PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Visiting Terrence Cody

BigBroncLove
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Generally speaking, we don't put much weight into the "who's visiting who" nonsense of the run-up to the NFL draft. This is, as we've said a time or two, the portion of the year when blue eyes turn the deepest shade of brown. So we've tried this year to get away from the machine-gun barrage of players who are going to see this team and that team.

Here's the summary: A lot of potential draft picks will visit a lot of teams before the draft. And there's little or no correlation between those visits and where the guy will be drafted.

But some of the high-profile guys catch our attention. One such guy is this year's winner of the Alabama man-boob competition, defensive tackle Terrence Cody.

We're told that he will visit the Ravens, Redskins, Chargers, Broncos, and Chiefs.

Again, it doesn't mean that any of those teams are serious about Cody. Hell, it could be that they simply want to see him do the Truffle Shuffle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/teams-are-checking-out-terrence-cody/

OldschoolFreak
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Please no.

OrangeHoof
04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Wait. Are we visiting him or is he visiting us? Is he too big to get on a plane now? I'm sure Southwest would charge him for two seats so maybe it's just cheaper to send scouts to him rather than flying him up here.

I wonder if the pilot demands a few other things be tossed from the plane to make sure it is light enough to take off when Cody is a passenger.

BigBroncLove
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Wait. Are we visiting him or is he visiting us? Is he too big to get on a plane now? I'm sure Southwest would charge him for two seats so maybe it's just cheaper to send scouts to him rather than flying him up here.

I wonder if the pilot demands a few other things be tossed from the plane to make sure it is light enough to take off when Cody is a passenger.

No, but wherever he lands, bra sales will likely spike upward by 20%.

LTC Pain
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Please no.

Quad hell no!! Cody is a gelatinus Pilsbury dough anomoly that needs a custom made man-bra. The only way he will make a tackle is if the other teams accidently runs into the jello pile playing at NT!

dogfish
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
man, you guys sure must have watched a different terrence cody play college ball than i did. . . .

:huh:

dude may be a fatass, but let's not act like he can't play. . . .

underrated29
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
man, you guys sure must have watched a different terrence cody play college ball than i did. . . .

My thoughts too.
He owned in RUN D! and Also helped in JUMBO on goaline as a FB.- no body wants to block that man coming downhill!

Yes, our thin air will likely cause him a heart attack, but i would be thrilled if we drafted him in the 2nd rd. I have a feeling though, San Diego will take him with their first.

But lets not forget that we rotate our DL often, and even when he is tired and takes plays off he can still wear down opposing OL by resting on them and making them hold his fatass up.

Rick
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I must have lost the translation of what a NT is in a 3-4 somewhere...

In a 3-4 defensive scheme, the nose tackle is the sole defensive tackle, lining up directly opposite the center in the "0-technique" position. Like the traditional 4-3, the nose tackle must occupy the center and one guard, typically the weak-side or pulling guard. One defensive end then matches up with both the strongside tackle and/or strongside guard, while the other has a 1-on-1 matchup with the offense's blindside tackle. This leaves the outside linebackers free to pass-rush, creating the 3-4 scheme's distinctive pressure on the passing game.

In order for a 3-4 scheme to be effective, a dominating nose tackle who can constantly occupy 2 or even 3 blockers is needed. However, these type of players are hard to find. Ted Washington, who in his prime weighted as much as 380 pounds, is considered the prototypical 3-4 nose tackle of this era.

I am pretty sure he is big enough to do his one job, occupy blockers and let our LBers run free.

BigBroncLove
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
:D So I guess its illegal now to joke on a players man boobs!

Listen Cody is a solid player at the point of attack, and he is obviously at best a two down player. I don't think anyone believes, at least at this point, he can be an every down player. Do we need one? no... not until we play indy this year and Manning does his usual no huddle or 12th man on the field stunts. However how likely do you think we will actually be able to get him in the second round?

With SD's need at NT, and their new higher 2nd round pick my assumption is Cody is gone before we can try and grab him there and unless we get a low 1st or high 2nd with Marshall. Not to mention all the other teams who will be at the top of the 2nd who will not have been able to address the position in the First round. KC and buffalo are possibles as well. Regardless I think the point is moot without draft day maneuvering.

slim
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Sure, everyone make fun of the fat kid.

Fatties are people too.

D1g1tal j1m
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Fatties are people too.

I wouldn't make fun of fat kids, but after this pic circulated it was hard not to chuckle....
http://www.ourkitchensink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/terrence-cody.jpg

slim
04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't make fun of fat kids, but after this pic circulated it was hard not to chuckle....
http://www.ourkitchensink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/terrence-cody.jpg

That could be the cover on next months National Geographic.

honz
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Fatties are people too.

Shut it fatty.

Ziggy
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I see people talking all the time about NT's that are only 2 down players. The only 2 that really are 3 down players full time in the NFL are Ngata and Raji. Both play end most of the time on first and second down and move inside on passing downs. Wilfork, Hampton, Pickett, Franklin....these guys almost always come out on passing downs. There's nothing wrong with getting a "2 down NT' that can dominate against the run. If Cody falls to our pick in the 2nd, he'd be great value there.

BigBroncLove
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I see people talking all the time about NT's that are only 2 down players. The only 2 that really are 3 down players full time in the NFL are Ngata and Raji. Both play end most of the time on first and second down and move inside on passing downs. Wilfork, Hampton, Pickett, Franklin....these guys almost always come out on passing downs. There's nothing wrong with getting a "2 down NT' that can dominate against the run. If Cody falls to our pick in the 2nd, he'd be great value there.

Really you'd like to have a group of NT's you could rotate fairly consistently to keep all of them fresh. Everyone knows the key to the 3-4 is the NT properly occupying 2 OLinemen. Keeping them fresh can only work for the team. However there are two key knocks on both 3-4 NT's in the upper echelon of the draft. The 2 down thing isn't his main draw back but feeds into whether he can play at a high level, even in rotation, for an entire game (rotated or not).

Dan Williams being his upper body strength and standing up against opponents at time. This I think is correctable given his excessively freakish lower body strength and some time to grow. He has room to grow on his upper body frame, just needs to get there.

Terrence Cody's key knock is work ethic. Sure he worked hard to drop a few pounds before the combine (what was it, 8 pounds lost or something like that) and ran a solid 40, but throughout his collegiate career this has been an issue. From his weight, to maintaining strength, both have been a problem.

To me the two more glaring is work ethic. Does it mean he cna't overcome it? no... he finally has the monetary incentive to do it, but honestly I think it's one of the biggest problems a draftable player can be pegged with. Gaines Adams had it (RIP), JaMarcus Russell did, as have a lot of players. All and all when players have this potential issue coming into the league, more tend to follow the same path then those who overcome it.

SOCALORADO.
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I just think Cody would blow an O-Ring in the thin air, and literally die on the field at Invesco.
DWilliams just looks like a mean, bad ass. Hes big, but he looks like hes in shape.
Have any of you seen Williams play?
He has a little bit of a pudgy belly, but hes much more thick than fat, and his hips and ass and legs are freaking huge!
His lower frame is just a tree stump.
Better motor too.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1106/ncf_u_williams_600.jpg

JDL
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Cody will be a great player in the NFL, imo... but I really don't see him being as effective at altitude... although I here altitude helps keep your weight down... but seriously. Ted Washington did well for 1 season here, but longterm probably would not have been very effective as he got older and his weight became more of an issue.

We pretty much need the Jason Ferguson type of NTs Bill Parcell's loves... and those are MOST of your NTs in the league now... you don't need to spend high picks on them. I have no problem with Dan Williams only because he can play DE on 1st/2nd down and move to NT on 3rd downs and provides some very nice return on investment.

Ziggy
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I really don't think Dan Williams will be available at 11 Socal. Even if he drops to 10, something tells me that Parcells has his eye on him and will jump the Broncos slot to nab him for the Dolphins.

SOCALORADO.
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I really don't think Dan Williams will be available at 11 Socal. Even if he drops to 10, something tells me that Parcells has his eye on him and will jump the Broncos slot to nab him for the Dolphins.

Man, his stock has really gone up!

honz
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Your body adjusts to thin air over time. Him not being able to play at high altitude is a lame reason/excuse for not wanting him.

slim
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Your body adjusts to thin air over time. Him not being able to play at high altitude is a lame reason/excuse for not wanting him.

Tell that to Michael Dean Perry.

Ziggy
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Man, his stock has really gone up!

It started going up with his senior season. It went up more with his senior bowl performance. It went up more when 4 NFL teams franchised thier 3-4 NT this offseason. It went up even more when Buffalo moved to a 3-4 and couldn't find a good NT to plug in in FA. It went up yet again when Miami's NT was suspended for the first 8 games of this season. Add it all up and his stock has gone up immensely. This is all just my opinion of course. :D

TXBRONC
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I like what I've seen from Cody more than what I've seen from Dan Williams. That's not to say that if Denver drafted Williams that I would be disappointed it's just that I think Cody might turn out to be better.

TXBRONC
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Really you'd like to have a group of NT's you could rotate fairly consistently to keep all of them fresh. Everyone knows the key to the 3-4 is the NT properly occupying 2 OLinemen. Keeping them fresh can only work for the team. However there are two key knocks on both 3-4 NT's in the upper echelon of the draft. The 2 down thing isn't his main draw back but feeds into whether he can play at a high level, even in rotation, for an entire game (rotated or not).

Dan Williams being his upper body strength and standing up against opponents at time. This I think is correctable given his excessively freakish lower body strength and some time to grow. He has room to grow on his upper body frame, just needs to get there.

Terrence Cody's key knock is work ethic. Sure he worked hard to drop a few pounds before the combine (what was it, 8 pounds lost or something like that) and ran a solid 40, but throughout his collegiate career this has been an issue. From his weight, to maintaining strength, both have been a problem.

To me the two more glaring is work ethic. Does it mean he cna't overcome it? no... he finally has the monetary incentive to do it, but honestly I think it's one of the biggest problems a draftable player can be pegged with. Gaines Adams had it (RIP), JaMarcus Russell did, as have a lot of players. All and all when players have this potential issue coming into the league, more tend to follow the same path then those who overcome it.

When Hampton came out I remember that their were rumors about him not have solid work ethic. Many were worried that Wilfork would have a hard time controling his weight and that maybe he didn't work as hard as he should.

LTC Pain
04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
When Hampton came out I remember that their were rumors about him not have solid work ethic. Many were worried that Wilfork would have a hard time controling his weight and that maybe he didn't work as hard as he should.

Rumors are one thing but photographs of Cody at the Senior Bowl prove he hasn't kept himself in shape. D. Williams is in tremendous shape so not an issue there. So the question is Cody's work ethic and what risk will the Broncos be taking by drafting him. Obviously players that are self-driven/motivated are easier to coach and manage than those that aren't. I'd take D. Williams :)

BigBroncLove
04-01-2010, 05:01 PM

I'll just repost this part in the original post you responded to because I think it clearly states my position on the issue... players overcoming this problem, and those who don't. No generality can ever be applied to the whole without exceptions, and I never said this one did.

WARHORSE
04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Cody is a beast in the run game. If he got stronger he could play run defense almost by himself.

Against the run, hes that dominant.

Id like to see him get super strong, and become an unstoppable force.........IF he played for us.

If not, I hope he loses himself in Campbells soup and turkey legs.

EMB6903
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Rumors are one thing but photographs of Cody at the Senior Bowl prove he hasn't kept himself in shape. D. Williams is in tremendous shape so not an issue there. So the question is Cody's work ethic and what risk will the Broncos be taking by drafting him. Obviously players that are self-driven/motivated are easier to coach and manage than those that aren't. I'd take D. Williams :)

Hampton, Wilfork, Ngata, Williams, Jenkins, and Shaun Rogers all have been very productive 2 gap tackles in this league...

Not one of them passes the "eye test"

Whoever takes Cody is getting a steal because when judging these 2 players on the field? its not even close

Cody is so much more of an impact then Williams.

Just because hes naturally a very big speciman means he doesnt have a work ethic?

I dont buy it. Ive never seen any signs of lazyness from Cody on the field.

JDL
04-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Tell that to Michael Dean Perry.

Or Ryan Clark for that matter... or the 49er OL that died... some people's bodies really don't handle the thin air very well particularly players of size because being that size requires more energy, which requires more oxygen and the body can only do so much to compensate... why in the world do you think Denver has not really ever had a lot of fat@sses even CU ... those guys get winded very quickly even after training in the altitude. There's simply nothing some people can do about it ... some people are naturally much larger and just not a good fit. Some people struggle badly in humidity or heat... I played entire games as a catcher in 100-110 degree weather and it never bothered me, but walking up a flight of stairs in heavy humidity was a struggle, even after 3 years of living in that environment. Some guys can't play in cold weather... guess what ... ALL that stuff entirely matters... pretty ignorant to ignore its effect.

dogfish
04-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Or Ryan Clark for that matter... or the 49er OL that died... some people's bodies really don't handle the thin air very well particularly players of size because being that size requires more energy, which requires more oxygen and the body can only do so much to compensate... why in the world do you think Denver has not really ever had a lot of fat@sses even CU ... those guys get winded very quickly even after training in the altitude. There's simply nothing some people can do about it ... some people are naturally much larger and just not a good fit. Some people struggle badly in humidity or heat... I played entire games as a catcher in 100-110 degree weather and it never bothered me, but walking up a flight of stairs in heavy humidity was a struggle, even after 3 years of living in that environment. Some guys can't play in cold weather... guess what ... ALL that stuff entirely matters... pretty ignorant to ignore its effect.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1299/motivator9413618.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/motivator9413618.jpg/)

Superchop 7
04-02-2010, 08:39 AM
How many 100 yard rushing games did Cody give up in his entire career ?

You are a fool if you think this guy "won't" be a stud.

TXBRONC
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Talent wise I like what I see in Cody more than that of Williams. Both are terrfic prospects but I think Cody is better.

Superchop 7
04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I like Williams too, good post TX.

LTC Pain
04-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Talent wise I like what I see in Cody more than that of Williams. Both are terrfic prospects but I think Cody is better.

Can't disagree the TX :) But Coach McDaniels wants "players of good character" on the roster. Does Cody's lack of desire to keep himself in shape put him in or outside of that group? Like I said before, players that are self-driven are much easier to coach and manage than those that are lazy and have to be constantly hounded to peform to a standard. Cody may be a baller of a NT but my concern is how his lack of desire to stay in top shape effects other areas of his game that we haven't seen yet.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
All I can say on this matter is this: I've seen Cody play a lot. He MADE that defense. Rolando McLain? Nobody would even know his name if it weren't for Cody eating up blockers to allow him to run free on almost EVERY PLAY. You just couldn't run on 'Bama because of him. Short yardage? Goal line? Forget about it, he's going to stand up your O-line and you will get ZERO push up the gut.

Isn't that exactly what you want in a NT?

Oh, and I see a ton of people talking about big guys in the thin air in this thread. It begs the question, when we bring in all these super fatties that everyone wants for our O-line to run McDaniels' new man-blocking scheme, how are they going to perform in the thin air? How's a guy like Iupati going to hold up (330+)? Are we going to have to start rotating O-linemen, too? Maybe the idea of smaller, more athletic linemen in the thin air of Denver wasn't such a crazy idea after all? Maybe I'm just out to lunch?

SoCalImport
04-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I would be Jumping for joy if we managed to get Cody in the second...

Nomad
04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
All I can say on this matter is this: I've seen Cody play a lot. He MADE that defense. Rolando McLain? Nobody would even know his name if it weren't for Cody eating up blockers to allow him to run free on almost EVERY PLAY. You just couldn't run on 'Bama because of him. Short yardage? Goal line? Forget about it, he's going to stand up your O-line and you will get ZERO push up the gut.

?

I watched Cody play in most of his games and you're spot on. He made the rest of the defense look better which a NG is supposed to do! Whether he can bring that same intensity and talent to the NFL remains to be seen but you could say that about any rookie coming out of the draft!!

Mr D
04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
How's a guy like Iupati going to hold up (330+)? Are we going to have to start rotating O-linemen, too? Maybe the idea of smaller, more athletic linemen in the thin air of Denver wasn't such a crazy idea after all? Maybe I'm just out to lunch?

Players get tired, no matter what size.

However, players never get smaller.

And seriously - it's a scheme thing... you're looking too much into it with the thin air thing... is it true? Yeah, however every team faces the same situation when they play in Denver anyways/

T.K.O.
04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
not to mention the players who live and workout at altitude are not affected after they adjust.well certainly no where near as much as visitors.
so it may actually give him an edge:salute:

Nomad
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
SD, who is at sea level, hasn't had a problem kicking the BRONCOS rearend in Denver!! I believe players are in better shape than they were even 15 yrs ago/beyond and they adjust better to the altitude, so Denver believing they have an advantage is niave and same could be said for the 'big' men. They're in better condition and handle the altitude better!

When we lived in Utah (not as high as Denver but still well above sea level, I used to run alot (just out of the military). And we went to La for a visit and I went to take a run and about died because of the humidity and I was in tip top shape still. The air was so thick, maybe this is why the BRONCOS always have a hard time in Miami!

T.K.O.
04-04-2010, 10:31 AM
SD, who is at sea level, hasn't had a problem kicking the BRONCOS rearend in Denver!! I believe players are in better shape than they were even 15 yrs ago/beyond and they adjust better to the altitude, so Denver believing they have an advantage is niave and same could be said for the 'big' men. They're in better condition and handle the altitude better!

When we lived in Utah (not as high as Denver but still well above sea level, I used to run alot (just out of the military). And we went to La for a visit and I went to take a run and about died because of the humidity and I was in tip top shape still. The air was so thick, maybe this is why the BRONCOS always have a hard time in Miami!

i agree however,the altitude does affect visiting teams....IT's SCIENCE !:laugh:
that doesnt mean a better team cant come to denver and kick their butt's.
it does mean that the players will have physical issues with the change .
also the broncos have worked hard to use the psychological aspect to their advantage.
when the visiting team exits their locker room,the first thing they see is a huge painted sign that reads "invesco field at mile high....elevation 5280 ft"
they had sports psychologists study effective ways to get inside the other guys heads.;)

Nomad
04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
i agree however,the altitude does affect visiting teams....IT's SCIENCE !:laugh:
that doesnt mean a better team cant come to denver and kick their butt's.
it does mean that the players will have physical issues with the change .
also the broncos have worked hard to use the psychological aspect to their advantage.
when the visiting team exits their locker room,the first thing they see is a huge painted sign that reads "invesco field at mile high....elevation 5280 ft"
they had sports psychologists study effective ways to get inside the other guys heads.;)

I understand better teams will win, but players are conditioned better and are in better shape than years ago!

OrangeHoof
04-04-2010, 02:19 PM
It begs the question, when we bring in all these super fatties that everyone wants for our O-line to run McDaniels' new man-blocking scheme, how are they going to perform in the thin air? How's a guy like Iupati going to hold up (330+)?

Iupati played at Idaho. I'm not worried about him performing at altitude.

CoachChaz
04-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Isn't that exactly what you want in a NT?

Oh, and I see a ton of people talking about big guys in the thin air in this thread. It begs the question, when we bring in all these super fatties that everyone wants for our O-line to run McDaniels' new man-blocking scheme, how are they going to perform in the thin air? How's a guy like Iupati going to hold up (330+)? Are we going to have to start rotating O-linemen, too? Maybe the idea of smaller, more athletic linemen in the thin air of Denver wasn't such a crazy idea after all? Maybe I'm just out to lunch?

I guess when I see Cody play more than 2 or 3 plays in a row, then I'll buy into the fact he freed McClain up on almost every play.

As far as bringing big guys in to play OL. The difference is these guys are already capable of playing a full series at regular altitude...Cody cant do that yet. How can we expect him to play more than his 2 or 3 plays in a row in thin air?