach would appear to be a really bad idea and suggests that the Dolphins and Falcons, in first seeking strong front-office guys before hiring head coaches, were moving in the right direction.

While I take no satisfaction in anointing the worst personnel department in the NFL over the past five seasons — at least as it relates to college scouting and talent evaluation — the Broncos are the winners/losers in a rout. Despite being tied for the seventh-most total draft choices (26) from 2003-05, the Broncos are last in players drafted over that span who were still on the roster (four), 31st in players drafted the past five years who were still on the roster (13), and last in starters drafted between 2003-05 (one) and over the past five seasons (five).

The Broncos are tied for 25th in undrafted rookie free agents to make a roster, but only the Saints, Bucs and 49ers have fewer. Mike Shanahan has earned his reputation as one of the best coaches in the NFL, but it would appear to have been well past the time for him to find someone else to oversee Denver’s personnel department. The Broncos fired longtime GM Ted Sundquist in March, but most observers believe Shanahan has had a much greater role in the team’s personnel decisions than Sundquist ever did."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...ntro.htm#teams

OUCH!

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Ugh!

claymore
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I really, really hope Sundquist was the problem.

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I think many of us have been echoing this sentiment in recent forums. Hard to argue with those numbers.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I think this article doesn't mention one fact..... Marshall, Dumervil, and D.J. Williams could of been Pro Bowlers last year and Culter is a potential guy for that role in the near future. You could throw in guys like Crowder, Thomas, and Scheffler in those talks for the near future too. Also, I would gladly give up pro bowls for super bowls... all that matters is that the guys we draft start helping us win some games... I could really care less if they are pro bowlers.

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I think this article doesn't mention one fact..... Marshall, Dumervil, and D.J. Williams could of been Pro Bowlers last year and Culter is a potential guy for that role in the near future. You could throw in guys like Crowder, Thomas, and Scheffler in those talks for the near future too.

Our last 2-3 drafts which are still too recent to evaluate well, give me hope for the future that Shanny has figured it out, and has improved this area.

It's just so hard to dig yourself out of a hole once you have dug it. Here's hoping for another decent draft.

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I think we'll have a good idea after this season on how good last year's draft was. The draft of 2006 may well turn out to be the best in Broncos history.

LRtagger
04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
No suprises there

frauschieze
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I think we'll have a good idea after this season on how good last year's draft was. The draft of 2006 may well turn out to be the best in Broncos history.

I don't think there's a way that 2006 will beat the class of 2005. Not at the present moment.

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think there's a way that 2006 will beat the class of 2005. Not at the present moment.

Maurice Clarrett fan?

frauschieze
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Maurice Clarrett fan?

LMAO! I got my years backwards! Did you know it's still 2007?

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
2005 draft class-
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Dominique Foxworth
Maurice Clarrett
Chris Meyers
Paul Ernster

2006 Draft Class-
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshal
Elvis Dumervil
Domenik Hixon
Chris Kuper
Greg Eslinger

We'll agree to disagree I guess

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
LMAO! I got my years backwards! Did you know it's still 2007?

I was beginning to wonder ;)

frauschieze
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I was beginning to wonder ;)

I was in a hurry on that post. The short bus was waiting to pick me up. :laugh: